Official 2021 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goal weight: 250+ lbs
I've been eating a lot everyday so I think I have a chance

On a serious note, we just might be the last ones to take it pre-P/F. Let's rock.

Edit: As of today, we ARE the last ones to take it pre-P/F.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
NBME 25 was a 215 that was taken like 5 weeks ago
CBSE (which I guess counts as a NBME?) was a 234 taken 2.5 weeks ago
Haven't had time for anymore since I'm trying to finish up UWorld
Nice! I think you're doing great! I think doing all the questions NBME provides may be just as important if not more important than finishing uworld. Do both if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
The most predictive test scores for me were UW2 and NBME 30
Yeah, I'll be taking UW2 soon for sure. Not sure about NBME 30...don't want to get my confidence dented when I'm getting close :unsure:
Nice! I think you're doing great! I think doing all the questions NBME provides may be just as important if not more important than finishing uworld. Do both if you can.
lol I wish I had time to do all of the NBME's but at the rate I'm going I'll barely be able to finish UWorld! I've done over 7,000 q-bank questions, so gotta hope I've covered a lot of the content

Generally how I tackled those topics was the info given in the vignette. If the triglycerides are high then you know it's gonna be a fibrate. If they have contraindications to certain meds due to muscle myopathy then that narrows it down. I can't remember a single question through all practice Qs that asked me to discern between 2nd line treatments for dyslipidemia that didn't have something in the vignette that either excluded a given answer choice or a tidbit that helped rule in only a single answer
I agree focus on the differences between the meds instead of all the similarities. Learn the side effects or things they do that are special and of course how they work. For example it is more important to remember bile acid resistant can increase triglycerides than to know the decrease ldl and increase Hdl. There really are not that many of them and they are very high yield so 8 would try to make sure you focus on those differences

Members don't see this ad :)
In Multiple Melanoma neoplastic plasma cells secretes IL-6 which stimulates Osteoclasts Stimulating Factor (isn’t this IL-1).. does that mean IL-6 stimulates IL-1? And so whenever IL-1 is released (inflammation) does that means osteoclasts are stimulated as well? Seems odd, can someone confirm/ deny please?

Got a 241 on UWAS2

78/68/80/78

Had a breakdown in the second block which saw me make 3-4 dumb errors....really goes to show how much your mental state can affect things.

Question for you guys is that my test is in a weekish so I'm wondering how I should focus my studying. I have ~700 questions left on UW, not sure if I should try to finish it all or start focusing on content review.

Last edited:
Question for you guys is that my test is in a weekish so I'm wondering how I should focus my studying. I have ~700 questions left on UW, not sure if I should try to finish it all or start focusing on content review.
Questions, always questions.

Got a 241 on UWAS2

78/68/80/78

Had a mini panic attack in the second block which saw me make 3-4 dumb errors....really goes to show how much your mental state can affect things.

That’s where I was at with that score. Grind questions and the 100 most tested concept list this last week and you will break 240.

Free120 at Prometric tomorrow, woohoo
93%! I'm so ready to be done with step at this point. The idea of pushing through UWSA1, Anki, and 240-300 more UWorld questions between now and Saturday is daunting.

Also, was not a fan of free120 question style. A lot more memorization-dependent and less context than UWorld

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say it felt more like and NBME?
Yeah, I'd say it felt more like NBME. Question stems were relatively short. Was able to breeze through a handful at a time based on the last 2-3 sentences of the question stem. Then there would be something that tripped me up. There were a few longer stems per block, but less than 5 I'd say? It's hard for me to remember exactly. It became a blur the moment I walked out of Prometric.

Okay team, I have 3 options and could use some advice. There are 3 full days left before exam day. 240 UWorld questions and UWSA1 remain. Here are the options:
  1. Wednesday: UWSA1, Thursday: 120 UWorld questions, Friday: Rest, biostats, ethics, pathoma 1-3
  2. Wednesday: 120 UWorld, Thursday: 120 UWorld, Friday: Rest, biostats, ethics, pathoma 1-3
  3. Wednesday: UWSA1, Thursday: 120 UWorld, Friday: 120 UWorld
Option 3 sounds awful, so I'm probably not going to do that and leave 120 UWorld questions incomplete. UWSA2 is already done. Thoughts?

Okay team, I have 3 options and could use some advice. There are 3 full days left before exam day. 240 UWorld questions and UWSA1 remain. Here are the options:
  1. Wednesday: UWSA1, Thursday: 120 UWorld questions, Friday: Rest, biostats, ethics, pathoma 1-3
  2. Wednesday: 120 UWorld, Thursday: 120 UWorld, Friday: Rest, biostats, ethics, pathoma 1-3
Option 3 sounds awful, so I'm probably not going to do that and leave 120 UWorld questions incomplete. UWSA2 is already done. Thoughts?
I would take the last day completely off. Those last 3 UW blocks won’t affect your score.

Reactions: 2 users
#1 but I would do 120 Q then UWSA1 then rest

Anyone know if dirty medicine and Randy neils ethics videos will be enough for a quick overview? Ethics is my weakest section, so I'm really trying to bolster that.

Option 1 but I'd say ditch the extra 120 UW questions and utilize that time to rest after taking UW1. Definitely agree that doing a last-minute cram of pathoma ch 1-3, biostatistics and ethics will net you more points overall than a random hodgepodge of UW questions this late in the game.

• Care
Option 1 but I'd say ditch the extra 120 UW questions and utilize that time to rest after taking UW1. Definitely agree that doing a last-minute cram of pathoma ch 1-3, biostatistics and ethics will net you more points overall than a random hodgepodge of UW questions this late in the game.
Any ideas of things to do instead of the UWorld questions? UWorld doesn't show any glaring weaknesses. Maybe I could do some incorrects on tutor mode or watch some Pathoma

Any ideas of things to do instead of the UWorld questions? UWorld doesn't show any glaring weaknesses. Maybe I could do some incorrects on tutor mode or watch some Pathoma
Here are some pathoma vids that I plan to rewatch as a last minute refresher because they've been giving me a hard time on questions, especially when it hinges on recognizing the histology:

brain/lung/repro tumors
Thyroid
Nephritic/Nephrotic syndrome
Maybe vasculitis but these have been fine so far lol.

Here are some pathoma vids that I plan to rewatch as a last minute refresher because they've been giving me a hard time on questions, especially when it hinges on recognizing the histology:

brain/lung/repro tumors
Thyroid
Nephritic/Nephrotic syndrome
Maybe vasculitis but these have been fine so far lol.
Right on. I made a list too. Took UWSA1 today, looks like I'll be in good shape for the big day. Currently 2k behind in AnKing reviews from the past week or two, feels sacrilegious after 1.5 years of barely missing a day.

finished Uworld at total overall correct of 70%! just free 120 left now + pathoma 1-3 and maybe some ethics. At this point, I hope it is enough for a 240+

• Care
Right on. I made a list too. Took UWSA1 today, looks like I'll be in good shape for the big day. Currently 2k behind in AnKing reviews from the past week or two, feels sacrilegious after 1.5 years of barely missing a day.
I just spent the entire day on Anki... set my personal record of 3,700 cards... kill... me... now...

I just spent the entire day on Anki... set my personal record of 3,700 cards... kill... me... now...
Oh no. That sounds awful. Did you at least mark everything as correct? The algorithm doesn’t matter much at this point lol, unless it’s on step 2 I’m like meh, I was close enough

Oh no. That sounds awful. Did you at least mark everything as correct? The algorithm doesn’t matter much at this point lol, unless it’s on step 2 I’m like meh, I was close enough
I wish I could just stop, but I don’t think I will till I’m a little bit closer to my exam (24 days out). My brain doesn’t retain information well, but I know Anki works for me so I have to keep it in the line-up for now. I’m thinking kicking the habit about 4-5 days before the test though

I wish I could just stop, but I don’t think I will till I’m a little bit closer to my exam (24 days out). My brain doesn’t retain information well, but I know Anki works for me so I have to keep it in the line-up for now. I’m thinking kicking the habit about 4-5 days before the test though
For some reason, I had it in my head that you were taking the exam sooner. Like within a week. Definitely makes sense to keep up with Anki where you're at

81% on the free 120, ngl thought I was doing way better

78/78/88, that first and third block score are weird since I thought I killed the first one and got wrecked on the third one

81% on the free 120, ngl thought I was doing way better

78/78/88, that first and third block score are weird since I thought I killed the first one and got wrecked on the third one
Free 120 felt weird to me. Leaned toward NBME style and not much clinical content at all. Not a big fan

EDIT: clinical conteXt, yes there was clinical content lol.

Last edited:
Idk how you do it man. I legit stopped doing anking reviews at the beginning of dedicated and now only do a filtered deck of tagged cards corresponding to concepts from incorrect questions. Even then I don't always do them consistently lol. How many UW questions do you do per day?

Idk how you do it man. I legit stopped doing anking reviews at the beginning of dedicated and now only do a filtered deck of tagged cards corresponding to concepts from incorrect questions. Even then I don't always do them consistently lol. How many UW questions do you do per day?
Blows me away to hear of the people who can do 120 UW + Anki reviews + spot checking in BnB/Pixorize/etc. I was like 120 UW plus like 200 reviews, total. Maybe it's an attention span thing.

I’m not doing it well.. I’m at 80 Q a day but right now I’m pretty defeated. I just took 27 and my score didn’t change from 26, 201. I’m not sure what the hell to do at this point.

I’m not doing it well.. I’m at 80 Q a day but right now I’m pretty defeated. I just took 27 and my score didn’t change from 26, 201. I’m not sure what the hell to do at this point.
Have you tried AMBOSS at all yet? I solidly think that my high baseline is from AnKing and AMBOSS throughout the year. Maybe try adding some tutor mode AMBOSS to your routine, especially their 3, 4, and 5 hammer questions. Take your time and try to reason through the whole thing. I think that forced me to really know the material/systems rather than depending on memorization and pattern recognition. Those questions will probably wreck even the best of us, but practicing the reasoning skills there might translate to better guesswork on UWorld and NBME wtf questions.

Blows me away to hear of the people who can do 120 UW + Anki reviews + spot checking in BnB/Pixorize/etc. I was like 120 UW plus like 200 reviews, total. Maybe it's an attention span thing.
I tried doing this and it was not sustainable at all in the slightest. Cut down my anki reviews and went all in on questions lol, today is the first day in a while that I'm opening up something else besides UW or a NBME

I suggest going all in on questions and cut down on anki. That's what I did and my scores rose, plus Anki burnout is a real thing....

These new nbmes have crazy questions and the curve can be brutal. How does your % correct on the nbme stack up to your UW % ?

I suggest going all in on questions and cut down on anki. That's what I did and my scores rose, plus Anki burnout is a real thing....
Honestly I think you’re right. Before I ever read this I had decided to suspend everything in Anki expect pharm, Lolnotacop, and the random things that I just have to memorize. I think I’m memorizing and not learning content.

These new nbmes have crazy questions and the curve can be brutal. How does your % correct on the nbme stack up to your UW % ?
I’m 66-68% on NBME’s, and 63% on uworld. So it seems I do better on NBME’s but I’m getting such ****ty scores. I don’t even know what percent scores I need to be at to even get a 230 but it seems impossible

I’m 66-68% on NBME’s, and 63% on uworld. So it seems I do better on NBME’s but I’m getting such ****ty scores. I don’t even know what percent scores I need to be at to even get a 230 but it seems impossible
i havent taken step yet but i have been looking around online to see what people say and it seems like the real deal is not as vague and essentailly not as bad as the NBMEs so take that with a grain of salt becasue i personally think the NBMEs are a great thing to learn all the random BS type questions but not necessarily to see how well you are doing, i think UW is a much better indicator, just my 2cents

Only time will tell how predictive the new nbmes truly are but if it's any consolation, the few classmates who've taken it early have said their forms felt more like UW/nbme120. I'm honestly not even sure how they calculated the 3 digit number so I'd even go as far as to disregard it for now. Otherwise, for what it's worth the % seems to be matching your UW % which is actually the case with me and a few other people I know as well.

Just crammed in Randy Neil's and Dirty Med's ethics videos....def feel a little better about them now

So i took it today and is it weird to think that it wasn't all that bad??

some stuff Ive never heard of, and some dumb mistakes too, but overall a doable exam for sure

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
So i took it today and is it weird to think that it wasn't all that bad??

some stuff Ive never heard of, and some dumb mistakes too, but overall a doable exam for sure
Not weird at all. I felt fine after it and the ones that were hard I was pretty sure were the experimental ones that wouldn't count

Took it today as well. Many felt doable. Mostly felt like UWorld. Really long question stems. Very few short NBME style questions