Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EDIT: TOP

pepsi-cola-sign-003.jpg

I know this was a point of concern several posts ago, but to address it, I received a letter from BCM this morning stating that they received my payment for $300 to hold my place in the class.

They sent it with a Baylor College of Medicine window sticker too! :)

Oh that might be why. I still haven't sent a deposit because they don't technically require it until May.

Members don't see this ad.

So I trust everyone got the big email from BCM this morning about Fin Aid, Housing, Orientation, etc... exciting times :)

Does anyone actually ever live at the Favrot Tower Apartments? It seems like the cost per floor space is pretty bad...

I know a couple students that live there. If convenience is big for you, it's a five minute walk to class.

Regarding the towers, some of us do live there, but it's insanely expensive. Very convenient, though. Housing is nicer and cheaper just 1 or 2 miles south where most of the students live and you can take the bus in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

For those who commute to the TMC or are planning to, what are you going to do about parking? Do you pay $10 every day? That's a little too much spending. Are there monthly plans or anything else? Thank you.

Hello!

For those who commute to the TMC or are planning to, what are you going to do about parking? Do you pay $10 every day? That's a little too much spending. Are there monthly plans or anything else? Thank you.

I think a lot of people stop by at the nearest bus station and ride in.

Hello!

I'll be commuting from the Katy/Sugarland area for my pre-clinicals, so you're not alone. :) There's actually a place on the TMC's website dedicated to "direct pay contract parkers", which we will both be. http://www.texmedctr.tmc.edu/root/en/Visiting/Parking/ContractParking/ContractParking.htm

I called the number and the lady was very nice and helpful. She said that around June, I should call and reserve a parking. From what I remember, there are three "levels" of parking.

1.) Cheapest - you park in an uncovered place far from campus and take a bus/light rail to school.

2.) Moderate - you have an assigned parking in Parking Garage 10

3.) Expensive - you can park in multiple garages

Cheapest--about $62/month

Moderate--dunno

Expensive--~$150/month

*rumor has it that you can also park in some street areas for free...i.e. around the museum district or on the street next to Lanesborough (but these fill up early in the morning)

Cheapest--about $62/month

Moderate--dunno

Expensive--~$150/month

*rumor has it that you can also park in some street areas for free...i.e. around the museum district or on the street next to Lanesborough (but these fill up early in the morning)

yea...those spots around lanesborough fill up really fast, like about 6:00-6:30ish...i remember parking there for ob/gyn

hey everyone

i just got my letter in the mail today :) i know this has been discussed before but i wasn't clear so i thought i'd just ask again anyway. do we send in the confirmation letter without the cheque now, then send the cheque when we're 100% positive we're going? or should we wait to send the letter with the cheque?

hey everyone

i just got my letter in the mail today :) i know this has been discussed before but i wasn't clear so i thought i'd just ask again anyway. do we send in the confirmation letter without the cheque now, then send the cheque when we're 100% positive we're going? or should we wait to send the letter with the cheque?

You can do either. I waited till I was pretty sure I was going (while still making sure I met the deadline.) However, the deposit is refundable up to a certain date, so if you changed your mind before that deadline you'd be fine.

You can do either. I waited till I was pretty sure I was going (while still making sure I met the deadline.) However, the deposit is refundable up to a certain date, so if you changed your mind before that deadline you'd be fine.

i didn't have the money when i got my letter, so i didn't send my check until the last moment either even though i accepted my acceptance immediately.

What is the address that BCM wants your transcripts sent to? Thanks!

On a related note, how did you guys know to send in your transcripts? Did it say in the acceptance letter? Or did you just know to do it? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
cool thanks everyone :)

Doctura, the transcript info is in the acceptance letter.

I'm assuming we wait until the final transcripts are ready (ie, after graduation), right? Maybe that's a silly question....but I don't want to mess anything up at this point, haha!

Hi guys,

I was wondering if current students could comment on how people typically take notes in class (I am contemplating buying a new computer).

Do professors typically have powerpoint lectures? If so, are they available online for download?

I understand that you have a syllabus of some sort that has all sorts of notes in it (is this available online / is it downloadable?) Do students typically take notes on the powerpoints during class, or is this all provided on the syllabus (ie students just highlight relevant portions,etc)?

Lastly - in yrs 2.5-4, do students have a use for a computer (or tablet) when not at home?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I was wondering if current students could comment on how people typically take notes in class (I am contemplating buying a computer).

Do professors typically have powerpoint lectures? If so, are they available online for download?

I understand that you have a syllabus of some sort that has all sorts of notes in it (is this available online / is it downloadable?) Do students typically take notes on the powerpoints during class, or is this all provided on the syllabus (ie students just highlight relevant portions,etc)?

Lastly - in yrs 2.5-4, do students have a use for a computer (or tablet) when not at home?

Thanks!

Just about everybody uses laptops for notes in class (maybe 5 or so folks write notes). I think the real problem with printing out the slides would be all the paper. 30-50 slides/lecture x 16 lectures/week=a lot of paper and ink.

Except for our histology professor, just about everybody uses powerpoints to lecture. We can download these before the lecture (and type notes on the slides or in the notes portion).

For histology, Dr. Kretzer posts his notes online and then he hands out pictures in class if they are helpful. For histology lab, we load a digitized slide set to our laptops to use during the lab.

We don't have a syllabus any more (they were cancelled a couple years ago). A couple professors post notes online, like in histology, but most just give us the powerpoints and assign textbook reading. Some old copies of the syllabus are floating around to study from, but I haven't used them.

Sorry, I don't know much about clinical years.

Just about everybody uses laptops for notes in class (maybe 5 or so folks write notes). I think the real problem with printing out the slides would be all the paper. 30-50 slides/lecture x 16 lectures/week=a lot of paper and ink.

Except for our histology professor, just about everybody uses powerpoints to lecture. We can download these before the lecture (and type notes on the slides or in the notes portion).

For histology, Dr. Kretzer posts his notes online and then he hands out pictures in class if they are helpful. For histology lab, we load a digitized slide set to our laptops to use during the lab.

We don't have a syllabus any more (they were cancelled a couple years ago). A couple professors post notes online, like in histology, but most just give us the powerpoints and assign textbook reading. Some old copies of the syllabus are floating around to study from, but I haven't used them.

Sorry, I don't know much about clinical years.

this^^

I think it'd be impossible to make it through without a computer. Most people work electronically and even if you don't study off electronic powerpoints, you'd be highly inconvenienced when you had to turn in assignments and look up stuff without one.

hey guys, new to SDN and just got into baylor last week...wondering if you guys had heard about a bit of (admittedly negative) press the schools been getting these last few months, and maybe your thoughts/latest developments...

i'm from houston, so baylor was for the better part of my life a dream school, but some stuff sounds sort of unsettling..esp. the potential Rice Baylor merger/state of the College's finances, search for a new president, new hospital construction, and teaching faculty comp after the split with Methodist...cause for concern, or will this all blow over by next year?:(

sry btw if this has already been forum'd about...would appreciate the redirection, thanks.

hey guys, new to SDN and just got into baylor last week...wondering if you guys had heard about a bit of (admittedly negative) press the schools been getting these last few months, and maybe your thoughts/latest developments...

i'm from houston, so baylor was for the better part of my life a dream school, but some stuff sounds sort of unsettling..esp. the potential Rice Baylor merger/state of the College's finances, search for a new president, new hospital construction, and teaching faculty comp after the split with Methodist...cause for concern, or will this all blow over by next year?:(
Can anyone comment about how the merger will affect the cost of tuition at Baylor? If it's no longer a state school, will it continue to be that cheap? Thanks.

It was never a state school...I doubt they would change tuition - they seem to pride themselves on their affordability.

I am a first year, but I haven't really been affected by any of the above. I think the great things about our school (the amazing students, the curriculum, TMC, etc.) won't be changing either.

The Rice/Baylor merger is actually a good thing, especially in regards to research (global).

The rest hasn't really affected students, nor do I think it will.

It was never a state school...I doubt they would change tuition - they seem to pride themselves on their affordability.
Yeah, but the whole reason they had different tuition for TX residents and had to be 70% TX residents, and I presumed the whole reason their OOS tuition could afford to be so cheap was state funding...the thing that makes Baylor stand out for me from other choices is the cost.

The school is subsidized by the State of Texas, so >70 or 75% must be Texas residents. Unless state funding changes, I doubt there will be vast changes in tuition.

So I have an interview w/ Baylor (extremely undescribable feeling)in 2 weeks, can anyone comment on how many students were interviewed w/ them? How stressful was it? Any advice?

So I have an interview w/ Baylor (extremely undescribable feeling)in 2 weeks, can anyone comment on how many students were interviewed w/ them? How stressful was it? Any advice?

I want to say there were about 50 students there at my interview (each interview is one-on-one though, of course). Both of my interviews were pretty laid-back, but I've heard others say they had interviewers who grilled them on ethical questions, so I think it just depends. I will say that my first interviewer said "Baylor likes students who come in with unusual interests" (or something to that effect), so I'd just really try to stress what makes you unique in your interview. Perhaps you should go through a couple of mock ethical questions you might be asked, not to prepare specific answers so much as to just get you used to answering difficult questions quickly and confidently- more than anything, I think you'll really help yourself if you can come across as confident (but not cocky).

Good luck!

just like the other guys have said, my Baylor interview was really laid back and definitely the most fun I've had in an actual interview so far. I heard they try to pair you with people you have something in common with (one of my interviewers went to the same school as me and worked in the same lab), so once you figure out what that is, keep the conversation going that way and it'll be super relaxed. Like Spurs said, emphasize your non-medical interests if you can.

Ask what they like to do in Houston. That's a good way to find a common interest and find out about the city at the same time (if you're not from there). And show that you are interested in having a life outside of school.

Good luck!!!! :luck: You're going to have an awesome day.

Thank you so much for all of your responses....I feel so much better. THIS HAS BEEN MY FIRST CHOICE IN FOREVER..... I just can't blow it! I can't believe they interview like 50 students on the same day???

Thank you so much for all of your responses....I feel so much better. THIS HAS BEEN MY FIRST CHOICE IN FOREVER..... I just can't blow it! I can't believe they interview like 50 students on the same day???

The best way to make sure you have the best interview is to loosen up before you go in, don't worry about blowing it! Talk to fellow interviewees and current students (a bunch of them will come in for free food and will be happy to talk to you) to help yourself relax. Focus on having fun and enjoying the day, Baylor really makes an effort to make sure that you have a good time learning about the school. And if you're enjoying yourself, it will shine through in your interviews :)

Its been pretty quiet on this front...has no one heard anything??
Have calls been going out...i'm still waiting.....

Hey dude - so I can tell you, having gone to 3 different decently-respected places (one of 'em the ol' BCM in the TMC for med school) for undergrad, med school and residency, I can tell you that no school is immune to negative press these past couple of months. I think the Rice-Baylor merger is the most brilliant idea that should've happened decades ago, and I think it will do well to improve the reputation of both schools and strengthen Baylor's position within the TMC. The split with Methodist has reached its nadir, I think - definitely so in terms of the departure of teaching faculty - the Cornell affiliation has NOT worked out, and I think if Rice and Baylor merge, you'll see a re-affiliation in the near future. Indeed, I think Dr. Traber was kicked out in part so he could be used as a scapegoat when these two initiate discussions. What I *think* should happen is that Baylor's individual private hospitals should focus on unique strengths rather than compete with each other - whether that'll happen, time will tell. But obviously Texas Heart is strongest in cards, Methodist has great strength in neurology and neurosurgery... I have to say that the disaffiliation had little impact on my life as a med student, and some good things came out of it (a much stronger affiliation with MD Anderson than existed when I was a first year, for one). Don't listen to the popular press - they thrive on sensationalism. The actual facts are rarely as interesting. One thing you should know is that all the teaching faculty who "left Baylor" remained as adjunct faculty so they could continue to teach... you guessed it... medical students. The impact, when there has been one, has been felt more among the residency programs.

Should you choose to come to Baylor, you're still the most prized assets among the trainees in the TMC - you're the one everyone wants to get their hands on to impart knowledge.

Thanks so much for that information, BaylorLion. With all the stuff going on this year in the Texas medical schools (UTSW's new grading system, UTMB's possible relocation, and BCM's post-Traber route), I guess it's about time we get our facts right and focus on what's important to us as medical students, not humble followers of the media. :)

What kind of work-study jobs does Baylor offer?

Does anyone know if it's a good idea or not?

Thanks everyone!

Sure did. :) Working on writing a brief response for a merit scholarship. Speaking of which, to apply for merit scholarships, is the FAFSA required?
Yeah I did too. I'm confused about the question, "why do you deserve any money?" Is this supposed to be another mini-essay? :(

What kind of work-study jobs does Baylor offer?

Does anyone know if it's a good idea or not?

Thanks everyone!

work study is extremely easy -- you can choose from a bunch of jobs, including manning the ERC (med school library) counter, working for alumni affairs, "volunteering" at texas children's which could involve keeping dialysis kids company, manning playrooms or holding babies in the NICU! i think you can also "volunteer" at some of the community free clinics or work at Ben Taub. all for $15/hr. seriously. easy money if you ask me. i'm doing work-study at TCH this year to offset some of my loans, since i haven't much to do as a 4th yr. :p i also did some in my second year. you only need to put in as many hours as you want to, so balancing it with school work is not a problem, except during clinical rotations.

did anyone else get that scholarship email today?

I also thought it was weird that they wanted to know if you have received scholarship offers from any other schools. I guess that could factor into how much merit aid they offer, but I'd hope that they would have their own criteria not based on other school's perceptions.

I hate to be the paranoid weasel of this group, but approximately how many words should our scholarship response be? :laugh: I was thinking of no more than half a page (~300 words) because I'm sure the BCM admins are sick of reading essays by now. :)

Also, is it safe to assume that the scholarship people have access to our applications? Rather than reiterating parts of my app, I rather just make brief references to it.

Best of luck to everyone! :)

I emailed the BCM people yesterday about the scholarship essay. Melanie in the admissions office replied and said that "The committee will have access to your application form. You may make your statement as short or as long as you wish." I agree with Rish789, I suspect that they want no more than a half a page, but who knows for sure?

Good luck everyone!

Other than this scholarship form, we only have to fill out the fafsa to be considered for financial aid right? I saw that other application form on the financial aid website and it said that it was for enrolled students and it required a username and password to log in and access it. Am I missing something?

Other than this scholarship form, we only have to fill out the fafsa to be considered for financial aid right? I saw that other application form on the financial aid website and it said that it was for enrolled students and it required a username and password to log in and access it. Am I missing something?

I was unsure about this too. You must go through the Class of 2013 link they sent us to access the BCM Financial Aid stuff for Accepted Students. There is an App and a Parent Verification Form. Among other things

...I had to call and ask :D