Prerequisites: How to do them right the first time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaolinRX

All you have is contrast
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tips on Pre-Req's

Here's a few things I know saved me from pitfalls and poor grades while doing my prerequisites (many comments have been added by others in this thread as well):

1. Know your Strengths and Weaknesses. Take the classes you know you will have more difficulty with towards the end.... ie; Anatomy has a 50% turnover rate, why gamble with those odds? Often, schools will not require that you finish ALL of the prereqs. before you apply, so a little timing & scheduling can be in your favor. And, you may be able to build stronger study habits as you progress and gear towards completing all your classes.
-You may want to consider taking Anatomy before you take Physiology, as most instructors expect students to do this and will base their curriculum accordingly (plus, it makes Physiology easier to digest).
-Don't over do it! It probably isn't a good idea to fill up on the maximum number of units/credits if you want to optimize your grade AND be prepared for pharmacy school. Take a reasonable amount and think quality over quantity.

2. Play the game and avoid teachers with big sticks. I've seen waaaay too many teachers with a stick up their bottoms to pretend like this is funny. Why a teacher won't give out ANY A's is an extreme measure of egotism and indifference...in my opinion. Now that I've vented, here's how to avoid jerks like that.....The following websites have some amazing stats that you might want to check out:

http://www.pickaprof.com

This site has a detailed list of how many A's, B's, C's, etc that a teacher issued the semester previous. The statistics are accurate as they are drawn directly from your school's records. In addition, students have left their own ratings and reviews about each teacher.

*Note; Not all schools are available on this site. So, as a back-up, try the next site.

OR

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com

-Has student reviews and ratings. Use this as a backup plan, in case you can't find your school or instructor on pickaprof.
**Note; Do NOt Abuse this and try to get an EASY A! You can find professors that will give A's to anyone, so please don't go to that teacher if you are certain that you will not learn anything from them. Don't waste your education.

3. Yes, its okay to take your pre-requisite classes at a Community College. I did it and so can you. 97% of the students from my little 'ol community college got accepted into the schools they applied to. Not bad for a junior college. (I don't have a Bachelors degree...however, many of the West Coast schools "informally" require it, and some schools may view a candidate with an average GPA holding a bachelors degree on par with someone that has a high GPA from a junior college.) Go for the associates degree, apply to pharmacy school, and then if on the slight chance you do not get in, start working towards a bachelor's degree and reapply with an even bigger resume!

4. Is it okay to drop a class?. Well, this can be a tricky question depending on the schools you plan on attending in the future....and your timing. Once you've done a little research, you'll find that pharmacy schools have a large range of preferences; for many schools it is OK to have one or two W's on your transcript (please do call/google/email someone to confirm this before doing it). At least one thing is for certain... It's much better than getting a less desirable and obvious bad grade on your transcript. If you're able to assess the situation in time, many schools have a small window of opportunity to drop a course without any academic punishment (its as if you were never there). So once you realize you have "over-scheduled" yourself into a semester you can't handle = run like hell! I had 2 W's on my record.

5. Pick "Easy A" electives. From a member of SDN: "My biggest mistake was having my councilor pick 'World Geography' for me as my freshman elective. I received a D in the class. Picking up classes like, 'Intro to Jazz' and 'Women & Film' usually satisfy your elective requirements just the same and they also boost up your GPA."

6. Get Acquainted with your future. I wish I had taken BioChem! One more time... I wish I had taken BioChem!!! More than likely you'll encounter a topic or class that is extremely challenging to you when you are finally attending pharmacy school. Knowing at least a little bit about the curriculum can be very handy, especially if you have an entire Summer semester free before P1. I attend USN and their first 3 months are all centered around Biochemistry (a fact that I knew before-hand, but did little to prepare for). Bottom line: Take Biochem if you've got the time (even if it isn't a required prereq......or any other classes, ie; Immunology, etc.)

7. Pay Attention and Sit Up Straight!.
Some basic classroom tips and suggestions that can come in handy
-Never Skip class?!? Is it true that students that attend class do better than those that skip? ...Or, is it that better students attend class? You decide. When you go, sit in the front because there are too many distractions in the back rows.
-Take copious amounts of notes! Or get to know someone else that does and "borrow" theirs. Write down every single thing the professor says. Even if it sounds like something lame, it may be something that might show up on a test.
-Hone in your mind-reading abilities and predict what your teacher wants. Try to consider doing your assignments the way your teacher would do them, take notes how your teacher would take them, and most importantly, figure out what the hell your teacher was thinking when they wrote that test question. In other words, it may not be the right method or answer, but it will get you through the class. Unfortunately, and more than likely, your curriculum wasn't necessarily developed in hopes of achieving educational enlightenment, with genuine regard to what a student actually needs.
-Get to know your lab TA. Just by knowing them might prove to help you get some points here and there.
-Try to get old exams if possible.
-Get to know the smartest people in your class, they know the answers to everything.
-I'd also suggest collecting all your notes in binders to keep long term and keep them handy. I had a great micro teacher, but the one now leaves gaping holes in the material so my notebook of information saves my butt.

8. Prioritize Your Life.. As a joke, one of the professors at the beginning of my P1 year said, "Take a photograph of your friends and family. It will be a few years until you get to see them again." Time is precious, so sacrifice what is least important in your life and make time for what is most important (not implying sacrificing the time you have for your family). Yes, you can have a social life in college. Yes, you *will* have to give up something. Don't expect to have the same amount of time to devote to friends, significant others, television, video games, sleep, and extracurriculars that you did in high school. You don't need to study all the time, but you do need to prioritize.

9. Get to know your professors. You don't want to be in a situation where you need to ask for LORs (Letters of Recommendation) and none of your professors know who you are. Even if you make an A in the class, if they don't know you; it will definitely show in the letter they write for you.

10. Be goal oriented and HUNGRY! Its easy to lose sight of where you are headed and why. Keep your focus and do everything you can to get that A, to prepare for the PCAT, and meet the deadlines for applications.
-Get all the points you can, especially on non-test items. I know this sounds simple, but I have been with fellow students who take quizzes/assignments/extra credit/etc for granted. On, say, a 10 point quiz, they won't study for it and just say "oh its just 10 points...who cares." Usually the student that does all the extra credit, never needs it. Why? Because they are greedy. They take every opportunity for success and do their best to achieve it.

11. Expect the worse, but hope for the best. I know there is more that I'd like to add to the list, but at the moment nothing relevant surfaces. Sooo, please post your ideas and suggestions here. More than likely many of you are ahead of the game and have already done these things (or variants), being as you have found this forum.

It may seem far away now, but its much more achievable than you might imagine. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
5. Get all the points you can, especially on non-test items.

I know this sounds simple, but I have been with fellow students who take quizzes/assignments/extra credit/etc for granted. On, say, a 10 point quiz, they won't study for it and just say "oh its just 10 points...who cares." But you have to realize, if you are going for the A, just a few points will bring you down to a B easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get to know your professors. You don't want to be in a situation where you need to ask for LORs and none of your professors know who you are. Even if you make an A in the class, if they don't know you it will show in the letter they write for you.

Thanks all... great advice!

Thank you for your feedback! I've also updated the list to include the recent suggestions/ideas. Great stuff! Keep 'em coming!!

added an update (speaking from hindsight, unfortunately):

8. Get Acquainted with your future. I wish I had taken BioChem!!! More than likely you'll encounter a topic or class that is extremely challenging to you when you are finally attending pharmacy school. Knowing at least a little bit about the curriculum can be very handy, especially if you have an entire Summer semester free before P1. I attend USN and their first 3 months are all centered around Biochemistry (a fact that I knew before-hand, but did little to prepare for). Bottom line: Take Biochem if you've got the time (even if it isn't a required prereq.)

Some of my pharm friends are suffering because they have not taken pchem or physiology - I think going beyond the basic pre-reqs if you can and have time is a must.:)

Start working hard at the beginning of the semester. You do *not* want to be in a position where you need to get 100% on the final to get a decent grade in the class. If you get As on the first couple exams/projects/homework sets, first of all you will be going into the home stretch with a high grade, and secondly you will impress your professor. When it comes time to grade that big lab report or project, your professor will have an image of you as an intelligent, hard worker and that can only be to your advantage. Believe me, it's a great feeling to go into finals week feeling relaxed and knowing you only need 60% on the exam (and you are already comfortable with the material because you've done well all along). Meanwhile, your classmates are freaking out and pulling all-nighters because they chose to not study for the first 10 weeks.

Sacrifice what is least important in your life, make time for what is most important. Yes, you can have a social life in college. Yes, you *will* have to give up something. Don't expect to have the same amount of time to devote to friends, significant others, television, video games, sleep, and extracurriculars that you did in high school. You don't need to study all the time, but you do need to prioritize. Personally, I need my downtime in the form of stupid TV, and I love my sleep, so I chose to not go out all the time and not be in 6 extracurriculars like I was in high school. A friend of mine is very social, so she chose to go out and drink 3 nights a week and join lots of clubs, but she doesn't even own a tv. You might decide that you really like your video games, but can get all your homework done on weekdays and only sleep 6 hours a night those nights. Whatever works for you. Just make sure homework/studying is at the top of the list!

added an update (speaking from hindsight, unfortunately):

8. Get Acquainted with your future. I wish I had taken BioChem!!! More than likely you'll encounter a topic or class that is extremely challenging to you when you are finally attending pharmacy school. Knowing at least a little bit about the curriculum can be very handy, especially if you have an entire Summer semester free before P1. I attend USN and their first 3 months are all centered around Biochemistry (a fact that I knew before-hand, but did little to prepare for). Bottom line: Take Biochem if you've got the time (even if it isn't a required prereq.)

Not only would I suggest BioChem, but Immunology and Physiology (as separate classes), at least look at the material a bit before school starts. ;)

Pack Rat!
I'd also suggest collecting all your notes in binders to keep long term and keep them handy. I had a great micro teacher, but the one now leaves gaping holes in the material so my notebook of information saves my butt. Worst case is you can use it as reference material for tutoring jobs. =D

Not only would I suggest BioChem, but Immunology and Physiology (as separate classes), at least look at the material a bit before school starts. ;)

Pack Rat!
I'd also suggest collecting all your notes in binders to keep long term and keep them handy. I had a great micro teacher, but the one now leaves gaping holes in the material so my notebook of information saves my butt. Worst case is you can use it as reference material for tutoring jobs. =D

nice! I've updated it to include yours and a few others. Keep 'em coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be afraid to drop a class. Yes, it is OK to have one or two W's on your transcript. It's better than getting a grade less desirable. What's even better is to weed out these bad classes for you in the beginning of the quarter so you could avoid getting the W, but one or two W's are no problemo.

Hope that helps :)

Don't be afraid to drop a class. Yes, it is OK to have one or two W's on your transcript. It's better than getting a grade less desirable. What's even better is to weed out these bad classes for you in the beginning of the quarter so you could avoid getting the W, but one or two W's are no problemo.

Hope that helps :)

It also helps to take some extra classes in the beginning and if you can't handle the course loads, then drop the ones that are most difficult.

For example, instead of taking 4 classes a semester and just dealing with that, try to increase the course load to 6 or even 7 classes and test out your ability to handle the increased workload for a couple of weeks, then drop accordingly. You might be surprised as to how heavy of a workload you can actually handle :thumbup: and if you can't handle a heavier workload, it's no problem, just drop the more difficult classes before the penalty date, and no harm done! :)

"Not only would I suggest BioChem, but Immunology and Physiology (as separate classes), at least look at the material a bit before school starts. ;)"

This strikes me as kind of odd that these courses aren't required! Biochem, Phys 1&2, and Micro/Immunology are all p1 courses at UB.

Start working hard at the beginning of the semester. You do *not* want to be in a position where you need to get 100% on the final to get a decent grade in the class. If you get As on the first couple exams/projects/homework sets, first of all you will be going into the home stretch with a high grade, and secondly you will impress your professor. When it comes time to grade that big lab report or project, your professor will have an image of you as an intelligent, hard worker and that can only be to your advantage. Believe me, it's a great feeling to go into finals week feeling relaxed and knowing you only need 60% on the exam (and you are already comfortable with the material because you've done well all along). Meanwhile, your classmates are freaking out and pulling all-nighters because they chose to not study for the first 10 weeks.
That was my problem, but I think I have learned from that mistake!

No matter how much you think you know the information, you need to show up to class and study for all those tests. For me, the tests I thought I knew everything on were the ones that I did horrible on.

Getting behind is also a horrible thing to do because usually everything builds on the previous things.

Research possible schools you will apply to and look and see how they rank applicants. Some schools will look at where an applicant took their pre-reqs others will not. This is something to consider before taking pre-reqs.

Good topic

It also helps to take some extra classes in the beginning and if you can't handle the course loads, then drop the ones that are most difficult.

For example, instead of taking 4 classes a semester and just dealing with that, try to increase the course load to 6 or even 7 classes and test out your ability to handle the increased workload for a couple of weeks, then drop accordingly. You might be surprised as to how heavy of a workload you can actually handle :thumbup: and if you can't handle a heavier workload, it's no problem, just drop the more difficult classes before the penalty date, and no harm done! :)

I would advise against that. First of all, it's a big waste of money - you will lose some tuition money you put down at first, plus the cost of the books you bought for classes you ended up dropping. This can translate to lots and lots of money.

Secondly, some schools *DO* have problems with Ws on the transcripts - Purdue, for one. Sure, if you have to drop a class or two it's better than an F, but I imagine more than 2 Ws is going to look kind of bad. Prereqs can be done in 2 years without taking 7 classes at a time - there's no reason to do that. Take your 5 classes each semester (or whatever it works out to be) and devote your time and effort to all of them without thinking "Oh, if this sucks I'll just drop it." That's setting yourself up for failure.

Reactions: 1 user
threads like these keep me motivated;that's why i love this forum

I would advise against that. First of all, it's a big waste of money - you will lose some tuition money you put down at first, plus the cost of the books you bought for classes you ended up dropping. This can translate to lots and lots of money.

Secondly, some schools *DO* have problems with Ws on the transcripts - Purdue, for one. Sure, if you have to drop a class or two it's better than an F, but I imagine more than 2 Ws is going to look kind of bad. Prereqs can be done in 2 years without taking 7 classes at a time - there's no reason to do that. Take your 5 classes each semester (or whatever it works out to be) and devote your time and effort to all of them without thinking "Oh, if this sucks I'll just drop it." That's setting yourself up for failure.

You forgot to mention that he/she would also be screwing all those people desperately trying to add the class - but unable to because somebody registered for it to "test the waters." This may not be a problem in private schools - but at the state school I go to - we are sick of ******* registering for a class and then dropping it two weeks into a semester. :thumbdown:
If you can't handle a class - do not register for it - it's that simple. Then you won't have to retake it 3 times.

You forgot to mention that he/she would also be screwing all those people desperately trying to add the class - but unable to because somebody registered for it to "test the waters." This may not be a problem in private schools - but at the state school I go to - we are sick of ******* registering for a class and then dropping it two weeks into a semester. :thumbdown:
If you can't handle a class - do not register for it - it's that simple. Then you won't have to retake it 3 times.

/agree, I attend a large university as well, and its pretty competitive to get into certain classes...if they're filled up by people who are just taking them as fillers or testing the waters, it makes it impossible for the rest of us to even register and then we fall a semsester behind.

That's another good point. Plus, what message are you sending the pharmacy schools? When things get tough you quit? You won't have that option in pharmacy school (well, I'm not positive how it works, but you *should* be taking classes with the rest of the students of your year, so I'm guessing withdrawing is bad) so don't let it be an option now.

Awesome topic, thank you!

Another hint is that you should never sign up for an online course if you can have the chance to have an actual class with a teacher. I chose an online PreCal class over the lecture class. I ended up dropping it because I wasn't able to handle teaching myself without the teacher's direction.

And yes...RatemyProfessor is a Godsend!

Awesome topic, thank you!

Another hint is that you should never sign up for an online course if you can have the chance to have an actual class with a teacher. I chose an online PreCal class over the lecture class. I ended up dropping it because I wasn't able to handle teaching myself without the teacher's direction.

Yeah I'd think any math or sciences would be tough to learn at home with only you and your computer.

First of all, I go to a school that counts tuition as a whole, not by how many classes you take. Secondly, there would be no penalty nor Ws on your transcript because you'd be dropping the class BEFORE the penalty period. I don't know how your school does it, but we are free to drop courses for like 6 weeks into the semester, and then after that you are only allowed a maximum of 6 credit hours for withdrawals (that would show up on your transcript as 'W'). It's testing your limits, not setting up yourself for failure. You can look at it however you want.

I took 5 classes my first semester in college, and did well, and decided to take 7 classes my second semester and still did well, and I continue to test my abilities to do well with a heavy courseload with 8 courses this semester, and this seems pretty good for me. So without trying out a heavier courseload, I would never know if I could handle it, and better utilize my time at college than those people doing 12-15 hours a semester.

I don't know what school you go to.. but general courses are usually NOT full, and are usually never full, at least at my school. Obviously you wouldn't "test the waters" for an upper division course. This is talking about pre-reqs.

I don't know what school you go to.. but general courses are usually NOT full, and are usually never full, at least at my school. Obviously you wouldn't "test the waters" for an upper division course. This is talking about pre-reqs.

I go to SF - State and pre-reqs in my school are nearly impossible to get into. I am talking about ochem, gen chem, general biology and all that pre-req stuff. I actually had to wait a year - before I could take ochem - because people kept signing up and dropping it two weeks into a semester. The problem is that after a certain date - you can't sign up for a class even if a hundred people dropped. So if 15 dropped 23rd and 20th was a deadline - those 15 people just cost other people 15 seats and potentially deferred completetion of their pre-reqs.

Also my school is not the only one like that - this is a common issue in public schools.

I go to SF - State and pre-reqs in my school are nearly impossible to get into. I am talking about ochem, gen chem, general biology and all that pre-req stuff. I actually had to wait a year - before I could take ochem - because people kept signing up and dropping it two weeks into a semester. The problem is that after a certain date - you can't sign up for a class even if a hundred people dropped. So if 15 dropped 23rd and 20th was a deadline - those 15 people just cost other people 15 seats and potentially deferred completetion of their pre-reqs.

That's a shame. I go to VT and general and lower level courses such as gen chem, ochem, and biology, if you're a science major, and it's required for your major, then you'll definitely get into the class. It sucks to not be able to get into classes. Sorry about that.

I know its not really the season for this type of thread (with all of the interviews, acceptances and rejections going on).....but, an update has been added.

upated. posted the following tip:

5. Pick "Easy A" electives. From a member of SDN: "My biggest mistake was having my councilor pick 'World Geography' for me as my freshman elective. I received a D in the class. Picking up classes like, 'Intro to Jazz' and 'Women & Film' usually satisfy your elective requirements just the same and they also boost up your GPA."

-Never Skip class. When you go, sit in the front because there are too many distractions in the back rows.
-Write down every single thing the professor says. Even if it sounds like something lame, it would show up on the test.
-Do everything the professor says. If he wants something done in a certain way, then do it in that certain way.
-Get to know your lab ta. Just by knowing them can help you get some points here and there.
-Ask questions in office hours. This shows professors that you care about what they're teaching you.
-Get to know the smartest people in your class, they know the answer to everything.

More to be added.

thanks so much to whoever started this helpful thread :luck:

5. Get all the points you can, especially on non-test items.

I know this sounds simple, but I have been with fellow students who take quizzes/assignments/extra credit/etc for granted. On, say, a 10 point quiz, they won't study for it and just say "oh its just 10 points...who cares." But you have to realize, if you are going for the A, just a few points will bring you down to a B easily.

Definitely true. I took every extra credit assignment for Immunobiology last Spring. It brought me from a D to a B.

-Never Skip class. When you go, sit in the front because there are too many distractions in the back rows.
-Write down every single thing the professor says. Even if it sounds like something lame, it would show up on the test.
-Do everything the professor says. If he wants something done in a certain way, then do it in that certain way.
-Get to know your lab ta. Just by knowing them can help you get some points here and there.
-Ask questions in office hours. This shows professors that you care about what they're teaching you.
-Get to know the smartest people in your class, they know the answer to everything.

More to be added.

added! Thanks for the suggestions!

(hope you don't mind, but I altered it slightly....as usual. hehehe)

Maybe add something about number of units per quarter/semester. It probably isn't a good idea to go max units especially with all science courses. I did that as a freshman and screwed my GPA early on.

Is p-chem important in pharm school or is it stuff that is usually covered in biochem? I thought about taking it, but decided on molecular biology instead. If p-chem is a better one to take, I will try and switch if it fits my schedule. Maybe try and rank upperdiv science courses that are often not found as pre requisites in terms of chance they will show up again in pharm school and be benficial. (biochemistry probably being up there along with introductory classes on medicinal chemistry).

Thanks you so much!!! This is going to be really helpful when the new semester starts Wednesday!:)

I will definently copy and paste this and save it.LOL

I have a question about pick a prof and rate my prof? For example, I'm supposed to be taking physics this spring since I took calc I last semester, but I've registered for genetics instead. Here's why. Only two prof teach genetics at my school: the good prof teaches during the spring and the kind of not so good prof teaches during the fall. So, if I don't take genetics right now, I'd have to take it during fall. Should I base my order of classes according to rate my prof and pick a prof? or should I just go with phys right now and take genetic next fall? oh, I'm a sophomore.

Great post!!!!!!!! You are all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a question about pick a prof and rate my prof? For example, I'm supposed to be taking physics this spring since I took calc I last semester, but I've registered for genetics instead. Here's why. Only two prof teach genetics at my school: the good prof teaches during the spring and the kind of not so good prof teaches during the fall. So, if I don't take genetics right now, I'd have to take it during fall. Should I base my order of classes according to rate my prof and pick a prof? or should I just go with phys right now and take genetic next fall? oh, I'm a sophomore.

are you taking the general physics (basic) 1 and 2 classes? or the more intense calculus based ones? I took the basic ones a while ago and haven't taken calc yet and did fine. I personally would go with your current plan, because i would rather struggle a little in phys than have a miserable time in genetics. but you also need to look at how the phys teachers in spring compares to your options next fall. having a bad phys teacher would be worse than a bad genetics teacher in my opinion.

myspace also has a professor rating section that i use in conjunction with ratemyprof. :
http://schools.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=schools.searchschools

are you taking the general physics (basic) 1 and 2 classes? or the more intense calculus based ones? I took the basic ones a while ago and haven't taken calc yet and did fine. I personally would go with your current plan, because i would rather struggle a little in phys than have a miserable time in genetics. but you also need to look at how the phys teachers in spring compares to your options next fall. having a bad phys teacher would be worse than a bad genetics teacher in my opinion.

myspace also has a professor rating section that i use in conjunction with ratemyprof. :
http://schools.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=schools.searchschools

I'm talking about calc based phys. The physics teacher next semester is an okay one. But, the one teaching right now is new to the college. This is his first semester here, so there's no record or info of him. Genetics at my college is hard, but the prof teaching right now is fair in comparison to the one teaching next fall. This means if I don't genetics this term, I would have to take it next spring. But I'm worrying that would be a bit late since at my school genetics is prequisite for cell biology, which I've heard is present on pcat.

I'm talking about calc based phys. The physics teacher next semester is an okay one. But, the one teaching right now is new to the college. This is his first semester here, so there's no record or info of him. Genetics at my college is hard, but the prof teaching right now is fair in comparison to the one teaching next fall. This means if I don't genetics this term, I would have to take it next spring. But I'm worrying that would be a bit late since at my school genetics is prequisite for cell biology, which I've heard is present on pcat.

so for spring: good genetics, new phys. fall: bad genetics, ok phys.
I would go with genetics now, phys fall, especially if calc wasn't difficult for you. This would make it easy to review during the fall semester if you have trouble. you know better than anyone with your abilities and school classes.

Awesome advice, thanks for the tips! :thumbup:

This should be a sticky thread. I was dumb enough to get a BA in English before I decided to go to pharmacy school so two years ago I had to go back to pick up pre-reqs. I did a lot of these things, many by accident, and I'm glad I did. I did community college to save money. I got great profs by accident. The thing about CC is that you get to know the professors, not the TAs, which is real nice when it comes time for LORs.

The school that was my first choice required biochem, and I think I will be glad that I have it. I think more schools are requiring this anyway, but it is not at all a bad thing to have for those that don't. Looks good on the app, too.

OK, number 7 seems obvious to me, but seriously! You're going to be in a much harder program soon, and you need the practice. GO TO CLASS. EVERY DAY. I missed a few, but only when circumstances absolutely demanded it. I didn't skip a single science class just because I didn't want to go. If you're having a baby, by all means, but talk to the instructor *before* you miss. That leaves a great impression.

It may seem far away now, but its much more achievable than you might imagine. Good luck!

True! It seems like just yesterday I started all this science crap. Now I'm 122 days from starting my Pharm.D.!

This is a really great thread!

I think this is also important:

If a professor goes an extra mile to help you in a course like, giving an exam review or spending extra time after class to explain things you don't understand, make sure to send the professor an email, thanking them and letting them know how much it helped you. Next time, the professor will be more willing and happy to help.