What to do with a low GPA on my shoulder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Molar Bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a low GPA the first time I applied. It was not as low as yours but I was directed by admission staffs to get my masters with a 3.5 or better. I would take the advice you get on here with a grain of salt. With that said your best advice will come from an Admissions director. Meet with a few of them before applying and ask their honest opinion on the direction you should should take.

My GPA wasn't that low when I started. It was 3.0 but I did a 50 credit post-bacc on a 4.0 run, now its 3.3 GPA and 3.7+ science

In my opinion, I don't think the masters program will help you much since most dental schools REALLY like to look at a student's undergrad performance. You should do post-bacc. Another problem you might have with masters is that it doesn't combine with your undergrad GPA, it forms its own category. So the schools who have GPA cutoffs (some around 3.0, some around 3.2ish) woun't even look at your application even if you pulled off a 4.0 masters GPA.

Contact 20+ schools and see what they all suggest, make your decision based on that

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, I don't think the masters program will help you much since most dental schools REALLY like to look at a student's undergrad performance. You should do post-bacc. Another problem you might have with masters is that it doesn't combine with your undergrad GPA, it forms its own category. So the schools who have GPA cutoffs (some around 3.0, some around 3.2ish) woun't even look at your application even if you pulled off a 4.0 masters GPA.

I'm wondering where you got that information from?

In my case, I had a low undergrad gpa, so I met with the admissions advisor at UMich and she suggested a Master's for me. She even told me to forget about taking anymore undergrad classes since taking a couple more really won't do anything to change 120+ credits already down.

Also, apparently Midwestern looks at your cumulative (undergrad and Master's).

I'm not trying to disprove you, I'm just interested in knowing where you got this information from, cuz I'm one of those applicants who's really relying on schools looking at my Master's performance, since it's wayyyy better than my undergrad. If they were to look at my undergrad only, well...then i guess im screwed! lol

I couldn't disagree more, my udergrad GPA was low. and since then I have aced my masters and received 3 interviews to NOVA, UF, and BU all early. (hoping to hear good news on the 1st). I also don't understand how you could attribute more merit to a postbac course than to a graduate, when it is the graduate level that will more likely represent the courses you will be taking in dental school. My intention is not to spur controversy but I do question where you got that information and your reasoning.

While undergrad IS important, most any school will show an applicant consideration if they have proven at least 3 semesters of 3.5 or better in the biomedical sciences. My initial recommendation to you would be to contact the schools you have most interest in and believe you would be applying to and consult their admissions director, likely they will recommend a masters (thesis/or not)

Last edited:
Hey alec0884,

If you dont mind me asking how did you do on your DAT? I have around 3.0 and 18 DAT. I also decided to do a masters at Barry University this Spring. Thanks!

Blamb, I have a 20,25(pat) and am finishing at Barry in December. The program will get you in if you do well, but I can't emphasize enough doing well when you decide to go to a masters program.

I'm wondering where you got that information from?

In my case, I had a low undergrad gpa, so I met with the admissions advisor at UMich and she suggested a Master's for me. She even told me to forget about taking anymore undergrad classes since taking a couple more really won't do anything to change 120+ credits already down.

Also, apparently Midwestern looks at your cumulative (undergrad and Master's).

I'm not trying to disprove you, I'm just interested in knowing where you got this information from, cuz I'm one of those applicants who's really relying on schools looking at my Master's performance, since it's wayyyy better than my undergrad. If they were to look at my undergrad only, well...then i guess im screwed! lol

I couldn't disagree more, my udergrad GPA was 2.9 and 2.6s. and since then I have aced my masters and received 3 interviews to NOVA, UF, and BU all early. (hoping to hear good news on the 1st). I also don't understand how you could attribute more merit to a postbac course than to a graduate, when it is the graduate level that will more likely represent the courses you will be taking in dental school. My intention is not to spur controversy but I do question where you got that information and your reasoning.

While undergrad IS important, most any school will show an applicant consideration if they have proven at least 3 semesters of 3.5 or better in the biomedical sciences. My initial recommendation to you would be to contact the schools you have most interest in are believe you would be applying to and consult their admissions director, likely they will recommend a masters (thesis/or not)

I have personally contacted Detroit Mercy (phone) about this very situation about 3 years back, I explained to them my situation (low undergrad GPA and wanna get into thier school), I asked them what is my best option, post-bacc or masters. They said both options are good but both serve a different purpose for the applicant. Here is how they explained it to me

1) post-bacc is good for the following:
- your non-traditional whos never taken any pre-dents (like my situation)
- your undergrad gpa is low, and you wanna bump it up a little and show an increase in upward trend

2) masters is generally good for the following:
- students who tend to apply, don't get it, and don't know what to do for the entire year, its a good idea to entrol into a masters just to show they haven't been out of school
- its best suitd for those applicants who don't really need any undergrad GPA fixing

The lady told me the reason they prefer post-bacc over masters is because alot of master programs in the nation tend to be "easier" than undergrad. Sure the material is tougher, but its generally easier to obtain a 3.5 or higher in master programs than in typical undergrad courses. Remember, this is NOT what I am saying, I am simply repeating what was told to me. I've never been to a masters program before, so I don't know thier actual level of difficulty. I also remember asking her if this view is shared by many other dental schools or just theirs, she said that they doesn't know the policies of other schools, but she assumed that many others will share this same opinion

From that point on, since Mercy is always been my number 1 pick, I've always worked toward my post-bacc and never concidered any masters option. Is this going to hurt me or benefit me towards the end? I don't know yet, I am applying next cycle, but I really believe my strong performance in post-bacc is going to give me the edge needed.

Post-bacc 4.0,
24 minimum on DAT,
Good Extras, but focus on grades first,
Incredibly unique personal statement.
Oh, and URM helps. well duh.

I was told by an admissions dean to go the post-bacc route. I was 27 at the time and had been out of school ~6 years (very low GPA-2.3). I suggest contacting multiple schools also.

Just my opinion but:

Masters
-Probably for recent graduates (who were chem or biology major)
-It needs to be in a science (biology, chem, micro, or biochem most likely)
-It gives you something to fall back on in the instance you don't get in

Post-bacc
-probably for those with a very low GPA, those who have been out of school a while, or those who were non-science undergrads
-will be beneficial in studying for DAT (more-so than a masters-except maybe a masters in biol)
-will need multiple semesters of As and Bs (mostly As) to show a trend

In either scenario, I really think you will need to get As and do well on the DAT to have a chance.

Personally, I think the postbacc route really helped me prepare for the DAT.

oh eyah and indiana told me to do a masters. for the 100th time, contact the schoolst that interest you and see waht they want, not what a bunch of know-it-all predents like me think :p

Members don't see this ad :)
How do I go about it? Do I email, call, or set an appointment with them? Are they hard to reach? Will they keep a record of me calling in and asking?

I went to the school website and found personnel contact info. I emailed the dean of admissions. I attached a "copied and pasted" version of my grades transcipt (word document). I also asked to set an appointment in my initial email, but his email response answered all my questions and did not mention a meeting.

I received an email response the next day each time I emailed them. (3 times)

You, along with majority of the other replies, suggested to contact all or most of the dental schools I wish to apply to. How do I go about it? Do I email, call, or set an appointment with them? Are they hard to reach? Will they keep a record of me calling in and asking?

Thank you very much. I truly appreciate your help.

I normally call the admission office of the dental school I am interested in and set a phone appointment with one of the admission counselors, the appointment sometimes is in the long future (3-4 weeks away) because they are VERY busy people

I agree with Dentalworks insofar as the GPA is concerned.
I dont know about other graduate schools, but at mine, one year of course work is spread out to two years, and it doesn't even gurantee that you would defend your thesis within two years. In this light, having a master won't affect your overall GPA much.

BUT, the problem with dentistry is that it's narrowly focused on clinical only, so if you are taking the research route (e.g. phd DDS), having a masters would be an asset since a lot of DS want diversity. In Canada, some schools even gurantee admission into their DDS program provided that you defended your thesis and that you have interests in becoming a dental scientist (e.g. adhoc program at UWO).

Anyways, the bottom line is that masters is not the Holy Grail to DS if you are not interested in research, and you would be better off with a postbac.

In this light, having a master won't affect your overall GPA much.

I'm curious because it is being continually stated...... why is it believed that postbac coursework is going to have more of an effect on your gpa in comparison to graduate coursework? A credit hour is a credit hour, no matter how you get it. And if those courses are associated with a degree and inline with dental school curriculum how can it not fair better than postbac.

I am not pushing Barry, it has it problems, but the program offers you the opportunity to take 36 credits in one year in courses like, Gross Head & Neck, Histology, Neuroanatomy, Pathophysiolgy, Pharmacology, Immunology....and so on. While postbac is just more undergraduate courses with no degree

Last edited:
I'm curious because it is being continually stated...... why is it believed that postbac coursework is going to have more of an effect on your gpa in comparison to graduate coursework? A credit hour is a credit hour, no matter how you get it. And if those courses are associated with a degree and inline with dental school curriculum how can it not fair better than postbac.

because for most schools, post-bacc can bump up your undergrad GPA (assuming you do well), while the masters doesn't.

because for most schools, post-bacc can bump up your undergrad GPA (assuming you do well), while the masters doesn't.

ya but some schools take an average of both and look at that...

ya but some schools take an average of both and look at that...

which is why I said "most" and not "all"

Out of the 60 or so US dental schools, how many take the average of the two?

I hate to be doom sayer, but I have a friend here at D-school who had a crappy GPA in undergrad and it took him 4 cycles to finally get in. I think he is probably the best student here, but because of his poor undergrad performance it took a lot to over come it... 24 on the DAT, 6 years experience in a med clinic, etc. It is possible to do but you may have to apply multiple times. I would recommend doing a masters program because that will help you out more in the event that you give up trying. Plus, I think it will take more than a year to show a good upward trend. That being said you may still apply to a select few schools that you really like with the expectation of getting denied. A lot of schools like persistent applicants and will look at you more seriously once you do finally have something competitive to put on your app.

Hey raynaj, If you don't mind my asking which dental school are you attending?

Thanks alec,

Did you do the 2 year program at Barry?

Basically yes, but I finished it in 18 months.

congrats on getting the interviews....do you mind me asking what was your undergrad. GPA? I'm thinking about doing the MS. program at Barry....and doing the 18 months program. and also do you like the program? Thanks in advance.

I couldn't disagree more, my udergrad GPA was low. and since then I have aced my masters and received 3 interviews to NOVA, UF, and BU all early. (hoping to hear good news on the 1st). I also don't understand how you could attribute more merit to a postbac course than to a graduate, when it is the graduate level that will more likely represent the courses you will be taking in dental school. My intention is not to spur controversy but I do question where you got that information and your reasoning.

While undergrad IS important, most any school will show an applicant consideration if they have proven at least 3 semesters of 3.5 or better in the biomedical sciences. My initial recommendation to you would be to contact the schools you have most interest in and believe you would be applying to and consult their admissions director, likely they will recommend a masters (thesis/or not)

I was looking at their programs and seems like you get a 6 crhr gross anatomy and 3 more crhr physiology in 1 yr program vs. 18 months...are they flexilbe in terms of letting you switch the classes or taking the gross anatomy if you get into the 18months program? Thanks

Basically yes, but I finished it in 18 months.

I normally call the admission office of the dental school I am interested in and set a phone appointment with one of the admission counselors, the appointment sometimes is in the long future (3-4 weeks away) because they are VERY busy people

That's a good idea dental work. I didn't know you could do a " phone appt". good stuff!

I was looking at their programs and seems like you get a 6 crhr gross anatomy and 3 more crhr physiology in 1 yr program vs. 18 months...are they flexilbe in terms of letting you switch the classes or taking the gross anatomy if you get into the 18months program? Thanks

There is definitely more flexibility in the 18 month program but they tend to allow the students with better grades in their required courses those options, so make sure you do well. If you want to call, Dr. Lauden is pretty good about answering questions and will let you know what there policy is.

There is definitely more flexibility in the 18 month program but they tend to allow the students with better grades in their required courses those options, so make sure you do well. If you want to call, Dr. Lauden is pretty good about answering questions and will let you know what there policy is.

Hey Alec,
Could you briefly explain what a student life is like at Barry for the 18month program. I am going to be going back to school after 4 years and would like to know what to expect.