**Official** Temple Class of 2014 Acceptance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got into Temple, such a relief.

Temple is the first school I got into and its also one of my favorites.

Anyone else get good news today
congrats!!! I interviewed there on Nov. 25th and still haven't heard anything yet :(

Members don't see this ad.

Right now there is no dental school library because of renovations. I really don't know what the plan is for opening a new one, but right now we are using the brand new med school library. It's just 2 blocks north of the dental school on Broad St and is open 24 hours, has an Einstein's bagels inside, lots of computers available, large open tables and private rooms that you can borrow a key for. Most of the Temple buildings are dumpy but this one is actually really comfortable.

Thanks for the info!

nice! where were you from? what did you like the most about temple?

I'm from colorado, the OTHER asian guy, hahahahaha. I really like the school. I was accepted to NYU as well, but its really expensive to go there. Also, I liked the student body at temple alot more than at NYU, NYU gave me a super competitive vibe which I dont like too much. I choose Temple because of the clinical aspect, definitely the best in the nation. Im also interviewing at Nova and Colorado just to keep my options open, but i dont think Ill go there even if I get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
my interview was on November 5th. when i didnt get in Dec 1st I was pretty bummed.

All I can say is wait it out. temple doesnt have a schedule for giving out acceptances so dont get too freaked out by the official "timeline" of how everything is supposed to work.

If your still waiting send brian or someone an email showing that your still interested.

Does anyone know how getting a lease works when you don't have a job? I lived at the dorms in undergrad. All the apartments I have rented since graduation (I am a post bac) requested to see current pay stubs before agreeing to a lease. I will not have a job when I move to Philly in the summer. How do grad students do it? Do you just say you are a grad student and let them do a credit check?

Congrats to everyone accepted! I interviewed on Dec 8 and brian told us that they would hopefully let us know before christmas. I loved temple, so I'm really hoping for some good news! Did anyone else get an acceptance on the 17?

Hi everyone! I was hoping you would be able to give me some advice. I have currently gotten into 5 dental schools (upenn, temple, buffalo, nyu, and maryland) and I have narrowed my selection to temple and maryland, however I am really stuck. I am from the philadelphia area and I currently work at temple doing medical research. I like temple but I wasnt sure if i wanted something different or new. Maryland is a really beautiful campus with great facilities but I've heard mixed things on sdn about their actual program. And I would basically be starting over completely since I know no one and I dont know anything about baltimore. I am interested in possibly specializing in pedo, so I want to keep my options open to do so. Everyone says that temple is great with clinical but its like a backup school for a lot of people. Is that true? Does the whole name thing really matter that much? I also really liked at maryland that they record all lectures so you can refer to them later. Anyone know if temple does this? or something similar? For those of you that currently go to temple...do you study late at night on campus? I've never felt unsafe on campus during business hours but I don't know how I'd feel being there late at night by myself. Any thoughts? Ahhh..I change my mind hourly so any guidance is appreciated??

Hi everyone! I was hoping you would be able to give me some advice. I have currently gotten into 5 dental schools (upenn, temple, buffalo, nyu, and maryland) and I have narrowed my selection to temple and maryland, however I am really stuck. I am from the philadelphia area and I currently work at temple doing medical research. I like temple but I wasnt sure if i wanted something different or new. Maryland is a really beautiful campus with great facilities but I've heard mixed things on sdn about their actual program. And I would basically be starting over completely since I know no one and I dont know anything about baltimore. I am interested in possibly specializing in pedo, so I want to keep my options open to do so. Everyone says that temple is great with clinical but its like a backup school for a lot of people. Is that true? Does the whole name thing really matter that much? I also really liked at maryland that they record all lectures so you can refer to them later. Anyone know if temple does this? or something similar? For those of you that currently go to temple...do you study late at night on campus? I've never felt unsafe on campus during business hours but I don't know how I'd feel being there late at night by myself. Any thoughts? Ahhh..I change my mind hourly so any guidance is appreciated??

Maryland, hands down. Trust me, you will be doing yourself a HUGE favor.

Congrats to everyone accepted! I interviewed on Dec 8 and brian told us that they would hopefully let us know before christmas. I loved temple, so I'm really hoping for some good news! Did anyone else get an acceptance on the 17?

I got an acceptance last week as well. Interviewed late November.

As for the other poster's question about recorded lectures, I believe Brian said they were going to start doing that by the time our class started in the Fall. Hopefully someone else can confirm. If not you can always send Brian an email, he is really good about responding.

Also if you are worried about safety, Baltimore is not Disneyland either. Have you seen HBO's The Wire? :laugh: Honestly you should be fine at either school with some common sense. Don't walk alone late at night, ect, ect. You are already familiar with Temple, so that would be the easy choice. The $36k tuition for instate is something to think about as well.

Does anyone know how getting a lease works when you don't have a job? I lived at the dorms in undergrad. All the apartments I have rented since graduation (I am a post bac) requested to see current pay stubs before agreeing to a lease. I will not have a job when I move to Philly in the summer. How do grad students do it? Do you just say you are a grad student and let them do a credit check?

You'd have two options unless you have a flush bank account:
1) Wait until you have your loan documents and most management will generally accept that, knowing you are a dental student. It helps to have good credit though.
2) Get a cosigner.

Backup School?

Maybe it's true in a few circumstances. Let's be honest.
-Temple is in a crap area, but you don't live there. It's the reason why we have many, many patients for our excellent clinic.
-Out of State will hit you for around $300k. If you have a shot at in state and only $150k I could see that as a negative. However, you are in state at 36k so Temple would be cheaper than Maryland I believe.
-Some people want a renovated/new school. You run risks with new schools. Temple is the 2nd oldest Dental school in America. It is currently in a massive transition. We recently got a new Dean who is cleaning up the school (new policies and renovation). I dare say that in a few years Temple will be restored to it's earlier status as the pinnacle of Dental education! cheesy I know.
-Some people don't like Philly. I do, but there probably a few who shiver at the thought of getting hit by a Noreaster with 22in of snow.

Otherwise, I know, MOST of my class was accepted to numerous other schools, but chose Temple. Thus, it was not there backup, but their first choice.

The most recent update on our classroom renovation is that they will be ready at the start of this semester. They will be orienting all professors for the use of the new instrumentation, such as classroom capture, during the first two weeks of class. After that, we will begin having all of our classes in the Dental building again.

Finals just ended and I know for a fact that many people, male and female, remained at school through the night to study. We are a block away from the hospital and the new med school library. Most people will go there and study. If you want to stay and study late into the night, the library is 24/7 and the parking garage is next door.

If it were a choice between Maryland and Temple, I would choose Temple. Although I do have an obvious bias. Good luck!:laugh:

Maryland, hands down. Trust me, you will be doing yourself a HUGE favor.

He has 6 posts total. Don't listen to him.

if i get into maryland i will be in the same dilemna

maryland or temple hmmmmm

if temple would commit to doing the recorded lectures thing maryland does i would be in

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if someone can tell when we should get our physical done? I remember some people telling me that you have to do the physical within three months of matriculation, or something along those lines? I don't want to get the form filled out only to do it again later because it didn't fit the timeline required.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if someone can tell when we should get our physical done? I remember some people telling me that you have to do the physical within three months of matriculation, or something along those lines? I don't want to get the form filled out only to do it again later because it didn't fit the timeline required.

Thanks.

I didn't have mine done until July of this year. Just as long as you get them the physical form, you'll be fine. They tell you to mail it, but I just took it in when I move out to Philly, which was around the 1st of August.

can any of the Dental students at temple comment on the Library? How is it? Are there enough space for students and what are the hours? I love studying at the library, so please let me know!!

Orangutan, I know who you are because we interviewed at Temple the exact same day!

The medical school has a library that is open 24/7, with the exception of friday and saturday nights. It's a pretty great place to hit the books. If you buy a parking pass for the Carlisle garage, you can use that on the weekends to park in the other garage that is open.

Down by the small food court (which is closed on weekends), there is a microwave, so you can bring your own meals to heat up. The hospital cafeteria is just across the street and down a block. They have really good food for the cost, and are open on the weekends.

Just wondering if anyone with a post-December 1st interview at Temple has heard anything back yet? I interviewed on December 3rd, and keep hoping to get an e-mail with some good news!!

Woot woot, just got my acceptance email from Temple today . My first acceptance :). Anyone else got the same email today?

Me too. My very 1st acceptance. This may be the first good news in many years for me. :D:):D

got accepted today! my interview was december 1st

congrats on your acceptances!!!!!!!!! :) Burmanese and nhasifuture: would you mind sharing your interview dates? thx :)

Last edited:
if i get into maryland i will be in the same dilemna

maryland or temple hmmmmm

if temple would commit to doing the recorded lectures thing maryland does i would be in

Recorded lectures mean that much to you???

Temple has already installed class capture into our new lecture halls, so I'd say they're committed.

Has anyone who has submitted the $1,000 have their check cashed yet? Just curious if they wait to cash it till semester starts or if they are just sitting on it for awhile.

Mine has not cashed yet but I figure it is still too early since it was just received by them last week. When did you send your check in?

they received my deposit in the first week of Dec and it has not been cashed yet

I believe they received mine on the 19th. I just thought it was strange considering many schools cashed my application fee practically the same day they got it.

I think Temple cashes late...at least that is what I recall from when we sent out application checks. In fact, I think I emailed admissions to see if it got lost in the mail. It is sort of unnerving though. I keep thinking that maybe it was all a mistake and they don't want to really accept me!:)

I am so excited to start in the Fall. Is anyone doing anything interesting between now and when classes start?

the cliched but awesome euro trip! depending on my financial situation but it looks like its happening. other than that i'm really going to try and focus on relaxing and enjoying my last completely free summer.

Graduated Temple in 2007. I would do it all over again if I had the chance. The education, classmates, faculty, staff, etc. Overall it was a fantastic 4 years for me. Sounds like a lot of changes taking place but I'm sure it's for the better. To those who choose to go there, you can't go wrong as long as you work hard and treat people like you'd like to be treated. Also, it's really not as dangerous as it seems. Good luck!

Graduated Temple in 2007. I would do it all over again if I had the chance. The education, classmates, faculty, staff, etc. Overall it was a fantastic 4 years for me. Sounds like a lot of changes taking place but I'm sure it's for the better. To those who choose to go there, you can't go wrong as long as you work hard and treat people like you'd like to be treated. Also, it's really not as dangerous as it seems. Good luck!

:thumbup: I'm definitely excited about Temple!

if anyone has any questions bout school let me know.

I saw something about no library and thats correct, i honestly dont know if or when a new one will be done. The new lecture rooms will be completed for your all though and we are getting a Einsteins Bagel at our dental school. The med school also has one, but its pricey.

Center city, Manayunk, East falls are all good places to live. Most students are in CC or Manayunk, and then East Falls, which is close to Manayunk.

Congrats to you all, i heard its getting pretty damn hard to get into dental school now of days.

Are East Falls and Manayunk subway accessible?

Do you guys mind posting your gpa and dat? It will be very helpful to others to compare scores?

Do you guys mind posting your gpa and dat? It will be very helpful to others to compare scores

I was speaking to someone who graduated from Temple 10 years ago and she mentioned that students were responsible for their patients billing to the point that if there was $$$ due on an account and not paid by the patient, the student was responsible for paying. Specifically, if a student's patient/patients had incurred $2000 worth of services that were not paid, the student could not graduate until the $$$ was paid (by anyone). Is this still the policy? I do not know this former student very well in fact only spoke to her briefly so I do not know if it is true. Please advise.

I remember Brian mentioning that whole scheduling/billing system was overhauled during his presentation. Hopefully some D4's can shed some light.

I remember Brian mentioning that whole scheduling/billing system was overhauled during his presentation. Hopefully some D4's can shed some light.

If you really want a D4 to answer, good luck. I will tell you that you don't have to worry about billing.

Also, eliot, you can talk to someone that graduated ten years ago, but a lot has changed since then. Ten years ago, I was still in Jr. High. I could tell you what the best sandwich was the best one to get in the cafeteria, but these days that info might be a little outdated.

Just something to think about. :)

Also, we just started Gross Anatomy this semester, and the anatomy lab (which is in the same building as the med library) is brand spanking new and completely awesome.

If you really want a D4 to answer, good luck. I will tell you that you don't have to worry about billing.

Lol, didn't mean it like that, I just figured a D4/D3 would know best about the changes that occurred over the last 4 years. Thanks for the answer though. :thumbup:

Lol, didn't mean it like that, I just figured a D4/D3 would know best about the changes that occurred over the last 4 years. Thanks for the answer though. :thumbup:

Me too. I understand 10 years is a long time that is why I was asking. Thanks for letting us know :)

Oh and we start using the new classrooms next Monday. I've already taken a look at them and they're awesome. Really comfy chairs, two projectors w/ screens. video and audio recorders throughout the room.... No more sleeping in class I guess. The microphones throughout the room might pick up my snoring ;)

Hey mmk47 - just wondering how you decided upon temple over upenn? Thanks!

Has anyone who sent in their initial deposit receive a snail/email conformation yet?

Brian Hahn? AKA. Used car salesman. :laugh:

I remember I interviewed for dental school the first year he did the interview thing for Temple. I wanted to punch that guy in the face by the end of the day.

Brian Hahn? AKA. Used car salesman. :laugh:

I remember I interviewed for dental school the first year he did the interview thing for Temple. I wanted to punch that guy in the face by the end of the day.

Yea his strong personality has a way of rattling the fragile and socially inept.

Yea his strong personality has a way of rattling the fragile and socially inept.

:rolleyes: He gave us his email address, and said, "hey if you''re interested in temple then send me a mesage. ?

Well, wtf, at that point i wanted to get into any dental program. Of course I'm gonna tell him i'm interested.

I think Brian is great. Of all the interviews I had been to, his was the best and most interesting presentation. Just my 2 cents....

Anyway, does anyone know if/when Temple will email us or send us a bill for the second deposit?

I assume they would send out another email? Has your check been cashed yet from the first deposit?

They still haven't cashed my check or send another email. Anyone else? My guess is we'll get an email today/tom