residency relocation expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicineman1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can one receive a tax write off for residency relocation expenses- moving, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind explaining how you know this? Did an accountant tell you or did you find it somewhere? I'm trying to find the cite for this. Thanks! :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=253099

The question comes up every year or so.

Ultimately, it comes down to...

Residency: Real Job or Training Program?

http://www.jamesdance.com/deductions.htm[/QUOTE

The issue which is usually debated is about the deductibility of interviews, which are not deductible. The issue about moving expenses has not come up as often. The website that you cite is only a regurgitation of publication 17 from the IRS by one CPA. It doesn't say anything about an IRS regulation or ruling as to whether a position as a resident counts as a "job" or not (at least not as far as I could find).

Whether or not residents are students or employees is hotly debated and depends on the subject area. Recently, the NLRB determined that residents are employees under the National Labor Relations Act and may unionize as opposed to students, who cannot. Some hospitals have been claiming that residents are students and thus FICA need not be withheld from their stipends (courts seem to buy this argument). Unfortunately, in other areas, residents are clearly employees (e.g. for liability issues). Just because you are treated as a student in one setting, does not mean you are a student in every setting.

I simply cannot find an authoritative source for this one. I would love more information from DigableCat on the issue.

Ed

I agree on this...unless someone has clear evidence that its not considered a job...its deductible...moving expenses that is... We get paid, we pay taxes on our paycheck, we pay social security tax, fica tax, medicare tax, we fill out a W2, we contribute to our retirement plans in a 403b... i don't see where its not considered a job?

I'll try to research this topic and put it on my website.

You don't have to explain to me.

You have to explain to the IRS.

And ignorance of the tax law will not be an excuse.
Well can you explain the tax law? My dad was telling me that he should qualify even though its an educational job and he worked with the tax code. He's advised me to look at the tax code and maybe contact some accountants to see what is really the issue but you are right if you get flagged and the IRS audits you then you'll have to deal with it.

I was planning on deducting my moving expenses (starting residency many miles away). I figure if I pay taxes than it is a job. And if it is not a job could it not be an educational expense?

I plan on calling the IRS on Monday and asking. We need to be able to come up with a straight answer on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on calling the IRS on Monday and asking. We need to be able to come up with a straight answer on this.
Good luck with finding the right person. It might take you a few hrs. I'm downloading some of the guidelines and having some pubs to be sent to me.

And no offense to the articles, they are informative but do not speak of the issue at hand. Additionally, here are the details of U of Minn and tax implications (pretty null and void now) . As of now, residents pay taxes just like a regular job. Under those guidelines, they would be eligible for job moving expenses. Everything I'm reading claims you can deduct it ...

http://www.residentandstaff.com/issues/articles/2006-09_05.asp

Moving expenses
• Airfare/car rental during your apartment search ($200-$400)
• Charitable donations of items you do not bring with you ($400-$800)
• Gasoline during your move (eg, $200, including the car/van you drive for your move)
• Interviewing expenses for your new job: airfare, hotels ($100-$400)
• Moving van ($400-$600, depending on distance)

http://www.acponline.org/journals/news/feb96/taxhints.htm

Moving expenses

If you had to move more than 50 miles from your medical school to the teaching hospital, you may qualify for a deduction. You must have established a home where your medical school is located and have worked as a resident for at least 39 weeks one year after moving. You can deduct the cost of moving your household goods and personal effects to the new residence, plus the cost of travel (9 cents per mile and lodging while en route) to the new location.

This is not an itemized deduction, but a deduction from your income. As a result, this deduction will always reduce your tax.

If you have moved and have not claimed a deduction, you have three years to file for a refund. For example, claims for deductions of moving expenses in 1992 must be filed by April 15, 1996. A refund request requires filing Form 1040X.

there are two conflicting answers here...I'm going to deduct moving expenses though. Because it is this confusing, I doubt anyone will go to jail for messing up be it a mistake. But, if you don't take advantage of deductions, the government isn't going to say "hey, you forgot to deduct this, let me give you some money that you forgot!"

No one here is trying to rip off the government. People just want what they should get back right? If a resident is paying taxes for things as an employee shouldn't residents also get the same tax benefits the other people get? Just because they have an educational component in their training doesn't mean that its not a job.

If you are knowingly making the decision that isn't quite kosher because YOU believe you are right and you should get what you are owed, then it is trying to rip off the government.

I just hope when you are finally in practice, your billing and coding department are trained to use a bit more discretion however.
Ok where did AAMC and NLRB state that you can't claim moving expenses? Currently, their claims against IRS/SS aren't even recognized by the goverment as law. Educational job or not, they are still required to pay the FICA/SS etc under IRS tax law. Therefore they are NOT classified as educational jobs. Therefore they are NOT exempt from deductions. IRS code was quoted for you.

Ok, so you're going to make me sort through all the IRS code ;):

Example 3. (i) Employee E is employed by University V to provide patient care services at a teaching hospital that is an unincorporated division of V. These services are performed as part of a medical residency program in a medical specialty sponsored by V. The residency program in which E participates is accredited by the Accreditation Counsel for Graduate Medical Education. Upon completion of the program, E will receive a certificate of completion, and be eligible to sit for an examination required to be certified by a recognized organization in the medical specialty. E regularly performs services more than 40 hours per week. E's patient care services require knowledge of an advanced type in the field of medicine, and are predominantly intellectual and varied in character. Further, although E is subject to supervision, E's services require the consistent exercise of discretion and judgment regarding the treatment of patients. In addition, E receives vacation, sick leave, and paid holiday benefits; and salary deferral benefits under an arrangement described in section 403(b). E is a first-year resident, and thus is not eligible to be licensed to practice medicine under the laws of the state in which E performs services.

(ii) In this example, E is employed by V, a school, college, or university within the meaning of paragraph (c) of this section. However, because of E's hours worked, professional employee status, and employee benefits, E has the status of a career employee within the meaning of paragraph (d)(3)(ii) of this section. Thus, E's services are not incident to and for the purpose of pursuing a course of study. Accordingly, E's services are not excepted from employment under section 3121(b)(10).
Proposed amendments back in 2004

Student FICA and FUTA Exception
This final regulation provides guidance on the student services exception from Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) and Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) taxes. The final regulations provide guidance on whether an employer is considered a "school, college, or university," and whether an employee is considered a "student" for purposes of the student exception from FICA and FUTA taxes. Schools, colleged, and universities, and employers with employees who are medical residents are affected by this proposed regulation. The final regulation is applicable for services performed on or after April 1, 2005. The final regulation is issued in conjunction with Revenue Procedure 2005-11, I.R.B. 2005-2 (January 10, 2005), modifying and superseding Rev. Proc. 98-16, 1998-1 C.B. 403.
TD 9167. Published December 21, 2004.

revision in 2005 as mentioned above
The standards contained in this revenue procedure do not apply to employees who are postdoctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, medical residents, or medical interns because the services performed by these employees cannot be assumed to be incident to and for the purpose of pursuing a course of study. The employment activities of these individuals overlap with the activities arguably comprising a course of study, and thus it is not appropriate to apply the standards of this revenue procedure to these individuals.

Ok so here are 3 IRS sources stating that medical residents SPECIFICALLY are not students under tax law. So unless its been updated in the past 2 years (which I wasn't able to find any updates) no matter what AAMC/NFLB wants to think, per code in the united states I am not 'defrauding' anyone by claiming my moving expenses. As well as I have 3 years to claim all my deductions.

So for those of you interested in deducting, I would probably wait until your first full years pay since you'll have a larger income. I also just confirmed all this information with a CPA who works with physicians/residents who is out of Columbus, OH. If you'd like that source, I will send it to your privately. There are stipulations which you must confirm such as moving more than 50 miles from residence as well as you have to be at your job for almost a year (i forget how many weeks I can look it up if you'd like - I want to say 37 or 39?) in order take the deduction. You have up to 3 years of filing date to claim the deductions.

I just spent a half an hour on the phone with the IRS. They could not come up with any reason why medical residency would not be considered a job (ie no formal classes, no tuition, paid money, taxes are withheld...). I took down the guys name and reference number, so if there are any problems that I can say I called. Hope this helps.

I think moving expenses are considered "above the line" deductions...which means that you don't even need to itemize to deduct those expenses

Why not just deduct the moving expenses? The chances of getting audited are very slim. And if you do get audited, you'll soon learn the answer.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455.html

Quote:
Topic 455 - Moving Expenses

If you moved because of a change in your job location or because you started a new job, you may be able to deduct your moving expenses if your move is closely related to the start of work. To qualify for the moving expense deduction, you must meet both the distance and the time tests, unless you are a member of the armed forces and your move was due to a permanent change of station.
Please tell me what job a medical student had before starting residency?

This is your FIRST JOB. You did not CHANGE JOBS or START A NEW JOB.
You are allowed to if you start a job, its not just for changing jobs. That was clarified by the accountant I spoke with. If you want for me to find that code, I'll find it later.

I never said AAMC and NLRB said you couldn't claim moving expenses. I said they state that you are a student. And thereby, should not be able to claim moving expenses.

Reading the codes gave me headache. And it doesn't matter to me anyway, as I'm far beyond claiming med school--->residency expenses. But, if you what you found tends to support your position that you should be considered employees and therefore should be able to write off your moving expenses...then so be it.

A word of caution however in itemizing: You need to spend more than what your "standard deduction" is to make it financially feasible.
The codes I posted state that medical residents are NOT considered students. Who cares what AAMC and NLRB says? They have no input in our laws and/or tax laws. I understand why you are trying to help but if you don't have the documentation to support what you are saying I guess that is where you are losing some of us.

And these deductions are on top of the standardized deductions.

I'm doing this for residents going forward and as someone who has been through it, your input is necessary and appreciated. With that said, there is also a lot of misinformation out there which needs to be dispelled.

Right or wrong, I am deducting everything...

All my travel for this year for interviews, my two trips for away rotations, my trip to find a home, and finally my trip to move...

Had I not been seeking gainful employment (residency IS a Job, otherwise there would be NO taxes... no brainer) then I would have not incurred ANY of these exspenses... therefore, all of these will be deducted from my tax statements.. airfare, rent cars, fuel, eats, and hotels.

I'll do it, then fight it if there is an audit...

Right or wrong, I am deducting everything...

All my travel for this year for interviews, my two trips for away rotations, my trip to find a home, and finally my trip to move...

Had I not been seeking gainful employment (residency IS a Job, otherwise there would be NO taxes... no brainer) then I would have not incurred ANY of these exspenses... therefore, all of these will be deducted from my tax statements.. airfare, rent cars, fuel, eats, and hotels.

I'll do it, then fight it if there is an audit...

As I noted above, you cannot necessarily extrapolate that residents are employees in every context just because the IRS says they are for FICA purposes, it doesn't always work that way. I so agree, however, that as for the moving expenses we all have a good faith argument that they are deductible. I did it when I moved.

HOWEVER, interview expenses are clearly not deductible as residency is our first job in a new occupation. The text of the regulation and various publications (e.g. 17) leave no room for doubt.

Ed

As I noted above, you cannot necessarily extrapolate that residents are employees in every context just because the IRS says they are for FICA purposes, it doesn't always work that way. I so agree, however, that as for the moving expenses we all have a good faith argument that they are deductible. I did it when I moved.

HOWEVER, interview expenses are clearly not deductible as residency is our first job in a new occupation. The text of the regulation and various publications (e.g. 17) leave no room for doubt.

Ed

Agreed. I have been reading the tax codes too...and this is what I understand to be true as well. I need residency to start....