Official 2021 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goal weight: 250+ lbs
I've been eating a lot everyday so I think I have a chance

On a serious note, we just might be the last ones to take it pre-P/F. Let's rock.

Edit: As of today, we ARE the last ones to take it pre-P/F.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
odd question but does anybody know how to find past years match data documents - preferably by specialty, when i searched 2018 match data i could only see the overall match one page document

Members don't see this ad :)
4 Weeks out as of today.
NBME 29: 214 (Taken on Saturday)
UWorld: 61% little less halfway done
TrueLearn: 60.5% little more than halfway done

Should I take a UWorld self-assessment this weekend? Really wanting to hit a 230 does this look promising?
Still waiting on my step score to be released (tested 5/17) but the final numbers were
NBME 29: 214
CBSE: 217
COMSAE: 528
UWSA1: 238
NBME 25: 214
UWSA2: 230
Free 120: 83%
64% Uworld first pass (and only pass)
60% TrueLearn first pass (>80% on last 500 Q's)
COMLEX Level 1: 530-550 (gotta leave a little anonymity for all the people at my school that know me)

Still crossing my fingers for that 231 on Step so I can comfortably apply to gas but who knows. I am just happy to be getting into the hospital this year.

By the time we get to July, I’m not gonna really care about my score anymore. It is what is at that point

The interesting thing is that I've forgotten the questions on Step that made me feel anxious. I'm almost starting to feel confident about what my score will be, whereas before I remembered all the little details that messed me up.

Reactions: 1 user
Preparing for the Step 1
Can someone comment on which of the following appear on Step 1 and Step 2, respectively?

Ethics, biostatics, communications, behavioral science/social science, epidemiology.

Some say that all of these appear on both Step 1 and Step 2. I am pretty sure that ethics/communications/biostatics will appear on Step 1 but not too sure about behavioral science/social science and epidemiology (those seem more Step 2 focus)

Thanks

Also, what are your recommendations on preparing for research paper/experiment-based questions? I heard they are quite difficult on the real thing.

Preparing for the Step 1
Can someone comment on which of the following appear on Step 1 and Step 2, respectively?

Ethics, biostatics, communications, behavioral science/social science, epidemiology.

Some say that all of these appear on both Step 1 and Step 2. I am pretty sure that ethics/communications/biostatics will appear on Step 1 but not too sure about behavioral science/social science and epidemiology (those seem more Step 2 focus)

Thanks
Step 1: biostats, communications, behavioral and social science (to the extend that you can interact with patients in a professional and culturally sensitive manner), epidemiology. Ethics may or may not, this is debated. It's a 1 hr read on AMBOSS so just do it lol. DEFINITELY study epidemiology and biostatistics. These are easy points if you understand the formulas and what they mean. These are way easier than any path question you'll encounter - I think numbers just scare med students.

Step 2: All of the above, plus ethics for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what are your recommendations on preparing for research paper/experiment-based questions? I heard they are quite difficult on the real thing.
Practice and trust your understanding of physiology. They're almost always getting after physiology and pathophysiology in those questions.

does anybody know how to change anki settings so that there are no/the least amount of reviews and only new cards shown

Oh ya, I already too both of those. just wanted to get in one more NBME, I’ll do 29
Only took 29 and in my humble opinion, the questions were a steaming hot pile of garbage lol. The real thing was nothing like it tbh. I know it's a contrarian opinion since it's received such praise from class mates and people on sdn/reddit but I legit didn't see any redeeming qualities with nbme 29 and decided to just skip nbmes altogether.

Only took 29 and in my humble opinion, the questions were a steaming hot pile of garbage lol. The real thing was nothing like it tbh. I know it's a contrarian opinion since it's received such praise from class mates and people on sdn/reddit but I legit didn't see any redeeming qualities with nbme 29 and decided to just skip nbmes altogether.
Took it today, ended up being my best NBME by 12 points lol. No idea how it will compare to step but it’s whatever at this point

would you say the real thing was more like UW then?

underperformed on step, this new pool of questions/curve is kind of brutal man!

a lot of my friends also dropped from their UWAS2

Based on the 7 people I have talked to it ranges from 9-18 points
Damn that’s rough. Did the exam feel really different from UW or something? I take step tomorrow and am kinda freaking out with how many people seem to be underperforming, not that I could do anything about it right now anyway.

Damn that’s rough. Did the exam feel really different from UW or something? I take step tomorrow and am kinda freaking out with how many people seem to be underperforming, not that I could do anything about it right now anyway.
not sure what it is....

some theories I have are that the UW assessments skew heavily towards certain subjects that aren't as emphasized on the real deal OR that the new pool of questions and the curve it has created is extremely harsh and that you don't have much room for error if you are trying to score high

not sure if I'm going to shake off this feeling for a while...

8000+ practice questions plus maturing 80% of Anking should have been enough lol

As a counterexample, my UWSA2 underpredicted by more than 15 points (and I took it a couple weeks before the real thing). Seems variable

Got my score today (new form, I'm assuming). NBMEs (25-26) underpredicted by 15-20 points for me, UWSA1 underpredicted by about 10, UWSA2 overpredicted by 1 point (aka spot on). Reddit spreadsheet and the totally not sketchy predictmystepscore.com both predicted extremely close to my actual score.

Took it today, seem like it went fine. Defiantly felt more like an NBME or free 120 than UW. Question stems were shorter than UW on average and the answer choices were more clear over all. No idea how I did lol, comlex Monday then its just a waiting game

UW 1 and 2 over predicted by 8-12 points. Totally bummed at the moment. But hopefully, I can swing for the fences with Step2. I mean it wasn't easy getting here so I know I can pull it together and do what I need to.

It's surprising how so many people are getting lower scores than predicted on the latest score drop. Surprising that it's also happening with the new batch of questions. Makes you wonder what changed. I'm an M4 who just took my step 1 last week, and my practice scores weren't the greatest, so all this is having me worried while I wait.

It's surprising how so many people are getting lower scores than predicted on the latest score drop. Surprising that it's also happening with the new batch of questions. Makes you wonder what changed. I'm an M4 who just took my step 1 last week, and my practice scores weren't the greatest, so all this is having me worried while I wait.
It does seem like a lot of people are getting lower scores, but I have heard from people who got there scores back recently that got at or above there UW1/2 scores, so I’m just hoping I’m one of those people

i almost wish I took it before the pool change or after this latest batch of releases