My experience - how a slacker got a 254/99

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bones4u

Residency>>>Med School
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I want to thank SDN and its collective wisdom, some really great stuff on these boards. I just got my score back today, and I've been putting together this guide for a while now to give back to the community. (Its LONG!)

So, how did a guy like me who slacked off in basic sciences (I only marginally passed immunology) do well on the boards? Play the game – Know what they're asking and you're already two steps ahead. Here's a good breakdown of how the test goes:

Out of each block of 50 questions, approximately:

• 25-30 q's would be ones you know, from studying your ass off
  • 10-15 q's would be ones you *should* know, i.e. you studied but forgot, or there are little details that are tripping you up, etc.
  • 5-10 are the "out of the box" q's – experimental, stuff you've never seen before, minutia from your syllabi or even college courses.

Also this test is very integrative. You'll have path, phys, and immune all in one question. They'll combine all types of things, have you make these crazy connections – but with a strong foundation you can do it. The goal of your studying is to maximize those first two groups of questions – by building a strong foundation of BOTH concepts and details.

Strategy:
I had about 6.5 weeks to study – I would say 7 but it took me almost 4 days just to get organized – like figuring out which are the best books, putting together a schedule, etc.

Also, GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN. The man is amazing, he puts stuff together like you can't imagine. Pepper your studying with his audio lectures – i.e. listen to him whenever possible. The last couple of weeks, I would listen to him while driving, randomly throughout the day, and even in the shower/while getting ready (I know its nuts, but I got an extra lecture in everyday this way!)

Daily Schedule I would study about 10-14 hours a day, depending on when I wake up, and how I was feeling that day. Early on I would spend most of the time with books, then more time with FA as the date got closer. I would try to do 100 q's a day, but it would usually be 50.

First, start off with a pass of first aid – go through it and realize what topics you know well, and what topics you will need to focus on. Also familiarize yourself with the layout, it can be confusing at times and knowing where everything is will definitely save you some time. Then, go through the various study books you have – Read important details, really go through for UNDERSTANDING, and annotate details as much as possible into FA.

Here are my thoughts about each subject and the best book to use (based on my pouring over previous experiences and from personal experience):

• Comprehensive – First aid is still the best. At first I hated the book, and then I realized just how much information is in there. It really is an acquired taste – just get used to it at first, and make sure you annotate into it. It does have holes, and you need to fill them up.
  • Question banks – So I have to say trying both Qbank and USMLEWorld, that UW freaking rocks. The question style, subject matter, etc are all so similar to the step. Qbank is a great tool for testing facts – but their questions focus too much on minutia. UW Ties those facts in with concepts – its great how they do it, and that's exactly what you'll have to do on the test. Plus UW costs less (after all those books trust me it adds up). If you only have time for one – do UW. Your brain will hurt, but that's what the test is like. It really helps maximize those "should know" questions I talked about earlier, and helps tie together concepts. But make sure you read the answer choices and explanations, especially the "educational concept" at the bottom. If you have a time for a 2nd, I would then suggest USMLE-Rx – only because going through the answers is like another read of FA. Qbank? Sorry, but its yesterday's news.
  • Biochem: RR Biochem – Goljan – I always had a tough time with biochem, and this book was a good balance (in between HY biochem and Lippincott's). The biochem q's on the test weren't too difficult, you either knew it or you didn't. A lot of the tougher questions came from molec/cell biology (see below)
  • Anatomy: HY Gross, HY Neuro (I got HY embryo and histo but didn't use them) – Had quite a bit of neuro and extremity anatomy (upper and lower) – and an xray of a fractured foot which kinda threw me off. Otherwise not too difficult – the consensus here is really knowing upper/lower extremity and neuroanatomy well. Know the embryo from FA, and tie in Histo to disease, bc that's how it'll be tested.
  • Cell/Molec bio: HY Cell/Molec bio – good book to familiarize yourself with concepts like hox genes (I had 2 q's about them), Zn finger proteins, heat shock proteins, and cell signaling/receptor/2nd messenger stuff. Also great for knowing different molecular tests, DNA/RNA synthesis, etc. A lot of the "out of the box" questions come from molec bio, worded strangely and can piss you off, but you have decode what they're asking and this book will help understand whats going on.
  • Behavioral science – I used BRS Behavioral, and it was a good book. I had a good mix of behavioral on my test, this section makes up a relatively large chunk, and like everyone says it can make or break you – so study it well. I also had a lot of patient response questions, which are generally difficult to study for, and there are always two answer choices that look good – really try to figure out the best on though.
  • ID/Micro – Micro Ridiculously simple – still the best book for micro – great stuff, annotate into FA – haven't had a chance to look at the newest version. Micro is pretty well represented in the test, and they test details; also know your Abx well. Delve deep into the differences between each bug, the various ways they can present – compare and contrast different infections; and focus mostly on bacteria – then on viruses, then on antimicrobials – then fungi – and least important are parasites.
  • Immuno – I used HY Immuno – good read (90 pages of like huge text); but here is a key point. Immunologic processes play a huge role in the mechanism of diseases, and you know this test is about mechanisms! So know your immunopath well – i.e. ARDS in pancreatitis, why?! Why do you get the consolidation in pneumonia (related to diapedesis). So much of immune related to pathophys – so learn it in immune well, learn it in FA well, learn the immunopath during pathology well.
  • Physiology – BRS Phys is great – especially since this section can be tough. A lot of charts, graphs, arrows, messy stuff. I had a good mix of cardio/resp/renal/GI phys. But really really understand what physiological changes take place during exercises/sympathetic stimulation/high altitude, and those sorts of things. Really be able to tie in with path, bc pathophys is "big-time boards"
  • Pathology – RR Path by Goljan – I think its better than BRS, because its more integrative. I would say Path is getting "diluted" on the boards, because they are now mixing in path questions with biochem, or path with phys, path with immuno, etc. And goljan does a fantastic job of bringing these points together. Really focus on the first few chapters, really understand the different types of necrosis, know your immunopath, dig deep into mechanisms of diseases. Pictures - I looked at Goljan's mostly, and supplemented a few with WebPath, for most you can tell what you're looking at from the question (1 of them from the answers :))
  • Pharm – USMLE Roadmap – Pharm - The pharm on the test is straight forward, and usually ties in with other questions. FA is great alone, especially if you already have a strong background in pharm. I had a tough time with Pharm, bc our school doesn't teach it well; so I really focused on this section near the end.
NBME - After going through everything once, and/or two weeks before your test – I suggest taking an NBME. This will really let you know A) where you stand and B) where your strengths/weaknesses are. This will help you guide the last couple of weeks to focus on what can trip you up, and re-enforce your strengths. Also, the NBME questions are by far the most representative questions to the actual thing – so look at the style of questions. Forms 2 and 3 are the most representative of the actual thing, Form 1 is supposed to be the easiest, and Form 4 is the most challenging (a lot of molec bio).

The last couple of weeks then, really go through FA and your notes, atleast once in depth, twice if you can, and once more in your weakest areas. Throw in some goljan as you can, and also keep doing questions (more on that to come). Keep thinking outside the box, tie together concepts, try to anticipate how they may ask the questions, and make sure you are picking up on the finer details. This is your time to re-enforce concepts, and really memorize the little details you picked up the first few weeks.

The final week, really kick it up a notch, even if you can't feel like it. That last week, my stomach would churn even holding first aid, but I knew I had to. Do some questions if you want to, but time is of the essence. Think through everything, UNDERSTAND concepts, whats in FA and your notes – learn all the details like about the viruses, the cancer drugs, the different CAH deficiencies – etc. Live and breathe FA

The last day – go for memorizing whatever details you have left, like anatomy, pharm side effects, etc. – pick up what you can, but don't overdue it. Set a schedule, and a time to be done. After you are done, THAT'S IT. PUT THE FIRST AID DOWN! You know what you know – and trust me by now, you are prepared.

I knew I would have a tough time sleeping the night before, so I didn't take any caffeine or sugar after noon the day before. After I stopped studying, I just relaxed – watched Borat, got my mind off things, and went to sleep, knowing that freaking aye man, I put my life on hold for 2 months, I was listening to Goljan in the SHOWER! I've done everything I can, so now I just gotta take it, and in a few hours it will be over.

The test: I arrived early, with a bag full of junk I never ended up using (except lunch). I spent each block going through the questions, and would mark the tougher ones. At the end of each block, I would go through all the marked ones, and really think through them, until I had gone through all of them. Then I would go through the whole block again, just to make sure I didn't misread or miss something, and I would have about a minute left after that. Whatever you do, TAKE A BREAK between each block – even 2 minutes. Just zone out, wonder which test the 60yr old guy next to you is taking, but just let your brain relax. The prometric staff were professional and everything went smoothly. Seats were comfortable – they just need to get freaking LCD screens

I thought the first couple of blocks went well, then it was downhill from there. I started feeling feverish, my heart was racing, I had a bad headache, I really thought I was getting sick. Also my eyes were getting strained from the computer screen. So I would walk outside during each break just to get some fresh air. The test is a mind game – and honestly it got the better of me – I was getting very anxious, I had to calm myself down a few times. I'm telling you this now – so you can prepare for it if it happens to you.

Timing By now you should've been taking questions in timed blocks of 50, so you know if speed will be an issue. If you are slow, try to look for the simpler questions, realize this is one of the ones you know, and move on, save your time for 2-3 step questions. If you know you rush, fight the urge! You've spent two months studying, whats a few minutes? Look over each question carefully, I almost missed (atleast) two questions just because I missed one (yes ONE) word in the stem!

After the test – damn man, you're freaking done. You did it. Now go back home, go see your family or your friends, go see the sun, go do anything. Just live life. And wait patiently for your scores (argh).

So, as far as #'s go:
First starting – about 50% on UWorld, 60% on Qbank (I stopped using Qbank about half way through)
NBME – Form 2, taken two weeks before the exam – 228
I was getting 75% on UWorld the week before the exam (finished about 60%)
Final score – 254/99

Thanks again to all the collective advice on SDN – and I hope this experience helps you out. Best of luck, and I know you will kick some ass.

Any questions feel free to ask away! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Big CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful performance :thumbup: . Thanks for the detailed post and advice. We really appreciate this. So how much of Uworld did you do? What is your advice on going over Goljan path? I've been listening to his CD's but since i started doing Uworld, i just don't feel like doing any other thing since thier explanations is like reading a textbook. It takes me 5hrs to review a 50question block because i read every single line to understand the concepts and why i missed my question. Unfortunalely, my grades have been flunctuating and it gets me frustrated sometimes:scared: . Also, did you go through webpath? I have approximately 7 weeks to my test and i just wanna maximize it but i'm still taking a course in school which will probably end early next month. Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Uh...you might be a slacker but you are also a genius.You must read at a lighting pace because it would be difficult for normal med student to read all the BRS, HY and do every question bank in 6 weeks. Congratulations on your success but your advice isn't any different than the guys who spent 6 months preparing for the exam. You were just able to accomplish what they did in 6 weeks versus 6 months. Also, starting at 50-60% on Q-bank is quite good and what the students in the top 10% of the class get. No offense, but there is no way your advice applies to the common med student.

there is no way your advice applies to the common med student.

To the common med student? maybe, maybe not. To the highly motivated - hell yeah!

Doesn't matter where you start - its where you go from there. Reading the books can be done in 6 weeks, it can be done in 4 weeks. You need to pick the best ones, read them, and annotate into FA. The last two weeks is when you really get things coming together - and keep your focus on the big picture - mechanisms, concepts, why (as goljan says)

To Teejay - I added the answers to your questions in the original post. I finished about 60% of UW, and I didn't do much WebPath - I just used it to supplement Goljan's pictures (in RR). As for going over path - It took me 6 days to read RR, then I spent another 5-6 days listening to his lectures, and annotating into FA. This really helped. As for UW, it can be great, and time consuming, try to get the main points from each question though

Members don't see this ad :)
To the common med student? maybe, maybe not. To the highly motivated - hell yeah!

Doesn't matter where you start - its where you go from there. Reading the books can be done in 6 weeks, it can be done in 4 weeks. You need to pick the best ones, read them, and annotate into FA. The last two weeks is when you really get things coming together - and keep your focus on the big picture - mechanisms, concepts, why (as goljan says)

Being motivated isn't going to increase your IQ or reading speed. There is nothing wrong with his plan if a student is given enough time aka 3-6 months to apply it. I just take issue with the tone and the infomercial like quality of his advice. Most students take 6 months what he did in 6 weeks. I just don't feel it's responsible to imply that anyone can do what he did in 6 weeks. There are people who say then need 4 hours to do 50 questions. So how did he do nearly 9K questions, read all the BRS, Hi-Y, Golgian etc in 6 weeks. There is a difference between inspiring versus misleading. I don't think the OP is lying to the forum. But I do think he is underestimating his intelligence. This guy is a genius whose plan wouldn't work for 99% of the people who read this. I'm just afraid people are going to try his ridiculous plan and then freak out when they haven't gotten through a 1/4 of what he did after 4 weeks.

Most students take 6 months what he did in 6 weeks. I just don't feel it's responsible to imply that anyone can do what he did in 6 weeks. There are people who say then need 4 hours to do 50 questions. So how did he do nearly 9K questions, read all the BRS, Hi-Y, Golgian etc in 6 weeks. There is a difference between inspiring versus misleading. I don't think the OP is lying to the forum. But I do think he is underestimating his intelligence. This guy is a genius who plan wouldn't work 99% of the people who read this.

Dude, that was me who posted the rebuttal - anyways this thread is supposed to be advice from experience, so if you'd like to continue arguing lets move it to PM. Otherwise I'm sure the students here are smart enough to realize themselves if the advice will help them or not.

I would like to clear up one thing, kindly re-read my post. Nowhere do I mention doing 9k questions, instead I clearly state I stopped using Qbank (at 24%), and only did about 60% of UW.

If you want to discuss anything else, please PM me. Thanks.

Dude, that was me who posted the rebuttal - anyways this thread is supposed to be advice from experience, so if you'd like to continue arguing lets move it to PM.

I would like to clear up one thing, kindly re-read my post. Nowhere do I mention doing 9k questions, instead I clearly state I stopped using Qbank (at 24%), and only did about 60% of UW.

If you want to argue anything else, please PM me. Thanks.

Regardless of how many questions you did, you still read many books in a very short period of time. Unless one is an absolute speed reader, he or she will not be able to cover what you did in such a short period of time. I'm not going to PM you because I have a right to respond here and lend my opinion. People are going to read this thread and come to their own conclusion. However, I know my replies will also make students question your advice which I think they should do.

Now on the flipside, if someone is aware of their abilities and can read quickly, I think your advice can really help those individuals. I just know there are plenty of people on SDN that wouldn't be able to cover your volume in 3 months let alone 6 weeks.

I don't think it's that unreasonable for 6+ weeks for a highly motivated student, even an "average" one with great inner strength.

At 100 pages/day, which doesn't seem that overwhelming (particularly with HY books), you could read over 4000 pages in that time. It seems to me to be an issue of endurance, not speed.

I don't think it's that unreasonable for 6+ weeks for a highly motivated student, even an "average" one with great inner strength.

At 100 pages/day, which doesn't seem that overwhelming (particularly with HY books), you could read over 4000 pages in that time. It seems to me to be an issue of endurance, not speed.

The books will obviously vary in content so some books will be challenging for even a 100 pages. First Aid is dense so 100 pgs of that is much more challenging than 100 pages of High Yield. Also, the subject matter varies too. And that's assuming you are doing no questions. I agree that it's a matter of endurance but it's also a matter of aptitude. "Inner strength" isn't going to increase one's reading speed. Again, it's about being smart and recognizing your strengths and weaknesses. One has to be practical and accept they aren't going to get a 250 with 6 weeks left unless they are a genius like the OP. It's better to try and attain a more maneagble goal and maintain your sanity and health. I'm not suggesting that people can't achieve a 250 however, if someone really wants a 250 and they are of average intelligence, he or she should have started studying 6 months ago.

Hi Bones, first of all congratulations- you're hard work really paid off!! I have a question you said that pancreatitis --> ARDS, how dies this work? Is it trypsin related? Thanks, and again PROPS! :D

Release of cytokines from the inflamed, self digesting pancreas (IL-8, TNF, etc), along with the activity of phospholipase A2 leads to ARDS.

Ref:(Chest. 2003;124:2341-2351.)
© 2003 American College of Chest Physicians
Pancreatitis-Associated Acute Lung Injury*

New Insights

Catherine M. Pastor, MD, PhD; Michael A. Matthay, MD, FCCP and Jean-Louis Frossard, MD

Yeah man, thank you soooo much.

I'm checking SDN daily for other tips, I dont know why I'm so paranoid. Im' not gonna change my schedule much but I'm just trying to get any reassurance that I can do it - I dont know why!

I plan on doing a schedule a lot like yours w/more questions and hopefully the reading'll go faster because I've already read through the thick books once (path, pharm, phys), and plan on reading them all again. I think I'm going to skip the cell and molecular, and probably the embryo (maybe I like the book though), and add in a day for the HY histo.

Thanks again.

I don't think that his plan was all that undoable, most students at my school have a similar schedule to his and read the same books. His post was to provide encouragement. I don't know what you are trying to accomplish fatsal.

Members don't see this ad :)
his plan isnt really difficult to do in 6 weeks. i also read a lot. i read brs path, brs physio, all the hy, kaplan, and first aid in 4 weeks. of course, this was 3 years ago when the first aid was half as thick as it is now.

The books will obviously vary in content so some books will be challenging for even a 100 pages. First Aid is dense so 100 pgs of that is much more challenging than 100 pages of High Yield. Also, the subject matter varies too. And that's assuming you are doing no questions. I agree that it's a matter of endurance but it's also a matter of aptitude. "Inner strength" isn't going to increase one's reading speed. Again, it's about being smart and recognizing your strengths and weaknesses. One has to be practical and accept they aren't going to get a 250 with 6 weeks left unless they are a genius like the OP. It's better to try and attain a more maneagble goal and maintain your sanity and health. I'm not suggesting that people can't achieve a 250 however, if someone really wants a 250 and they are of average intelligence, he or she should have started studying 6 months ago.
looks like someone really likes to argue

I agree with the other posters on this thread - its definitely doable. I started 4 weeks ago and in that time went thru HY anatomy/Neuro/Histo/Cell and Mol Bio/Pharm/Immuno, RR Neuro/Histo/Pharm/Biochem/Physio/Micro, BRS Physio.
Going thru Kaplan lecture notes this week and doing goljan RR Path along the way.....aim to be done by end of next week

bones is right, its just a question of endurance and motivation - any 'avg' med student can do this

Hi Fatsal

I appreciated your input on this post, I will make sure to read your future contributions on similar subjects.

Bones - congratulation!

looks like someone really likes to argue

I agree with the other posters on this thread - its definitely doable. I started 4 weeks ago and in that time went thru HY anatomy/Neuro/Histo/Cell and Mol Bio/Pharm/Immuno, RR Neuro/Histo/Pharm/Biochem/Physio/Micro, BRS Physio.
Going thru Kaplan lecture notes this week and doing goljan RR Path along the way.....aim to be done by end of next week

bones is right, its just a question of endurance and motivation - any 'avg' med student can do this

Well, I shouldn't be suprised by the responses that have been presented thus far since this is SDN and the average Step I score seems to be 240. However, for the rest of us that live in the real world, I strongly encourage you to take the responses on this thread with a pound of salt. I know threads like these are fun and inspiring to read but they often have the TV infomercial aspect to them. I know people who have achieved high scores on this exam and they spent months reading what guys here have finished in 4 weeks. Oh well, I'm sure someone will respond to this saying they read all of those books in a week, were ranked dead last in their class and scored a 260. I'm sure all of you are aware of the gunners who say they never study. Some of that same element is found in this thread. If it sounds to good to be true, it often is and playing Rocky music and having great "inner strength" is not going to compensate for the time that is truly needed to undertake this task.

Well, I shouldn't be suprised by the responses that have been presented thus far since this is SDN and the average Step I score seems to be 240. However, for the rest of us that live in the real world, I strongly encourage you to take the responses on this thread with a pound of salt. I know threads like these are fun and inspiring to read but they often have the TV infomercial aspect to them. I know people who have achieved high scores on this exam and they spent months reading what guys here have finished in 4 weeks. Oh well, I'm sure someone will respond to this saying they read all of those books in a week, were ranked dead last in their class and scored a 260.
no need to get worked up about it....just disregard the parts about how high he scored and how much he did in his prep period....there's still some damn good advice about the boards on here....

no need to get worked up about it....just disregard the parts about how high he scored and how much he did in his prep period....there's still some damn good advice about the boards on here....

I'm as worked up as the people who responded to my thread meaning I'm not worked up at all; I'm just lending my opinion like they did. I agree that his preparation was thorough, I just disagere with the tone of this thread that anyone can do this in 6 weeks. I feel that is irresponsible especially considering thousands read this.

Anyone who has really excelled on this exam knows there are no shortcuts. The majority of people who scred a 250 will tell you that it tooks months of preparation to achieve that score. Those people who are reading this know the OP's story is a rare case but won't respond because these infommercial like threads are all over SDN. I typically ignore these threads but I decided someone has to say something because some poor MS II will read this and mismanage their time as they foolishly try to cram all these books into 6 weeks as opposed to doing questions and taking a more balanced approach.

I strongly discourage anyone from wasting what few weeks they have left with trying to read every review book that is available. That's very counterproductive. Instead, focus on a few sources and do as many questions as possible.

Congrat. Bones! Did you use/read the Kaplan notes at all? cause that is what I am reading now... Thanks and congrat again!

I'm as worked up as the people who responded to my thread meaning I'm not worked up at all; I'm just lending my opinion like they did. I agree that his preparation was thorough, I just disagere with the tone of this thread that anyone can do this in 6 weeks. I feel that is irresponsible especially considering thousands read this.

Anyone who has really excelled on this exam knows there are no shortcuts. The majority of people who scred a 250 will tell you that it tooks months of preparation to achieve that score. Those people who are reading this know the OP's story is a rare case but won't respond because these infommercial like threads are all over SDN. I typically ignore these threads but I decided someone has to say something because some poor MS II will read this and mismanage their time as they foolishly try to cram all these books into 6 weeks as opposed to doing questions and taking a more balanced approach.

I strongly discourage anyone from wasting what few weeks they have left with trying to read every review book that is available. That's very counterproductive. Instead, focus on a few sources and do as many questions as possible.

I'm sorry, but your posts are starting to bother me. If you're bitter about a past experience preparing for boards, thats one thing. No need to completely trash someone else's advice on the matter.

There are PLENTY of people on this forum that have testified to studying in a similar span of 6 weeks for USMLE that have done extremely well on boards. To suggest that one has to devote 6+ months of board review in order to achieve a certain score is simply not true. (And imo... 6+ months of lackadaisical review (during which you'd certainly still be in lecture getting exposed to new board-relevant material for the first time)... isn't for everyone.

Anyhow, I've seen a number of other suggestions in the Step 1 forum (e.g. sacrificing studying time in order to do some 10,000+ questions) that I find CONSIDERABLY less efficient than simply spending more energy ironing up concepts/integrations as Bones has suggested here.

Completing USMLE world and several NBME exams is more than enough when it comes to questions. Signing up for a dozen qbanks in the vain hope that completing a gazillion questions will somehow make up for straight up board review... is just stupid.

fatsal, it is obvious that bones is not a slacker. Gunners call themselves slackers (no offense to the op). Just take a look at his post, does that sound like a slacker at all? He has everything organized to concise detail. "Slacking" to them is being ahead of schedule instead of being WAY ahead of schedule. Im sure the op studied extremely hard during his first 2 years. Understanding does not come in 6 weeks, it comes over a span of 2 years. You would have to take all the classes to be able to integrate everything later in the first place. But at the end of the day his post has legit advice. It is up to YOU to figure out your own schedule based on your own aptitute. Thank you for the excellent post bones.

Phenomenal score, and phenomenal recovery from a 228 on the first NBME!

Someone here needs to calm down a bit. Such anger...

fatsal, it is obvious that bones is not a slacker. Gunners call themselves slackers (no offense to the op). Just take a look at his post, does that sound like a slacker at all? He has everything organized to concise detail. "Slacking" to them is being ahead of schedule instead of being WAY ahead of schedule. Im sure the op studied extremely hard during his first 2 years. Understanding does not come in 6 weeks, it comes over a span of 2 years. You would have to take all the classes to be able to integrate everything later in the first place. But at the end of the day his post has legit advice. It is up to YOU to figure out your own schedule based on your own aptitute. Thank you for the excellent post bones.

Asceptic

Thank you for offering a candid and wise response. It's about time someone other than myself injected a dose of reality into this thread. In no way am I belittling the accomplishments of the OP. His advice is good. However, it's the implication and tone that I have issues with. It's going to be very difficult for anyone to read that volume in such a short period of time unless you are a naturally fast reader and/or understand the fairly well which the OP does. The OP is clearly not a slacker. I think he offers a good plan but honestly a plan like that will take the average medical student months to accomplish. Anyway, in hindsight, I realized I should have just ignored this thread. If people are stupid enough to believe the OP and are upset with me because I questioned his advice (which I feel people should do) then so be it. There are always people who fall prey to this type of thing.

To the OP, just curious, how did you do on the MCATs?

To fatsal, I see exactly where you're coming from. TRUE slacking (whatever that means) during years 1-2 and thinking that 4-6 weeks is enough to nail a 250+ score is HIGHLY unlikely. Almost all of the 250+ students that I know have consistently worked very hard for their score.

The OP was able to do it for many other reasons (was not a "true" slacker, is very intelligent but lazy, history of high standardized test scores, miracle, etc).

I would recommend all pre-Step 1 studs to study very hard during med school. Understand and learn as much as possible. That is just one variable in the equation that equals a "great board score."

First off, I want to thank SDN and its collective wisdom, some really great stuff on these boards. I just got my score back today, and I’ve been putting together this guide for a while now to give back to the community. (Its LONG!)

So, how did a guy like me who slacked off in basic sciences (I only marginally passed immunology) do well on the boards? Play the game – Know what they’re asking and you’re already two steps ahead. Here’s a good breakdown of how the test goes:

Out of each block of 50 questions, approximately:

• 25-30 q’s would be ones you know, from studying your ass off
  • 10-15 q’s would be ones you *should* know, i.e. you studied but forgot, or there are little details that are tripping you up, etc.
  • 5-10 are the “out of the box” q’s – experimental, stuff you’ve never seen before, minutia from your syllabi or even college courses.

Also this test is very integrative. You’ll have path, phys, and immune all in one question. They’ll combine all types of things, have you make these crazy connections – but with a strong foundation you can do it. The goal of your studying is to maximize those first two groups of questions – by building a strong foundation of BOTH concepts and details.

Strategy:
I had about 6.5 weeks to study – I would say 7 but it took me almost 4 days just to get organized – like figuring out which are the best books, putting together a schedule, etc.

Also, GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN GOLJAN. The man is amazing, he puts stuff together like you can’t imagine. Pepper your studying with his audio lectures – i.e. listen to him whenever possible. The last couple of weeks, I would listen to him while driving, randomly throughout the day, and even in the shower/while getting ready (I know its nuts, but I got an extra lecture in everyday this way!)

Daily Schedule I would study about 10-14 hours a day, depending on when I wake up, and how I was feeling that day. Early on I would spend most of the time with books, then more time with FA as the date got closer. I would try to do 100 q's a day, but it would usually be 50.

First, start off with a pass of first aid – go through it and realize what topics you know well, and what topics you will need to focus on. Also familiarize yourself with the layout, it can be confusing at times and knowing where everything is will definitely save you some time. Then, go through the various study books you have – Read important details, really go through for UNDERSTANDING, and annotate details as much as possible into FA.

Here are my thoughts about each subject and the best book to use (based on my pouring over previous experiences and from personal experience):

• Comprehensive – First aid is still the best. At first I hated the book, and then I realized just how much information is in there. It really is an acquired taste – just get used to it at first, and make sure you annotate into it. It does have holes, and you need to fill them up.
  • Question banks – So I have to say trying both Qbank and USMLEWorld, that UW freaking rocks. The question style, subject matter, etc are all so similar to the step. Qbank is a great tool for testing facts – but their questions focus too much on minutia. UW Ties those facts in with concepts – its great how they do it, and that’s exactly what you’ll have to do on the test. Plus UW costs less (after all those books trust me it adds up). If you only have time for one – do UW. Your brain will hurt, but that’s what the test is like. It really helps maximize those “should know” questions I talked about earlier, and helps tie together concepts. But make sure you read the answer choices and explanations, especially the “educational concept” at the bottom. If you have a time for a 2nd, I would then suggest USMLE-Rx – only because going through the answers is like another read of FA. Qbank? Sorry, but its yesterday’s news.
  • Biochem: RR Biochem – Goljan – I always had a tough time with biochem, and this book was a good balance (in between HY biochem and Lippincott’s). The biochem q’s on the test weren’t too difficult, you either knew it or you didn’t. A lot of the tougher questions came from molec/cell biology (see below)
  • Anatomy: HY Gross, HY Neuro (I got HY embryo and histo but didn’t use them) – Had quite a bit of neuro and extremity anatomy (upper and lower) – and an xray of a fractured foot which kinda threw me off. Otherwise not too difficult – the consensus here is really knowing upper/lower extremity and neuroanatomy well. Know the embryo from FA, and tie in Histo to disease, bc that’s how it’ll be tested.
  • Cell/Molec bio: HY Cell/Molec bio – good book to familiarize yourself with concepts like hox genes (I had 2 q’s about them), Zn finger proteins, heat shock proteins, and cell signaling/receptor/2nd messenger stuff. Also great for knowing different molecular tests, DNA/RNA synthesis, etc. A lot of the “out of the box” questions come from molec bio, worded strangely and can piss you off, but you have decode what they’re asking and this book will help understand whats going on.
  • Behavioral science – I used BRS Behavioral, and it was a good book. I had a good mix of behavioral on my test, this section makes up a relatively large chunk, and like everyone says it can make or break you – so study it well. I also had a lot of patient response questions, which are generally difficult to study for, and there are always two answer choices that look good – really try to figure out the best on though.
  • ID/Micro – Micro Ridiculously simple – still the best book for micro – great stuff, annotate into FA – haven’t had a chance to look at the newest version. Micro is pretty well represented in the test, and they test details; also know your Abx well. Delve deep into the differences between each bug, the various ways they can present – compare and contrast different infections; and focus mostly on bacteria – then on viruses, then on antimicrobials – then fungi – and least important are parasites.
  • Immuno – I used HY Immuno – good read (90 pages of like huge text); but here is a key point. Immunologic processes play a huge role in the mechanism of diseases, and you know this test is about mechanisms! So know your immunopath well – i.e. ARDS in pancreatitis, why?! Why do you get the consolidation in pneumonia (related to diapedesis). So much of immune related to pathophys – so learn it in immune well, learn it in FA well, learn the immunopath during pathology well.
  • Physiology – BRS Phys is great – especially since this section can be tough. A lot of charts, graphs, arrows, messy stuff. I had a good mix of cardio/resp/renal/GI phys. But really really understand what physiological changes take place during exercises/sympathetic stimulation/high altitude, and those sorts of things. Really be able to tie in with path, bc pathophys is “big-time boards”
  • Pathology – RR Path by Goljan – I think its better than BRS, because its more integrative. I would say Path is getting “diluted” on the boards, because they are now mixing in path questions with biochem, or path with phys, path with immuno, etc. And goljan does a fantastic job of bringing these points together. Really focus on the first few chapters, really understand the different types of necrosis, know your immunopath, dig deep into mechanisms of diseases. Pictures - I looked at Goljan's mostly, and supplemented a few with WebPath, for most you can tell what you're looking at from the question (1 of them from the answers :))
  • Pharm – USMLE Roadmap – Pharm - The pharm on the test is straight forward, and usually ties in with other questions. FA is great alone, especially if you already have a strong background in pharm. I had a tough time with Pharm, bc our school doesn’t teach it well; so I really focused on this section near the end.
NBME - After going through everything once, and/or two weeks before your test – I suggest taking an NBME. This will really let you know A) where you stand and B) where your strengths/weaknesses are. This will help you guide the last couple of weeks to focus on what can trip you up, and re-enforce your strengths. Also, the NBME questions are by far the most representative questions to the actual thing – so look at the style of questions. Forms 2 and 3 are the most representative of the actual thing, Form 1 is supposed to be the easiest, and Form 4 is the most challenging (a lot of molec bio).

The last couple of weeks then, really go through FA and your notes, atleast once in depth, twice if you can, and once more in your weakest areas. Throw in some goljan as you can, and also keep doing questions (more on that to come). Keep thinking outside the box, tie together concepts, try to anticipate how they may ask the questions, and make sure you are picking up on the finer details. This is your time to re-enforce concepts, and really memorize the little details you picked up the first few weeks.

The final week, really kick it up a notch, even if you can’t feel like it. That last week, my stomach would churn even holding first aid, but I knew I had to. Do some questions if you want to, but time is of the essence. Think through everything, UNDERSTAND concepts, whats in FA and your notes – learn all the details like about the viruses, the cancer drugs, the different CAH deficiencies – etc. Live and breathe FA

The last day – go for memorizing whatever details you have left, like anatomy, pharm side effects, etc. – pick up what you can, but don’t overdue it. Set a schedule, and a time to be done. After you are done, THAT’S IT. PUT THE FIRST AID DOWN! You know what you know – and trust me by now, you are prepared.

I knew I would have a tough time sleeping the night before, so I didn’t take any caffeine or sugar after noon the day before. After I stopped studying, I just relaxed – watched Borat, got my mind off things, and went to sleep, knowing that freaking aye man, I put my life on hold for 2 months, I was listening to Goljan in the SHOWER! I’ve done everything I can, so now I just gotta take it, and in a few hours it will be over.

The test: I arrived early, with a bag full of junk I never ended up using (except lunch). I spent each block going through the questions, and would mark the tougher ones. At the end of each block, I would go through all the marked ones, and really think through them, until I had gone through all of them. Then I would go through the whole block again, just to make sure I didn’t misread or miss something, and I would have about a minute left after that. Whatever you do, TAKE A BREAK between each block – even 2 minutes. Just zone out, wonder which test the 60yr old guy next to you is taking, but just let your brain relax. The prometric staff were professional and everything went smoothly. Seats were comfortable – they just need to get freaking LCD screens

I thought the first couple of blocks went well, then it was downhill from there. I started feeling feverish, my heart was racing, I had a bad headache, I really thought I was getting sick. Also my eyes were getting strained from the computer screen. So I would walk outside during each break just to get some fresh air. The test is a mind game – and honestly it got the better of me – I was getting very anxious, I had to calm myself down a few times. I’m telling you this now – so you can prepare for it if it happens to you.

Timing By now you should’ve been taking questions in timed blocks of 50, so you know if speed will be an issue. If you are slow, try to look for the simpler questions, realize this is one of the ones you know, and move on, save your time for 2-3 step questions. If you know you rush, fight the urge! You’ve spent two months studying, whats a few minutes? Look over each question carefully, I almost missed (atleast) two questions just because I missed one (yes ONE) word in the stem!

After the test – damn man, you’re freaking done. You did it. Now go back home, go see your family or your friends, go see the sun, go do anything. Just live life. And wait patiently for your scores (argh).

So, as far as #’s go:
First starting – about 50% on UWorld, 60% on Qbank (I stopped using Qbank about half way through)
Final score – 254/99

Thanks again to all the collective advice on SDN – and I hope this experience helps you out. Best of luck, and I know you will kick some ass.

Any questions feel free to ask away! :D
What scores did you make in your Uworld cuz i'm getting a little frustrated with some of my scores :mad: .

he listed his scores on his original post:

So, as far as #'s go:
Final score – 254/99

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This guide is just my experience, and what I learned along the way. Nowhere do I guarantee a high score following my method. Hell, if I could guarantee a great score, I'd be in Kaplan's office negotiating a deal (for an infomercial probably :laugh: ), not posting my advice on a free forum.

So Allow me to calm some people (fatsal) down by saying:
DISCLAIMER - YOUR EXPERIENCE MAY VARY!

Anyway, There's a lot more to take home besides the time frame, like the books to use, how the subjects are tested, what my testing day was like, and how the last two weeks of "integrating" helped me go from 228 -> 254.

Also I did *not* study hard the first 2 years (lots of P's and an MP), and I regretted it. The BEST way to study for this test, is to kick ass the first couple of years. Because the whole time studying for the boards I wish I would've studied harder in class.

DOCTORSAIB: my MCAT was 35

Lastly, to fatsal. Sorry you can't see past the 6 weeks thing and look to all the other advice. But you've made your point, thanks for your input, now move on and quit crapping in my thread. Thanks :)

You're a slacker who got a 35 on the MCAT and a 254 on Step I and you only managed to barely pass classes. Where did you go to medical school, Hopkins? So if you studied would you have gotten a 40 and 270? Congrats, that's impressive. I wish I could slack and get scores like that. Thanks for the great advice. Based on you thread, I think will try to incorporate some books like the high yield series. I think I can get through those quickly

Hey bones, did you find that FA embryo was enough? I dont think you mentioned using it, but did you ever take a look at HY Embryo?

Uh...you might be a slacker but you are also a genius.You must read at a lighting pace because it would be difficult for normal med student to read all the BRS, HY and do every question bank in 6 weeks. Congratulations on your success but your advice isn't any different than the guys who spent 6 months preparing for the exam. You were just able to accomplish what they did in 6 weeks versus 6 months. Also, starting at 50-60% on Q-bank is quite good and what the students in the top 10% of the class get. No offense, but there is no way your advice applies to the common med student.

6 months to prepare? Four hours to do 50 questions? What the hell are you talking about? Are you a foreign or Caribbean student or something?

6 months to prepare? Four hours to do 50 questions? What the hell are you talking about? Are you a foreign or Caribbean student or something?

:laugh: Oh man, be prepared to receive crap about that comment!

What the he$% are you talking about? I guess you missed the unlimited number of threads scattered all over SDN with people starting their Step I review in January. One of the most well known and highest scoring Step I SDN members Big Frank spent 6 months preparing. I guess he is an idiot too.

What the he$% are you talking about? I guess you missed the unlimited number of threads scattered all over SDN with people starting their Step I review in January. One of the most well known and highest scoring Step I SDN members Big Frank spent 6 months preparing. I guess he is an idiot too.

Yeah, but for about 5 1/2 of those 6 months he also had class.

Yeah, but for about 5 1/2 of those 6 months he also had class.

I think most people are intuitive enough to figure that out when one mentions they started preparing in January. The point is about starting early not needing 6 free months to prepare

But that's not what fatsal and Tired are talking about.

No, you are just reading into it. Fatsal said people study months in advance. That's not translation for taking 6 months off to study. Most students start studying months in advance while they are taking classes.

You're a slacker who got a 35 on the MCAT and a 254 on Step I and you only managed to barely pass classes. Where did you go to medical school, Hopkins? So if you studied would you have gotten a 40 and 270? Congrats, that's impressive. I wish I could slack and get scores like that. Thanks for the great advice. Based on you thread, I think will try to incorporate some books like the high yield series. I think I can get through those quickly

The HY series are definitely good

As far as MCAT and Step, I've never studied harder in my life than for those two tests, with Step >> MCAT. I definitely slacked through med school, but you can tell I was serious about step studying (14 hrs a day, listening to Goljan in the SHOWER :oops:).

to merovingian - FA embryo is pretty good, but you need to supplement from other sources (like for omphalocele, causes of pre-ductal coarct, etc). But HY Embryo was overkill for the time I had

Bones, I have a question. Should I take take an NBME before I am finished with my review (first pass) or should I wait until I finish reviewing every subject. Initially, I was planning on taking an NBME two weeks before I take the exam (which is before I start biochemstudying) and one NBME after I fnish biochem ( about a week and a half before my exam). Should I just wait until after I finish biochem- which is one and a half weeks b4 my exam -and then take an NBME exam? Alternaltively, should I just try to finish early so that I can take the NBME exams 2 weeks before studying. Thanks alot.

Basically Bones: Step 1 Exam date: 5/19
Option 1: May 4 NBME form 2 --> biochem studying --> NBME form 3 May 8
Option2: finish Biochem May 8 --> May 9 do NBME 2,3
Option 3: finish Biochem May 4 (getting thru my remaining subjects faster) --> NBME 2,3 May 5th
Thanks again :)

Basically Bones: Step 1 Exam date: 5/19
Option 1: May 4 NBME form 2 --> biochem studying --> NBME form 3 May 8
Option2: finish Biochem May 8 --> May 9 do NBME 2,3
Option 3: finish Biochem May 4 (getting thru my remaining subjects faster) --> NBME 2,3 May 5th
Thanks again :)

You'd want to finish a first pass of all the subjects before taking the NBME - so it'll be an honest assessment.

Options 2 and 3 sound good. Just be sure to not sacrifice an important subject if you finish 4 days early (opt 3). If you can cover it thoroughly, and still be done faster, then you'll have extra days for reviewing closer to the test date.

best of luck!

bones and other step 1 experts, how much were you able to retain after reviewing a certain subject?

i usually review a certain subject, do some questions, and then move onto a new subject... but i always leave the previous subject uncomfortably... i don't feel i have a good grasp on it, but i feel the need to keep moving forward.

so my question is, what's better... learning the subjects very well one at a time before moving on to the next, or running through all of them quickly (but uncomfortably) to have gone through everything once and then repeat?

bones and other step 1 experts, how much were you able to retain after reviewing a certain subject?

i usually review a certain subject, do some questions, and then move onto a new subject... but i always leave the previous subject uncomfortably... i don't feel i have a good grasp on it, but i feel the need to keep moving forward.

so my question is, what's better... learning the subjects very well one at a time before moving on to the next, or running through all of them quickly (but uncomfortably) to have gone through everything once and then repeat?

I too would like to know the answer to this question. Did you retain the information after a first reading or did you reread the books. Did you just read the books or did you make a concerted effort to memorize pages in the book and if so what method did you use? Did you cover up the page and then try to recall it, did you take notes. What did you do? In regards to rate, how much time would it take you to read a chapter in First Aid or a chapter in BRS?

Bones - congratulations, dude! Thanks for the uplifting post - gives us slackers some hope(maybe not of a 250+...but still)

One more question: how did you structure your day? Questions in the morning and then review in the afternoon/evening? Or something else?

Dude!! Thumbs up on the great score!!
Thanks for all your great input. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me a summary of your study schedule. I have about 6 weeks before my step 1 and right now I'm thinking 4 weeks for book review (Goljan, BRS, etc.) with FA in a systems approach and some Qbank and UW. Then the last two weeks all I'm planning on doing is FA and hitting the questions hard!!
I don't really know how much time to allot for subjects like biochem, micro, and immuno, and (what i consider) lesser yield like histo, behavioral science, and psych.
Also, I've heard different things about taking full-length exams (simulated in Qbank--50 q blocks). Some people say it really lets you know when your strong times are and when you fatigue so it's really worth it, others say it's more counterproductive than anything else. What's your input into that?