Which to choose: UT Tyler or UIW Feik?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which to choose: UT Tyler or UIW Feik?

• UT Tyler

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • UIW Feik

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

mjj1516

Reaction score
I am considering choosing between UT Tyler College of Pharmacy or UIW Feik School of Pharmacy. I know the first still is in the precandidate status so that one con that might deter me from picking the school. However, Feik is a private school and I've heard rumors of it being a diploma mill.

Any insight if you currently go to these schools or have previously attended them would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering choosing between UT Tyler College of Pharmacy or UIW Feik School of Pharmacy. I know the first still is in the precandidate status so that one con that might deter me from picking the school. However, Feik is a private school and I've heard rumors of it being a diploma mill.

Any insight if you currently go to these schools or have previously attended them would be greatly appreciated!

I’m tempted to move this thread to the school specific section, but I’ll give you feedback other pre-pharms should consider when applying:

Two things you look for in a pharmacy program:

1) Regional Accreditation
2) Cheapest tuition cost

If your first choice is not accredited and has a risk of not becoming one: you walk away.

As for UIW here in San Antonio, I ask this:

“What do you call a pharm graduate who graduated top of their class at a top rated program vs a pharm graduate who graduated bottom of their class at the lowest ranked (yet accredited) university?” A Pharmacist.

UIW is just outside of Fort Sam Houston / Brooke Army Medical Center and I’ve been a noncommissioned Officer pharm tech assisting and given small tours to some of the students in the program. For the cost vs upbringing of that small brick-building / house (really cost alone), it is an example of a pharm mill. Mostly catholic students who already attended the private undergrad institution across from the brick-building. Yes, it’s a pharm mill.

Nonetheless, I’ve had a handful of smart on-their-feet students interested in a PGY1 at BAMC and I noticed a lot of below average students trying to hide in our pharmacy supply basement at the hospital.

If you have options, I strongly against going to a private program such as UIW with the price alone:

http://www.uiw.edu/busoff/documents/ay1920tuitionfees.pdf

If your not military offiliated, cost of living here is high as well. Yet, solely based on your two options alone, go to UIW hands down. I recommend UIW to veterans who have the GI Bill because they get top priority at the level 1 trauma center hospital out there and free education. Nonetheless, learn from these vets and your networking skills can be a blessing.

Best of luck

Did you already get an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I actually ended up interviewing at TAMU and Texas Tech with both schools offering acceptances. Regardless, thank you for the insight for my question!

Hey guys, I actually ended up interviewing at TAMU and Texas Tech with both schools offering acceptances. Regardless, thank you for the insight for my question!
Two completely different schools! Best of luck!