Official 2021 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goal weight: 250+ lbs
I've been eating a lot everyday so I think I have a chance

On a serious note, we just might be the last ones to take it pre-P/F. Let's rock.

Edit: As of today, we ARE the last ones to take it pre-P/F.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Quick question, I'm 2 weeks out, and plan on taking NBME 30 this coming Saturday, UW2 the following Wednesday, and free 120 that Friday, should I try to squeeze in NBME 28 somewhere? I've heard people are getting repeat questions on step so idk if its worth squeezing in another or just focusing on my weaknesses in other ways rather than another practice exam.

Squeeze it in

Anyone know how the CBSE relates to Step? Took it a couple of weeks ago and got in 230's. NBME 25 which I took 1-2 weeks before the CBSE I got a 220ish.

Exam in 2 weeks, hoping to do 2-3 more self-assessments. Free 120 will be in the last week. Already did NBME 25, 29, CBSE, and AMBOSS. Which others should I do? Is it worth including UWSA? Also, is UWSA covered in AnKing? If so, I might avoid it because confounding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay here I go, comlex in 30 days, step in 36...

I started dedicated with NBME 25 and got a 195, did comsae 108 two days ago and got a 528, was planning to take 4-NBME (25-28) total, 3-COMSAE’s total (106,108,109), and both uworld exams before my exams...

Should I do all the NBME exams? Any other practice tests I should add?

Exam in 2 weeks, hoping to do 2-3 more self-assessments. Free 120 will be in the last week. Already did NBME 25, 29, CBSE, and AMBOSS. Which others should I do? Is it worth including UWSA? Also, is UWSA covered in AnKing? If so, I might avoid it because confounding.
Absolutely do both UW assessments

Reactions: 1 user
Okay here I go, comlex in 30 days, step in 36...

I started dedicated with NBME 25 and got a 195, did comsae 108 two days ago and got a 528, was planning to take 4-NBME (25-28) total, 3-COMSAE’s total (106,108,109), and both uworld exams before my exams...

Should I do all the NBME exams? Any other practice tests I should add?
I only did a couple NBMEs and both UW. Make sure you get enough exams in around your target score. Note though that the NBMEs all have rough curves so even if if are 10+ points away from your target score, so long as your % correct is around what your UW average is then you should be sitting pretty

Cracked 270 on UWSA2! Name of the game for the last two weeks: avoid becoming complacent. Should I stop Anki at some point to focus more on weak areas? Taking these exams, it definitely feels like a lot of answers come straight from Anki cards. On the one hand, I'd like to retain as much Anki as possible. On the other, I'd like to hone in on weaker areas in AMBOSS on top of my 2-3 UW blocks/day. There's rarely enough time for both :(

Cracked 270 on UWSA2! Name of the game for the last two weeks: avoid becoming complacent. Should I stop Anki at some point to focus more on weak areas? Taking these exams, it definitely feels like a lot of answers come straight from Anki cards. On the one hand, I'd like to retain as much Anki as possible. On the other, I'd like to hone in on weaker areas in AMBOSS on top of my 2-3 UW blocks/day. There's rarely enough time for both :(
270 is literally insane! I'm hoping to only spend an hour or 2 on my old reviews other than my missed questions deck. I've been doing the same with amboss and its nearly impossible to do ALL of my reviews and have time for amboss and content review.

270 is literally insane! I'm hoping to only spend an hour or 2 on my old reviews other than my missed questions deck. I've been doing the same with amboss and its nearly impossible to do ALL of my reviews and have time for amboss and content review.
Thanks! I have a bimodal distribution with 3 SA's at ~250 and 2 at ~270. Time will tell which one is the fluke :unsure:

What I've been doing over the past few days is UWorld x2-3 blocks, AMBOSS, then Anki (prioritizing Step 2 overlap and UWorld incorrects first, then young cards, then mature cards) and just going to bed when I'm out of time lol. Although, my dedicated schedule has been a bit erratic lately. Looks like I might only finish between 85-95% of UWorld

Thanks! I have a bimodal distribution with 3 SA's at ~250 and 2 at ~270. Time will tell which one is the fluke :unsure:

What I've been doing over the past few days is UWorld x2-3 blocks, AMBOSS, then Anki (prioritizing Step 2 overlap and UWorld incorrects first, then young cards, then mature cards) and just going to bed when I'm out of time lol. Although, my dedicated schedule has been a bit erratic lately. Looks like I might only finish between 85-95% of UWorld
How many questions are you doing on amboss daily?

Took 29 today and somehow got a 254. I think 29 felt a lot easier than 26 and 27 at least in my opinion. Had a lot more gimme questions than the others and shorter stems as well. I also think I got really lucky on some of my guesses especially seeing that big of a jump from my last one.

Quick question, I'm 2 weeks out, and plan on taking NBME 30 this coming Saturday, UW2 the following Wednesday, and free 120 that Friday, should I try to squeeze in NBME 28 somewhere? I've heard people are getting repeat questions on step so idk if its worth squeezing in another or just focusing on my weaknesses in other ways rather than another practice exam.

Update:

NBME 30: 256 (7 days out)

Taking the free 120 on Wednesday and UWSA2 on Friday. For some reason even though the NBMEs are going well I still have super bad imposter syndrome and feel like I've been getting lucky. My Uworld scores havent been as high as I thought they would be at this point but we'll see how Wednesday and Friday goes. Either way I'm so ready to be finished studying.. even though I have to cram all of OMM the following week.

Anywhere from like 5-40, probably closer to 10-20. Yesterday I picked “vasculitis” and did their 12 questions on that topic.
yeah something I've been doing is Amboss for my weak organ systems In the morning on tutor mode before diving into UWorld. Def think it is helping!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fairly certain that UWorld saved its hardest problems for last. Also, I don't think its entirely random... too many commonalities between questions within blocks to be coincidence, imo. For instance, two type III antiarrhythmic questions in one block. Another with two childhood exanthem questions. Am I connecting imaginary dots?

I'm fairly certain that UWorld saved its hardest problems for last. Also, I don't think its entirely random... too many commonalities between questions within blocks to be coincidence, imo. For instance, two type III antiarrhythmic questions in one block. Another with two childhood exanthem questions. Am I connecting imaginary dots?
It's quite possible you are seeing a pattern in totally random noise. Our brains are hardwired to laser in on the patterns and ignore all of the stuff that seems random. In a truly random sample of consecutive question sets, there are bound to be commonalities by chance alone.

It's also possible that there is a more sophisticated algorithm going on in the background 🤷‍♀️

It's quite possible you are seeing a pattern in totally random noise. Our brains are hardwired to laser in on the patterns and ignore all of the stuff that seems random. In a truly random sample of consecutive question sets, there are bound to be commonalities by chance alone.

It's also possible that there is a more sophisticated algorithm going on in the background 🤷‍♀️
Wouldn't be surprised if I'm imagining things. Easy to get lost in dedicated!

I think I'm hitting some burnout. After 120 questions + reviews, can hardly bring myself to open Anki!
I can’t do more than 80 with reviews and have time for Anki too. I plan to up to 120 tomorrow but I’m not sure how I’m going to fit that into my day.. plus I just got rocked by a dumb COMSAE today and now I’m mad and haven’t studied a minute since I submitted my exam at 12... Im really over feeling constantly judged by a freaking score on a computer screen...

I can’t do more than 80 with reviews and have time for Anki too. I plan to up to 120 tomorrow but I’m not sure how I’m going to fit that into my day.. plus I just got rocked by a dumb COMSAE today and now I’m mad and haven’t studied a minute since I submitted my exam at 12... Im really over feeling constantly judged by a freaking score on a computer screen...
It really sucks. I can't imagine having to take COMLEX and Step, especially after hearing their reputation for question quality. The way I've rationalized missing a lot of Anki lately: UWorld questions are reinforcing our long-term retention and giving us better practice for the exam. Two birds, one stone.

My school made us take a COMSAE and a combank level 1 assessment back to back, so we could “simulate the real exam.” 8 hours of comlex questions is not fun

My school made us take a COMSAE and a combank level 1 assessment back to back, so we could “simulate the real exam.” 8 hours of comlex questions is not fun
We had to take a Kaplan 8 hour exam two weeks ago... that was better than this comsae!

How long does UWorld take everyone? Doing three blocks/day, I'm wrapping up around 5 pm or later after reviews

last 5 UW blocks

85, 75, 65, 55, 75

I'm either gonna get a 250+ on this test or a 220 lmaoooo

Reactions: 2 users
How long does UWorld take everyone? Doing three blocks/day, I'm wrapping up around 5 pm or later after reviews
I would start around 7-8 in the morning and do and review my three block by 11-1 in the afternoon. Then it’s time for other things like first aid/ BB. I was only doing 80 per day but then moved my date up two weeks to the 17th of may and switched to 3. So glad I moved it up

I would start around 7-8 in the morning and do and review my three block by 11-1 in the afternoon. Then it’s time for other things like first aid/ BB. I was only doing 80 per day but then moved my date up two weeks to the 17th of may and switched to 3. So glad I moved it up
I must be burning out. There's no reason for UWorld to drag out so long for me. Only 9 days left, thankfully.

Hey y’all!

With the newest NBMEs, does anyone know how predictive the website predictmystepscore calculator is? Would love to hear from people who recently tested and how close the prediction was.

Hey y’all!

With the newest NBMEs, does anyone know how predictive the website predictmystepscore calculator is? Would love to hear from people who recently tested and how close the prediction was.
Both that site and the old reddit predictor from 2019 were within 3 and 4 points respectively of my score so very accurate

Anyone find a good way to remember the second-line lipid lowering medications? The dyslipidemia sketchy vids were terrible for me.

Anyone find a good way to remember the second-line lipid lowering medications? The dyslipidemia sketchy vids were terrible for me.
Generally how I tackled those topics was the info given in the vignette. If the triglycerides are high then you know it's gonna be a fibrate. If they have contraindications to certain meds due to muscle myopathy then that narrows it down. I can't remember a single question through all practice Qs that asked me to discern between 2nd line treatments for dyslipidemia that didn't have something in the vignette that either excluded a given answer choice or a tidbit that helped rule in only a single answer

Should be concerned that I'm getting mid 60's on some UW blocks with my exam coming up?

I have an overall of 69% right now but it still fluctuates a lot even at this stage lmao, goal is 240+ if that helps

Should be concerned that I'm getting mid 60's on some UW blocks with my exam coming up?

I have an overall of 69% right now but it still fluctuates a lot even at this stage lmao, goal is 240+ if that helps
Checkout the online score predictors

Doesn't matter too much imo, I had the same thing happen. Do your best to get into a calm headspace leading up to your test.

When you guys say uworld%.... is that your whole bank running average or an average of the last 10 blocks of questions?

Alright took UW2 today and got a 256. Started off strong but had a bad third block. Those researcher questions give me a headache.

Do you guys recommend any videos to watch over the weekend? Test is on Monday and I've started pathoma 1-3 but idk if I'll finish it all. Heard some people recommend Dirty Medicine Ethics so I might watch that as well.

Reactions: 2 users
says I'm currently at a 242...not bad
That's solid, expect to be within 237 - 247 on test day
Alright took UW2 today and got a 256. Started off strong but had a bad third block. Those researcher questions give me a headache.

Do you guys recommend any videos to watch over the weekend? Test is on Monday and I've started pathoma 1-3 but idk if I'll finish it all. Heard some people recommend Dirty Medicine Ethics so I might watch that as well.
I crammed those pathoma chapters + some weak points on b&b + a handful of Dirty and that was it

What are your NBME practice scores? They should tell you if you should be concerned.

What are your NBME practice scores? They should tell you if you should be concerned.
NBME 25 was a 215 that was taken like 5 weeks ago
CBSE (which I guess counts as a NBME?) was a 234 taken 2.5 weeks ago
Haven't had time for anymore since I'm trying to finish up UWorld

NBME 25 was a 215 that was taken like 5 weeks ago
CBSE (which I guess counts as a NBME?) was a 234 taken 2.5 weeks ago
Haven't had time for anymore since I'm trying to finish up UWorld
The most predictive test scores for me were UW2 and NBME 30