Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After reading a lot of online apartment reviews and actually visiting the apartments myself, I still wasn't convinced that I should get one - if I absolutely had to pick, it would be the Lanesborough apartments only because of their proximity to BCM, relatively nice rooms, and good pricing. I'll be commuting from home for the first 18 months. In fact, this morning was the first time I "simulated" a real school day driving experience. It took me 50 minutes to get to BCM in the traffic, and 40 minutes to get home. This is very comparable to my undergrad commuting.

Also, this is more of a personal thing, but I found that the 45 or so minutes I spend driving to and from school gives me a chance to unwind and think about something entirely different from class. Listening to some music, drop-topping the convertible, etc. are a native Houstonian's ways of relaxing :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, I have my interview early next yr....and tips/advice apart from the usuals???

Members don't see this ad :)
Be yourself. To have received an interview offer from BCM is to know that you're going to get into medical school *somewhere* (assuming you applied to more than one school, heh). If you're not accustomed to the Texas medical center, plan on getting to your interview early "just in case" you get lost. But as far as the interview goes, it was probably my least stressful one. Then again it was my last interview too, so I had enough practice. That's not the point. :laugh: You're going to love it! Best of luck!

Guys, I have my interview early next yr....and tips/advice apart from the usuals???

This is a bit "usual," but I think it applies even moreso to Baylor than maybe some other schools- stress what makes you unique, even if (maybe especially) they are life experiences outside of medicine. I'd say we talked for a good 5-10 minutes in one of my interviews about my taekwondo lessons and a few other non-med ECs. At the end, my interviewer specifically said something to the effect of, "we like students who have interests/experiences outside of medicine."

Also, from feedback I've heard from other interviewees, there are some interviewers at BCM who really LOVE to ask ethical questions (I got a couple myself, but it was really just 2-3, and it was some softballs like "what would you do if you accidentally got an answer key to all the questions on an exam"- but from what I've heard, some other interviewers can really grill you). Be ready for a few stock ethical dilemmas, and hopefully they'll guide your answers to some of the more off-the-wall ones; just pick an answer if there isn't a clear "right" answer, and stick to it.

Thanks guys. One more thing...where did ya'll park when u went to the interview? I hear it cld be a nightmare..

Thanks guys. One more thing...where did ya'll park when u went to the interview? I hear it cld be a nightmare..

Texas Medical Center (TMC) Parking Garage 4 is very close to BCM and the facility where you will spend most of your time. Most people parked there during my interview. As you approach the Roy and Lillie Cullen Building (as in this picture: http://rk.md/photos/visiting-bcm/?photo=5 ) you'll make a left turn at the stop sign. Drive about 30 seconds. You'll pass the DeBakey Museum (http://rk.md/photos/visiting-bcm/?photo=8#photo) on your right. Keep driving a few more seconds and you'll see TMC Garage 4 on your right.

As far as traffic, well, it's Houston. =) The TMC is always under construction, so driving is a bit hectic in the area. Make sure you know where you're going ahead of time (if you're already in the area the day before your interview, swing by and take a look). This will save you from headaches on your interview day.

Try staying with a student host. Made Houston traffic a complete non-issue, and I just rode the Metro in from their apartment in the morning.

I stayed at a hotel right near the TMC and it had a shuttle that dropped us off right in front of the interview building. It was really convenient.

And the best part: it had free breakfast.

This is a bit "usual," but I think it applies even moreso to Baylor than maybe some other schools- stress what makes you unique, even if (maybe especially) they are life experiences outside of medicine.

Yeah, I think this was my downfall during my interview, I was trying to be too casual and humble that I forgot to sell myself. Spurs makes a good point.

For those of us who've gotten in, I've posted some Block 1 notes from a current MS1 at BCM. These notes are password protected, so leave a comment on my website, and you'll be given a cookie (aka, the password). :)

http://rk.md/downloads/bcm-work/

Seriously, DO NOT STUDY. :thumbdown:

Enjoy the time you have until school starts. Block 1 is nothing earth shattering that requires studying up ahead of time. You'll be fine. There will be plenty of time to see what works and adjust to pace of material.

After reading a lot of online apartment reviews and actually visiting the apartments myself, I still wasn't convinced that I should get one - if I absolutely had to pick, it would be the Lanesborough apartments only because of their proximity to BCM, relatively nice rooms, and good pricing. I'll be commuting from home for the first 18 months. In fact, this morning was the first time I "simulated" a real school day driving experience. It took me 50 minutes to get to BCM in the traffic, and 40 minutes to get home. This is very comparable to my undergrad commuting.

Also, this is more of a personal thing, but I found that the 45 or so minutes I spend driving to and from school gives me a chance to unwind and think about something entirely different from class. Listening to some music, drop-topping the convertible, etc. are a native Houstonian's ways of relaxing :laugh:

Just FYI, I have several friends that live in the Lanesborough and there have been some issues over there since they moved in earlier this fall: cars stolen, slow repairs following hurricane Ike, inconsiderate management in dealing with apt problems, safety.

A lot of people move in there, but just beware.

Members don't see this ad :)
for people looking for housing near the med center, i would definitely look to the north. i think it's a little bit more expensive, but in my experience it is a lot safer. i used to live in archstone, just south of the med center on the rail, and i think in the year i was there a student was shot in the back, several apartments got broken into over christmas, and someone got held up at gunpoint. my other friend, who lived in a condo near "condo land" had his bike stolen from his backyard. to top it all off, i was just given a security brief at the hospital that there were about 5-6 incidences of armed robberies in the reliant/condo land area...some of them in broad daylight. just my two cents. i think the neighborhoods in the museum district are safer (although probably a bit more expensive).

Well I'm ready to fill out my FAFSA form tomorrow! My family's gross income is significant (500K+) due to our small business ventures, and the net income is also relatively high. I don't expect to receive much help from my parents (as I have my own investments in business and stocks), but I was wondering how I would go about registering for scholarships (not loans) based on things like merit or service.

if you're asking about institutional scholarships, you don't really apply for them. there is an office that decides on those and you will be notified if you get one.

if you're asking about institutional scholarships, you don't really apply for them. there is an office that decides on those and you will be notified if you get one.

Do you know when they'll notify applicants?

Hi guys - has anyone other than Doctura received confirmation of their acceptance (and the bumper sticker!)?

*sigh* I guess I've got to get moving on that FAFSA soon myself, but I sure am dragging my feet on it... I hardly have the heart to ask my dad to jump into doing his taxes this early :(

In other news, it looks like I might make a trip to Houston Tuesday to check out the apartments. Anyone know when the waitlist for the UT apartments starts forming? They haven't replied to any of my emails.

Is UT apt your first choice?

I'm still debating over greenbriar or lanesborough...

The only people I know who are at Greenbriar are those who were too late to get into Lanesborough. The price per square foot is much better at the latter. Consequently, it's the most popular place to live.

...now I feel kinda bad I'm commuting from home. With all my classmates living a few hundred feet from each other, you're going to have all the "parties" without me. :laugh:

Best of luck finding a place that suits you, buddy!

Idunno, it seems to be the most obvious, but I have to admit I'm just kinda flailing around here; UT apt is the only one I've seen, and only because they took us there on our UTH interview, but it looked pretty good, I suppose.

Other than that, it seems like Greenbriar and Lanesborough are the other two main places that people keep mentioning, so I'll drop in to look at them... any other places anyone can recommend I drop by while I'm in town?

Has anyone who interviewed on 12/12 found out anything acceptance wise?

Idunno, it seems to be the most obvious, but I have to admit I'm just kinda flailing around here; UT apt is the only one I've seen, and only because they took us there on our UTH interview, but it looked pretty good, I suppose.

Other than that, it seems like Greenbriar and Lanesborough are the other two main places that people keep mentioning, so I'll drop in to look at them... any other places anyone can recommend I drop by while I'm in town?

BCM 4th year here. If you contact one of the apartment locator services they can take you to all the places where BCM students usually look. Its a free service, but don't let them push you into a lease b/c they work off commission. Lanesborough and Greenbriar are the big two. Archstone Med Center also has some students. On the cheaper side is Scotland Yard and 2121 Holly Hall. You can also check out Camden Yards Vanderbilt, and some others on Holly Hall on the eastern side of Almeada. If you pockets are a little deeper, there are some houses in Rice Village (about a 10-15 min walk) that some students share (mainly b/c of price). Finally, there are a lot of rental properties in Condoland, but you have do a bit more investigating to find them. The website www.har.com is a good place to look for rentals. Hope this helps.

The only people I know who are at Greenbriar are those who were too late to get into Lanesborough. The price per square foot is much better at the latter. Consequently, it's the most popular place to live.

...now I feel kinda bad I'm commuting from home. With all my classmates living a few hundred feet from each other, you're going to have all the "parties" without me. :laugh:

Best of luck finding a place that suits you, buddy!

Greenbriar has better management and is a much smaller community. Car break-ins and the like occur less commonly as well because the complex is not directly at the rail stop.

I chose Greenbriar and am going to live here again next year.

Last edited:
BCM 4th year here. If you contact one of the apartment locator services they can take you to all the places where BCM students usually look. Its a free service, but don't let them push you into a lease b/c they work off commission. Lanesborough and Greenbriar are the big two. Archstone Med Center also has some students. On the cheaper side is Scotland Yard and 2121 Holly Hall. You can also check out Camden Yards Vanderbilt, and some others on Holly Hall on the eastern side of Almeada. If you pockets are a little deeper, there are some houses in Rice Village (about a 10-15 min walk) that some students share (mainly b/c of price). Finally, there are a lot of rental properties in Condoland, but you have do a bit more investigating to find them. The website www.har.com is a good place to look for rentals. Hope this helps.

I know a few people that live at Versailles Park, Amli Med Center, the Valencia, and City Plaza Condos.

Just a few more options to look at. . .

Hey guys,
Are we supposed to send in Fall transcripts now?

I sent mine!

I visited Lanesborough today and the leasing office people weren't so nice, which makes me not want to live there. And also, they said that the price of the apts changes every month... ?! :/

Greenbriar, however, seemed cozier and safer. Still, the rooms weren't that nicer than lanesborough.

To any current BCM students, can you explain what the computer policy is? We get $3,000 in our first year? Is this out of our tuition, and if so, if we choose NOT to use it, does that mean we get $3000 knocked off our first year's tuition?

To any current BCM students, can you explain what the computer policy is? We get $3,000 in our first year? Is this out of our tuition, and if so, if we choose NOT to use it, does that mean we get $3000 knocked off our first year's tuition?

I can't remember exactly how much is budgeted, but there is a certain amount that is allowed for you to purchase your own computer. It's not part of tuition, as Baylor doesn't distribute computers.

You can always turn down this amount of money. It would come out of your rebate check for living expenses.

...we get a rebate check for living expenses? What if we're commuting? :)

There's a certain budget that's calculated for all students for tuition and living expenses. This is the total amount that you can take out in federal loans. It's up to you to decide how much of the money budgeted for living expenses you want to take.

From what I understand, the funding goes through the school who takes out what they need for tuition and fees. Then, a check is issued to you for the rest of the loan money.

There's a certain budget that's calculated for all students for tuition and living expenses. This is the total amount that you can take out in federal loans. It's up to you to decide how much of the money budgeted for living expenses you want to take.

From what I understand, the funding goes through the school who takes out what they need for tuition and fees. Then, a check is issued to you for the rest of the loan money.
yeah, that's how it works.

So I trust everyone got the big email from BCM this morning about Fin Aid, Housing, Orientation, etc... exciting times :)

Does anyone actually ever live at the Favrot Tower Apartments? It seems like the cost per floor space is pretty bad...

So I trust everyone got the big email from BCM this morning about Fin Aid, Housing, Orientation, etc... exciting times :)

Does anyone actually ever live at the Favrot Tower Apartments? It seems like the cost per floor space is pretty bad...

Housing :scared:. Am I actually going to buy a place in TX? Do I have to decide now?

*sigh*

Last edited:
Housing :scared:. Am I actually going to by a place in TX? Do I have to decide now?

*sigh*

Not now, no :) But the general feeling I got from most of the OOS people I met while interviewing is that you save a lot of money in tuition/fees in the second two years if you do buy and get your residency. Your call...

Not now, no :) But the general feeling I got from most of the OOS people I met while interviewing is that you save a lot of money in tuition/fees in the second two years if you do buy and get your residency. Your call...

OK, it looks like a list of residences that can be bought will be up by March 26th...so I guess depending on where I stand at that point, I will start looking.

OK, it looks like a list of residences that can be bought will be up by March 26th...so I guess depending on where I stand at that point, I will start looking.

By the way, all applying for Texas residency are required to buy cowboy boots and either: a) a cowboy (or in your case, cowgirl ;)) hat; or, b) a sombrero.

No seriously, it's in the state constitution!:eek:

By the way, all applying for Texas residency are required to buy cowboy boots and either: a) a cowboy (or in your case, cowgirl ;)) hat; or, b) a sombrero.

After double-checking the constitution, I've confirmed your finding! :)

However, there's an additional law which goes into effect upon entering Houston city limits. It goes something like this: "Outsiders will voluntarily revoke all support they had for 'other' NBA teams, and wholeheartedly support the Houston Rockets."

...what do you say, Spurs? ;)

After double-checking the constitution, I've confirmed your finding! :)

However, there's an additional law which goes into effect upon entering Houston city limits. It goes something like this: "Outsiders will voluntarily revoke all support they had for 'other' NBA teams, and wholeheartedly support the Houston Rockets."

...what do you say, Spurs? ;)

Well suffice to say, I probably won't be wearing my Spurs hat on a daily basis like I do here in SA :p I don't really want to get shot in condoland! However, I make no promises on "secret allegiances" :p

Well I'm in luck...I already have a sombrero! It's probably about a good foot and a half in diameter. No joke. I've had it since middle school.

Yeah, my mom thought it was a good look for me ;).

I just had a weird daydream that we were all waiting at BCM for the buses to take us to orientation but were too shy to talk to each other. When the administrator started "checking roll", he called us by our SDN aliases rather than our first and last names.

...needless to say, we all started talking afterwards. :)

Is it embarrassing that I don't have either of those things, and I have lived in Texas since I was I was in 4th grade? I will have to remedy this.

Is it embarrassing that I don't have either of those things, and I have lived in Texas since I was I was in 4th grade? I will have to remedy this.

Haha it's ok, I don't think "embarrassing" is necessarily the right word... regardless, if you're living in Texas I'm sure you'll have no problem getting one in the next six months :)

pianola said:
Well I'm in luck...I already have a sombrero! It's probably about a good foot and a half in diameter. No joke. I've had it since middle school.

Yeah, my mom thought it was a good look for me ;).

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I know this was a point of concern several posts ago, but to address it, I received a letter from BCM this morning stating that they received my payment for $300 to hold my place in the class.

They sent it with a Baylor College of Medicine window sticker too! :)