Can I claim Disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dshnay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I came to US with both my parents and my brother, for the first year we were on welfare. Afterwards both of my parents found a job with a combined income around $50k a year for 10 years now they're making around 60, not much better.
But I would love to know what do you guys think, if I'm considered to be eligible or not?
Thanks!
ds

Members don't see this ad.

i would say that's disadvantaged

i would say that's disadvantaged
The gov't "might" agree.

Just argue the point to the best of your ability if you think your disadvantaged, really.

Did you "feel" disadvantaged? Afterall, that's what it comes down to most of the time.

My father passed away when my brother, sister, and I were very young and my mother raised us on a public teacher's salary (48 max over 36 years).

I didn't feel disadvantaged - went to private school for final two years of high school and attended a private college. My mom is very resourceful and somehow managed (amazing). I didn't consider myself disadvantaged relative to others so did not declare disadvantaged status.