What to do while taking a year off...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lily123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in May and now I have less than a year until I go to dental school next year. I applied to many job positions (lab technician, research, dental related, etc.) but found out that it is really hard to get one since I only have a year at most.

So right now, I am awaiting to hear back from a couple job interviews but mostly I spend time doing whatever I wanted to do but couldn't do when I was in school (i.e. reading good books, working out, AND checking my email & AADSAS status obsessively). Now I am worried how schools will look at this. I feel like adcoms will ask me at the interview what I did while taking a year off but would this look bad if I didn't have a job? What about jobs that are not really related to dentistry? Should I look for any dental volunteering or part time jobs? Although I am still looking for a job, these days I feel like I am not spending my time wisely and I could do something that would better prepare me for dental school. I might be taking a few classes next semester depending on the schools that will invite me for interview.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! This sounds exactly like me, I thought it would be easy to find a job related to dentistry but I was totally wrong. So right now, I will settle for any job. I don't know what I will say to the adcom. =/

Most schools want you to remain academically active. They don't care about your getting a dental related job as much as they want you to stay in an academic mindset and take a couple classes at the minimum. So maybe take Biochem or Histo. You can never have enough Biochem and Histo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in the EXACT same boat... I was originally planning on taking classes in the fall, but what happened was that since I graduated in May, the University didnt allow me to take any more classes. I had to re-register, and it was already too late for that. So now I have to wait to re-register in the spring. I am looking for jobs... lab tech etc... I told the adcoms at my interview that I was in search of a job (b/c they asked), and I said I wanted to be productive while I wait.

If I get into D-school: I will take General Psychology (as a requirement for some d-schools), and methods in biotechnology (which will complete my major). If I dont get in I will add onto that Virology, an advanced Ecology course, and Analytical Chemistry. This will give me a chance to raise my science GPA for the last semester I am in undergraduate as well as my cum.

During that I will apply for a masters program in biomedical sciences. Hopefully i wont have to do this because I am praying to get into schools!

The NIH has a post-bacc program for students who have just graduated college and are applying to medical/dental/pharmacy/etc school. It's called a post-bacc Intramural Research Training Award (more info here: http://www.training.nih.gov/student/Pre-IRTA/irtamanualpostbac.asp )

Basically they pay you a stipend to work at one of the Institutes doing biomedical research, so you can get some good lab experience in while applying to schools. Plus, having the NIH on your resume doesn't look too shabby either. And since it's specifically for people taking a "year off", they're very understanding about going to interviews, etc. It doesn't pay a lot, but enough to live on. PM me if you would like more information.

Yeah, I have the year off as well, I got a job as a salesman. Haha, I'm just trying to make as much money as I can to help pay for school, every bit helps. Maybe I'll take a vacation. Take the year to be productive, but I suggest traveling and doing something that you won't be able to do while you are in School.

I'm in the same position now. I am currently taking one biology class and I just got a job as a personal trainer. I searched for a dental related job, but after visiting 20+ dental offices and a few labs I decided to get certified in personal training.

Do you guys recommend taking a yr off or to get into dental school as soon as possible? man a yr off right now sounds absolutely golden :) (i havent had a real vacation in forever)

Do you guys recommend taking a yr off or to get into dental school as soon as possible? man a yr off right now sounds absolutely golden :) (i havent had a real vacation in forever)

It is up to you. It will be nice to finish a year early, but dental school is tough and if a year off is what you need to survive, then do that.

thanks johntara, great advice!

Find any job and pay off as many or all of your non-school loans (credit cards basically). Enjoy yourself cause dental school can be fun, but your time for socializing and fun is limited, depending on the type of person you are.

I don't know what schools individually think, but I think if you can speak intelligently about why you make a decision, most people in dental schools will accept it. An excuse like:

"I just finished 4 years of school and before I went into 4 years of hellish dental school, I wanted to party and live it up for a year. I got a non-dental job that was easy and just went out with my friends and had a good time."

might not work too well at all schools, but that exact same excuse worded differently...

"After 4 years of undergrad and knowing that during dental school I will be working very hard to become a good dentist for 4 years, I felt having a year off from the dental field to keep myself well rounded, pay off some credit loans, and also enjoy time with family and friends and keep myself socially active was a good decision. During this last year I also got to do many of the things I've wanted to do for some time, including reading _____ book, and taking a trip to _____. I also looked at some anatomy books cause I know it is a hard course and I thought I'd keep the information fresh, but I didn't take a course since it wouldn't have worked well with my work schedule."

probably will roll over just fine. If you take a year off, the schools will usually ask in the interview what you've been up to.