Establishing Residency While in D-School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eventualOMFS

in another life...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I formed this list while applying to schools. I'm now a dental student, but I'll try to keep this as updated as possible. If anything is wrong, just let me know, and I'll correct it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
UC (Colorado): no change of residency
UB (Buffalo): yes after 1 yr
UConn: yes after 1 yr
Florida: now saying it's possible after 1 yr
Indiana: no change of residency
UIC: no change of residency (unless you marry an IL resident)
Iowa: no change of residency
Louisville: no change of residency
Kentucky: no change of residency
UNC: yes after 1 yr (might be getting more difficult)
Ohio State: yes after 1 yr (basically everyone)
Maryland: possibly after 1 yr
Michigan: no change of residency
Oklahoma: no change of residency
Pitt:
UNLV: yes after 1 yr
VCU: no change of residency
UMDNJ: yes after 1 yr
Temple: possibly after 1 yr
UCLA: yes after 1 yr
UCSF: yes after 1 yr
Texas: no change of residency
UW: possible, but it may be difficult and take a couple years

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Colorado does not allow you to do this (used to but the law changed)

BTW... I'm not knocking your dreams, but it is a little odd that you're name is eventualOMFS when you haven't even been accepted into Dental School yet.....

UIC - you must be a IL resident for the purpose of in state tuition.

I once read on the UIC website that their residency requirements for the purpose of in state tution may differ than the general state's requirements. So make sure you research the school's requirements and not just the state's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it's very easy to establish residency in NJ for UMDNJ.

Hey all,

I am applying to schools in May. I do not have a state school, so I will be applying to most (if not all) of the private schools. I also want to take a shot at a few public schools because of the huge tuition advantage if one can establish residency.

Could you guys please tell me which states allow you to establish residency while in school?

Here are some that I found in other threads....

California - no; cannot establish residency while taking classes
NY - yes, must buy property
Indiana - no; cannot establish residency while taking classes
North Carolina - almost anyone can become a resident after 1 year

UNC - I don't think it is so easy anymore to become a resident. I heard through the grapevine that some of the 2nd years had trouble getting residency and I don't know if they ever got it. If you get an interview, be sure to ask current 2nd years or third year students about it. Also talk to Dr. Morano as I think he is in charge of that.

BTW... I'm not knocking your dreams, but it is a little odd that you're name is eventualOMFS when you haven't even been accepted into Dental School yet.....
thanks CaffeineHigh....

...I had to choose a name when I signed up, and I wanted it to be something that motivated me every time I signed in. Also, my goal used to be 100% oral surgery. My goals have since changed, as my interest in general dentistry has grown exponentially the more I learn about it. Not sure what your intentions were in making that comment.

Last edited:
It is typical to list where you've applied, interviewed, and been accepted at. If you want you can go to predents.com and read everyone's GPA/DAT scores and judge for yourself how "successful" they are. I am on there and not trying to hide anything at all.

Basically, people on this board silently laugh at people who say they will be in OMFS before they even get accepted. I'm sure you're aware of the requirements for admission to such a program. Top of the class rank, top of the national board scores, amazing EC etc.... (those are all a walk in the park right?)

Basically, people on this board silently laugh at people who say they will be in OMFS before they even get accepted. I'm sure you're aware of the requirements for admission to such a program. Top of the class rank, top of the national board scores, amazing EC etc.... (those are all a walk in the park right?)

Come on now, what's wrong with aiming high? Like the OP said, it gives them motivation. As long as you work really hard in dental school, you can pretty much become an OMFS unless you are a complete *****. Are you going to knock pre-dents who know they want to become a surgeon, dermatologist, ect...?

My sister did it as Ohio State.

UNLV allows residency after 1 year. Are you sure NY requires buying property? I haven't investigated it entirely, but at UB they mentioned becoming a resident and didn't say anything about buying property.
And if I might add, I agree that a name like eventualOMFS puts people off a bit. It's one thing to profess an interest in oral surgery and another to be a predent that attaches himslef to a specialty when he's still an undergrad. Wait until you're 1/2 through dental school and have a better idea of your abilities before you start tooting your horn about oral surgery. And BTW, I don't read the bible so I don't know the versus you listed in your signature; but I can bet their not the one about "turning the other cheek".

Schools I applied at:

Maryland: no change of residency
Colorado: no change of residency
OHSU: no change of residency
UNLV: after year 1
VCU: after year 1
UMDNJ: can change immediatly
Temple: after year 1, can be difficult
UCLA: after year 1
UCSF: after year 1

Good luck, and you are wise to consider the financial aspect, unlike so many other naive pre-dents.

Last edited:
Makushin, thanks for that extensive reply. It is a huge help.

It is typical to list where you've applied, interviewed, and been accepted at. If you want you can go to predents.com and read everyone's GPA/DAT scores and judge for yourself how "successful" they are. I am on there and not trying to hide anything at all.

Who cares? Is it any different than if he called himself "eventualDDS"? Either way will take a lot of hard work, but there's nothing wrong with having lofty goals. It is certainly no more lame then listing your all your acceptances in your signature. Peace.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can...Can we all just get along? +pity+

thanks CaffeineHigh....

And I'm not knocking your decision to list in your signature all of the interviews and acceptances (but not outright rejections) you received, but....really? Maybe I have high goals of success, but it looks like you already consider yourself to be quite the accomplishment.

hahahaha nice... UFC cagefight... round 2

And if I might add, I agree that a name like eventualOMFS puts people off a bit. It's one thing to profess an interest in oral surgery and another to be a predent that attaches himslef to a specialty when he's still an undergrad. Wait until you're 1/2 through dental school and have a better idea of your abilities before you start tooting your horn about oral surgery. And BTW, I don't read the bible so I don't know the versus you listed in your signature; but I can bet their not the one about "turning the other cheek".

Man, if I have to deal with people like this in D school, it's going to be a miserable 4 years. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but seriously... it's just a freakin name. I'm going to get a lot of crap for saying this, but you should all go sit on a toilet and push out whatever BS is wedged up there... it's a shame that a useful thread like this had to get bombarded by this kind of garbage.

My sister did it as Ohio State.

Since you were a UNC grad, do you know if it's possible to gain residency after a year like the OP suggested?

Btw... congrats on the OMFS residency... that's quite an accomplishment! How do you like it so far?

Why are you guys turning a nick name into a all out brawn!!!! Come on grow up... let him choose whatever name he wants to have. Diversity is a good thing. :p

Why are you guys turning a nick name into a all out brawn!!!! Come on grow up... let him choose whatever name he wants to have. Diversity is a good thing. :p

I agree...people on this forum get offended over the dumbest things...its just a name and he might be good enough to get into that speciality...LOl...its just sooo funny to see people get mad over things like this...

Anyways, Louisville doesn't give residency and I am pretty sure Kentucky doesn't either. So you will be paying OUT of state for those.

Man, if I have to deal with people like this in D school, it's going to be a miserable 4 years.
Oh come on, we can sit together and get along just fine. I'll resist calling you a hypocrite, evnetualOMFS pretentious, and you 'll both pretend I'm not really an A-hole. I think that can work.:)

Since you were a UNC grad, do you know if it's possible to gain residency after a year like the OP suggested?

Btw... congrats on the OMFS residency... that's quite an accomplishment! How do you like it so far?

I was an out of state student at UNC for 1 year then got in-state. However, the person who made that decision is gone now and a new guy is on the scene. I have no connections to the first year class there so I don't know how things have gone for them.

I start July 1 for residency but so far so good. I love this program, ranked it #1!!

No for Texas...residency rules here are strict.

I am thinking of trying for texas residency before applying. I have a job offer in San Antonio but I'm wondering if its worth the risk of moving my family down there to try to get in. Has anyone tried this? or know anyone who has?

Does anyone know about the following schools?

UConn (I would get New England tuition, but in-state is considerably better)
Louisville
Pitt
Tennessee

Thanks!

From the administrators at UIC:

UIC: cannot establish residency while taking classes at the dental school. They said the ONLY way you can become a IL resident as a student is to marry a IL resident. (which is great because my lady friend is an IL resident)

Does anyone know about the following schools?

UConn (I would get New England tuition, but in-state is considerably better)
Louisville
Pitt
Tennessee

Thanks!

Louisville does NOT allow you to establish residency. OOS tuition is for 4 years.

thanks for the input guys - this is becoming very useful for me, i hope it helps others as well

I think Michigan is also very stringent about residencies. Once an out of stater then an out of stater for the whole 4 years.

I am curious about Pitt, also..

I believe UW is pretty strict as well. I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) that you can gain residency after 2 years, but it's difficult...​

VCU does not give you in-state residency after 1 year. In fact, you won't get in-state even if you were to attend dental school for 100 years! The state has a policy that if you come in as out of state student you will stay that way. Don't believe me? Ask Dr. Healey. Virginia is similar to Indiana with their out of state hostility. The only way to get in-state status is to live there 1 year BEFORE you apply to dental school. You have been warned.

eh I dont know about hostility, you can make a case that you plan to live there afterwards and they might reclassify you. If you say purchased property, had a spouse with a job, and maybe had a kid in school, Ill bet you could petition and reclassify decently easy.

They take it on reason for being in the state, if it is educational they will not allow you to change, if you can make a case that you are there for some other reason then you have a chance.

UConn is after the first year

my interview group was told by the director of admissions at Maryland that it IS possible to become a resident, it just isn't as easy as most schools. Usually it takes a couple years. I guess I'll worry about it if the time comes though!

Great thread. Anyone else have any more info on this?

I found this on Kentucky's website:

"Message for Non Kentucky Residents

It is not easy to gain Kentucky residency in order to be eligible for in state tuition. If a student comes to Kentucky specifically for educational purposes, it is highly unlikely that residency will be granted. The UK College of Dentistry is not involved in the decision making process, so to learn more about residency and the appeal process, visit www.uky.edu/Registrar/residenc.htm

Kind of following up with the comment on "to marry a in-state resident".

Let's say I go to a school, my spouse moves with me and gets a job in that state. So my spouse get in-state after a year. Can I establish an in-state residency based on that?

Kind of following up with the comment on "to marry a in-state resident".

Let's say I go to a school, my spouse moves with me and gets a job in that state. So my spouse get in-state after a year. Can I establish an in-state residency based on that?

I am wondering the same thing. My boyfriend will basically be supporting me throughout school (apartment, etc). It may be worth it to get married now....:laugh:

BUMP - Most of the info in this thread is from a few years ago. I'm curious to know if anyone else can provide updated input on any schools that they looked into while applying this year?

Edit: And don't bother heckling me about my choice of user name, because I just don't care about what you think about it :D

I am wondering the same thing. My boyfriend will basically be supporting me throughout school (apartment, etc). It may be worth it to get married now....:laugh:
Go BULLS!
BUMP - Most of the info in this thread is from a few years ago. I'm curious to know if anyone else can provide updated input on any schools that they looked into while applying this year?

Edit: And don't bother heckling me about my choice of user name, because I just don't care about what you think about it :D

Anyone know about UAB?

Your user name is offensive

Reviving this thread. I'm really bummed, as I just found out that most state schools do not allow one to establish residency while attending school. This is what I have so far:

UCSF No?
Colorado No?
Maryland Maybe?
WVU NO
Michigan NO
Iowa NO
Alabama NO

Would appreciate links evidencing answers. I'll start collecting those.

One idea to establish residency is simply buying a home. If the cost of the home is less than the amount you'll save in tuition then it's an obvious decision.

I've heard that such works at some schools, but not others. : /