Uhcop 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPhTtoPharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here applying @ UH COP for 2009 application year. This site really helped me out last year. I just wanted to see if anyone was in the same boat I was in last year.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just turned in all my materials last Friday. UH is definitely my number one choice.

Just curious, why is UH your top choice?

Close to home, great city, and I've heard some great things about there program. I've also been out of state for the past 3 years and nothing sounds better than coming back home.
I like UT and Texas Tech but in reality I would be more than satisfied to get accepted to any of these schools.

Close to home, great city, and I've heard some great things about there program. I've also been out of state for the past 3 years and nothing sounds better than coming back home.
I like UT and Texas Tech but in reality I would be more than satisfied to get accepted to any of these schools.

Makes sense. Home is always the easiest place to be...well for most.

Yea any of those schools would be great.

For those of you that went through this process last year, how early can we expect interview invites?

I'm just waiting on my LOR's and then I can submit my application. I'm also curious to know when the first round of interviews are. I heard they were in January. Do you think if I get my app in by mid December I will be considered for the first round?

For those of you that went through this process last year, how early can we expect interview invites?

We got interview invites at the end of december last year fo the first interviews. This year they might be sending invites out even earlier since there are two interview dates in Jan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sup Mr. W%$#!X :D

Hey bigomar. It is really funny that your pic is of pedro, because marcil and I were talking about if we had done napoleon dynamite as a skit for practice we would have made you pedro. Sorry type casting. But you would have had to shave your head.

I'm just waiting on my LOR's and then I can submit my application. I'm also curious to know when the first round of interviews are. I heard they were in January. Do you think if I get my app in by mid December I will be considered for the first round?

You need to submit your interview as soon as you find out who is writing your LORs. DO NOT WAIT unitl you have the LORs in hand. This will put you farther back in line for interviews.

So the admissions commitee will review your app. even if they don't have your LOR?

So the admissions commitee will review your app. even if they don't have your LOR?

They will not review it but they start looking at them in order that they were submitted. So if you submit it now even if it is not complete, you will be ahead of others that submit it later. So make sure the online portion is submitted as soon as possible.

Ok, I just submitted my online app.

Thank you so much CPhTtoPharmD you have been a big help! UH is my first choice so I hope I get accepted.

Time to revive this thread. Any advice from the students at Houston for the interview? What are important things to know/do and what will get me accepted? :)

Interview on Jan. 30 so any and all advice appreciated.

Time to revive this thread. Any advice from the students at Houston for the interview? What are important things to know/do and what will get me accepted? :)

Hurray. I am happy to see someone got an interview.:clap:

Most important advice is to review the interview feedback database here on SDN. That helps out a lot. Also read over your answers to the Questionare and Essays that you have to write. Everything they are going to ask is either the questions about how you responded on your questionare and essays, and other questions which you can find in the feedback database. Best of Luck. I dont think I will be there for the first couple of interviews because I have not attended our mandatory training to do so.

Congratulations on the invite. Have you already sent your transcripts in for the fall? How did they notify you?

I received an interview invitation for January 30th. I didn't know we had to do a questionnaire and essay for UH. I'm not complaining, just glad I got an invite so soon.

Congrats to those who will interview on Jan 30th! Maybe I will be there or maybe I won't ;)

Hey Ethyl Methyl how is your winter break going?

Congratulations on the invite. Have you already sent your transcripts in for the fall? How did they notify you?

Thank you, and Merry Christmas all!!

I received my interview invite via e-mail. My fall transcripts may have just been received by them, I'm not too sure. I know they were sent by my college but I'm not sure if they were used in the decision to give an interview seeing as how one of my recommendation letters hasn't been submitted yet.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas all!!

I received my interview invite via e-mail. My fall transcripts may have just been received by them, I'm not too sure. I know they were sent by my college but I'm not sure if they were used in the decision to give an interview seeing as how one of my recommendation letters hasn't been submitted yet.

The college will usually send out invites before LORs and Fall transcripts have been recieved.

i was wondering for the people who already received interview invites, what were your stats?

because i submitted early december, and have a 3.9 gpa, 84 pcat, worked at pharmacy for about a year, volunteer at a hospital, clubs, basically everything! i have a friend who applied after i did and already got an invitation.

the only thing i can think that i have a disadvantage is that im young. i'm a sophomore and just finished organic 1.. but i made an A in it if that helps?

Anyone that has taken the October PCAT,is it listed on your online application as being received? Mine is not,and I didn't know whether I should call & check on it.

i was wondering for the people who already received interview invites, what were your stats?

because i submitted early december, and have a 3.9 gpa, 84 pcat, worked at pharmacy for about a year, volunteer at a hospital, clubs, basically everything! i have a friend who applied after i did and already got an invitation.

the only thing i can think that i have a disadvantage is that im young. i'm a sophomore and just finished organic 1.. but i made an A in it if that helps?

I submitted my application in October with a 3.75 gpa and a 96 pcat, worked in a pharmacy 4 years, volunteered at hospital a few times, no clubs, but have a degree now and am working in clinical research.

I wouldn't see why you would be at a disadvantage if you can have all the pre-reqs completed before you would potentially start next Aug. You would have to have all the classes and number of hours completed.

Don't worry. You'll probably get invited for the second round of interview which is in February. GL

Hey Ethyl Methyl how is your winter break going?

Winter break is going really well and really fast! I can't believe there's just less than 2 weeks before school starts again. I better get started on those summer internship applications.

Any former students who got in with low GPA or PCAT!!!!!

Insights will be graetly appreciated.

Don't worry. You'll probably get invited for
the second round of interview which is in February. GL
Winter break is going really well and really fast! I can't believe there's just less than 2 weeks before school starts again. I better get started on those summer internship applications.

Im sorry freaking glad I dont need to do any summer internship apps. Do they really pay more than the hospital you work at? Cause it is about the same pay for me.

Im sorry freaking glad I dont need to do any summer internship apps. Do they really pay more than the hospital you work at? Cause it is about the same pay for me.

Hey, maybe your pharmacy is looking for an additional hardworking intern like myself? :)

Just thinking about filling in those retail apps is enough to make me break out in hives (brings back bad memories). At the same time, I'm thinking it's about time I give retail another try.

I'd really like a hospital internship but I don't know if I should go back to my previous employer. I imagine the pay in the hospital is better. From what I gather, the going rate for retail is between 13.50 to 18. I think the upper range is for people who've been with them for a long time. Most of them offer 14 which is low, IMO.

Hey, maybe your pharmacy is looking for an additional hardworking intern like myself? :)

Just thinking about filling in those retail apps is enough to make me break out in hives (brings back bad memories). At the same time, I'm thinking it's about time I give retail another try.

I'd really like a hospital internship but I don't know if I should go back to my previous employer. I imagine the pay in the hospital is better. From what I gather, the going rate for retail is between 13.50 to 18. I think the upper range is for people who've been with them for a long time. Most of them offer 14 which is low, IMO.

Ethyl,
Last year there was ONE hospital (out of town) offering an internship. From my understanding landing it was very competitive. A very, very good friend of mine was one of the finalists for the position. If you are interested in his perspective of the position, find me when school starts and I will introduce you to this person.

CPhT,
You know who I'm talking about.

has anyone applied to this school with a pcat below 70? I wonder do they ever get in or how strictly schools adhere to their minimum recommended pcat score? :idea:

Ethyl,
Last year there was ONE hospital (out of town) offering an internship. From my understanding landing it was very competitive. A very, very good friend of mine was one of the finalists for the position. If you are interested in his perspective of the position, find me when school starts and I will introduce you to this person.

CPhT,
You know who I'm talking about.

Thank you. Are you talking about the TSHP sponsored internship? I think I've come across an opening for that but I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to even interview for it.

has anyone applied to this school with a pcat below 70? I wonder do they ever get in or how strictly schools adhere to their minimum recommended pcat score? :idea:
I would venture to say that there were definitely people with low pcat scores who applied, but I don't know if they got accepted though. UHCOP actually wants its applicants to have a least 70 in each subsection of the pcat. If you tanked one subsection,they will probably make an exception provided all the rest of your application are very good.

http://pharmacy.uh.edu/fs/pharmd/pdf/flyer.pdf

Any former students who got in with low GPA or PCAT!!!!!

Insights will be graetly appreciated.

I personally don't know anybody with a GPA lower than a 3.3something who got accepted. Also, most people I asked got at least a decent pcat score.

Last edited:

Unless you have been a pharmacy technician for several years and know what is going on then I'm not sure why an intern would think they deserve more than $14 an hour. An intern does the exact same job responsibilities as a technician besides being able to transfer prescriptions (which some techs do) and occasionally counseling.

Unless you have been a pharmacy technician for several years and know what is going on then I'm not sure why an intern would think they deserve more than $14 an hour. An intern does the exact same job responsibilities as a technician besides being able to transfer prescriptions (which some techs do) and occasionally counseling.

My point was hospitals pay their techs and interns better than retail (not true for pharmacists, though). Four years ago the average starting for new techs was 12.50 in the hospitals. Adjusting for inflation, I think that figure is higher now. And, that's just for the tech salary.

I've also been a tech for several years now so I'm sure I can do a little more than being a newbie tech now.

Hey Ethyl,

Did you do the interview training? and did they say that there will be an interview session on the week of the 13th of Jan?

Hey Ethyl,

Did you do the interview training? and did they say that there will be an interview session on the week of the 13th of Jan?

I did but they canceled the Jan 13th date. Jan.30th is going to be the first interview date instead.

I did but they canceled the Jan 13th date. Jan.30th is going to be the first interview date instead.

I guess that explains why I have not heard of anyone getting a Jan 13th interview. Although it would have been kind of odd to have an interview when we are not in college.

CPhT,
Change your status homie.

As far as the low PCAT low GPA, I know two individuals in our class who had about a 3.5 and a PCAT in the mid-high 60s. Those individuals were tabled but got in. So there is a possibility of getting in who those stats but you will most likely be tabled until all interviews are over.

I just read we have to buy a F***ing clikcer for cells. I am not happy:mad:.

I'm an applicant for next year and I am in dire need of a good PCAT score. The last time I took it, I had a comp of 55. :/ Jan 24th is the last chance I have for getting a good score. Was anyone in my situation? I'm scared as heck for the coming week.

My questionnaire and essays are complete and ready to be turned in. I'm really excited but nervous for the interview. :xf:

I applied later than I would have liked to have and am therefore now worried about my chances of getting an interview despite my fairly solid stats. Do any of you know of the what the future interview schedule is like/how late in the year interviews are conducted?

I applied later than I would have liked to have and am therefore now worried about my chances of getting an interview despite my fairly solid stats. Do any of you know of the what the future interview schedule is like/how late in the year interviews are conducted?

Don't worry. It's not even the deadline yet. You may have a very good chance of getting an interview for a March or April date. UH has 8-9 interview dates, the very last one being May 1st or May 22nd. May 22nd is more like a contingency date.