UIW Feik SOP and TAMHSC Kingsville Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBubbleZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For anyone who is currently enrolled in either of the pharmacy programs at the University of the Incarnate Word or Texas A&M Kingsville:
1. Why did you decide on the school you did?
2. How do you like it now?
3. What are some good and bad things about the school you attend?

I am now deciding between these two schools and could use some student opinions and views of the each school.

Thanks! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

For anyone who is currently enrolled in either of the pharmacy programs at the University of the Incarnate Word or Texas A&M Kingsville:

I am now deciding between these two schools and could use some student opinions and views of the each school.

:hijacked: Is Feik pronounces FAKE? If it is, that's funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: no one goes to UIW or TAMHSC????

Hi everyone,

I interviewed at both schools, but have only been accepted to UIW. Do you know which school you will attend yet?

try asking in the pharmacy section and not pre-pharm?
Maybe the current students just don't read the pre-pharm forums. There is only one class at each school, so there's probably only around 70 people from each school that can answer your question.

try asking in the pharmacy section and not pre-pharm?
Maybe the current students just don't read the pre-pharm forums. There is only one class at each school, so there's probably only around 70 people from each school that can answer your question.

Yea, it was posted on the pharmacy section first, and no one replied there so re-posted here.:laugh:

I interviewed at both schools, but have only been accepted to UIW. Do you know which school you will attend yet?

Going to UIW. Will you be accepting UIW's offer too?

Sorry I couldn't tell you more about Texas A&M HSC ILR COP...whew! LoL
We've been very busy since we got back from Spring Break, so that's why no one has been able to respond quickly. With finals week, oops I mean, "End-of-Semester assessments" week, it's very unlikely to get any other response from my fellow classmates. But, there are some that posts here.

Anyway, to make a VERY long story short, ILR COP has been a GREAT school for a fledgeling program. We've impressed alot of the higher-ups, so they must be doing something right.

Back to studying for me...good luck at UIW!

Sorry I couldn't tell you more about Texas A&M HSC ILR COP...whew! LoL
We've been very busy since we got back from Spring Break, so that's why no one has been able to respond quickly. With finals week, oops I mean, "End-of-Semester assessments" week, it's very unlikely to get any other response from my fellow classmates. But, there are some that posts here.

Anyway, to make a VERY long story short, ILR COP has been a GREAT school for a fledgeling program. We've impressed alot of the higher-ups, so they must be doing something right.

Back to studying for me...good luck at UIW!

that's totally understandable. i was just hoping for a little feedback from current students, but in the end since i didn't get many replies it was time to make a choice on my own. hopefully things go well with UIW.

any tips for a new pharmacy student??

goodluck with the "end of semester assessments"! :)

Going to UIW. Will you be accepting UIW's offer too?

I just got accepted to TSU as well so I have not decided yet. After this week's finals, I will have to do some research on both schools and weigh my options.

Can you tell me why you chose UIW? What stood out for UIW over TAMUK?

For UIW, I like the way the classes are structured. The semester is broken down into halves. You have 3 courses for half the semester and another 3 courses the second half.

I just got accepted to TSU as well so I have not decided yet. After this week's finals, I will have to do some research on both schools and weigh my options.

Can you tell me why you chose UIW? What stood out for UIW over TAMUK?

For UIW, I like the way the classes are structured. The semester is broken down into halves. You have 3 courses for half the semester and another 3 courses the second half.

Between the two schools, since neither is accreditted yet it is hard to tell which will be a better school. So I had to base my decision on other factors. I like how UIW is organized. For example, they replied to my messages quickly, and the dean has opened a Rx School before. The faculty and staff seem more helpful and student oriented than TAMUK seemed.

Goodluck with your decision and finals week. If you end up going to UIW let me know, we can start build our study group! :laugh:

One disadvantage to UIW is that it's very expensive...A LOT more expensive than TAMUK... But like you said, UIW is organized, the staff is friendly, and the dean is experienced.. :) I'll be going there in the fall too, so we'll be bumping into each other soon.

Have you paid your deposit yet? I've paid mine...but haven't heard an update from UIW. I'm guessing the next step is the drug testing?

Between the two schools, since neither is accreditted yet it is hard to tell which will be a better school. So I had to base my decision on other factors. I like how UIW is organized. For example, they replied to my messages quickly, and the dean has opened a Rx School before. The faculty and staff seem more helpful and student oriented than TAMUK seemed.

Goodluck with your decision and finals week. If you end up going to UIW let me know, we can start build our study group! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
One disadvantage to UIW is that it's very expensive...A LOT more expensive than TAMUK... But like you said, UIW is organized, the staff is friendly, and the dean is experienced.. :) I'll be going there in the fall too, so we'll be bumping into each other soon.

Have you paid your deposit yet? I've paid mine...but haven't heard an update from UIW. I'm guessing the next step is the drug testing?

I've paid my deposit. I've got some classes to finish this summer and then there'll be orientation. Dr. Coleman told me that we should receive some correspondence from them sometime in June.

I have some summer classes to take as well... On the prereq. checklist, it says "Physics I".. Does that mean any type of physics is accepted? The transcript eval. spreadsheet says calculus-based, but everything else doesn't state whether it has to be or not.. Also, if you don't mind, do you think your GPA will improve, stay the same, or drop after this semester? I'm pretty sure mine will go down a little...I hope they don't take back their acceptance offer from me!

I've paid my deposit. I've got some classes to finish this summer and then there'll be orientation. Dr. Coleman told me that we should receive some correspondence from them sometime in June.

I have some summer classes to take as well... On the prereq. checklist, it says "Physics I".. Does that mean any type of physics is accepted? The transcript eval. spreadsheet says calculus-based, but everything else doesn't state whether it has to be or not.. Also, if you don't mind, do you think your GPA will improve, stay the same, or drop after this semester? I'm pretty sure mine will go down a little...I hope they don't take back their acceptance offer from me!

Dr. Coleman said that all we needed were C's in the classes for the summer. Mine will drop some after this semester. :( I asked if it matter if our GPA dropped, and she said just to make C's or higher. I'm not sure about your physics question, I would assume it's just the general physics 1 or the engineering physics...you might want to check with Dr. Coleman.

Hey have you already made living arrangements? And what about staying in SA during orientation? Do we have to take care of that ourselves or will the Feik SOP make all the arrangements for us? Any idea?

I've already sent in an application for on-campus housing around late last month for a spot in the brand new dorm building (Hillside) that's opening up this fall.. Hopefully they still have spaces in that building...because if not, I'm going to just get an apartment. The other buildings are pretty old and the fairly new building, ICC2, has only COMMUNITY BATHS! :eek:

You can go here http://www.uiw.edu/housing/house.html and follow the steps if you want to live on campus.
You might want to hurry though! Spots fill up fast in certain buildings according to the housing coordinator..

I have no idea about accommodation during orientation.. They'll most likely give us info on that later, but I'm assuming we will need to provide our own accommodations.. Since the orientation is in mid-August, we will probably have settled in San Antonio by then.

Also, which physics class have you taken? I've already taken general physics I, but I'm going to go ahead and take the engineering one in the summer since I've already spent money on the textbook..

Dr. Coleman said that all we needed were C's in the classes for the summer. Mine will drop some after this semester. :( I asked if it matter if our GPA dropped, and she said just to make C's or higher. I'm not sure about your physics question, I would assume it's just the general physics 1 or the engineering physics...you might want to check with Dr. Coleman.

Hey have you already made living arrangements? And what about staying in SA during orientation? Do we have to take care of that ourselves or will the Feik SOP make all the arrangements for us? Any idea?

Yeah, I applied for the new dorms too. Are they supposed to let us know soon whether or not they have room?? I heard the Hillside dorms were gonna be nice..community baths...ewww LOL

I took engineering physics 1 and 2, but personally, I'm not a big physics fan. So physics 2 was not fun for me. physics 1 was pretty much a review from high school physics. I would say don't waste your time taking it if you've already met the requirements...hehehee

Is physics the only pre-req you have left to take care of? I've still got art and A&P 2.

I've already sent in an application for on-campus housing around late last month for a spot in the brand new dorm building (Hillside) that's opening up this fall.. Hopefully they still have spaces in that building...because if not, I'm going to just get an apartment. The other buildings are pretty old and the fairly new building, ICC2, has only COMMUNITY BATHS! :eek:

You can go here http://www.uiw.edu/housing/house.html and follow the steps if you want to live on campus.
You might want to hurry though! Spots fill up fast in certain buildings according to the housing coordinator..

I have no idea about accommodation during orientation.. They'll most likely give us info on that later, but I'm assuming we will need to provide our own accommodations.. Since the orientation is in mid-August, we will probably have settled in San Antonio by then.

Also, which physics class have you taken? I've already taken general physics I, but I'm going to go ahead and take the engineering one in the summer since I've already spent money on the textbook..

Did you apply before May 1st? I know my application/check got to UIW before May 1st since I used certified mail, but they haven't cashed my check yet! I don't know if they even opened my letter.. I'm really worried I'll be put in the disgusting dorms...lol. :scared: I even e-mailed the housing dept. if there are still spaces left, and they wouldn't tell me "yes" or "no"!!! Someone just replied and said to turn it in ASAP because spaces are limited. :mad: But yeah, the website says we should know in early June if we applied before May 1st.

I have physics and....p.e. hahaha. Are you from the Dallas area?

Yeah, I applied for the new dorms too. Are they supposed to let us know soon whether or not they have room?? I heard the Hillside dorms were gonna be nice..community baths...ewww LOL

I took engineering physics 1 and 2, but personally, I'm not a big physics fan. So physics 2 was not fun for me. physics 1 was pretty much a review from high school physics. I would say don't waste your time taking it if you've already met the requirements...hehehee

Is physics the only pre-req you have left to take care of? I've still got art and A&P 2.

Did you apply before May 1st? I know my application/check got to UIW before May 1st since I used certified mail, but they haven't cashed my check yet! I don't know if they even opened my letter.. I'm really worried I'll be put in the disgusting dorms...lol. :scared: I even e-mailed the housing dept. if there are still spaces left, and they wouldn't tell me "yes" or "no"!!! Someone just replied and said to turn it in ASAP because spaces are limited. :mad: But yeah, the website says we should know in early June if we applied before May 1st.

I have physics and....p.e. hahaha. Are you from the Dallas area?

Yeah I applied before May 1st. I haven't check to see if they have cashed my checks. I really hope I don't get put in gross dorms either.

I'm from the Austin area. You're from the Dallas area?

Yup..Arlington to be specific. Are you at UT Austin? I was about to go to UT Austin 2 years ago but ended up living at home..

Btw, have you asked about financial aid? They don't respond to my e-mails... So I guess I will call them next week.. I've already applied for FAFSA--do you know if we need to fill out any additional forms?

Yeah I applied before May 1st. I haven't check to see if they have cashed my checks. I really hope I don't get put in gross dorms either.

I'm from the Austin area. You're from the Dallas area?

Yup..Arlington to be specific. Are you at UT Austin? I was about to go to UT Austin 2 years ago but ended up living at home..

Btw, have you asked about financial aid? They don't respond to my e-mails... So I guess I will call them next week.. I've already applied for FAFSA--do you know if we need to fill out any additional forms?

Yeah, I go to UT. Which school are you at and why did you decide to live at home?

I filled out FAFSA too, the UIW financial aid office is supposed to mail us financial award letters..but the lady at the financial office said that could take up to 6 weeks. But when I spoke with Ms. Hernandez she said that once they have finalized the acceptance list for the Fall the financial office will be notified and then they will let students know how much we get. So I'm not sure what's gonna happen with that. If you find out anymore info please let me know.

I'm at UT Arlington.. My parents wanted me to stay at home (control freaks!)..and it's a lot cheaper since I don't have to pay for housing.. I remember Dobie was going to be about $10,000!

I might go to San Antonio next month just to look around and be familiar with the place... And if I don't hear from the housing dept. before that, I'm going to look for an apartment just in case. What was your 2nd choice dorm? I wrote a 2nd choice down because pretty much if your 1st choice is unavailable, they just pick a random dorm for you lol.

Yeah, I'll be calling them next week, so I'll post an update about fin. aid when I get some info. :)

Yeah, I go to UT. Which school are you at and why did you decide to live at home?

I filled out FAFSA too, the UIW financial aid office is supposed to mail us financial award letters..but the lady at the financial office said that could take up to 6 weeks. But when I spoke with Ms. Hernandez she said that once they have finalized the acceptance list for the Fall the financial office will be notified and then they will let students know how much we get. So I'm not sure what's gonna happen with that. If you find out anymore info please let me know.

I'm at UT Arlington.. My parents wanted me to stay at home (control freaks!)..and it's a lot cheaper since I don't have to pay for housing.. I remember Dobie was going to be about $10,000!

I might go to San Antonio next month just to look around and be familiar with the place... And if I don't hear from the housing dept. before that, I'm going to look for an apartment just in case. What was your 2nd choice dorm? I wrote a 2nd choice down because pretty much if your 1st choice is unavailable, they just pick a random dorm for you lol.

Yeah, I'll be calling them next week, so I'll post an update about fin. aid when I get some info. :)

I wasn't thinking and didn't put down a 2nd choice dorm...hopefully they don't fill up because then I'm in trouble. What was your 2nd choice? I hear the ICC2 was the next newest dorm. But community baths are a nooo!

Control freak parents fit the description for Asian parents. Are you Asian?

ICC2 is my 2nd choice...but I REALLY don't want that one b/c of the community baths!!! So for me, it's either Hillside or an apartment... But I doubt my parents will agree to an apartment though.. And yes, I'm Asian! I'm guessing you are too? I think my parents are the craziest of them all.. :laugh:

I wasn't thinking and didn't put down a 2nd choice dorm...hopefully they don't fill up because then I'm in trouble. What was your 2nd choice? I hear the ICC2 was the next newest dorm. But community baths are a nooo!

Control freak parents fit the description for Asian parents. Are you Asian?

ICC2 is my 2nd choice...but I REALLY don't want that one b/c of the community baths!!! So for me, it's either Hillside or an apartment... But I doubt my parents will agree to an apartment though.. And yes, I'm Asian! I'm guessing you are too? I think my parents are the craziest of them all.. :laugh:

Yup, I'm Asian too. I think every Asian kid swears their parents are the craziest. At some point they will have to learn to let go. Hopefully they won't be driving down every weekend to visit you when you start at UIW. Hope my parents don't waste their time doing that either....:laugh:

Yup, I'm Asian too. I think every Asian kid swears their parents are the craziest. At some point they will have to learn to let go. Hopefully they won't be driving down every weekend to visit you when you start at UIW. Hope my parents don't waste their time doing that either....:laugh:

Your parents are going to go down to SA ALL the time. Should've gone to A&M because your parents hate me and would never visit you knowing that I'm nearby. :cool:

Community baths aren't THAT bad. I doubt that you'd have to clean it. I think that the dorm bathrooms are much cleaner than the bathrooms at peoples' apartments that I've seen.

Your parents are going to go down to SA ALL the time. Should've gone to A&M because your parents hate me and would never visit you knowing that I'm nearby. :cool:

Community baths aren't THAT bad. I doubt that you'd have to clean it. I think that the dorm bathrooms are much cleaner than the bathrooms at peoples' apartments that I've seen.

community bath's give you diseases..ewwww

wassup guys...

i got accepted into UIW too...

Im from Houston by the way...

how did you guys go about applying for on-campus housing?

hey congrats to you. where you on the waitlist before getting accepted or did you get a first-round acceptance letter?

for on-campus housing, i applied online with the housing dept at UIW.

wassup guys...

i got accepted into UIW too...

Im from Houston by the way...

how did you guys go about applying for on-campus housing?

first round acceptance letter...why?

random question by the way...would you go to Xavier or UIW, RxBubbleZ?

first round acceptance letter...why?

just curious. got some friends still on the waitlist, so wondering if anyone who had been waitlisted for UIW heard anything yet.

random question by the way...would you go to Xavier or UIW, RxBubbleZ?

I am going to UIW next year....lol.....but I don't know that much about Xavier...only looked at in state pharm schools and some in Arizona bc I have friends of the family there.

Congrats on all you getting accepted!:thumbup: You will not be disappointed with UIW of FSOP. I love our campus, it really feels like home. Our dean is simply amazing. We not only have pre-candidate status, but we will have candidate status this summer for sure.

I had the opportunity, along with 9 other students, to meet with ACPE when they made their site visit. They were impressed with us. The official report has not been released, but we were outstanding in all areas!!

We have 17 faculty members and 5 staff(advisors, IT, etc.) Just before the end of this semester we met two additional facluty members. If you read their bio's most are well accomplished. We really have been blessed. Overall, the faculty is really caring and provides adequate opportunity for students to be successful.(it's not easy though:D ) We cant wait to move into the new building, it will be awesome!!! Im typing fast because im just about to step out for awhile. I will be more than happy to answer your questions. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!:D

Thanks alot Pharmcdc...

I appreciate your time in elaborating on UIW...

When I came for my interview I really did like the campus and the vibe that it gave me...It was a nice, beautiful campus...and the professors and faculty were really warm and welcoming...

My parents are Catholic and they really want me to go to that school...I am a person of deep, Christian faith as well...I dont necessarily consider myself Catholic anymore but I believe in Christ...anyways...I noticed your quote from Romans...

How was your first year man?...Do you feel that even it was a new and fresh program that it was organized and challenging enough for you?...By the way, is there a rec center or a gym on UIW...

Thanks alot Pharmcdc...I am set on UIW...I just want to make sure that it gets accredited...If you hear news on that can you do me a big favor and inform this forum?...

Thanks alot Pharmcdc...

I appreciate your time in elaborating on UIW...

When I came for my interview I really did like the campus and the vibe that it gave me...It was a nice, beautiful campus...and the professors and faculty were really warm and welcoming...

My parents are Catholic and they really want me to go to that school...I am a person of deep, Christian faith as well...I dont necessarily consider myself Catholic anymore but I believe in Christ...anyways...I noticed your quote from Romans...

Its always great to meet a person of faith. I am not catholic either. The good thing about our school is that catholosism is not forced on anyone, however, with being a catholic school we have the freedom to pray if we want as some proffessors do before each class. There are some students who are atheists, and thats fine. Again, we have freedom of choice, while at a state school, well potential issues you know....

[QUOTE How was your first year man?...Do you feel that even it was a new and fresh program that it was organized and challenging enough for you?...By the way, is there a rec center or a gym on UIW... [/QUOTE]

The first year was great! Yes it was very challenging, mostly pharmaceutics! lol. I would say it is the pace of everything that takes some getting use to. I took 15 hrs in a semester before, but undergrad cannot compare because there is always something to study for everyday. There is at least a quiz in one if not more of your classes everyday.

Yes there is a gym, tennis courts, indoor pool etc. Although we are small, we offer everything a large University would within reason. WE ARE GETTING A FOOTBALL TEAM, Woo hoo!!!!!

Thanks alot Pharmcdc...I am set on UIW...I just want to make sure that it gets accredited...If you hear news on that can you do me a big favor and inform this forum?...

Well, as with ANY Pharmacy school, we wont be fully accredited until our first class graduates. Like I stated earlier, we will have candidate status for sure, ACPE has already visited us for that, and we had glowing reviews. Once we have candidate status we can sit for our boards. The school does not try to hide anything from us. Our dean, you should read her bio, started the pharmacy school at Hampton and she implemented the pharmd program at Florida A&M. The school was very organised, I cant say that we did not have our challenges, especially being in a satelite location. We had technology issues. As soon as this happened our dean hired a full time IT person which made things easier. Once we move into the building this summer, I am sure that there will be other hurdles, but hay we are the first ones there, and I think thats cool! Look at the pictures of our building, and the sketch of our classrooms, yes that is the sketch with the three flat screens. :thumbup:

http://www.uiw.edu/pharmacy/feikphotos.html

hey pharmcdc...how do you know UIW will get candidate status for sure?...I just want to make the best decision in regards to what pharmacy school I go to that is why I am asking...

thanks again for all your time and effort in helping me with learning more about UIW's pharmacy school...you really helped me alot...

I am really impressed with the dean and her biography...she seems like a great leader and a person with vision and faith...

I heard that the men have to wear ties?...is professional attire required?...how about labtops?...

Random question...how is the general campus overall...is the library open 24 hours?...and is there on campus food services good?...many restaurant choices to choose from?

we are also required to go to an orientation in August for 3 days...what is this orientation all about?...like ceremonial type stuff?

i'm interested in UIW. I already apply and waiting for an interview. can you tell me anything about the interview or how to prepare for the next step that i need to take? how for those that got accepted to UIW can you tell me what you make on your pcat and your gpa???

hey guys, can you shed light on when you got your UIW interview invite and how much later the acceptance? thanks

hey guys, can you shed light on when you got your UIW interview invite and how much later the acceptance? thanks

Interview invite 2/24/07, acceptance 4/20/07. I know all acceptances went out the same day, and I think maybe the interview invites too.

do you know what type of question they ask in th interview?