Will you put down Multiple Deposits??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you be making multiple deposits

• Yes

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 77 71.3%

• Total voters

FutureDent020

Endodontist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was discussed a while back before acceptances were given out. It stirred up a little debate. Now that people have been accepted, i'm interested to see what people will do

Members don't see this ad.

I can't even afford 1 deposit...

If anyone feels the need to make multiple deposits just for fun, please mail me the money instead. PM me for my mailing address or paypal account info.

Oh heeellll no lol...whoever votes yes...you people are evil

Members don't see this ad :)
this will indeed be interesting.

i'm personally trying to avoid mutliple deposits simply because i don't have the money for it :oops:

but since most schools have a 45-day lapse, this may but some (including myself) with jan and feb interviews in a tight spot

If you can find the other thread, you would be surprised how many people would do it. But this was before they were accepted.

No way, from someone who was on 3 waitlists last year I'd kick some ass! I can sort of understand it from people with late interviews but...

I said no. For one, I will be in $350+ debt for no matter which school I choose so I really can't afford to be dishing out an extra couple thousand. Anyway, I hope to make my decision as soon as possible.

LOL heck no. im still paying off my cc's that i used to cover this entire app process

This probably only applies to people that got in to multiple schools... why would you waste $$$ to procrastinate a decision? I could see you putting a deposit down and then still going to interviews and trying to get accepted at a different school... but other than that, why would you even consider doing this?

Well I sure as hell don't want to, but it's possible that I will. I certainly won't have deposits on two schools at the same time. The only reason I might is if I have to let one school know by January 15th but don't find out from my top choice until after January 15th.

Last edited:
I know how everyone feels that didnt get in, but im going to take my time and make sure i make the right decision. I worked my ***** off so ill take my time to make sure i go to the right school
Everyone respects your decision and you have earned the right to take the time to make the right decision. The question is, after 45 days will you have 2 deposits down?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I'm hoping to avoid it buuut I applied in September and I have late interviews and am waiting to hear back from NYU (live on the West coast so it'll be a few days yet). Some schools were really quick and some are still reviewing so it makes it hard. How much is a typical deposit anyways?

When i got accepted to BU i found out that the deposit is non-refundable (3000$):eek: are all schools non-refundable or does it vary?

I'm hoping to avoid it buuut I applied in September and I have late interviews and am waiting to hear back from NYU (live on the West coast so it'll be a few days yet). Some schools were really quick and some are still reviewing so it makes it hard. How much is a typical deposit anyways?
NYU is around $1,000. Some schools are only a couple hundred. It varies though.

When i got accepted to BU i found out that the deposit is non-refundable (3000$):eek: are all schools non-refundable or does it vary?
Most schools say non-refundable, but at some schools there are multiple deposits and the first deposit is refundable (until you pay the others). I think doc toothache has a thread on this.

Michigan is a non-refundable $1000...the idea behind the deposit is that you're committing to go. If schools give you back your deposit, that sort of defeats the purpose. Do any schools actually have refundable deposits? I can't imagine there are that many, if any at all...

Last edited:
I'm sorry you don't agree, however I played the game and came out with multiple acceptances to schools that I really like. I paid the money to apply and interview, so I'll take as much time as I need.

Life isn't fair, I'm sorry.

You live in Oklahoma, your username is cowboy, and your predents profile says you're attending Oklahoma- What decision is left to be made??

45 days is sooo much time...that's enough time to plan where you live, talk to your family, talk to students to learn about the school/area/etc....I really don't understand how anyone could need more time than that.

yea soo expensive. That pretty much killed it

I'm sorry you don't agree, however I played the game and came out with multiple acceptances to schools that I really like. I paid the money to apply and interview, so I'll take as much time as I need.

Life isn't fair, I'm sorry.

That's great and all, but pretty much EVERYONE on here paid money (a shiit ton of it too) to apply and interview, so that doesn't justify anything...we just weren't all fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances.

45 days is sooo much time...that's enough time to plan where you live, talk to your family, talk to students to learn about the school/area/etc....I really don't understand how anyone could need more time than that.

I can't understand why you would even need that. I would have considered all those things prior to Dec. 1 and ranked the schools that I interviewed at.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I'd rather not. I would make my mind up in the given time and use the 2nd deposit money to go on a vacation and buy other useless stuff

Sorry you feel like that, but you have to remember that alot of the people applying to dental school are not 22 year old college students. They have families and spouses to think about, and moving across the country is just not that simple! I certainly don't want to spend more money to put down deposits when we have already used a huge chunk of our savings to pay for applications, but obviously we are going to do what we have to do.

For me, getting to to dental schools was only the first step. Now comes the second (and possibly more difficult) step of my husband finding a job. Keeping options open is the best decision for us and the only way that makes sense.

In the end each student can only end up taking one spot, and the extra spots that they held will be filled.

In the end each student can only end up taking one spot, and the extra spots that they held will be filled.

Wrong. At one of my interviews they told us that 1 or 2 spots each year end up just getting wasted because someone who made a deposit doesn't show up and the school doesn't have enough notice to get a replacement in there since it's the first day of class. So basically, the first 2 people on that waitlist get shafted just because someone is a selfish A-hole

That's why schools have the traffic rule and SOME will withdraw their offer to you if they find out after May 1 that you have multiple deposits down.

Last edited:
Wrong. At one of my interviews they told us that 1 or 2 spots each year end up just getting wasted because someone who made a deposit doesn't show up and the school doesn't have enough notice to get a replacement in there since it's the first day of class. So basically, the first 2 people on that waitlist get shafted just because someone is a selfish A-hole

That's why schools have the traffic rule and will withdraw their offer to you if they find out after May 1 that you have multiple deposits down.

You just contradicted yourself and made no sense. Schools don't let you hold 2 spots after May 1st...therefore they would replace that person with someone else. The only way schools would have "wasted spots" would be if someone who was committed to that ONE school didn't show up and decided to not enter dental school that year. It has nothing to do with holding multiple acceptances.

i'm in the same boat as far as figuring out what my wife is going to do. she's applying to top notch professional schools, so ultimately the dental school i choose will be heavily weight on where she gets in......so much uncertainty :confused:

You just contradicted yourself and made no sense. Schools don't let you hold 2 spots after May 1st...therefore they would replace that person with someone else. The only way schools would have "wasted spots" would be if someone who was committed to that ONE school didn't show up and decided to not enter dental school that year. It has nothing to do with holding multiple acceptances.

Fixed it for you. Not all schools will check for multiple deposits and drop you for it, but some will. However because of past "wasted spots", more schools are putting a zero tolerance policy into place for students with multiple deposits down that late in the game.

If someone feels like I am full of crap, I got all of this info from a school I interviewed at.

people, order in this thread, order in this thread (jk, its not that bad...yet). personally, im going to have my decision made by jan 15 at the latest, i can find better ways to spend 1000 extra dollars than on a deposit. i know why the people that havent been accepted are mad about multiple deposits being laid down, but my advice is not to worry about it (~75% of people WONT make more than one) because you will just be sour until jan 15. if someone is deciding between 3 schools, even if they plan to only make one deposit, its not like those other 2 seats will be freed up any earlier. they will be available when they make that decision, which means maybe jan 15 at the latest. plus, i think 45 days is enough if your a student like me with no wife/children/other circumstances to make an educated decision. dont even worry about the people that say they will make multiple deposits just because they can, this is an online forum, alot of people talk big when they are behind a keyboard.

I'm going to use as much time as I please. Its my acceptance and I get the full 45 days to figure out if I want to go there, or if I will wait for another school in mid-january. Call me selfish if you want. I deserve the time and patience I've earned. If somebody wants my spot, sit tight and chill. end of story.

When you're contemplating moving someplace for the next 4+ years, it's smart to think things through fully. In my case, I work full-time and wasn't able to really explore the cities/environments where the schools are located during my interviews, so I have to find time to get back out there and really look around. Clearly, December/early Jan is not the easiest OR cheapest time for travel, so I need more than 45 days to decide.

I think we all just need to take a deep breath. Whether or not people withdraw from schools in time for the second acceptance wave or the third, the same people who are next in line are STILL going to get that acceptance. And I understand that people are venting, but attacking someone who says they need extra time to make a decision is not going to make them any more inclined to hurry up.

With that said, unless you have family/spouse/job issues to worry about, I do think narrowing it down to 2 schools by Jan 15th is MORE than reasonable...

Last edited:
I'm going to use as much time as I please. Its my acceptance and I get the full 45 days to figure out if I want to go there, or if I will wait for another school in mid-january. Call me selfish if you want. I deserve the time and patience I've earned. If somebody wants my spot, sit tight and chill. end of story.

Just keep in mind that there are those that have worked equally as hard and are still eagerly awaiting good news.

With that said, unless you have family/spouse/job issues to worry about, I do think narrowing it down to 2 schools by Jan 15th is MORE than reasonable...

I actually have a family, spouse, AND full-time job. I could narrow it down to 1 school by dec. 2. That doesn't mean that everyone else has to. I just think that if you're thinking proactively instead of reactively, you should have pretty good idea what you're going to do on dec. 1

Sorry you feel like that, but you have to remember that alot of the people applying to dental school are not 22 year old college students. They have families and spouses to think about, and moving across the country is just not that simple! I certainly don't want to spend more money to put down deposits when we have already used a huge chunk of our savings to pay for applications, but obviously we are going to do what we have to do.

For me, getting to to dental schools was only the first step. Now comes the second (and possibly more difficult) step of my husband finding a job. Keeping options open is the best decision for us and the only way that makes sense.

=Perfectly Fine.

=Douche (if you go past Jan 15th, just because you "deserve" it.)

I actually have a family, spouse, AND full-time job. I could narrow it down to 1 school by dec. 2. That doesn't mean that everyone else has to. I just think that if you're thinking proactively instead of reactively, you should have pretty good idea what you're going to do on dec. 1

+1

I have a wife, baby, dog, cat, house, and my wife and I both have full-time jobs, and my decision was made December 1st at about 7 pm. I had over a month since my last interview so I had plenty of time.

Ahh, I hope I don't have to make multiple deposits. I have an interview at my first choice on the Dec 11th. Do you think its likely that they could let me know before Jan. 15th? EEK.

Ahh, I hope I don't have to make multiple deposits. I have an interview at my first choice on the Dec 11th. Do you think its likely that they could let me know before Jan. 15th? EEK.

Another scenario in which multiple deposits, for a short time, are fine.

wow take a chill pill, gbrando. All I'm saying is that people are going to have to wait their turn behind me, while I wait my turn behind someone else at other schools. Its the nature of the process. Now kick back and enjoy life for the next few weeks b/c we both got into A school

Just wanted to clarify some things about this thread. Many people who will interview at their top choice later in January and February are expected to put a deposit down now to ensure a spot in a dental school. Those who have been waitlisted at their top choice and accepted at others are also expected to place a deposit while waiting for a decision. I'm talking about just holding multiple spots for a while because you are unsure of where you want to go (either due to a difficult scenario or personal right) . Everyone seems to know what I mean based on the debating, but I just wanted to clarify.

I guess the thread should be retitled, "Will you hold multiple seats".

Just keep in mind that there are those that have worked equally as hard and are still eagerly awaiting good news.

+1

I feel like some people here are implying that they worked harder than those of us who don't have multiple acceptances, which is definitely not the case!

wow take a chill pill, gbrando. All I'm saying is that people are going to have to wait their turn behind me, while I wait my turn behind someone else at other schools. Its the nature of the process. Now kick back and enjoy life for the next few weeks b/c we both got into A school

Oh I'm chill, chill as a cucumber. I'm just not a huge fan of the whole "I-got-into-more-schools-cuz-I'm-better-than-you-so-I'll-take-my-sweet-time-deciding-and-if-that-throws-a-wrench-into-your-entire-life-then-F-you" attitude. All I'm saying is, please people, if you got into multiple schools and don't have extenuating circumstances, just make a decision and decline the other offers ASAP so that others that are stressing out and waiting can have their moment of glory too. Thank you.

That is not multiple deposits.........

If you have more than one acceptance take the school you would prefer out of that batch and go to your other interviews or wait to hear for late acceptance.

If you get into a better school make your deposit there and then withdraw from the other.............there should be very few circumstances in which you have more than one deposit at a time if you just hold on to your top accepted choice until something better comes around...