I graduated from UHCOP last year. Avoid this school if you want to be successful in your career, and if you want to live.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
If you've been watching the news at all, you'll notice that Houston is currently enduring another storm by the name of Imelda. Google it and you'll see that it's taking a huge toll on Houston and its surrounding areas. To get to the point, I have a few P4 friends that are on the end of their third rotation today at various sites around Houston and some of them are either trapped there or have no place to go. Some have had their houses flooded to the likes of Hurricane Harvey in 2017, cars completely or partially submerged in water, and some were close to drowning.

Despite all of this, they were still encouraged to make it to their sites if possible and to on-campus day tomorrow. On-campus day, for those who don't know, is a day where we waste our valuable time listening to "clinical pearls" and other students present and take exams. Nothing conducive to our learning. Regardless, my friend sent me this email she received by the coordinator confirming that despite all the flooding going on today, the day will PROCEED. This is what they wanted.

Then UH, the school itself and not the college of pharmacy, sent an alert notifying all students that campus will be closed tomorrow due to flooding and people who have been impacted by this storm. Immediately following this alert, they responded to the email saying that on-campus day is now CANCELLED and that our "safety is of utmost concern."

Now if the students' safety was so "valuable" to the faculty members, why did they encourage them to proceed with on-campus day despite the rest of campus being closed? For perspective, TSU told their pharmacy students that they won't have on-campus day tomorrow and that was at noon today.

These pharmacy schools are like pill mills. They don't care for their students, all they care about is money. No quality, only quantity. This needs to stop.

I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 153
Now if the students' safety was so "valuable" to the faculty members, why did they encourage them to proceed with on-campus day despite the rest of campus being closed? For perspective, TSU told their pharmacy students that they won't have on-campus day tomorrow and that was at noon today.

I'll play the devils advocate:

For the same reason I've had to go to work in the Midwest despite a tornado warning being issued. Now, when closely monitored, it can turn 2 states over or drive on through civilians paths. Once the timing and stats go through though, a last second cancellation (ie the day before) would be in order.

I was their as well with past hurricanes in southern texas and was fortunate to have missed it. If everyone shuts down schooling every time it rains you'd never graduate right?

Now to play your side of the coin:

If I was doing my APPEs and this turn of events were happening, I would contact my preceptor and let them know in advance due to my location and severity of the day, I wouldn't be making it in. Same for mandated school attendance. If students didn't show up I doubt the program would reprimand them due to this unfortunate circumstance. Come back on here though if someone does get punished for watching their life...That'd be a story I doubt any program would want to be involved in.

To that, stay safe and I hope the best for everyone out there.

I'll play the devils advocate:

For the same reason I've had to go to work in the Midwest despite a tornado warning being issued. Now, when closely monitored, it can turn 2 states over or drive on through civilians paths. Once the timing and stats go through though, a last second cancellation (ie the day before) would be in order.

I was their as well with past hurricanes in southern texas and was fortunate to have missed it. If everyone shuts down schooling every time it rains you'd never graduate right?

Now to play your side of the coin:

If I was doing my APPEs and this turn of events were happening, I would contact my preceptor and let them know in advance due to my location and severity of the day, I wouldn't be making it in. Same for mandated school attendance. If students didn't show up I doubt the program would reprimand them due to this unfortunate circumstance. Come back on here though if someone does get punished for watching their life...That'd be a story I doubt any program would want to be involved in.

To that, stay safe and I hope the best for everyone out there.

I agree with both stances. I understand people have to work especially since we are in healthcare. Can’t deny that.

But when it comes to a pointless day such as on-campus day where students sit there for an entire 8-9 hours doing things that aren’t helping them, and still have to come in, that’s what pisses me off.

Not only that, they should know better when they see houses flooding and people left stranded on roads. Those aren’t conditions where you’d encourage students to go out of their way just for on-campus day.

These people at our school are two-faced. All they care about is money and validation. They aren’t looking out for our wellbeing.

I guess people who apply here or already in the program will learn quickly of how corrupt it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
But when it comes to a pointless day such as on-campus day where students sit there for an entire 8-9 hours doing things that aren’t helping them, and still have to come in, that’s what pisses me off.

Not only that, they should know better when they see houses flooding and people left stranded on roads. Those aren’t conditions where you’d encourage students to go out of their way just for on-campus day.

Although the school has an abiding contract to provide specific tools of education (despite how useless some may seem), I do agree that the "unwritten law" of safety of the faculty and students should always take precedence. I am not currently their to understand what reasoning or justification there was to not close the doors when the rest of the campus has (unless your program is separate and located off campus like mine is) but if that was the case for me, I'd contact my dean or faculty of student affairs and tell them I wasn't coming in due to the nature of the weather and my location. I would like to think my absence is justified enough to fall within the "unwritten law" that no punishment to my academics will be warranted.

If it was however, that'd make a good news broadcast (not at the expense of other lives being taken of course).

Yup. I actually told my friend who sent me these emails to form a group of students that are being impacted by this directly (i.e: stuck on roads, houses damaged, etc.) and contact the Houston Bar association hotline for legal consultation.

They listened to my advice and told me that they actually have a case. But then the email was sent out that it was cancelled so not sure if it’ll go through.

The UHCOP building is located directly on main campus with other buildings, not separate. Definitely a case that can be fought. I suspect they either got a whiff of a pending lawsuit or it was coincidence.

Either way, they should always put their students’ safety first. When other schools like med and dental schools in the med center and TSU announce closures for tomorrow, and UHCOP is the only one that doesn’t, something is not right.

I respect your replies though. I understand where you’re coming from

What school has an abiding contract to mandate an on-campus day, which is by no means a requirement and I never heard of any school requiring one until now.

not trying to be a dick here but people are still working during these times. Its not just your school that is cruel, the whole world is like this. Unless a mandatory evac is ordered in the area you are working in, you are still expected to come into work

not trying to be a dick here but people are still working during these times. Its not just your school that is cruel, the whole world is like this. Unless a mandatory evac is ordered in the area you are working in, you are still expected to come into work

It was a mandatory evacuation. I was working, people at the hospitals have to stay there obviously. What I’m saying is people who work can’t make it to work because the roads are literally flooded with 7-8 inches of water. So yeah, you can’t drive through water.

That’s why it’s ironic they wanted us to still “try to come” when the local news even said to stay off the roads. Lol

It was a mandatory evacuation. I was working, people at the hospitals have to stay there obviously. What I’m saying is people who work can’t make it to work because the roads are literally flooded with 7-8 inches of water. So yeah, you can’t drive through water.

That’s why it’s ironic they wanted us to still “try to come” when the local news even said to stay off the roads. Lol
Well it sounds like some of your friends made it because the roads weren't flooded and the police weren't preventing you from going. Anyway, stay safe in Texas.

No. Everyone made it to their sites because it wasn’t raining in the early morning. Storm didn’t come in until noon. Roads flooded everywhere, people were trapped. People were ordered to stay inside until waters receded but some couldn’t and had to relocate to hotels or friends.
UH is located in the heart of downtown. Roads there stay flooded most of the day and continue on.
So yeah, everyone made it to their sites but not many could go back to their homes or through downtown

No. Everyone made it to their sites because it wasn’t raining in the early morning. Storm didn’t come in until noon. Roads flooded everywhere, people were trapped. People were ordered to stay inside until waters receded but some couldn’t and had to relocate to hotels or friends.
UH is located in the heart of downtown. Roads there stay flooded most of the day and continue on.
So yeah, everyone made it to their sites but not many could go back to their homes or through downtown

exactly. This is the real world. Where people who are greedy for money want you to come in to school for their validation and satisfaction. Glad the students are getting paid a good pharmacy student salary to go to on campus day like the rest of us.

Like I said, if it wasn't cancelled I doubt the program would have dinged anybody for not showing up due to the outlier of the situation. In reality though, you are bound by a contract with the program. As soon as you signed off, they must hold their end of the bargain to provide the "syllabus" as is in exchange of your money. Now, they could close down for every warning and weather condition and still put you up for a degree but if they criteria was not met by the accreditation committee then your program loses its regional status and you lose your license.

Again, I doubt the faculty would penalize a student due to the weather. On the same token, I once had to pull 24 hour guard duty but 12 hours before be the vault tech at a clinic I was at. Jeopardizes my mental state but in the end, I signed on the dotted line.

What obligation is there to mandate a on-campus day? Since when?

That is all on the school and not an ACPE requirement.

Like I said, if it wasn't cancelled I doubt the program would have dinged anybody for not showing up due to the outlier of the situation. In reality though, you are bound by a contract with the program. As soon as you signed off, they must hold their end of the bargain to provide the "syllabus" as is in exchange of your money. Now, they could close down for every warning and weather condition and still put you up for a degree but if they criteria was not met by the accreditation committee then your program loses its regional status and you lose your license.

Again, I doubt the faculty would penalize a student due to the weather. On the same token, I once had to pull 24 hour guard duty but 12 hours before be the vault tech at a clinic I was at. Jeopardizes my mental state but in the end, I signed on the dotted line.
24 hour? guard duty....hopefully a warm spot was within reach'''did you present wazoo?