Dangerous Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eric Lindros

So many medical schools are located in big cities, and most big cities have high crime rates. I wanted to know what people think about the safety of medical schools across the country.

What are the most unsafe medical schools in the US? Im familiar with the East Coast so some names that pop into mind are Temple, Hopkins? UMD? (Baltimore and Philly)

I was wondering if people with some knowledge about the safety of schools would like to chime in. I'm curious to know what is considered the most unsafe med school in the country.

Members don't see this ad.

You've certainly listed some candidates - Temple, Hopkins, although I wouldn't necessarily say UMD was unsafe, if you venture a couple of blocks away across MLK BLvd, its a little dicey.

I'd also nominate UMDNJ-Newark, just because its in Newark.:scared:

Albert Einstein? USC?

Members don't see this ad :)
One Phyilly PCOM med student (a jogger in the park) has been murdered within the past few years.

So yeah. PCOM.

Drew/UCLA Martin luther King hospital :scared:

AECOM is def not in a bad area. i live 5 blocks from the school. never worried about anything safety wise my whole life there. so def dont let that discourage anyone from AECOM.

now SUNY downstate.the immediate surrounding area, i'd say that's an area you might have to worry about safety a bit. but with that in mind, personally still don't think enough to the point where it affects your decision.

Wayne state in Detroit. The tour guide said it is ok on campus, but you shouldn't even walk alone there at night.

St. Louis is one of the most dangerous cities also.

AECOM is def not in a bad area. i live 5 blocks from the school. never worried about anything safety wise my whole life there. so def dont let that discourage anyone from AECOM.

Good to know...thanks for the clarification!

As long as you stay on Broad Street Temple is fine. The immediate area is really well lit. It's just what happens if you go a few blocks away that's scary . . .

They all rob you (to the tune of $100-$200K debt).

Gunners, snipers, FA people- scary.

Sounds like we'll be surrounded by a bunch of cutthroats!

Members don't see this ad :)
KCOM is a nonstop battleground. I mean, you haven't seen gang violence until you've been hit by a cow patty thrown by a backwards white person.

MO4LIFE!

*Sunny throws up an "A" and a "T" handsign*

My mom got mugged while she was at Hopkins but the guy was so high he accepted a check :laugh:

I forgot the area around the TMC - I rotated there as a 4th year student at Baylor and remember the pitch black bus stop in front of the park where some nurses where raped, the chain link fence around the apartment I rented with a padlock and the 1/4 mile walk from the bus stop to my rental.:scared:

LA/County Gen is in a dicey area as well. When I worked there years ago, we used to leave at 3:30 in the winter so that we wouldn't have to walk outside in the dark. It was the first hospital I'd ever seen with a metal detector.

Don't forget the students...Couple years back some Thomas Jefferson med student killed another med student on South Street.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=4306503

Ook so if this dude was really schizo/BP, then why wasn't there a paper trail on him BEFORE he got accepted to medical school?:confused:

His dad can claim that the medical system failed his son, but he paid for his son to have good lawyers and a willing doctor to sign off on his kid being insane.

Ook so if this dude was really schizo/BP, then why wasn't there a paper trail on him BEFORE he got accepted to medical school?:confused:

These kinds of mental illnesses often emerge in the mid-20s.

So, so sad. :(

I know a med student that got mugged at gun point at georgetown. right by campus as she was leaving the library..

temple univ also has the second largest police force in the state.
it's actually a pretty safe area because of that. plus, their buildings have huge huge huge flood lights so the entire area around the hospital, buildings/schools is completely lit. just stay on north broad and u'll be fine!

why dont u yuppies just invest in streetsmarts for dummies

What about the stress level associated with the school and what systems schools put in place to assist students?

One thing that is rarely talked about is the number of suicides committed by medical students...

Wikipedia says that Dallas has the highest crime rate of all 9 U.S. cities with populations over 1 million. I'm not sure about the area immediately surrounding the campus though. I hope it's okay because I'm going there with my dad (a retired cop) over spring break to look for housing ... and try and convince him that it's an okay place for me to live for the next four years. But considering that my other acceptance is USC, I can't imagine Dallas being much worse. There weren't any metal detectors at their hospital.

Any medical school located in an urban area is going to be in a pretty unsafe area. I can't imagine the area surrounding the medical school being much of a factor in my decision. Maybe I'd think about the weather, but not about the crime rates.

Agreed, threads like these make me gag. Heaven forbid we should receive our education in the same area as poor people. In case you all haven't noticed, many of the best schools are in urban areas that often have excellent hospitals/opportunities for students...and no one can seem to understand why there's a shortage of docs in urban/rural areas
:thumbdown:

why dont u yuppies just invest in streetsmarts for dummies

Agreed, threads like these make me gag. Heaven forbid we should receive our education in the same area as poor people. In case you all haven't noticed, many of the best schools are in urban areas that often have excellent hospitals/opportunities for students...and no one can seem to understand why there's a shortage of docs in urban/rural areas

I don't give a rats ass if I am near poor people. I DO give a rats ass of those poor people are spraying bullets all over where I am trying to make a living. So yeah, I don't want to be around crime. Apparently that's really unreasonable??? :rolleyes: Seriously, comments like yours make me gag.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly, poor people are great practice fodder because you will see diseases in them that you won't find in other populations within the US and you won't see as much penetrating trauma as you will see in ghettos anywhere outside of war zones.

However, just because you're working there though, doesn't mean you have to live there. If I have to attend school in a city with a high crime rate, you can bet your ass, I'm out of there as soon as my shift or classes are done for the day.

I don't give a rats ass if I am near poor people. I DO give a rats ass of those poor people are spraying bullets all over where I am trying to make a living. So yeah, I don't want to be around crime. Apparently that's really unreasonable??? :rolleyes: Seriously, comments like yours make me gag.
Three words: concealed carry permit. :laugh: But yeah, the bleeding heart "oh the poor poor people" crap does get old.

Without a doubt, Penn St.... Those cows are ****ing vicious man!

Reactions: 1 user
Three words: concealed carry permit. :laugh: But yeah, the bleeding heart "oh the poor poor people" crap does get old.

Yeah I am definitely buying some kind of protection.

And yeah, nothing irks me more than the old "oh the poor poor people" thing. I'm talking about crime, not poverty. Yes, they often go hand in hand but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. Sorry, but I just do no feel bad for the bastard that sticks me up at night for my wallet.

It's common knowledge that urban areas tend to have higher crime/poverty rates. As a student, choosing one urban area with say the 3rd highest crime rate vs the 6th will have a much smaller effect on your experience than choosing b/w an urban area vs a suburb. Choke on that.

It's common knowledge that urban areas tend to have higher crime/poverty rates. As a student, choosing one urban area with say the 3rd highest crime rate vs the 6th will have a much smaller effect on your experience than choosing b/w an urban area vs a suburb. Choke on that.

Ha, thanks for the brilliant advice genius.

Sorry, but I just do no feel bad for the bastard that sticks me up at night for my wallet.

The guy who did that to me right after I was sent by the Air Force to PG County, Maryland....I got his wallet. He pulled a knife....I pulled my pistol (I later had to get rid of my pistol because I couldn't keep it in my room on base nor could I carry it with me most places). It was the only time I've seen an adult literally piss themselves out of fear. :smuggrin:

Pardon me, but ****ing duh?

As long as you stay on Broad Street Temple is fine. The immediate area is really well lit. It's just what happens if you go a few blocks away that's scary . . .

At first I thought you were talking about VCU - it's basically on Broad Street, only in Richmond, and some say the area is not very safe...

It's not as bad as some of the other areas listed here, and with New York now the safest large city in the country, it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be.

Columba University College of Physicians and Surgeons is located in a pretty lousy area. It's fine during the day, and with the extreme lighting that they have, the blocks immediately surrounding the campus are somewhat safe at night. However, if you travel much farther than that, you are in various parts of Harlem/Spanish Harlem/Washington Heights. I work near there, and I have seen some things I would rather not have seen.

The guy who did that to me right after I was sent by the Air Force to PG County, Maryland....I got his wallet. He pulled a knife....I pulled my pistol (I later had to get rid of my pistol because I couldn't keep it in my room on base nor could I carry it with me most places). It was the only time I've seen an adult literally piss themselves out of fear. :smuggrin:

Haha nothing like pulling out a gun on someone with a knife

Exactly, so the OP can pretty much answer his own question

Not really. Certain cities are definitely more dangerous than others, and areas within cities are definitely more than others too. Baltimore is much more dangerous than Philly in my opinion (lived in both). But UMD (center city Baltimore), for example, has a rep of being pretty safe, where Temple (couple blocks from center city Philly) is often considered very unsafe.

I was hoping to generate discussion/anecdotes about schools around the country. It's not black and white like you think (City = dangerous Suburb = Safe)

Bike theft is a huge problem in Ann Arbor so be careful if you plan to come to U of M.

The University of Kansas isn't in a very good area, but I don't have any idea how it compares with other med schools. The university does offer shuttle buses to the parking lots and there are police phones around every corner, but the parking lots are quite a ways away with residential areas between the school and the parking lots. The first part of my first year there were several robberies in the student parking lots and so I didn't feel very safe.

Now it doesn't bother me as much... but then again, I stopped going to lecture so I'm not on campus very often. :p

Honestly, I really should get some form of protection. I haven't done it yet, but I should.

I wasn't suggestiong that the issue is black and white, simply that allowing this to play a huge factor in your decision would exclude plenty of great schools. I've had experiences living in both urban and suburban areas: Ann Arbor, MI born and raised, 4 years in New Haven for undergrad, and I've been living in Philly for almost 3. While I'm aware of the ridiculous murder/crime rates in Philly, it hasn't had a negative impact on my experience here.

Not really. Certain cities are definitely more dangerous than others, and areas within cities are definitely more than others too. Baltimore is much more dangerous than Philly in my opinion (lived in both). But UMD (center city Baltimore), for example, has a rep of being pretty safe, where Temple (couple blocks from center city Philly) is often considered very unsafe.

I was hoping to generate discussion/anecdotes about schools around the country. It's not black and white like you think (City = dangerous Suburb = Safe)

you really took his wallet? that's awesome. charles bronson never did that.