Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time to start this thread for the new cycle of applicants! Feel free to ask questions, make comments, or vent!
Here're similar threads from previous years for a bounty of information.
Class of 2012
Class of 2011
Class of 2010
Class of 2009
Class of 2008

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! There's already a thread here. I was wondering about that. It's still too early in the cycle to have made a final decision, but as there's a chance I might end up in Houston next year (accepted for 2013), I just wanted to say hello.

:hello:

Ya don't have to have made your final decision to post in this thread! This is also for discussion and for questions. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya don't have to have made your final decision to post in this thread! This is also for discussion and for questions. ;)

Oh yay! Awesome :) I really liked Baylor when I visited...everyone was extraordinarily kind and the students seemed so proud of the school and the unique curriculum. :D

Actually, I do have a couple of questions, if you or any other Baylor students would be kind enough (or have time!) to answer :oops:. They are all related to state residency status:

1. Would Baylor accept a request to defer based a year on wanting to be a Texas resident before starting?
2. When should I start asking Baylor questions about changing my residency status?
3. Do I actually have to buy property in TX to indicate that I want to be Texas resident or can I just rent an apartment :oops:? I am unfortunately not terribly wealthy...so buying is perhaps not a reasonable option.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: NICE! --> You're from Florida, too! Yay!

Not a Baylor student anymore, sadly - I love the school though, and talk about it (perhaps too proudly?) at my new home in Nashville.

1) I think that it'd be tough to convince them to give you a year off to specifically get residency status. However, they are pretty generous in terms of the leeway they give for deferrals. As long as they're convinced you're not just stringing them along hoping to re-apply, if you can come up with a reason to defer that oh just by the way would get you Texas residency...

2) Most students are set up with the office in charge of all of that on Day 1, because they want to maximize the money they are getting from the state of Texas. Certainly if you're fairly sure about Baylor, you can start talking to this office earlier.

3) Most people buy property. I think it's the easiest way, and given the growth in the Medical Center area, it's probably as safe a bet as real estate will be. I actually held on to my townhouse for investment reasons. And with interest rates as low as they are now, and you being as safe as risk as there is in consumer loans, young doctor-to-be... you may find that you will pay less in mortgage than you would in rent. The other ways to get Texas residency are to work 12 straight months in full-time employment in the state of Texas (i.e. you can't be a student or work part-time) OR to be married to a Texas resident. Err, please don't do the last one just to get residency... :p

Hope you join the Baylor family. I'm busy but I always love to recruit folks to the school and the medical center - one of the absolute very best places to get a medical education in the world.

Heh, yeah, a "marriage of convenience" is not quite what I'm looking for.

Good to know about mortgage rates vs rental rates...:thumbup: I appreciate the advice.

Thank you very much Baylor Lion. I love the enthusiasm Baylor students have for their school :D:D:D.

What's this, guys? How can the class thread for such an awesome school languish here at the bottom of the page?

I KNOW there are a few more lucky people out there who've heard from Baylor... cmon, don't be shy :)

What's this, guys? How can the class thread for such an awesome school languish here at the bottom of the page?

I KNOW there are a few more lucky people out there who've heard from Baylor... cmon, don't be shy :)

I know! I was like where are all the other acceptees!?!? :D

Yay for the Baylor thread party!

Are you living anywhere near Houston, GoSpurs?

Kinda, I'm in San Antonio; I guess that's as close as you're going to get for "close" in Texas :p Where are you?

Also, about how long did it take for the formal acceptance package to come in the mail? I feel really hesitant to tell anyone I got in until I've got something physically in my hands to prove I wasn't just dreaming!

Wow, congrats Spurs... You've got a great app and deserve it!

Ok, I'll stop lurking. I was accepted to BCM next year and I'm pretty excited about it! :)

GoSpurs - I was the same way. I got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday, and I live in Waco. They might have taken a few days to get them out, else the USPS is just excruciatingly slow.

Ok, I'll stop lurking. I was accepted to BCM next year and I'm pretty excited about it! :)

GoSpurs - I was the same way. I got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday, and I live in Waco. They might have taken a few days to get them out, else the USPS is just excruciatingly slow.

Hehe I'm thinking the latter :p I shot BCM an email, and they say they mailed my letter this morning, so with any luck I'm hoping to see something in my mail maybe Monday or Tuesday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Spurs...Do you think you're going to end up at BCM or are you entertaining other options?

Thanks Spurs...Do you think you're going to end up at BCM or are you entertaining other options?

It'll definitely be BCM or UT Southwestern. I have really strong ties to UT Southwestern (done research there for two summers), and I love their research prowess. But then again, despite how much I love Parkland, like everyone else, I was blown away by the TMC, and I love the condensed curriculum at Baylor. It's almost definitely down to those two, and throughout this entire process I've always told myself that I won't decide on a "favorite" between the two unless it absolutely comes down to me getting to make the choice, as I didn't want to get my hopes up! :) I love UTMB and El Paso, and it's painful to say goodbye to San Antonio at least for a while, and honestly every single school in Texas I came away impressed by... but those two schools are just the best fits for me as far as I'm concerned. As soon as I get the official letter in the mail, I'll probably decline my other offers and withdraw from all my other schools except UT Southwestern, and maybe Harvard.

Then again, seeing as I don't have anything from UTSW at the moment, right now my decision seems pretty easy :)

Hehe I'm thinking the latter :p I shot BCM an email, and they say they mailed my letter this morning, so with any luck I'm hoping to see something in my mail maybe Monday or Tuesday!

Congrats on being accepted GoSpursGo! I received my letter within a week of getting the call from Dr. Greenberg....probably something like 5 business days...so you should get it pretty soon.

Aah. Sorry I left. Yeah, Spurs, I don't entirely remember how long it took me to get the letter. I think it was longer than 5 days for me, but then again, I'm in Florida.

Woohoo! Go Baylor! Does Baylor have a mascot or school colors?

Aah. Sorry I left. Yeah, Spurs, I don't entirely remember how long it took me to get the letter. I think it was longer than 5 days for me, but then again, I'm in Florida.

Woohoo! Go Baylor! Does Baylor have a mascot or school colors?

Well, the undergrad in Waco is the Bears, but they're not technically affiliated with them. If they merge with Rice, I guess they would be the Owls. I think colors are blue and white.

Well, the undergrad in Waco is the Bears, but they're not technically affiliated with them. If they merge with Rice, I guess they would be the Owls. I think colors are blue and white.

Good to know, Spurs, good to know.

Hey guys - I wanted to stop by and say hello - I got in yesterday and Baylor is definitely one of my top choices!

Do you know if there is any kind of second look weekend for Baylor? I dont think the mentioned it on the website, but did something come with the acceptance letters?

This is so exciting!

Hey guys - I wanted to stop by and say hello - I got in yesterday and Baylor is definitely one of my top choices!

Do you know if there is any kind of second look weekend for Baylor? I dont think the mentioned it on the website, but did something come with the acceptance letters?

This is so exciting!

There is a second look weekend in May. You'll hear more about it as that time nears.

Thanks Jolie - sounds great!

By the way - what do you guys (especially current students) think about the potential Rice/Baylor affiliation?

If a student is interested in a dual degree like MD/MPH or MD/MBA, do they have to go through the Baylor-sponsored program or can they apply out for a 1 yr MBA or MPH at another school b/w 3rd/4th yr? Does Baylor usually accomodate for this?

I have a couple questions for current BCM students: 1) I am told there is a $3000 allocation for incoming students to purchase laptops. Does this come as some part of a grant/scholarship or loan? and 2) How helpful is a tablet pc for your classes? As it is now in college, the majority of my teachers have ppt slides so I'm pretty used to printing them out before hand and making notations on them during lectures. How common are ppt lectures at BCM? Thanks a lot!

To answer the last few questions:

1. Baylor's MD/MPH or MD/MBA programs are probably pretty flexible and you can usually defer a year of study to complete another degree. I'd call and ask, though, if you really wanted to apply to another school outside the pre-planned dual degree programs!

2. Yes, there is a computer allowance in your total tuition package for first years only. I'm not sure how much it is, but $3000 sounds approximately correct. When you choose your loans and lenders, you can choose how much money you'd like to receive, and you can either take that extra computer money or turn it down. I've heard it is not available after the first year.

3. I think I've seen a few students with tablet PCs, so I'm sure they're useful for something if you like them! Yes, practically every single lecture we have (so far) is done in powerpoint and most of the time the lecture is available for download/printing/whatever before class. I'd say most of us choose to download the powerpoint and write our notes underneath each slide during the lecture, but a big group of people also print the lectures out in the morning and take notes on paper. However, sometimes the lecture isn't put online until minutes before class, so the paper-people tend to be out of luck every once in a while....

Hope that helped! :)

I know people (4th yrs and recent grads) who got an MPH at Hopkins, another MPH from Harvard (in 1 year!), and London School of something or rather.

So yes, flexibility is the order of the day.

I don't know anyone who got an MBA somewhere else, but I don't see why they would frown on it.

I just got the phone call yesterday evening and spent the snowy Houston night contemplating whether it was a dream. :laugh:

One of my friends from undergrad who's now an MSTP at BCM was kind enough to share some information with me regarding lodging. Do any of you current students have information regarding Greenbriar/Lanesborough?

I'm looking for the following.

a.) living alone
b.) as close to campus as possible (ie, light-rail accessible apartments)
c.) CHEAP! .... but no roach motel.

Haha, or let me ask it another way - are there any places to avoid?

Do we get confirmation that they received our acceptance of the offer of acceptance or whatever you call that sheet we had to sign and return?

Thanks

i sent it about a week or so ago, and nothing yet. By the way - who did you send that sheet to?

I sent mine over Thanksgiving Break. I looked back on the interview invitation to find the address they wanted us to send the picture and forms to. I figured with that address, it'll end up somewhere in the admissions office.

Do we get confirmation that they received our acceptance of the offer of acceptance or whatever you call that sheet we had to sign and return?

Thanks

Yeah, eventually you get a short confirmation from Lloyd Michael in the mail. It took a week or two to get it. However, you do get a Baylor College of Medicine bumper sticker with the letter! :)

Yeah, eventually you get a short confirmation from Lloyd Michael in the mail. It took a week or two to get it. However, you do get a Baylor College of Medicine bumper sticker with the letter! :)

SWEET!

I sent my confirmation to Dr. Greenberg..hopefully it gets to the right place.

I needed an opinion from current students. I've lived in Houston for practically my entire life, but relative to BCM, my home is 45 minutes to an hour away (depending on traffic). Is it worth spending money to purchase an apartment/condo close to BCM? I'd be saving thousands of dollars a year (even counting the gas expense) by staying at home. Plus, the reviews I've read on the apartments like Greenbriar and Lanesborough aren't too convincing. :(

What do you think?

I needed an opinion from current students. I've lived in Houston for practically my entire life, but relative to BCM, my home is 45 minutes to an hour away (depending on traffic). Is it worth spending money to purchase an apartment/condo close to BCM? I'd be saving thousands of dollars a year (even counting the gas expense) by staying at home. Plus, the reviews I've read on the apartments like Greenbriar and Lanesborough aren't too convincing. :(

What do you think?

Well, that depends. For one, assuming classes start at a normal time (say 8 in the morning), you are going to face rush hour, so double your commuting time at least. I think the only way this could work would be (1) if you don't mind leaving early (say 5:45 am everyday) (2) you could find a way to get on the HOV or take a tollway in (perhaps Westpark? not sure where you live) or (3) you can take a bus to and from the medical center so you can study on the bus.

I too am from Houston, and I am pretty much in the same situation as you. My relatives live about 35 minutes away by "normal" traffic standards. I am going to get an apartment. After a long day of studying, the last thing I would want to do is sit in rush hour. Just imagine being stuck in traffic on the way to an exam... Just my two cents.

What do you think?

I faced a similar option when my family moved close to Houston. I decided to stay in my apt close to the medical center.

Besides the commuting time for class, there would also be the time to come back for meetings in the evenings, or driving in to study anatomy on the weekends. Also, living at home has added distractions that may make it difficult to study.

If you think it would be worth it to save the money, you can always try staying home for a month or so, and if it doesn't work out try to get an apt at that point.

Anyone know the UT apartments are worth it?

EDIT: Also, there's no rush to send in the acceptance of acceptance thing, right? I'm pretty sure I'm headed to BCM, but I guess I want to make sure I know everything before I send off $300.

Also, there's no rush to send in the acceptance of acceptance thing, right? I'm pretty sure I'm headed to BCM, but I guess I want to make sure I know everything before I send off $300.

My understanding was that the piece of paper could be sent in whenever and was non-binding. I thought that the $300 could be sent in later when you were sure.

Anyone know for sure?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the deposit is refundable until April 15, but I cannot remember where (maybe the acceptance letter? or in the interview packet/view book?). I would acknowledge the invitation because medical schools can rescind offers if you don't respond quickly enough. (Note, they can do it but I haven't ever heard this happening to anyone, so...)

EDIT: In the viewbook (page 22), it says that "Entering students must submit a tuition deposit of $300 by May 15 to hold their place in the class. Deposits submitted before April 15 are refundable."

Last edited:
For those who grew up in H-town like me,

I'd say you should also consider what you'll do in the 2nd 1/2 of med school--the clinics. Getting out at 11PM and driving 45 minutes home, only to wake up again at 4:30 to get back to the hospital by 5:45 is not gonna be too fun. That won't happen everyday, but if you live that far, it may limit your study time and down time because you're driving so much.

So if you wanna buy a condo, might be a good time to do it when you're a 1st year--and in this depressed real estate market if you can--to maximize appreciation and value when you sell it later on.

Plus you might stay here for residency too ;)

Hi guys,

So Baylor is among my top choices and I realized that I would only have two times to look for apartments: this winter break or in the summer (second look is supposedly in early May, so it would be during finals..).

It seems really early to look for apartments, but I was talking to the student who hosted me and he said that he did the same thing. So I think I will drive to Houston this break and look at apartments so that I am sure to get a decent one before the masses come to claim all of the good ones... Do you know if BCM will be able to help me in my search this early? (I think I read something about apartment locators?) Also - any suggestions as to which appts to see?

Some of my friends at BCM mentioned Lanesborough and Greenbriar apartments being popular choices, since both complexes have light rail Metro access. They're a hop-skip-and-jump away from campus which is an absolute must. I'm going there tomorrow to tour both of them, so I'll let you know what I thought! :)

Easy MetroRail Access:
Lanesborough (most popular)
The Greenbriar (2nd most popular?)
Archstone Medical Center
Valencia (condos)
Some Midtown/Downtown lofts, etc.

Easy Metro Bus Access
"Condoland"
Scotland Yard

Other (may have own shuttle, or need to transfer bus/rail, etc.)
7575 Kirby (condos)
Providence Kirby
Brompton: various complexes on this street
Camden Vanderbilt
Museum District area (some are easy rail access, some aren't)

uh-oh. I never got a confirmation...:oops:

Guess who's calling Baylor tomorrow?

Does anyone know when FAFSA will open up for the 2009-2010 school year?

I believe it is Jan. 1st, but not positive.

By the way - how did your trip to BCM go? Any words of wisdom re: apartments?