What are you doing this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pressmom

Third year!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this summer I am taking my final pre-req for vet school, working three jobs, and enjoying spending time with friends during my last summer in town. I might also take a couple of trips if I can afford it.

What are you doing?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to get wildlife rehabilitation internships but had no luck, so I'll probably be working at a regular clinic somewhere. It will be my first veterinary experience so I'm excited :D

I was going to work full time, but then decided that this is my last chance to be a kid.... so i am only working 3-4 days a week, going camping, visiting my hometown and family, hanging out with friends, etc. when i told the docs at my job that i want to relax this summer, they couldn't have agreed more and encouraged my having fun. i'm gonna take advantage of this summer! woooo!

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking care of 10 grizzly bears (feeding, cleaning, enrichment, training, etc.) and doing research with a veterinary cardiologist. I like petting the little cubbies! It is exhausting though...40+ hours a week starting in the wee hours of the morning.

i'm just now starting my prereqs, so i will be taking my math courses in the summer II session, shadowing a vet at a small animal/exotics clinic, volunteering with the vet at the humane society, and volunteering with a capture-spay/neuter-release organization.

and of course, stressing over planning my prereqs for the next 4 semesters (and hoping they fall in place)...:)

i'm also trying to get in touch with 3 large-animal vets to try and set up volunteer/shadow opportunities sometime in the fall or spring, but haven't received any callbacks yet.

Taking care of 10 grizzly bears (feeding, cleaning, enrichment, training, etc.) and doing research with a veterinary cardiologist. I like petting the little cubbies! It is exhausting though...40+ hours a week starting in the wee hours of the morning.

looking after bears??!!!

That is so cool!!! :thumbup:

OK, guys... remember that most vet schools give you at least 2 summers to play in. Even so... most of us take jobs to get more clinical experience, do research (NIH stipend, yay :)), or do otherwise vet-related stuff. Also, LOTS plan their weddings for the summer, too. What I am saying is, this is NOT the last summer of your life.

Have fun, and work hard. And, if you're starting in the fall, get a head start on Histo, if you have the time! JK:p

And, yeah- working with Grizzlies- way cool! And totally scary!

TTFN- J

Travelling to Australia (YAY!), working on the new house, working a little, and relaxing:) Even though I know I'll regret it come September, studying Histo isn't on my agenda;)

At the moment, I'm preparing my house for sale, trying to buy a new house, get my kids enrolled in school in Knoxville, etc. Having moved a family before, I know full well it's going to take the better part of the summer to get this house packed, so I quit my job at the veterinary clinic, and am trying to still volunteer at the wildlife refuge when I can.

A vacation would be nice, but it's not really on the financial agenda. But I am trying to spend as much time as I can with my girls doing fun stuff. Yesterday we took in the Renaissance Fair, and Thursday night is Pirates!

I'm still working in research 2 days a week, & relaxing a LOT. I'll be out of town most of July - for 2 trips (FL,NY) which ended up being almost back to back. The FL trip is ''educational'' - I'll be shadowing an Ophthalmologist the first week, and beachside the 2nd. Then school orientation starts about 10 days later (2nd Wednesday of August)!

:thumbup: to a stress-free summer!

Working and school.
I am up at 5:00am taking care of horses. Then be at school by 7:30 and then work from 2-9. That is my entire summer. What a wonderful summer!

sleeping :sleep:and doing Michigan State's Summer Program...

Members don't see this ad :)
now until june: packing ****, sitting on my arse a whole lot.
june: riding horses til i can't sit on my arse any more
july/august: hopefully getting paid for more horsey riding, and LOTS of local rock shows in central pa.
september: vet school :)

:cheers:

Trying to buy a house (which one??!!) in Kansas from 1,305 miles away...

The prospects of the cabin in the Adirondacks for a week this summer are looking, at best, slim. :(

Working full-time until, probably, the day before I leave for Kansas...? :laugh:

And.. uhm.. getting married this Friday :hardy: with the weekend in Atlantic City! (With a bigger party to follow post-DVM graduation hopefully!)

congrats cookiebear!!!! :hardy:

Congratulations, CookieBear!!! I hope your wedding is absolutely amazingl!

Travelling to Australia (YAY!), working on the new house, working a little, and relaxing:) Even though I know I'll regret it come September, studying Histo isn't on my agenda;)

ooh Australia, that should be fun!! I'm with you on the not studying. I figure I will be studying plenty in vet school, I'm not going to lose my summer!!

Congrats CookieBear!!! I wish you the best!

Congrats Cookie Bear!

Jen I may see you on the road somewhere, as I'm spending July on a roadtrip which will mostly be in Queensland and the Northern Territory!

Congrats Cookie Bear!

Jen I may see you on the road somewhere, as I'm spending July on a roadtrip which will mostly be in Queensland and the Northern Territory!

Unfortunately I'll be home by then... I'm leaving next week and will be back 3 weeks later :( I would have loved to stay longer, but my travelling companion (mom) just can't be away for longer than that.

Sounds like fun Holly! I just finished reading We of the Never Never and I want to be able to head up to into the Northern Territories and see the actual setting for that book--it was a suprisingly funny read for being written so long ago.

As for my summer it begins with working here in the states until July and paying off bills, and ends with moving to Perth. Good times either way :)

If you have time, read "Notes from a Sunburnt Country" or in Australia it is called "Down Under". The funniest Bill Bryson book I ever read, it is a very nice portrait of Australia though sometimes he does poke fun of ridiculous things. I reread it before I went to Australia last summer and it made the vacation even better knowing a little about the place before I went.

Also spent a few days in Perth at the beginning of the trip, my friend said it reminded her of San Diego climate wise but I wouldn't know (having never been to SD). Everyone was very nice and completely surprised to see me, I guess they don't get many American tourists.

I will be spending my summer working full time for a bovine vet, and working at a barn part-time. I suspect I will smell bad much of the summer, but will be too tired to care.

Congratulations Cookie Bear!

dang, I wish I could take time off like some of you!

I'm finishing my OChem class thru the end of June, working until early August, driving to Iowa, giving myself a week or so to get settled, then starting school!

Oh, but I am taking my usual summer vacation to ride my bike from SF to LA in a couple of weeks!
http://www.aidslifecycle.org/4087
:clap:

it's an awesome ride, and it may be my last for a while, so I'll be sure to make it memorable!

That's cool, flokemahe. What type of bike are you riding? My hubby and I haven't gotten beyond 30 mile rides yet, but give us time!

(a Lemond Buenos Aires, if you're curious)

His name is Zaphod : )
too bad you're not coming to ISU, I'd get you hooked on RAGBRAI!
http://www.ragbrai.org/
I started cycling while I was at ISU for my MS. Long story short, a fellow student told me how much fun RAGBRAI is, and how he'd done it with his dad most years since he was a kid.
I went home & told my SO about it, and said "wouldn't it be fun to ride one day of it?"
The next thing I knew, she signed us up for the whole week - and we didn't even have bikes!

The rest, as they say, is history. I've ridden 3 RAGBRAIs and this will be my fourth AIDS Lifecycle.

If you need any cycling tips or encouragement, drop me a line, I've helped a lot of people get hooked on cycling!

i'm already hooked on bikes...i just bought another one today!!!

both of mine are trek's.

last year i bought a trek 1200 (roadbike). but then i blew my back out (not by cycling) and now the doctor is saying "no over the handle bars."

i have missed it so much, and the recumbent bikes at the gym are getting old. so today i bought a trek 3700 (mountain bike...i don't have a picture for this one yet).

feels good to be back on a bike and outside again!

If you have time, read "Notes from a Sunburnt Country" or in Australia it is called "Down Under". The funniest Bill Bryson book I ever read, it is a very nice portrait of Australia though sometimes he does poke fun of ridiculous things. I reread it before I went to Australia last summer and it made the vacation even better knowing a little about the place before I went.

TOTALLY second this! In fact you should read ANYTHING by Bill Bryson!!! I learnt so much about Australia from Down Under, even though it is my home country. I got to meet and speak to Bill for about 10 seconds at a book signing in Melbourne. It was very exciting! :thumbup:

Sorry for the gush, I'm just such a Bryson fan :love:

I've not been to almost any of the places I am road tripping to in July so it should be very interesting.

Sounds like fun Holly! I just finished reading We of the Never Never and I want to be able to head up to into the Northern Territories and see the actual setting for that book--it was a suprisingly funny read for being written so long ago.

As for my summer it begins with working here in the states until July and paying off bills, and ends with moving to Perth. Good times either way :)

Are you starting at Murdoch in March, Nexx? Perth is a lovely place. Especially Fremantle!

TOTALLY second this! In fact you should read ANYTHING by Bill Bryson!!! I learnt so much about Australia from Down Under, even though it is my home country. I got to meet and speak to Bill for about 10 seconds at a book signing in Melbourne. It was very exciting! :thumbup:

Sorry for the gush, I'm just such a Bryson fan :love:

A Walk in the Woods is one of my all-time favorite books (coffee filters! :laugh:). But I just finished A Short History of Nearly Everything, and found it rather boring. I mean, I knew the book was about the history of science but I expected a lot more Bryson humor and a lot less dryness. I was le sad.

I Found the History one disappointing as well. Notes From a Small Country (England) and Neither Here Nor There (I think that's the european trip one) were excellent. I want to be him so bad, what a life!

If any of you are going to Katherine this summer, PM me. Katherine has the coolest hostel I have ever stayed in, and I have stayed in hundreds. People showed up and months later wonder what they are still doing there. It is was like the Shangri-la of hostels. The NT in general was laid back to the point of catatonic, but oh, the beer :)

Are you starting at Murdoch in March, Nexx? Perth is a lovely place. Especially Fremantle!

Yeah, I'm heading to Murdoch. But for August actually. Like Bubbles I received a half-year exemption from the 5 year program.

Fargeese, thanks for the extra book title ;)

Great idea guys.... I think I will re-read a few of my Bryson books, had forgotten all about them! Walk in the Woods was my favorite, but I was so disappointed that he didn't hike the AT all the way through! Sigh.... it feels like such a luxury to read a book for fun.

Besides reading fun books this summer, I'm working and studying to get my GRE quant. score up. And hiking as much as possible- I'm have a couple of 14,000 footers planned, yippee! In August I will be moving back to AZ, and goofing off for 10 days in Charleston, Savannah, and Kiawah Island. Even though I am a total desert rat, I :biglove: the ocean! And I totally love this little smiley guy, it is so cute!

While you are in Savannah, don't forget to spend a day or two out at Tybee Island (I will probably see you there)!!! It is my favorite place in the "Coastal Empire" and if you need any tips on where to eat or stay, I would be more than happy to help. Although as a native, I might be partial, but Savannah is no longer the "beautiful lady with the dirty face" as she was once coined. Ya'll have fun!!

working, working, and um, let me think..... oh yeah, working! AND eagerly awaiting my first peer-reviewed publication.

ps - congrats cookie!!

While you are in Savannah, don't forget to spend a day or two out at Tybee Island (I will probably see you there)!!! It is my favorite place in the "Coastal Empire" and if you need any tips on where to eat or stay, I would be more than happy to help. Although as a native, I might be partial, but Savannah is no longer the "beautiful lady with the dirty face" as she was once coined. Ya'll have fun!!

Hey thanks Tybee (thought your name sounded familiar, can't wait to see the island)!! The bf and I are planning about 3 days in Savannah, then we are meeting up with his folks at a rental on Kiawah (their yearly vacation for the past 25 years!) We haven't been to Savannah before (but we have both read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil), and since school has just ended I have started checking out stuff to do- so I will probably be sending you a few PM's with questions soon (advice from a local is way better than a tourist book!). We will be doing the trolley tour to start, I want to see all of the squares, and definitely Tybee Island! And I have heard rumors that the peach margaritas are good.... mmmmm!

working, working, and um, let me think..... oh yeah, working!

You and me both... It'll be a summer of working, packing, and when I have time, reading. I think I still have the last book in the Mitford series to read somewhere in the all stacks in my room :p Oh, and hoping it'll be a good cherry season in Door County this year (last year sucked so we didn't go)

I'm "studying" by watching animal planet's E-vets