MAVNI program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rohit76

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Army has announced a program called MAVNI for physicians who are non-citizens.Applicant physicians must commit to at least 3 years of active duty, or six years in the Selected Reserve. There is a incentive of being eligible for the citizenship after 6 months. What would be your advice to physicians like me about this option?

Members don't see this ad.

I need some specific information and I will be really obliged if you could help me. If I am enlisted as reserve physician, how often I will have to take time off my schedule for military? Also, If I am called for active duty during this period, is there any limit on duration of it (like one year)?

Moreover, is there any criteria of eyesight for being chosen as military physician?

I need some specific information and I will be really obliged if you could help me. If I am enlisted as reserve physician, how often I will have to take time off my schedule for military? Also, If I am called for active duty during this period, is there any limit on duration of it (like one year)?

Moreover, is there any criteria of eyesight for being chosen as military physician?

I you're in the SELRES ('selected reserves'), you have to work (aka 'drill') 2 days (= 4 'drill perods') per month. That's usually done one a weekend (SAT/SUN), but not necessarily so. You can work one day here, one day there, as long as you can work it out with your CO. This amounts to 24 drilling days (= 48 drill periods) per year. You could also do all 24 days in one shot, say if you're supporting a major exercise, and be done for the year. Again, just depends on how you can work it out with your unit. And exactly what you'll be doing during these drill periods? I dunno. Really depends on your unit. You could be working in a military hospital, small clinic, or doing administrative paperwork. Maybe others can chime in here, but it would behoove you to pose this question to the unit that you'll (potentially) be joining. (This one weekend/month thing isn't trivial. Especially if you have family. So make sure you really want to do it.)

In addition, you have to do 12 days of AT (Annual training) per year. Sometimes this can be waived, but usually not.

A 'mobilization' is an involuntary recall to active duty. You have to drop your civilian life and go. How likely this is for physicians, in the SELRES, I'm not sure.

A mobilization can be anywhere from 6 - 12 months, usually. I've heard of some 14 month cases, and some 3 month cases. But usually it's less than a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you give any suggestions regarding sign-up of contract? Any precautions or pitfalls I should be aware of? Moreover, Does eyesight matter? I do wear glasses.

Thanks for your input.

Can you give any suggestions regarding sign-up of contract? Any precautions or pitfalls I should be aware of? Moreover, Does eyesight matter? I do wear glasses.

Thanks for your input.
No, just make sure you read and understand everything. Make sure you understand what's expected of you as a commissioned officer in the SELRES (i.e drilling requirements, AT, possiblity of mobs, etc etc). Retain copies for yourself of everything.

If you can, try to find out what unit you'll be joining (depends on what part of the country you're in). Get a head start in introducing yourself to the CO, to find out what you'll be doing on drill weekends, how to prepare for it, etc. The more proactive and prepared you are, the less likely that you'll be blind-sided by something.

if you're vision is correctable to 20/20 via either glasses or contacts, you should be fine.

Can somebody tell me what is the frequency and duration of deployment of selected reserve physicians in army?

Can somebody tell me what is the frequency and duration of deployment of selected reserve physicians in army?

Are you doing this just for the perk of citizenship? What's your current status? Legal resident I assume. If that's the case, you can become a citizen after (I think) 5 years of legal residency, how far away are you from that mark, and is there pressing reason that you have to become a citizen sooner than later? (I ask, b/c it seems like you're really concerned about the deployment aspect of things, you seem hesitant.)

Have you talked to a recruiter? Just of curiosity, what does he/she say about the likelihood of mobilization as a SELRES medical officer?

Dear Dr Metal,

Firstly, thanks a lot for helping me out.
I am worried about deployement duration because I do not want to stay away from them for 1 year or so. I am getting impression from you and other posts in the forum that deployment for IM physician would be around 1 year.

Would you be enlisted or an officer if you joined this program as a physician?

Would you be enlisted or an officer if you joined this program as a physician?
Here's a basic fact sheet for the program.

The text from one article reads: "Qualified doctors and nurses who enlist under MAVNI will not select an enlisted MOS; instead, they will be filling a doctor or nurse job in the Army and will eventually become commissioned officers."

Not sure what that entails. I'm wondering if that means that they enter, assist as enlisted until the 6 months is up and they can get citizenship, THEN are commissioned.

It's only for legal residents and only runs for one year. I don't know if this is a pilot, but I get the impression it's a stopgap.

??? Why do they make doctors enlist? Why not just commission them straight into the Army reserve medical corps? That's wierd.

And does this program apply to the SELRS components of the other services? (Usually these things are DOD-wide)

Well, to the original poster: Given the current state of affairs--2 ground wars in Iraq and AF, with a possible escalation in the latter--and given that doctors have tangible and needed jobs in the Army, I would say that it is likely that you'll be mobilized sometime over your 6-year committment in the SELRES (it may even happen twice or thrice). So, whatever you motiviations are for seeking early citizenship, you have to weigh this benefit against the possibility of deploying. That's totally your call, good luck with your decision. If you'd like, go talk to a recruiter, see what kind of #'s and stats they give you, come back and post here. I would think someone like notdeadyet or others on the ANG thread can QC the information to make sure you're not getting jerked around.

??? Why do they make doctors enlist? Why not just commission them straight into the Army reserve medical corps? That's wierd.
My take (and I could be wrong on this) is that they're doing it because it's a requirement to be a U.S. citizen to be commissioned as an officer. I think it's probably easier to take them in as enlisted than to rewrite the rule that all commissioned officer's are citizens. I think that would be a much bigger deal.
And does this program apply to the SELRS components of the other services? (Usually these things are DOD-wide)
Yes, this is for all the services.

My take (and I could be wrong on this) is that they're doing it because it's a requirement to be a U.S. citizen to be commissioned as an officer. I think it's probably easier to take them in as enlisted than to rewrite the rule that all commissioned officer's are citizens. I think that would be a much bigger deal.

Ahh yes, that totally makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi rohit76,
Im interested in that program too. Could you please tell me a little bit more or tell me where I can get mor information?
I appreciate

Dear Dr Metal and notdeadyet,

I am going to see recruiter soon and I will asking all the questions.
I never had any experience with military before and hence I am not familiar with the life during deployment.
Do you know whether as IM physician, I will have to go out of base to treat local population in army clinics?
Also, do I have to work as ER physician or combat medic over there at times if there is a need even if I am IM physician?
Moreover, I am not sure how risky is it to be there and how do people survive there without families for year or so.

thanks for your input

Dear Itadoc,

www.goarmy.com/info/mavni is the link.

Do you know whether as IM physician, I will have to go out of base to treat local population in army clinics?
Also, do I have to work as ER physician or combat medic over there at times if there is a need even if I am IM physician?
Moreover, I am not sure how risky is it to be there and how do people survive there without families for year or so.

Well, having NOT been there and done that, I can't really comment on what you'd be doing as a deployed IM. (I'm sure there's other internists on this forum that have deployed, who'd be better to answer your question. I'm sure it's been addressed before, so you might wanna do a search.) If I had to guess, I'd say any of the above is possible. You could be doing IM, you could be employed in an ED of FP clinic. Really just depends on the situation (when/where you are, the mission of your unit, etc etc). You could be a glorified triage nurse tending to sick call, or just working up charts all day, who knows! Again, the best thing for you to do is get in touch your future/potential CO, and pose these questions to him/her. That CO is in a much better position to answer your questions. You can always post back here for a sanity check if you like.

I do know about life in the SELRES, in general, b/c I'm in it (albeit in the Navy, and in a line unit). Regarding your concerns about deployment: Yes, it can be hard being away from family, but this is the sacrifice you gotta make. You just gotta weigh the pros/cons. Just remember one thing: your decision at this point in completely voluntary! So think long/hard about it. Make sure you're willing to make such sacrifices.

While you're deployed, my advice to you is to stay as busy as possible. If you pt volume is low, read, study (maybe in preparation for your next educational step, like a fellowship). If you're completely done w/ your training, then read up on your literature.aMaybe do some case studies if possible, publish something . . . whatever, just stay busy. Deployments aren't so bad . . . but being deployed and bored is a frickin nightmare!

anybody and everybody who is considering MAVNI.

Some facts

1. You can not get residency through this program.
2. US army would only take if you are board eligible.
3. All doctors under MAVNI would be deployed from Germany, iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Serbia, and Africa
5. Citizenship is only given after you are deployed.
6. there is no provision to give citizenship to family members, you can apply separately through USCIS.

1. You can not get residency through this program.
2. US army would only take if you are board eligible.
3. All doctors under MAVNI would be deployed from Germany, iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Serbia, and Africa
5. Citizenship is only given after you are deployed.
6. there is no provision to give citizenship to family members, you can apply separately through USCIS.
Where is this from? I'd be interested in seeing a link.

I have not met recruiter yet.
I wonder whether I should really see him after looking at deployment destination.
I would like to know whether caypab will share source of his information.

I wonder whether I should really see him after looking at deployment destination.
Rohit:

Assume that in your 3 year active duty or 6 year reserve duty that you would be activated at least once, and you would be activated for Iraq or Afghanistan. If you are not comfortable with this, do not join.

Simple as that, really...

Raj and Rohit

I have been associated with MAVNI program from the time of conception. The source of information is directly from Army's recruiting command in Fort Knox.

Hope that helps.

I'm sorry but Army physicians aren't "deployed" to Germany, they are stationed there and we have almost no presence in Africa or Serbia at the moment (JTF HOA is mostly a Navy facility). The fact that you use the wrong terminology makes the rest of your list suspect. I seriously doubt that one has to deploy before becoming a citizen. That just doesn't make sense. Deployment is variable and they want physicians who can do the job ASAP. Just don't believe this "info".

For the OP, if you join the Army, expect to spend as much as 50% of the next 6 years away from home. It probably won't be that bad, but if you go in expecting that, you won't be disappointed.

Hello everyone,

1.Does any one know how the quota of 333 for health care prof in the MAVNi program is coming along?

2.Once somebody signs the contract with the MAVNI program, do they have to participate in one weekend [ sat/sun] or 2 weekends in 2 different months, inorder to be enlisted?

Inputs appreciated.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

1.Does any one know how the quota of 333 for health care prof in the MAVNi program is coming along?

2.Once somebody signs the contract with the MAVNI program, do they have to participate in one weekend [ sat/sun] or 2 weekends in 2 different months, inorder to be enlisted?

Inputs appreciated.

Thanks

Are you suggesting the Army wants 333 docs who are not US citizens to enter the Army medical corps?

I can't see their goals being anywhere near that large.

Hi NavyFP,
In the MAVNI program for health care professionals, Physicians, Nurses, Therapists, Physician assistants are all included, to the best of my knowledge.The quoata of 333 is for health care prof all inclusive and not
exclusively for Non US citizen physicians.

Please reply if anyone knows the answer.
Once somebody signs the contract with the MAVNI program, do they have to participate in one weekend drill[ sat/sun] or 2 weekend drills in 2 different months?"

I hope to hear some replies.

Thanks,

Hi, I am a PGY-1 Resident Physician in the US. I thought about getting US citizenship quicker than hanging around with H1B visa.

When I met an US Army Sarge today, he said I cannot serve.
He said I basically had to be finished with my residency, as in if I am in Peds, had to have passed the Peds board, IM to have passed the IM boards, FM to have had passed the FM boards, etc.
Highly unlikely as first year resident.

Well, I am a US medical graduate on a visa in Residency. Sort of rare situation.

I don't know if you already have passed your IM boards in India, let's say, Army would be happy to take you thru MAVNI.

Post if you heard otherwise.

I only heard this today from one Sarge of the US Army.
I would be interested still if I heard wrong, but I guess for now, I'll go for the long route of H1B visa to Greencard to US citizenship. I think the US Army has this thought out wrong. They'll fill easier if they took people like me. Citizen incentive isn't so hot if you're already practicing and licensed with a work visa and are just waiting for your Greencard or citizenship to come in the mailbox.

They told me today that quota for health care professionals were NOT filled. I didn't ask how close they were to filling, however. Today is 7-20-09. Hope this helps.