Army MAVNI AD to HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H.C.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm an Army Future Soldier who enlisted back in March 2016 through the MAVNI program. For those not familiar with it, MAVNI was basically a pilot program which allowed F1, B1H, and DACA to enlist as either AR or AD in exchange for expedited path to citizenship. However there have been some complications and the ship dates for many enlistees have been indefinitely delayed and the program itself is now closed. I'm currently in DEP, with the ship date still pending, and with no MOS assigned. Because of all the uncertainties, I decided to apply to med school this cycle, and have interviewed at one of the schools I applied to (will be notified about acceptance later this month). I spoke with my recruiter recently and was told things have been moving forward with MAVNI, slowly but surely, and they have been shipping the enlistees out to BCT in trickles. I was told to expect to be in the boot camp by April the latest.

I guess the question I'm trying to ask is, how long of a process is it to transition from AD enlisted status to request a conditional release and apply for HPSP? As I figured, depending on how long, I may have to reapply either this upcoming cycle or next year in June... There's a big question mark about the whole timeline, and my recruiter appears to be limited in resources to provide me with an exact answer. I already have my Bachelor's and took the MCAT in April 2017. I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Gastrapathy Thank you for the reply! Would you mind elaborating on the reason? If it has to do with the memorandum issued in September 2016, I believe there's a currently ongoing court case that seeks to address the issue. To make my question clearer, if we assume I wasn't foreign-born, and was seeking to transition from AD Enlisted status to applying for HPSP, how long does the process normally take?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have a specific answer, but I just completed my HPSP application and there is quite a bit of paperwork to fill out after that. I am pretty busy over the next 2 weeks, but hope to have everything completed at that point. Once you have everything together, your packet goes up to a board that meets once a month to decide your fate. Not sure the time line after that. There is an Amedd recruiter on here that can better answer your question.

Also, you can’t be an officer in the US military if you aren’t a citizen. You can enlist, but not commission. Therefore you can’t do HPSP. And you have a current enlistment contract. Unless they let you out of it, which is highly unlikely, expect to fulfill your commitment.

@Cooperd0g The idea was to first be naturalized and apply after serving for the first year or two. I wasn't sure if I was being realistic with the timeline though. Thank you for the input!
@95ragtop @PressPforPi Thank you. I'll look more into it!

Last edited: