Using LSAT materials for verbal practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erskine

hit it, H
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this viable? I noticed some old threads comparing the two and there were mixed opinions, so I'm wondering if anyone familiar with current LSAT review material can comment on this?

I find myself running out of verbal practice- I can't get the TPR, and I'm saving my EK book till around november. The only thing that's left is Kaplan, but they honestly don't have that much practice passages, and to boot, everyone tells me to avoid them. I've ordered the BR verbal, since that's the only option left me, but seeing as my books haven't arrived yet, I thought I might study some lsat stuff in the meantime. Or is this a waste of time?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think its a good idea. Would you practice rowing if you were planning to run a marathon? Both are aerobic but very different. Same with the LSAT and MCAT. Space out your verbal material more. What test date are you taking?

I don't think its a good idea. Would you practice rowing if you were planning to run a marathon? Both are aerobic but very different. Same with the LSAT and MCAT. Space out your verbal material more. What test date are you taking?
+1.
However if you really plan on studying lots of verbal, you can do LSAT but make sure you only do MCAT VR in the last few weeks. LSAT verbal is harder but the correct answers are always the most logical; the same is not true with MCAT verbal. With the MCAT you have to think like the test makers.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I'm saving EK 101
My BR verbal should get here next week or week after that
Can't get TPR verbal
Everyone says Kaplan is horrible- maybe I should try kaplan?

My test date is Jan 30. I'm trying to save EK 101 till november.

So LSAT verbal reasoning is a lot different from the MCAT? I guess that makes sense- you would assume lawyers would be more likely to rely on facts and precedents than inferences. But for some reason my school's law library has a ridiculous amount of LSAT study prep, whereas there's like 3 mcat review books in the main library- all kaplan. My verbal score is pathetic, and everyone mentions how hard it is to raise it, so I was hoping i could crosstrain with lsat stuff. Oh well. Maybe i'll brave the kaplan books...

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I'm saving EK 101
My BR verbal should get here next week or week after that
Can't get TPR verbal
Everyone says Kaplan is horrible- maybe I should try kaplan?

My test date is Jan 30. I'm trying to save EK 101 till november.

So LSAT verbal reasoning is a lot different from the MCAT? I guess that makes sense- you would assume lawyers would be more likely to rely on facts and precedents than inferences. But for some reason my school's law library has a ridiculous amount of LSAT study prep, whereas there's like 3 mcat review books in the main library- all kaplan. My verbal score is pathetic, and everyone mentions how hard it is to raise it, so I was hoping i could crosstrain with lsat stuff. Oh well. Maybe i'll brave the kaplan books...

Yeah, try kaplan. It's not THAT bad. Everyone seems to really hate it though :laugh: I used TPR for verbal. The second time, I used EK (though I found it really easy and straightforward, I was still making mistakes...:smuggrin:) Kaplan is long, drawn out, boring....but do-able :rolleyes:
And TPR verbal is just plain hard. So many killer passages...but good for practice.

You know what's really important for verbal though? An innate ability for language. Not to say that you can't get better, but it's true...all the high scorers here have really good language skills. So practice reading lots in your spare time. Read everything...and you will do rather well. But when reading everything, rmb to analyse the info. Don't just glaze over it.

It will help not only w/ VR but also with WS. Being all fancy shmancy on the WS (given that it makes sense) can only add to the worth of your written response. GL

Last edited: