You Know You Are A Neurotic Premed When...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techmed07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.You start a "You Know You Are A Neurotic Premed When..." Thread

Members don't see this ad.

You spend more time on SDN then you do studying.

...when you application spreadsheet neurosis makes it's way into other parts of your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
when introduced to someone at a party, you ask them their stats.

when it hurts to urinate :eek:

when a single day won't go by without you consciously or unconsciously thinking of medical school:laugh:

When you had been thinking since last night about creating a list/thread called "Top ways you know you're a neurotic pre-med..."

Then you sign into SDN and see somebody else just did the same thing.

Techmed07, I just DIED when I saw the thread.. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You've attempted to calculate your chances of getting in several times, hoping it will change in your favor.

Withdrawal symptoms start aproximately 10 minutes after you walk away from e-mail/SDN:idea:

Some kid in one of my classes said about his 92 on a test: "Yeah, it's OK, but it doesn't really give my grade that big bump-up I was looking for" (this was our first test too).

Wanted to slap the guy. Nothing in the world worse than that kind-of false modesty and subtle bragging. And people like that wonder why everybody hates them.

So yeah, don't do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You get a 100 on a test and you're mad at yourself because someone else in the class got a 102.

Reactions: 1 user
You've attempted to calculate your chances of getting in several times, hoping it will change in your favor.

Reminds me of what I do ..... opening and closing the fridge door 10 times an hour, hoping food mysteriously appears in there.

... you know more people on SDN than in your real life. :D

You repeat a class in which you earned an A hoping to get an A+

You make your friends wait an extra twenty minutes for you at Happy Hour on Friday after work so you can go home and check your email, knowing you won't have any fun at all otherwise.

You sit in lab or volunteer area wondering if happy hour is a real event.

All daydreaming about your next date or the weekend has been replaced by daydreams about interviews and what you will wear/say/bring...etc.

You've bought a blackberry phone just so you can take your email with you all day, all the time, no matter where you go!

...someone asks for your phone number and you give them your AMCAS ID number instead.

(really happened BTW)

I remember when I was younger I'd also make bets on insane basketball shots.

"If I make this, med school is in the future!!!"

Now that I look back, I wish I could have asked for a car. I want a car!

You get a 100 on a test and you're mad at yourself because someone else in the class got a 102.

LOVE it!

You get the only A in the class on a test, but you're upset because it's just an A and not an A+. You silently begin thinking "A's won't get me into med school... I need A+'s. I need perfection!"

You start studying for MCAT in your freshmen year of college.

You hit refresh on the "You Know You Are A Neurotic Premed When..." thread as often as you've been checking your email for interview invites.

...when you're actually concerned about having a 4.0 because of fear that adcoms will think your grades are inflated or that you had no life outside of school...

When you list SDN as a hobby in your AMCAS application.

Side thought: Once we get into Medical School, and this craze is over, I'm sure I'll suffer from SDN withdrawl. Although I'm grateful for the medical students that post here, I think they must have never gotten over the addiction. We should have an SDN anonymous program.

you start losing all of your friends because all you ever think about are applications anymore, and you have to mentally stop yourself and make an effort to focus on the other person in the conversation.

When you prefer weekdays to weekends only because you know that the email you've been waiting for won't be send on a weekend!

When you prefer weekdays to weekends only because you know that the email you've been waiting for won't be send on a weekend!

Wow, that is so true! how sad

LOVE it!

You get the only A in the class on a test, but you're upset because it's just an A and not an A+. You silently begin thinking "A's won't get me into med school... I need A+'s. I need perfection!"

Guilty

When you had been thinking since last night about creating a list/thread called "Top ways you know you're a neurotic pre-med..."

Then you sign into SDN and see somebody else just did the same thing.

Techmed07, I just DIED when I saw the thread.. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

HAHA beat you to it!:laugh:

you know you're a neurotic premed when....

you read mdapplicant profiles like you're getting tested on them............:eek:

or...when you spend time posting on threads like this.....kidding its a fun thread:)

I realized I was a neurotic pre-med when my compulsive need to check emails and SDN prompted me to sign up for a wireless data plan so I could do it on my phone.

Originally Posted by pakbabydoll
You start studying for MCAT in your freshmen year of college.

you take the mcat in your freshmen year of college... and do well

When you've already been accepted and you still make phone calls just to make sure they still want you two weeks later

When you start writing your residency personal statement in jr. high school.

When you think sleeping is a waste of time.

when you program your gmail account to forward any e-mails to your cell phone that come from a domain ending in ".edu" (somebody on here posted a thread about that... :eek:)