TCOM Class 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I second the question on parking on campus. Does anyone know how much a garage parking pass is?

I think parking passes cost about 80 bucks a semester. But this could have changed. Actually, you only need a parking pass to park on campus between the hours of 8-5. Many people park in the neighborhoods that run near campus. This could end up saving you 80 bucks if you do go this route. Of course, the 80 dollar price might go up this coming year. But like I said, after 5 the parking garage is open to park in for free.

Members don't see this ad.

$80 doesn't sound too bad for a parking pass. I know I'll probably be rushing to get to class in the mornings so it'll be nice to know I have garage parking everyday. Hopefully it won't be too much more than that. Thanks for the info.

So when are we all going to meet up before school, orientation, and bio-chem prep course starts? House party... I think we need to invite some upperclassmen too so if anyone is interested post on here and I will give you the info as soon as I get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear the biochem prep course is taught by a student, not a professor. Does anyone know if this is true?

I hear the biochem prep course is taught by a student, not a professor. Does anyone know if this is true?

It has been taught by a tutor in the past who was a third year or 4th yr. I think she will be teaching it again. She rocks.

I think parking passes cost about 80 bucks a semester. But this could have changed. Actually, you only need a parking pass to park on campus between the hours of 8-5. Many people park in the neighborhoods that run near campus. This could end up saving you 80 bucks if you do go this route. Of course, the 80 dollar price might go up this coming year. But like I said, after 5 the parking garage is open to park in for free.

Parking passes were 80 dollars/year this past year. I don't know anyone that parked in the neighborhood, but I guess you could. IMO it's totally worth the 80 dollars to not have to find a place to park on the morning of a test. You can purchase your pass at orientation.

As for the biochem course, it is taught by a student. If it's Amy again, she's currently a 4th yr so she will have graduated by then. She is very smart and has a lot to offer. If it's not her, I'm sure it will be another student who did well.

OMS-I

I've been told unofficially that the Biochem course is 2 weeks long and starts 2 weeks before orientation...So I think we should try and get together sometime near the end of June....I'm currently trying to get a list of everyone's emails so that I can put the word out to get a count as to how many ppl are interested in doing something so that we can make further plans...

I'll be down there starting the last week of june :)

Hey all, I asked the people in charge of the biochem class about dates and all and here is what the helpful lady replied back to me. Hope this helps. I will be taking the biochem review by the way. here is the reply:

Nothing specific has been decided about the Biochem course this year; however, I can give you the specifics of last year and it's safe to assume it will be close to the same.

Dates: Starts two weeks prior to orientation and runs until Friday before Orientation (for you will be July 9-20) Orientation starts July 23.
Time: Every morning from 9:00-12:00
Cost: $63.00 (Checks or cash only. Due 1st day of class.)

When Dr. Dubin gets back from vacation next week, I'll confirm this is still the same and send something out to the class.

Thanks for the info!

Just so I'm clear, this class is not graded right? If you sign up but don't complete the course, will it be counted against you in anyway?

Hey all, I asked the people in charge of the biochem class about dates and all and here is what the helpful lady replied back to me. Hope this helps. I will be taking the biochem review by the way. here is the reply:

Nothing specific has been decided about the Biochem course this year; however, I can give you the specifics of last year and it's safe to assume it will be close to the same.

Dates: Starts two weeks prior to orientation and runs until Friday before Orientation (for you will be July 9-20) Orientation starts July 23.
Time: Every morning from 9:00-12:00
Cost: $63.00 (Checks or cash only. Due 1st day of class.)

When Dr. Dubin gets back from vacation next week, I'll confirm this is still the same and send something out to the class.

I can't imagine why they would count it against you...I think it is for our own benefit.

Thanks for the info!

Just so I'm clear, this class is not graded right? If you sign up but don't complete the course, will it be counted against you in anyway?

not graded for sure... totally there just for learning purposes...

i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about spanish language opportunities during the semester? I know some schools have medical spanish groups that meet during lunch or something and I was wondering if TCOM had something similar? I know some spanish and I don't want to lose it by third year.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about spanish language opportunities during the semester? I know some schools have medical spanish groups that meet during lunch or something and I was wondering if TCOM had something similar? I know some spanish and I don't want to lose it by third year.

Thanks

We have a ULAMS club that gives spanish classes over lunch every now and then. I think you just have to buy a little book and then sign up for the meetings. It might also be a good idea to be a member of the club. They have good opportunities to volunteer and use your spanish.

Thanks

Yes, the Latino/a organization (ULAMS) has classes that I've enjoyed where we split up by level of expertise and those that are fluent teach the others in an informal conversational way. So worth the dues to join b/c they give you a medical Spanish/English dictionary that's pretty nice.

Also, our school requires that we do a certain amount of community service hours through out the year. A lot of the opportunities have a lot of interaction with a Spanish speaking population. So you could always practice there as well.

Lastly, the Christian Medical Association normally organizes a mission trip down to Mexico every Spring Break, which of course is another opportunity for practice.

Does TCOM have a policy on deferring med school for a year? I have been wondering if I should take a year off...:oops:

Yes you can defer for a year. You will be guaranteed a spot in next year's class. There is a deadline though I would call up the school to find out when that is.

I was just letting everyone know the school has started a forum for the class of 2011 on their message board system. You should have received an email about it. Thought it may be a good idea to move our conversations over there so we could include those classmates who don't use student doctor. I also think some current students will respond there to help answer all of our questions.

Hope this helps!

hello..where is everyone?

I think I'm going to ft worth to look at apts this weekend---any more suggestions?

hello..where is everyone?

I think I'm going to ft worth to look at apts this weekend---any more suggestions?

Most of us are on Facebook (TCOM class of 2011) and on the TCOM student forums.

You will find some good posts about apartments, etc... on each of those forums.

TCOM sent an e-mail out back in late April with your login & password information and how to access the forums.

The forums are at dosaf.hsc.unt.edu

There is an e-mail address at the bottom of that page of someone who can probably help you get signed up.

See ya on the forums :)

TCOM sent an e-mail out back in late April with your login & password information and how to access the forums.

The forums are at dosaf.hsc.unt.edu

There is an e-mail address at the bottom of that page of someone who can probably help you get signed up.

See ya on the forums :)

oh ok haha i haven't gotten my acceptance packet or anything yet since i was accepted just a week ago (the packet was sent to my parents' home and my dad has taken forever to mail it to me). i'll try getting on the forums and see what happens.

Hey did anyone recieve their finicial aid reward letters yet? I haven't received anything and I'm starting to get worried. My friends from other schools have already recieved their rewards letters.

Howdy to all! I just got in off the waitlist today, just before I had to take the MCAt again (this Friday was D-Day!). I dodged the bullet and get to go to Medical School now! Yeeeeee-Haaaaawwwwww! :smuggrin:

Hey everyone,
I just signed at this apartment called Rivercrest on 7th street. Its close to campus, 1/1 and only 495 / month with all bills paid!

Hi Guys - I'm posting this for a family friend who has a cute garage apartment for rent in Arlington Heights. All bills paid. Call 8177386432 for more info.