**Official** Temple Class of 2014 Acceptance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all those who have been accepted! If you have any questions on what to expect at this point, feel free to post or PM me.

If you haven't been accepted yet, don't stress out. I was accepted early December 2.

Now you can chill with comfort knowing you will be starting D School August 26, 2010!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Simiam!

I GOT IN!!!! Right now my main concern is housing and financial aid. I'll probably call them about the latter next week. Right now I'm just really really REALLY happy.

Congrats!

Don't worry about housing/financial aid. There will be various emails sent out regarding those. If you want to scout the area out ahead of time... a good amount of people live in the Roxborough/Manyanuk area. Summit Park and Henry on the Park are popular choices.

I'm surprised more people haven't posted. I know that in excess of 100 acceptances went out yesterday. More to follow today. I'll keep you'll posted on what I find out. good luck to those who are still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the email yesterday and was thrilled! I really dig the school.

Got the email yesterday and will be going to Temple :rolleyes:
See you in August!

I got my email today!! Omg i'm so freakin' excited!

I got the email yesterday too. I am a little worried about financial aid, too. From what I gathered from Terry Griffin, it seems like there aren't many funds available - and she said we should have "good credit" to take out loans!

I really like Temple a lot. I am deciding between Temple and Upenn (although I haven't been accepted to UPenn yet, but what if I am, what should I do?)! Any advice?

Temple will prepare you better clinically.
UPenn will prepare you better didactically.

I think UPenn costs more, unless you get the scholarship.

Same city.

As far as financial aid goes... You will most likely (unless you have 50,000$ sitting around) be getting Stafford loans for the first 45k and Grad Plus for the rest. Both have PRESET APRs, so having a better credit score won't really effect that. By gaining acceptance to school, you will be able to get the funding to pay for it up to CoA, most likely from the government.

What Terry was probably talking about was the various other scholarships/loans normally available to students. I know they have been having budget cuts throughout the US, so many of these funds have seen budget cuts as well. For instance, HPSL loans are generally offered to those with severe financial need, but the school will only have a certain amount of this to offer. Don't stress over it.

JUST GOT IN THIS MORNING!!! I'm sooooo happy!!! This is my 3rd time applying and it's been such a long road!!! Def gonna be attending Temple!!! See you guys next fall!!! :D

same here! very excited. I sent you a pm simiam and was just wondering what you personally like/dislike about the school. I am torn between temple and pitt. Also, once you go through financial aid, how early woudl you get imbursed (just for reference for getting an apt etc.)?

;):):cool::DI got in....got my email yesterday.....I wonder howmany ppl are in already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple will prepare you better clinically.
UPenn will prepare you better didactically.

I think UPenn costs more, unless you get the scholarship.

Same city.

As far as financial aid goes... You will most likely (unless you have 50,000$ sitting around) be getting Stafford loans for the first 45k and Grad Plus for the rest. Both have PRESET APRs, so having a better credit score won't really effect that. By gaining acceptance to school, you will be able to get the funding to pay for it up to CoA, most likely from the government.

What Terry was probably talking about was the various other scholarships/loans normally available to students. I know they have been having budget cuts throughout the US, so many of these funds have seen budget cuts as well. For instance, HPSL loans are generally offered to those with severe financial need, but the school will only have a certain amount of this to offer. Don't stress over it.

Thanks for the advice :) I hear that a lot about temple vs. upenn. The thing is I'm not sure which (clinical or didactics) is more important... they both seem pretty important to me but I guess I'll just need to do more thinking

Anyone was offered Scholarship herE?

Dont forget to create facebook group!!!! yeay...

i'm in as well, on my third app. cycle. pretty sweet.

havent heard from temple yet...been accepted to 5 schools, but temple is my #1. i called the admissions office and they told me that the only status updates they can tell us is through aadsas. any recommendations?

i got accepted and i really loved the school but i dont think i'm gonna accept because i also got into UOP and three years is really tempting. but Temple is awesome, I feel bad! I hope i don't regret my decision.

you only have to attend for three years? that's interesting.

I go to school pretty close to the Manayunk area already so that might be perfect.

who's creating a facebook group?

UOP is the only 3 year dental school.

The thing is I'm not sure which (clinical or didactics) is more important...

Pretty dumb quote.
Clinical competency is more important that didactics.
Besides when you come out of temple you know your ****, you can run circles with your high speed hand piece around anyone from UPenn.

I had friends that got into both, they all chose Temple over UPenn.

for those of you debating between pitt and temple (orangutan, etc). i'm from the pittsburgh area but i'm going with temple. it seems like a school from which you can really hit the ground running. i remember talking to a few temple students when i was visiting for my interview, and they mentioned how the simulators just sit there abandoned like a joke simply because they get the opportunity for so much real clinical experience.

and what's going on with the facebook group? i found one with 3 members, but it no longer has any admins.

anyone who's actually nervous about the area clearly hasn't ventured outside of their suburban neighborhood very much. they're called cities, people.

also, by the time we get there next fall (from what i hear anyway), the lecture halls will all be completely redone, and by the time we hit the clinics, they'll be new as well (correct me if i'm wrong on this. i'm pretty sure i remember hearing brian say this).

see you dudes next fall.

for those of you debating between pitt and temple (orangutan, etc). i'm from the pittsburgh area but i'm going with temple. it seems like a school from which you can really hit the ground running. i remember talking to a few temple students when i was visiting for my interview, and they mentioned how the simulators just sit there abandoned like a joke simply because they get the opportunity for so much real clinical experience.

and what's going on with the facebook group? i found one with 3 members, but it no longer has any admins.

anyone who's actually nervous about the area clearly hasn't ventured outside of their suburban neighborhood very much. they're called cities, people.

also, by the time we get there next fall (from what i hear anyway), the lecture halls will all be completely redone, and by the time we hit the clinics, they'll be new as well (correct me if i'm wrong on this. i'm pretty sure i remember hearing brian say this).

see you dudes next fall.

My first choice right now is Temple. However, I was told many times by my professors and PI researcher that I should take the lecture hall/clinic/school as it was when I interviewed there. How sure will the lecture halls be redone as promised? I feel like that could easily fall through or be delayed by a semester or two.

My first choice right now is Temple. However, I was told many times by my professors and PI researcher that I should take the lecture hall/clinic/school as it was when I interviewed there. How sure will the lecture halls be redone as promised? I feel like that could easily fall through or be delayed by a semester or two.

They are working on the lecture halls right now.
They are going to be done beginning of next semester so about 3 weeks away.
I know because I just saw them yesterday, they are almost done.

Clinics, thats going to be a work in progress. I am going to get shafted with it, but when you guys get to clinic it will be top notch.

Lecture Halls are going to be done.
Clinic they are starting to work on them in march or april, and will take ~2 years to complete.

Clinics, thats going to be a work in progress. I am going to get shafted with it, but when you guys get to clinic it will be top notch.

Clinic they are starting to work on them in march or april, and will take ~2 years to complete.

Thanks for the response!!! That is really good to know. I'm not sure what year you are, but what are the general consensus about the students doing their own lab work? Do most of them hate it? Could you tell me what do you dislike/ should change/needs improvement at Temple?

thanks moise! i still cant decide which school would be a better fit aklejaf

Does anyone know how many acceptances did Temple send out already? thx

havent heard from temple yet...been accepted to 5 schools, but temple is my #1. i called the admissions office and they told me that the only status updates they can tell us is through aadsas. any recommendations?

Call/Email Brian directly... tell him you have multiple offers but you want to attend Temple. Not much I can think of besides that.

Lecture Halls will be done over break! They have been working relentlessly on them. They'll be done.

Clinic work starts next semester. Per the memo sent out by the Dean we can expect them to take about 2 years. I believe the first thing they want to do is central sterilization. I heard once the clinic is reno'd we won't be doing our own lab work anymore.

Thanks for the response!!! That is really good to know. I'm not sure what year you are, but what are the general consensus about the students doing their own lab work? Do most of them hate it? Could you tell me what do you dislike/ should change/needs improvement at Temple?

Lab work isn't that bad, but from what I hear they are going to start sending it out once the reno is complete. This will give us even more time to see patients. Most of the things that I didn't like about Temple are getting renovated. As of now I believe they have around 2/3 of the money they need to complete the renovation.

Does anyone know how many acceptances did Temple send out already? thx

I know they said they sent out 160 in the first couple days.

I received the acceptance letter on 12/1 as well at 9:09am, and Temple is my no.1 choice as well!! I loooooved the school when I went there. I visited Temple over the summer and I hated the neighborhood. But when i went there my second time for an interview, i loved it. The neighborhood wasn't bad at all and the city was great too.

Does anyone remember, does the clinic at Temple have enough chairs for every student?

Hi! Congratulations everyone on your acceptance to Temple! It was my top choice and I am very excited to begin in the Fall.

I just have a few questions regarding the living situation and hope that someone can enlighten me. I am currently living in NYC and do not have a car. During the tour, I remember Brian mentioning an apartment complex where everyone tends to live but I also seem to remember it was not subway accessible. If I were to live in Center City near a subway stop, would I be able to easily commute to school? How reliable is public transport in Philly? Also does anyone know if it is common for people to take the subway late at night from Temple? I was speaking to a friend's sister who graduated from Temple a while back and she said they had to line up at 5am to try to get chairs. Is this still the case? During the tour, I remember asking if we had to line up to get patients, but totally forgot to ask about the chairs! She said if that was still the case then not having a car was completely out bc/ it would be impossible to use public transport to get to school that early.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Summit Park is the apartment complex you're thinking of. You wouldn't necessarily need a car if you have roommates/friends with cars to carpool with. A large chunk of our class uses public transport, subway and/or bus, and I don't think there's many occasions you would be at school til late at night. Also, scheduling patients and the whole clinic situation will be completely different with renovations by the time you get there.

If I were to live in Center City near a subway stop, would I be able to easily commute to school? How reliable is public transport in Philly? Also does anyone know if it is common for people to take the subway late at night from Temple?

That is actually what I am planning to do.
I am thinking about getting a studio in the center city so I could take the orange line to school. From center city, it should take ~15 miutes for commuting to school depending where you live.
(It took me about 40mins from going to temple from a friend's house in University city around USP)

Also, septa subways are pretty reliable and with their recent strike, I will say we are good for another decade :laugh:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was totally getting stressed out by just thinking about having to buy a car. So expensive! I guess I'll try to go without one for at least the first year to see how it goes.

That is actually what I am planning to do.
I am thinking about getting a studio in the center city so I could take the orange line to school. From center city, it should take ~15 miutes for commuting to school depending where you live.
(It took me about 40mins from going to temple from a friend's house in University city around USP)

Also, septa subways are pretty reliable and with their recent strike, I will say we are good for another decade :laugh:

hey lynn1412, have you started browsing for apartments yet? what sites have you used besides craigslist, apartments.com?

hey lynn1412, have you started browsing for apartments yet? what sites have you used besides craigslist, apartments.com?

Yes, I started looking for apartments. I used craigslist, apartments.com, rent.com, etc.
But so far, I think craigslist have more apartments that I was looking for compared to other websites. I think they have more apartments that fit in my budget range.
Also, I know a friend who used to live in center city studio for pretty cheap price (I believe it was around 400 like two years ago), so I am planning to ask her as well.

I am looking into the apartments in center city that is within 10-15mins walking distance from orange line subway :)

Are you having troubles looking for apartments?

Yes, I started looking for apartments. I used craigslist, apartments.com, rent.com, etc.
But so far, I think craigslist have more apartments that I was looking for compared to other websites. I think they have more apartments that fit in my budget range.
Also, I know a friend who used to live in center city studio for pretty cheap price (I believe it was around 400 like two years ago), so I am planning to ask her as well.

I am looking into the apartments in center city that is within 10-15mins walking distance from orange line subway :)

Are you having troubles looking for apartments?

thanks for the heads up. i'm just starting out to look at apartments and get the general price range. I just wanted to see what other sites were out there that could be helpful to broaden my search. You're right though, seems like craigslist has the most options in a reasonable price range. Good luck apartment hunting!

Also, septa subways are pretty reliable and with their recent strike, I will say we are good for another decade :laugh:[/QUOTE]

The past strike was the third since '98

anyone looking for a roommate? I just sent in my deposit today!

Did ppl already sent their deposits? I wil be sending them next week...tho..

Congrats to all of you who are in!!! I'm a first year at Temple, and it's been a blast so far. If any of you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM, and I'll give you my email or something. I remember having a ton of questions, but didn't really have anyone to talk to. Let me know if there is any way I can help!

Is anyone doing the armed forces HPSP scholarship?

just got into Temple, such a relief.

Temple is the first school I got into and its also one of my favorites.

Anyone else get good news today

can any of the Dental students at temple comment on the Library? How is it? Are there enough space for students and what are the hours? I love studying at the library, so please let me know!!

Orangutan, I know who you are because we interviewed at Temple the exact same day!

Last edited:
can any of the Dental students at temple comment on the Library? How is it? Are there enough space for students and what are the hours? I love studying at the library, so please let me know!!

Orangutan, I know who you are because we interviewed at Temple the exact same day!

nice! where were you from? what did you like the most about temple?

Right now there is no dental school library because of renovations. I really don't know what the plan is for opening a new one, but right now we are using the brand new med school library. It's just 2 blocks north of the dental school on Broad St and is open 24 hours, has an Einstein's bagels inside, lots of computers available, large open tables and private rooms that you can borrow a key for. Most of the Temple buildings are dumpy but this one is actually really comfortable.