TCOM Class 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone manage to get a copy of the chat transcript from today's live Q&A? If so, would you mind sending me a copy? I was unable to make it to the session because of exams. Thanks.

It's Monday ~10:15 at night (in Houston) and they haven't sent anything yet (not that I thought they would this soon or anything...), so I'm guessing we'll have it in a couple days or something, if not tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Send it to me too!!! I had to work :(

Just wanted to let you know that I will check this site every now and then and make sure the info is correct. Somebody from your class should be able to post a link or copy of the transcript from last night soon.

One thing I will warn you about is that your curriculum has changed significantly from ours. (I am a first year) So be wary of specific info regarding classes and the order of your first year. I only found this out last night so most of our class probably does not know this.

If you have any questions you can pm me or check out my blog on SDN and write me a message. I will be one of the students giving tours on Saturday and can't wait to see you guys. I really enjoyed spring fling and hope you guys can make it. It was particularly helpful for my wife. I know they will be having a panel with current students and spouses to answer questions.

Congrats and look forward to seeing ya'll soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to let you know that I will check this site every now and then and make sure the info is correct. Somebody from your class should be able to post a link or copy of the transcript from last night soon.

One thing I will warn you about is that your curriculum has changed significantly from ours. (I am a first year) So be wary of specific info regarding classes and the order of your first year. I only found this out last night so most of our class probably does not know this.

If you have any questions you can pm me or check out my blog on SDN and write me a message. I will be one of the students giving tours on Saturday and can't wait to see you guys. I really enjoyed spring fling and hope you guys can make it. It was particularly helpful for my wife. I know they will be having a panel with current students and spouses to answer questions.

Congrats and look forward to seeing ya'll soon.

can you give us more specifics on what you meant by "significantly changed"? is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Do NOT worry about 3rd and 4th year rotations. For now concentrate on getting through years one and two (and step one). But, to ease your minds, TCOM has plentiful and quality rotations. EVERY school sends some students to away sites in the 3rd year. IF you get sent, the school provides housing while you are there. In the 4th year, you don't get 'sent' anywhere. You set up your own rotations where you want them - in Fort Worth, New York, Africa, etc. The increase in DO schools will, hopefully, increase the number of osteopathic residencies, but has nothing to do with "options" for core rotations.

In the 3rd year you will have the *option* of moving to Corpus Christi for all of the core rotations and you can stay there for some or all of your 4th year electives.

Still not convinced? Check out the match list in the osteopathic forum. It is a great list, because TCOM trains great doctors.

how is the pathology at these rotations in the 3rd and 4th years? do we get to see alot of interesting cases or is there alot of standing around not getting to do much..? i want to be able to see the most wide range of cases so i can learn as much as possible.

can you give us more specifics on what you meant by "significantly changed"? is this a good thing or a bad thing?

It means we started with cell science with a little of the robbins book and then went into our systems courses. From what Dr. Dubin said last night at the chat, you will have a lot more pathology and mechanisms of disease to start as well as immunology and hematology. I could not tell you wether this is good or bad, but Dr. Dubin and the other administrators are always adjusting the curriculum in order to prepare you as best as possible. This did not come as a suggestion from us but sounds like a good idea. We will have two months of MOD at the end of this semester that will be extremely difficult, but we will have covered all of the systems so we will know at least something when we are discussing the disease process. I think an immunology course would be good. All of the other info is the same that we will get, but just in a different order or in a systems course instead of its own. I believe your class will also differ in MOD because the director of pathology and specifically MOD is moving on to the new DO school in Denver. So you will have different a different course director than us. This does not mean that the quality will go down, just be different. Our students typically perform very well on pathology on the boards. It will be very important that your class chooses curriculum reps who are very well spoken and have an interest in the education process. I am one for my class and take it very seriously. Since your curriculum will be somewhat new, the feedback from your class will be very important. Keep the questions coming. I used this site a lot before I started. Nice to get the real, low down info instead of the rumor mill.

I know people are saying Spring Fling is casual, but are we talkin JEANS casual or khaki pants casual? I'm always up for jeans..

I know people are saying Spring Fling is casual, but are we talkin JEANS casual or khaki pants casual? I'm always up for jeans..

jeans should be fine, but you might want to bring some shorts and shoes in case it gets hot or if you want to play some B-ball. This is very imformal.

I really really hope somebody reads and responds to this post...

I left my schedule at home...where are supposed to meet and what time tomorrow?

Thanks!

I really really hope somebody reads and responds to this post...

I left my schedule at home...where are supposed to meet and what time tomorrow?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I will not be joining you all tomorrow.

However, student check-in and breakfast takes place at the student lounge in EAD 110 between 8:30 and 9:00 a.m.

Enjoy. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could post any good information they gained from attending.

Thanks

Hi, I was at Spring Fling today..it was nice to meet some of you who were there. I was searching for apartments today, and I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. I really like a place that is about 12 minute drive from TCOM. Do you think I should live in the apartment that is closer (about 1.5 miles)? What I am trying to consider is the length of breaks we have during the days, and if I will be making just one trip to the school during each day.

"Hi, I was at Spring Fling today..it was nice to meet some of you who were there. I was searching for apartments today, and I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. I really like a place that is about 12 minute drive from TCOM. Do you think I should live in the apartment that is closer (about 1.5 miles)? What I am trying to consider is the length of breaks we have during the days, and if I will be making just one trip to the school during each day."

It's all preference really. I have some friends that live in walking distance and would never want to move further out because they like the convenience so much. I live about 10-12 minutes away and it's fine. Traffic is not a big problem in Ft Worth (for the most part and in comparison to Dallas and Houston). It takes me like 2 minutes more with traffic. I came from undergrad where I was used to walking to my classes within a few minutes, so I was worried about this as well. However, it's been fine.

The problem with living close is that the nicer stuff is really expensive and everything else is really small and old. I like where I live, even though it's further, because its new and it has all the apartment amenities (which a lot of the closer ones don't) like laundry, work out facilities and an office that has pool tables and internet. I like having that kind of stuff around. Especially if you're single, I recommend finding a place to stay that has many other students there as well. It's very convenient and nice to have that kind of support.

Really the only "break" you have most days is the 1 hour lunch break, which most students just stay on campus and go to organization lunch meetings. However, those that live close do have the luxury of being able to make a run home during these times. Also on Thursdays, depending on what part of the alphabet you're in, you may have a 3 hr break. I pretty much always make one trip to school, regardless of the schedule and just go to the library in between or after classes.

Living closer is definitely more convenient. However, it comes at a price of cost and quality of apts (in my opinion). So it's pretty much what you care about more about.

OMS-I

I was wondering if the current tcom students knew anything about the biochemistry review class that happens before school starts. Exactly when does the class start and how long is it. Also is it really useful and are they any extra costs involved. thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no transcript from the online chat??

TCOM Longhorn:What apartment complex do you live in if you don't mind m asking?

I was wondering if the current tcom students knew anything about the biochemistry review class that happens before school starts. Exactly when does the class start and how long is it. Also is it really useful and are they any extra costs involved. thanks for the help

They will let you know in advance when the class starts. I believe for us it was a two week course that ends right before orientation week. Unfortunately I was not able to take the class, but I sat around several people who did. They seemed to think it was well worth the time and money. I think it was 35 bucks or so. It is a great refresher if you have not had biochem in a while or just a good chance to remind yourself of all the pathways and their interconnections. It is definitely not in depth and would not be a substitute for taking biochem in undergrad, but it is a good headstart to your first class. The tutor who is going to teach it is great. She explains things very well. I would recommend it if you are in town and have the free time.

TCOM Longhorn:What apartment complex do you live in if you don't mind m asking?

I live in Cumberland off of Bryant Irvin and Camp Bowie. It's affordable if you have a roommate, but a bit pricey if you want to live alone.

I second John. Nice if you're in the area and have nothing else going on. People who had taken the course really seemed to be at an advantage during Cell Science. It's also nice I guess if you were planning on moving early. You can have time to get to know the area, some of your classmates, and take care of moving in while getting a head start.

But this is also the end of your free time as you know it, so you may also want to enjoy it. :) I never took any Biochem in undergrad and I also didn't do the summer course. It was pretty rough for me in the beginning to figure out what was going on, especially because it seemed like everyone around me had already had a lot of exposure to this stuff. In the end though, it was fine and I still ended up doing pretty well in the course.

OMS-I

I live in Cumberland off of Bryant Irvin and Camp Bowie. It's affordable if you have a roommate, but a bit pricey if you want to live alone.

Is this the Ridglea Cumberland Apartments? Do you know of any other places that are popular for students or is your class pretty spread out?

Thanks for the response about the biochem course. I will definitely be doing it now I have heard good things about it.

Oh and to anyone wanting info about moving. I am in the class of 2011 and I just signed up for a complex on hulen and stonegate. The name of the complex is Reserve at Oak Hill. You may want to check it out. Alot of where you live depends on how much you want to spend and how concerned you are with things like a gated community and fitness center and stuff like that. Reserve at Oak Hill is gated and is kind of expensive. I will be paying 650 a month for a one bedroom and that includes the assigned covered parking spot. But I wanted a gated complex so I don't have to worry about theft and such and piece of mind is worth the little extra I will pay. Oh and the complex is only 3 miles away and I timed that it would take eight to ten minutes to get to school. Hope that helps.

I just signed at the Cumberland at Ridglea apts. as well. Didnt really look around much, it was my first stop when I started looking and it seemed pretty good so there you go. (Gated, guard at night, pool table, pool, workout stuff, what have you.) The key for me was that it was relatively new, nothing has started breaking down yet. I got one of the larger singles and its costing me about 700 a month. Its 6-7 minutes from campus with no traffic straight down Camp Bowie (I timed it).

Is this the Ridglea Cumberland Apartments? Do you know of any other places that are popular for students or is your class pretty spread out?

Most of the class is pretty spread out I believe. I'm not even too sure because most of the people I hang out with either live in my complex or are spread out. And it could also be very different for where your class chooses to live. Just ask the apartment employees and they'll tell you if they have a significant student population.

The only warning I have is beware of Dorothy Lane apartments near campus. Its really close and cheap but I have some friends that live there that have had lots of problems because the place is old, and because the management has not been very helpful with these problems.

Welcome to Cumberland, drbublu! :)

Does anyone have any comments on the AMLI 7th street station apartments??? I'm debating between closer to school (100 dollars a month more expensive in rent) or cumberland farms apartments a little farther a way but 100 dollars cheaper???? Any advice

I have the same dilema...but mine would be a $450 diff...between 7th street and the cumberland...I didn't get a chance to tour the cumberland and the ridglea (they closed right when I pulled up), but the Amli was nice..the rooms are very small (maybe, i'm just used to my current spacing) i need two bedrooms.......on another note how's the finger??? I was watching the game when you got hurt....

Are we going to receive a packet telling us what we need to be doing---Financial Aid, get transcripts, immunization records, etc.?
I feel lost!

Come on guys, you are trying to pick between 7th and cumberland. It is silly to talk distance bc cumberland is also very close to the school. Maybe a 10 minute drive max, and 7th street is crazy close as well. I would pick where you would feel most comfortable. 7th street is crazy expensive, and for the price of a one bedroom, I think you can get a one bedroom plus a study at cumberland. Anyway, there is also another pretty sweet apartment complex called the Canyons. This place is right on the Trinity River and has very nice facilities. It is a little further than cumberland, maybe a 12 minutes drive, but I really like this place and would check it out if I were you. If I was not going to be getting a house, I would live at the Canyons.

I hope this helps, I have a lot of experience with the Fort Worth area so drop me a line if you have anymore questions.

Are we going to receive a packet telling us what we need to be doing---Financial Aid, get transcripts, immunization records, etc.?
I feel lost!

I was told that as long as you have your FAFSA and final transcripts turned in, you should be fine. More information should be coming later. If you need financial aid information I would give this lady a buzz, she is very helpful.

[email protected]

Also, the office of admissions is very nice and always open to answering questions in a very prompt fashion. If you ever feel lost, I would call them and they can point you in the right direction.

You also need your immunizations here is a link for that:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/newstudents/DOChecklist.cfm

This is the checklist for last years class but its all the same stuff you have to bring it for orientation and or mail it to misty holt I beleive.

ps. my thumb is getting better thanks for asking.

I was told that as long as you have your FAFSA and final transcripts turned in, you should be fine. More information should be coming later. If you need financial aid information I would give this lady a buzz, she is very helpful.

[email protected]

Also, the office of admissions is very nice and always open to answering questions in a very prompt fashion. If you ever feel lost, I would call them and they can point you in the right direction.

So we have to get ALL of are old transcripts sent in? Don't they have them from our application?

So we have to get ALL of are old transcripts sent in? Don't they have them from our application?

I'm not quite sure why, but they need all of them. Don't forget any community colleges that u may have done stuff at.

"Are we going to receive a packet telling us what we need to be doing---Financial Aid, get transcripts, immunization records, etc.?
I feel lost!"

haha, thats how i felt too. just take care of your fafsa and the tcom supplement. they will set up a financial aid interview for you closer to the beginning of summer (at least thats how it was last yr). they will send u a packet with immunizations that u need along with a bunch of other info closer to may. it's an extensive list. u can get it done here during orientation but then it's out of pocket and a bit of a hassle. get it done before u come for orientation. i think the checklist that's above prob won't change too much. just make sure u get hepatitis titers drawn even if you had the vaccine. that caught a lot of us.

OMS-I

Well, if it is all of our transcripts, then that is news to me. I thought it was just an update transcript with all the classes that we took in the fall, and all the classes that we are taking right now. We should find out if it is just an update transcript or all of our transcripts.

NM, looks like I should read all the posts before I start to reply. It appears that we need to send in all of our transcripts!!

I'm not quite sure why, but they need all of them. Don't forget any community colleges that u may have done stuff at.

"Are we going to receive a packet telling us what we need to be doing---Financial Aid, get transcripts, immunization records, etc.?
I feel lost!"

haha, thats how i felt too. just take care of your fafsa and the tcom supplement. they will set up a financial aid interview for you closer to the beginning of summer (at least thats how it was last yr). they will send u a packet with immunizations that u need along with a bunch of other info closer to may. it's an extensive list. u can get it done here during orientation but then it's out of pocket and a bit of a hassle. get it done before u come for orientation. i think the checklist that's above prob won't change too much. just make sure u get hepatitis titers drawn even if you had the vaccine. that caught a lot of us.

OMS-I

whats the tcom supplement?

Most of the class is pretty spread out I believe. I'm not even too sure because most of the people I hang out with either live in my complex or are spread out. And it could also be very different for where your class chooses to live. Just ask the apartment employees and they'll tell you if they have a significant student population.

The only warning I have is beware of Dorothy Lane apartments near campus. Its really close and cheap but I have some friends that live there that have had lots of problems because the place is old, and because the management has not been very helpful with these problems.

Welcome to Cumberland, drbublu! :)

Thanks TCOM Longhorn!

I just joined this group...wanted to say hi. Also I was thinking of organizing some events for the class of 2011 to attend and become acquainted with each other before classes start...sometime in late June, early July. Any thoughts??

great idea...early part of July might be best, since most of us should be in town by then...and I think bowling, actually I don't know what there is to do in Fort Worth, but I'm down for some 2011 bonding before class starts.....

Actually, I am in Mexico right now studying spanish, and one thing that I have learned is the importance of fiesta grande. I will be buying a house, and I hope to start monthly fiestas on a friday afternoon so that our class can come and socialize. We can have different types of foods and of course drinks would be served. I am not a big go to the bar type of person, but I love hanging out with friends with good food and a few drinks. So we will see, I hope to gets these things started after the first week of medical school. Hopefully it will grow and be something that we can all do once a month.

That sounds like a wonderful idea!! I'm not really much of a bar/club girl either...each person could make something and bring it and others can bring the alcohol, it could be a group effort and a great way to unwind.

where do we get immunization records? Or can we just go to our primary care doc and get blood drawn? I'm not sure where to start.
Also, when I started volunteering at the hospital, I had to get all the shots, tests, and blood drawn. Anyone know if we can use that?

where do we get immunization records? Or can we just go to our primary care doc and get blood drawn? I'm not sure where to start.
Also, when I started volunteering at the hospital, I had to get all the shots, tests, and blood drawn. Anyone know if we can use that?

I volunteered at a couple of hospitals as well and both allowed me to get print outs of my vaccination records based upon the blood tests (including Hep B and TB) they gave me. I think that the hospital should have no problem sending you a copy of your records. (I would probably contact either the volunteer services department or occupational health.) If they say they can't, or they have already gotten rid of your records, your primary care doc should be able to take care of it as well.

I volunteered at a couple of hospitals as well and both allowed me to get print outs of my vaccination records based upon the blood tests (including Hep B and TB) they gave me. I think that the hospital should have no problem sending you a copy of your records. (I would probably contact either the volunteer services department or occupational health.) If they say they can't, or they have already gotten rid of your records, your primary care doc should be able to take care of it as well.

thanks!

I am lonely!! Where is everyone?!?!

Hey everyone,

I'm heading to Ft. Worth tonight to clean and work on a house I bought close to campus.

Is there anyone around that wants to meet up for some grub and a tasty libation??

Take care,
David

Hey everyone,

I'm heading to Ft. Worth tonight to clean and work on a house I bought close to campus.

Is there anyone around that wants to meet up for some grub and a tasty libation??

Take care,
David

I'm looking at buying a house instead of renting. Any info or suggestions you can pass on? I really haven't started looking too hard, because I'm waiting on a friend to take us on a tour of the good areas to buy in Fort Worth.

I'm looking at buying a house instead of renting. Any info or suggestions you can pass on? I really haven't started looking too hard, because I'm waiting on a friend to take us on a tour of the good areas to buy in Fort Worth.

If you have a family and/or need bigger sq. ft per dollar and don't mind a drive , albeit short, then something like KB home NW of downtown might be worth checking out. Down by TCU, there are some older houses in the Historical district which the city is giving tax breaks to ppl who buy but again a short drive. If you're looking for something within walking distance then it's going to be tough finding something on the north side of Camp Bowie (same side as school) that isn't 200+ . South of Camp Bowie there are a wide range of houses for rent and sale. Good luck.

does anyone know about the parking situation, like can we leave our car parked on campus overnight? also is there campus security?

I second the question on parking on campus. Does anyone know how much a garage parking pass is?

If I were you, I would stay out of the cultural district unless you are looking to pay over 200,000 on a house. Anything less than this would cause you to get an old piece of crap house. I would look in white settlement. That is white settlement the suburb, not the road. My girlfriend found a house 8 miles away from campus that was built last year for 110,000. It has 3 bedrooms, and is a really nice house. If her house was in the cultural district, aka where TCOM is, it would cost well over 200,000. The last thing you want to do is buy a piece of junk and have to worry about it when you are in school. Also, houses near TCU are very expensive too. I am not a fan of old houses bc they can have so much stuff go wrong with them. Remember a house is an investment and you want something that you can turn around and sell for a good price in 4 years