The Canadian Applicant Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingKills

Rockstar
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is our official thread geared at anyone who is applying to Canadian schools this year.

If I get any info about interviews I'll list them here like BlindChaos is doing so it's easier for those of us who are applying to mostly, or only, Canadian programs.

I'm applying to 10 clinical programs up here (8 so far and 2 more to go). I haven't heard anything back from the schools, nor has anyone else I know who's applied to a Canadian program.

Good luck to us :luck:

The List: (invite dates listed are the dates that the first known invite went out)

Clinical Programs

Calgary - Phone interviews beginning of Feb
Concordia - phone interviews started Jan 12th, faculty meeting on March 6th.
Guelph - email invite on Feb 4 (interviews Feb 8 and 11)
OISE - Conducting on the spot phone interviews now (Feb 22) Be ready.
Queens - phone interview invite on Feb 6 (no formal interviews at Queens - POI phoned for informal interview)
Ryerson - phone invite on Feb 11 (no set interview dates, up to POI's)
Simon Fraser - phone invite on Feb 6 (interviews Feb 21 and 22)
Univ. of Saskatchewan - started phone interviews (March 1)
Univ. of Waterloo - e-mail from DCT re:upcoming e-mail from POI for phone interview. successful phone interviewee will then be invited for on-site interview at a later date
Western Ontario - Email invite (interviews/open house on Feb 8)
Windsor (adult-clinical) - Email invite on Feb 13 for phone interview (all phone interviews to be done by Feb 19th)
York - Email invite on Feb 9th for clinical-developmental (interview day Feb 25th)

**Non-interviewing schools (only acceptance/rejection letters) - UBC, Manitoba

Brain, Behaviour and Cognitive

York - Email for phone invite on Feb 7

Lifespan/Developmental

Brock - phone interview (end of January)

Acceptances

Alberta - MSc/PhD Developmental Science program (Feb 15th)
Brock - Life-Span Development program (Feb 27th)
Calgary - Clinical - acceptance via mail on Feb 28th
Dalhousie - Clinical - acceptance via email from grad sec on Feb 20th
Guelph - Clinical - Feb 14th
Lakehead - Clinical - acceptance via phone on April 18th
Manitoba - Clinical - Acceptance via phone call from POI on March 20th. Acceptance letters in the mail today.
McGill - Clinical - acceptance via email from grad sec on Feb 18th
OISE - Clinical - acceptance Feb 25th
Queens - Clinical - acceptance March 5
Ryerson - Clinical acceptance March 4th
Saskatchewan - Brain, Behaviour and Cognition Ph.D - acceptance by phone March 18th
SFU - Clinical - Acceptance March 11
Waterloo - Clinical - acceptance and waitlisting notifications sent to friends of SDN members
Wilfred Laurier - Social/Developmental - acceptance by March 13 by phone
Windsor - Clinical - Acceptance on Feb 22nd
York - Clinical - Acceptance by email March 8th

*Added - Manitoba (clinical)

Members don't see this ad.

I was just waiting for someone to do this! Thank you, WaitingKills, and I do hope this year is tremendously successful for you. I am not Canadian, but applied to 3 Canadian schools. I know it will be a long time before we hear, but I can't hardly wait. Good luck!

I'm waiting for York and McGill and unfortunately I can't seem to find any information about them...like do they interview? (I know a lot of Canadian schools don't) and when should I expect to hear? This is so nerve-wracking!

Members don't see this ad :)
York definitely interviews, but the interviews tend to be with the individual professors (and thus do not all happen on the same day). Last year, at least one professor called about interviews in early February and conducted them in mid-February.

I'm waiting for York and McGill and unfortunately I can't seem to find any information about them...like do they interview? (I know a lot of Canadian schools don't) and when should I expect to hear? This is so nerve-wracking!

Well... when I spoke to the woman at McGill about my application she stated that she had not even entered the Master's people into the database... she then told me that she would "get around" to entering the PhD applicants in around mid February... so looks like we will continue to hold our breath on McGill!

ok so along the lines of interviews, i've been hearing a few different stories. WesternSky - did you get an interview at York last year? The notion I got from last year's interview thread was that no one was invited to interview, that they only accepted "internal" candidates, although I'm not sure exactly what that means. And, mattgraz, does that mean McGill will hold interviews in later March? (if she will only begin to enter phd apps in mid-feb, I assume they wouldn't have decisions about interviews until March) or do they not interview?
I'm so confused!! Thanks everyone!

ok so along the lines of interviews, i've been hearing a few different stories. WesternSky - did you get an interview at York last year? The notion I got from last year's interview thread was that no one was invited to interview, that they only accepted "internal" candidates, although I'm not sure exactly what that means. And, mattgraz, does that mean McGill will hold interviews in later March? (if she will only begin to enter phd apps in mid-feb, I assume they wouldn't have decisions about interviews until March) or do they not interview?
I'm so confused!! Thanks everyone!

I think York interviewed people but ended up selecting from their internal pool.

I think York interviewed people but ended up selecting from their internal pool.

I think there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding on the board about that.

York has a Master's program and a Ph.D. program. The usual requirement for admission to its Master's program is a undergrad degree in psych. Last year, York accepted several students to its Master's program from other universities. Admission to the Master's program isn't quite a guarantee of admission to the Ph.D. program, but it's pretty close. :)

If you already HAVE a Master's from another university, you can apply to the York's Ph.D. program instead. However, last year York did not accept any students from outside of its own department to the Ph.D. program.

I hope that clears things up. :)

I think there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding on the board about that.

York has a Master's program and a Ph.D. program. The usual requirement for admission to its Master's program is a undergrad degree in psych. Last year, York accepted several students to its Master's program from other universities. Admission to the Master's program isn't quite a guarantee of admission to the Ph.D. program, but it's pretty close. :)

If you already HAVE a Master's from another university, you can apply to the York's Ph.D. program instead. However, last year York did not accept any students from outside of its own department to the Ph.D. program.

I hope that clears things up. :)

Seriously? You need a master's first to apply to their PhD program?

See now THAT pisses me off because their website was unclear about it so I CALLED to ask and they told me I could apply to the PhD program.

I want my application fee refunded:(

See now THAT pisses me off because their website was unclear about it so I CALLED to ask and they told me I could apply to the PhD program.

I can't believe they told you that. :( The info is buried in their program brochure (http://www.yorku.ca/health/psyc/graduate/grad_prospective_students.htm) and then click 'download program brochure')... It sucks that someone gave you misinformation.

I applied last year, and also didn't recall seeing this information anywhere. I would think they would have automatically transferred both of us to masters program admissions. Oh well. TS for them, my department loves me :p

I applied last year, and also didn't recall seeing this information anywhere. I would think they would have automatically transferred both of us to masters program admissions. Oh well. TS for them, my department loves me :p

Wow, I see it now. Are we sure they didn't change the brochure? I THOUGHT I read the whole thing, but must have missed it if it was there last year.

Ah well. As nice as it would be to have stayed up north, chances are I'd have chosen my current program over it anyways.

:love:The hospital affiliation here.

I believe that OISE is that way, too- they take PhD students mostly from their master's program. I don't have a problem applying to a master's program if the school is set up that way, but I don't like that it isn't standardized and that they make it so inconspicuous. I never would hav known that OISE was that way if I had not read about it in the Insider's Guide.

And Ollie- I'm really glad you love your hospital affiliation!

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW! i had no idea whatsoever..you'd think they would make things more clear, like have a line on the application that asks for what your masters was or where you received it. That's absolutely infuriating!!! I second that I want my application fee back- York's was my most expensive one!

Don't most Canadian universities do masters, then PhD? I was under the impression that mine was the only "weird" one that didn't.

WOW! i had no idea whatsoever..you'd think they would make things more clear, like have a line on the application that asks for what your masters was or where you received it. That's absolutely infuriating!!! I second that I want my application fee back- York's was my most expensive one!

Yeah like $90, right?

I applied to McGill's counseling program and York's adult clinical last year. My other 11 apps were to US universities. I hope you guys had some US institutions at least on the radar! Canada only has so many universities, and limiting yourself to only Canadian schools can be detrimental.

Don't most Canadian universities do masters, then PhD? I was under the impression that mine was the only "weird" one that didn't.

UBC and Uvic do not secretively require an in-house master's first- you apply to the PhD program.

I did apply to US schools as well, only 5, but I only applied to 7 schools in total anyway.

And, does McGill's program work that way as well?? Did I waste time and money on two programs?!!?

From my understanding, like RD's, the vast majority of Canadian schools accept you at a master's level with the belief and intent that you will progress through the Ph.D.

A lot of the schools will require you to reapply for the Ph.D program, but it is just a formality and usually an internal application rather than this whole process again.

I think it's the schools' way of weeding out people that they believe won't make it through the Ph.D or unsuited to be psychologists.

i just checked McGill's website carefully and found this:
In the Clinical Program both research and clinical training are combined. Students are typically admitted directly from a Bachelor's degree to the PhD program. The Clinical Program is fully accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) and the American Psychological Association (APA) and is a member of the Academy of Clinical Science.

I'm not sure if this statement is really true, but I like it much more than all the York news today.

Hello,

Does anyone know if Concordia University does on-site interviews or if everything is done by phone?

I had a phone interview last weekend, and I didn't dare ask if that was it or if some students will be selected for an on-site interview. I think it seemed like maybe it was only by phone.

So anyway, professors at Concordia have our files! And they accept students directly from the Bachelor's level.

Patience patience, we will get more answers soon...

Hello,

Does anyone know if Concordia University does on-site interviews or if everything is done by phone?

I had a phone interview last weekend, and I didn't dare ask if that was it or if some students will be selected for an on-site interview. I think it seemed like maybe it was only by phone.

So anyway, professors at Concordia have our files! And they accept students directly from the Bachelor's level.

Patience patience, we will get more answers soon...

Crappy. So does this mean that they aren't accepting students who already have a masters? I really wish they would state this on their website.

Also, are they still doing phone interviews or are they done.

I must say that they are really on the ball since the deadline was only on the 10th.

Crappy. So does this mean that they aren't accepting students who already have a masters? I really wish they would state this on their website.

Also, are they still doing phone interviews or are they done.

I must say that they are really on the ball since the deadline was only on the 10th.

Dear WaitingKills

I was surprised to get a call from them this early. I strongly doubt that they are done with calling people. I think I must have been among the first.

Also, the Insider's Guide says that they do accept students with Master's degrees, so don't worry too much.

Good Luck :)

Dear WaitingKills

I was surprised to get a call from them this early. I strongly doubt that they are done with calling people. I think I must have been among the first.

Also, the Insider's Guide says that they do accept students with Master's degrees, so don't worry too much.

Good Luck :)

Awesome, thanks.

Congrats on your interview. I think you should take it as a really big compliment that they called you right away :D

Dear WaitingKills

:)

First off, congrats! Second-- Has anyone else who applied to Concordia checked their application status recently at myconcordia.ca? I'm a little confused because mine still says that "A preliminary review of your file will be conducted shortly. You will be notified via e-mail should any additional information be required."

I was kind of hoping that would change to "Application Complete" at some point, but if it's like that for others I will stop worrying. :)

First off, congrats! Second-- Has anyone else who applied to Concordia checked their application status recently at myconcordia.ca? I'm a little confused because mine still says that "A preliminary review of your file will be conducted shortly. You will be notified via e-mail should any additional information be required."

I was kind of hoping that would change to "Application Complete" at some point, but if it's like that for others I will stop worrying. :)

I just check my status and it says exactly the same thing.

I applied their last year too and I believe it stayed there until I got the big old rejection stamp.

I would call and ask the psych dept about your application rather than wait for updates online.

My application was reviewed even though I was missing two transcripts and mt GRE/TOEFL scores (no kidding). So don't worry too much about your file being listed as incomplete, it will still be reviewed and, if interested, your POI will tell you if things are still missing.

Of course if you can call to check exactly which documents are missing, that's even better. But you're not out of the race because your file isn't quite complete.

So far, half of the schools I applied to lost at least one of the documents that I mailed them. It's really frustrating!

Good luck everyone :)

I am so mad! I got a letter from UVic this weekend letting me know my file is incomplete...I sent my application in 6 weeks ago and they are just getting back to me now! I think it's because I am reapplying and was told that I did not need to re-send every document, but arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. I can't seem to get a hold of anyone today about it.

I know it's a holiday here...But I don't suppose there's any such thing as Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Canada...

I can't seem to figure out how to log on to my application status page- was anyone else who applied to UVic able to do this?

Quick question - would yall like me to crosslist the schools on this thread? I can put all schools (Canadian, American, whatever else happens to come) on that thread for one stop shopping in case anyone has applied to schools in both countries and people can look here more easily for Canadian schools. Anyway, whatever yall prefer is fine, just thought I'd ask :)

I know it's a holiday here...But I don't suppose there's any such thing as Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Canada...

It's not a holiday up here.

I just got a pleasant little email from one of the schools I applied to, ya my top choice school.

Apparently they calculated my master's GPA (international) wrong and have deemed me ineligible to apply. Now mind you the deadline was wayyyy back in December, and I've been trying to confirm my application was complete and fine for over 2 weeks and I just hear about it today. Apparently a letter has already been sent. Sweet! Now it's the end of January and I bet my POI has already set up interviews and I'm screwed.

I've emailed the lady that told me and I'm going to email my POI right now, but I'm choked. I really REALLY wanted to go to this school. My graduate GPA is not under a B! Are they insane?!

Quick question - would yall like me to crosslist the schools on this thread? I can put all schools (Canadian, American, whatever else happens to come) on that thread for one stop shopping in case anyone has applied to schools in both countries and people can look here more easily for Canadian schools. Anyway, whatever yall prefer is fine, just thought I'd ask :)

I think this is a great idea. :)

Also, WK-- I'm so sorry! I hope they manage to get it figured out soon and re-consider your application. :( Also, emailing your POI directly now is a great idea; I'm sure it'll work out.

Hi everyone - just to update about the York situation. I just checked my status online. Whereas before it said Faculty of Graduate studies PHD, now it says Faculty of Graduate Studies M.A. I'm assuming they moved me into the appropriate category since I didn't have my masters. At least I didn't waste my app money, maybe we'll all still be considered!
Good luck this week, it could be a big one!

Yet another update on York.

I spoke with the grad secretary there a couple hours ago and they are still waiting for about 20 applications to come from admissions and won't start reviewing for either clinical or clinical-developmental until next week sometime.

There is time to breathe yet before anyone will here anything.

I was told that yes, a master's is an understood (but not official) must for getting into a Canadian PhD program...

Hi All,

So I am pretty much on the edge of my seat every minute of the day.

Here is what I have gathered from speaking with grad secretaries/emails etc.

Concordia: I got an email from a potential supervisor who said that she would review my file, and that decisions will bemade over the next five weeks.

York: As of last week, a lot of files had not been forwarded to the department

OISE: Probably forwarded to the department just this week. I spoke to the grad secretary and she processed my file this past Thursday.

Windsor: My file was processed today, so I don't think they've hit the department just yet.

Has anyone heard anything about Guelph? I was checking bits and pieces of the American thread last year and apparently interviews were on Feb 2nd last year?!?

Hi all! I received a phone and e-mail invite from my POI at the University of Western Ontario (Clinical Ph.D.)... The interview/open house for shortlisted candidates will take place February 8th.

Hi all! I received a phone and e-mail invite from my POI at the University of Western Ontario (Clinical Ph.D.)... The interview/open house for shortlisted candidates will take place February 8th.

Woot, woot for the you and your interview invite! Congratulations, we know it means a lot to you! Congratulations!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the discussion about what you need to get into a Canadian PhD program.

It turns out that you do need a Master's (or equivalent coursework) in order to get into Concordia's PhD program. So I'm being downgraded to the the MA application because my master's was not in psych. Fair enough, I didn't expect to start post-Masters! I was just surprised because I thought Canadian programs were like US programs.

I'm just confirming what other people already said :)

Good luck everyone!

Congrats!

Update on Queens.

I got an email from the grad secretary (I'm assuming) today with a question about my references. They are currently processing applications and it looks like they are going to be reviewed by the department around Wednesday next week.

Hi All,

So I am pretty much on the edge of my seat every minute of the day.

Here is what I have gathered from speaking with grad secretaries/emails etc.

Concordia: I got an email from a potential supervisor who said that she would review my file, and that decisions will bemade over the next five weeks.

York: As of last week, a lot of files had not been forwarded to the department

OISE: Probably forwarded to the department just this week. I spoke to the grad secretary and she processed my file this past Thursday.

Windsor: My file was processed today, so I don't think they've hit the department just yet.

Has anyone heard anything about Guelph? I was checking bits and pieces of the American thread last year and apparently interviews were on Feb 2nd last year?!?

I applied to Guelph as well but haven't heard a thing.

Thanks for all the info on the other schools. I think I'll contact a couple other Canadian schools tomorrow for updates so I'll post about what I hear.

Congrats westernsky! That is great! I applied to western last year and got an invite and I have to say it was definetly a realllyy long day. Sleep as much as possible the night before! (i know, impossible)

UPDATE:

Guelph: I just got an e-mail from the grad secretary at Guelph and she said that she forwarded our applications to the head of the department on Tuesday of this week. So...the review process has just started there.

K, here's what I found out today...

Concordia - they are in the process of reviewing now and are inviting along the way. The secretary said invites can be expected sometime within the next 2 weeks or so for those that are going to get one.

Windsor - the faculty should get the applications by the end of next week, or early the week after at the latest.

Queen's - faculty will start reviewing applications by the end of next week. Decisions will start going out around the end of February for both acceptances and rejections. They don't interview.

Manitoba - will start reviewing in the next couple of weeks.

York - will start reviewing early next week

So it looks like things are going to start picking up in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully we'll get some more interviews happening for all of us :D

Concordia - they are in the process of reviewing now and are inviting along the way. The secretary said invites can be expected sometime within the next 2 weeks or so for those that are going to get one.

Windsor - the faculty should get the applications by the end of next week, or early the week after at the latest.

Queen's - faculty will start reviewing applications by the end of next week. Decisions will start going out around the end of February for both acceptances and rejections. They don't interview.

So it looks like things are going to start picking up in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully we'll get some more interviews happening for all of us :D

any word on mcgill?

Thanks for sharing the info! I am kinda shocked that Queens dosen't interview for clinical. Did anyone know about this previously? I know one person who got accepted to Queens last year and she had a meeting (i guess more of an unnofficial thing) with her POI before she was admitted. I guess we just sit patiently till the end of Febraury then!

Does anybody know if these two schools (UBC and U of Ottawa) do interviews, and if so - when? Thanks in advance!

Just an update on another school.

USask is starting to look at applications now but are very early in the process. They interview but the lady I spoke with doesn't know when this will be happening.

Hey All,

I just received an email from guelph and jumped off my chair....but it was some applicant diversity survey. I am not sure if this is bad news (i.e. they send out these surveys once they are done the process) or neutral news. My anxiety is making me negative. Opinions?

I was totally excited too when I saw something from Guelph in my inbox. It clearly stated that answering the survey would in no way affect your application so I'm guessing it's up to you if you want to answer it. I finished it and it wasn't very long at all. A lot of demographic questions like your age range, ethnicity, etc. Hope that helps! Hopefully we'll get a real response from them soon as well!! :)