DICK VET c/o 2014 & 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyhi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off.....CONGRATULATIONS.....we made it :D

I figured it was time to start our own 'Class Of' thread. I combined both the GEP and 5yr classes since there are not too many of us.

This will be a great place for us to talk about moving abroad, visas, customs, schlepping all of our belongings across the pond, finding a flat, how we will survive the Scottish diet, EMS and oh-so-much-more.

We will make this journey together and come out somewhere on the other side. I can't wait to meet you all.

University of Edinburgh ROCKS :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Uh...what is the Scottish diet? Now you have me worried lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
HAGGIS AND BLOOD PUDDING :D

Nah, those are traditional scottish dishes (and disgusting, might I add), but people don't really eat that stuff very often, usually just special occasions.

The whole fish & chips sterotype is actually pretty legitimate, but I found that overall the diet over there isn't so different from here. There are probably fewer vegetarian options over there, if that applies to you, when compared with a lot of places in the states, but I can't imagine it being too much of an issue. All I can say is, be prepared to have difficulty finding peanut butter and normal barbeque sauce.

...no BBQ sauce?

They don't barbeque? I'm gonna have to go Texan on their asses then. Bringing a keg of good sauce, a barrel of good rub, and a whollllleeeee lotta TexJoy.

...no BBQ sauce?

They don't barbeque? I'm gonna have to go Texan on their asses then. Bringing a keg of good sauce, a barrel of good rub, and a whollllleeeee lotta TexJoy.

LOL! Going to college in Upstate New York was rough because the lack of REAL BBQ seriously depressed me. I'm not sure how I'd survive in Europe for four years without some properly cooked brisket and decent BBQ sauce. And TEXMEX food!

Yeah it was really strange. Whenever I was first got Scotland and started ordering bbq sauce with my burger/fries/whatever, they would bring this super liquidy stuff that tasted nothing like bbq. I learned from my other American friend who had been there for a while that they don't have real bbq. Also, I remember only a few select grocery stores carrying peanut butter

Mac and cheese Kraft style? Nada.

Life without Peanut Butter is like life without the Sun. :uhno:

I already have a "care package" list that I want my family and SO to ship to me:

1) Cuban coffee!!!
2) corn nuggets
3) PEANUT BUTTER (the jar, protein bars, anything peanut butter flavored)
4) Hot sauce/BBQ
5) Mojo
6) Guava
7) Ben and Jerry's Half Baked Ice cream
etc.

...can you tell I'm hispanic? lol

I think to keep me from being overly homesick, I am going to be cooking up themed dinners like Mexican night, Cuban night, Country night, Spanish night, Asian Fusion night and so on.

I've heard that most everything is fried. Anyone care for some deep fat fried lard balls?

Hmm, when I visited my very first meal was fabulous--locally grown chicken roasted with beautiful potatoes (blue ones!) and delicious carrots. It was impressive. And this from what looked like a regular old pub on the Royal Mile. Stodgy it was not!

At the same time, there were some not so great meals. Both times I had fish and chips in Scotland I wasn't too keen. The type of fish had a distinct flavor (I live in a fish & chips town in the states and so I have expectations, you know!)--I think it was Haddock--and the batter left something to be desired, IMO... But hey, that was just due to having eaten fish & chips a certain way my whole life, I am sure.

As for the Indian food, it was pretty good and there were lots of choices. I'll never start calling Indian dishes 'curries' but all of them that I had in Edinburgh were pretty good--almost as good as my favorite local Indian place... :rolleyes:

Oh, and there is this one amazing French bakery in town... :luck: Not too far behind Calton Hill. Worth a good walk... dangerous.

I wouldn't worry about Haggis and pudding and the like... that's optional... and from what I have heard, Haggis is actually good. But I have yet to sample it. Now the bacon... that is a bit different. I prefer thin-sliced to their thicker cuts...

I remember that their liverwurst/pate was incredible. My first try was in Glasgow in a pub called Gandalfe (I had to eat there just b/c of the LOTR reference :laugh:). Their lentil soup was really good and I know my fair share from my Cuban grandmother.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh and I completely forgot to add in their Walkers shortbread with or without a layer of chocolate. I couldn't stop scarfing them down when I hiked the Highlands.

I already have a "care package" list that I want my family and SO to ship to me:

1) Cuban coffee!!!
2) corn nuggets
4) Hot sauce/BBQ
5) Mojo
6) Guava
etc.

I think to keep me from being overly homesick, I am going to be cooking up themed dinners like Mexican night, Cuban night, Country night, Spanish night, Asian Fusion night and so on.

I'm coming over to visit at your house!

LOL I love having ppl over! Everyone is more than welcome especially when its one of those rainy cold days where we can't do much outside except study all day. If ya'll just want to have a random themed dinner then let's do it! I'm sure we will all have a laugh. Oh and I make killer Banana bread with ghiradelli chocolate chips inside. I hope Edin has my ingredients though! *Adds to the care package list*

Plus we have a Thanksgiving feast to do!

Mac and cheese Kraft style? Nada.

Life without Peanut Butter is like life without the Sun. :uhno:

(alright, I don't belong in this thread, but I did want to say something)

Calm down, calm down, everyone. :p

You CAN find peanut butter here, and fairly easily. Now, finding peanut butter that has ONLY peanuts in it... that's another story, and is a bit of a specialty item. Typically peanut butter will have added 'stuff'. For example, the current 'dog' peanut butter has: Peanuts (87%), sunflower oil, dextrose, vegetable fat, salt. (the dogs always have a jar of peanut butter in the house.)

However, in certain key locations you can buy Skippy (which also has all sorts of weird things in it, but...) which I know some people like.

(sneaking back out of this thread)

I'll come out of hiding and join in. I was a late application so i'm still getting stuff done, but I have a conditional acceptance for the 5 year program.

:soexcited:

I'll come out of hiding and join in. I was a late application so i'm still getting stuff done, but I have a conditional acceptance for the 5 year program.

:soexcited:

Woot Woot! I am so happy that so many of us are in the 5 year program! I was afraid I'd be one of the few older students amongst the sea of youngins.

Well, I must say my next big concern is where to live. Besides getting past the whole 1500 deposit and getting the financial guarantee finished.

Anyone else not wanting to live on campus? I was thinking about doing Pollock halls for the first five weeks (maybe) and then getting a flat with some fellow Dick Vets afterward. What is everyone else thinking? I wanted to try and get a place in June/July so I had somewhere to dump my stuff when I arrive on the 20th of July and my Mom and close friend can stay with me, but I hear you have to have a bank account to get an apartment and an address to get a bank account hahaha.

As the date nears, I think I already have one potential roomie/flattie? haha (;) fellow alaskan) but anyone else interested in possibly getting a place, especially those who have critters they can't keep in UniHousing for the 5 weeks? I really don't want to do the university housing thing. I've e-mailed some letting people but they told me its too far away and to check back in June (they obviously don't know how eager/anxious I am about this:scared:!)

Anyone else?

As the date nears, I think I already have one potential roomie/flattie? haha (;) fellow alaskan)
Anyone else?

Yup, that's me. I plan on getting my tickets for July 25th so I should be there directly after you. I took a look at the website for HSBC and it looks like you can't get a bank account until within 3 months of traveling over there so we have to wait on that too. It is frustrating because I think we are going to be trying to frantically apply for our visas, bank accounts, housing, etc. all this summer.

I think I'm gonna do what one girl in another thread did (Tiempo, I think) and live in the dorms for the 5 week bit and look for a flat during that time. I wonder how easy it is to find vet roommates in Scotland?

and getting the financial guarantee finished.

Is this the bank statement that says you have enough money in for tuition and rent?

I've got a conditional acceptance for the 5 year program, so don't worry you won't be the only older students! I'll be 25 when it starts.
Although I still haven't decided whether I'm actually going. *agonizes* I'm waiting to hear from Tufts after my interview.

If I DO go, I'd definitely be interested in getting a flat, even temporarily, with someone. I'm hoping I can bring my critters, 4 cats, along for the ride, and anticipating epic chaos in terms of visa/bank account/flat hunting/etc.

Whyever - how did your interview go? when are you supposed to hear?

Regarding having a bank account before getting a flat......i'm not too sure about this. I thought you did not need a bank acct in order to get private accomodations, but i'll have to go back and look at my notes.

Anyone planning on visiting before the start of school to look around and visit some flats?

Anyone planning on visiting before the start of school to look around and visit some flats?

I am planning on going over about 3 weeks early because that is all I can manage. Hopefully that will be enough time.

I'm heading over to the UK on August 21 and spending that first week there flat hunting before freshers week starts (the 13th)

Just so y'all know for planning purposes, Freshers Week is the 'start' of the 5yr program for Visa purposes, so you can get there as early as August 13th, if you want.

Whyever - how did your interview go? when are you supposed to hear?

Gah, I think it went well, but who knows? I should hear between Feb 25-Mar 2, based on what previous years' applicants have said.

Has anyone received their letter from the University for their visa?

1) Cuban coffee!!!
2) corn nuggets
4) Hot sauce/BBQ
5) Mojo
6) Guava
etc.

Haha... sorry to jump in on this cause because I don't actually attend Royal Dick, I go to Glasgow U - but I'm also from Miami and I imported 4 packages of Café Pilon just this past year! :D You're gonna be hard pressed to find anything hispanic over here... I've been here since Sept 08 and I still can't find black beans!! And I've been craving chili relleno but I can't find poblano peppers either!! :( But just so you know... they have Ben & Jerry's here. :thumbup:
Glasgow has a really great store called Lupe Pintos where you might be able to find some of the hard to get items. Check out the website, I think they have one in Edinburgh too... but if not, I think they deliver. Stateside Candy Co. is another good site, with a lot of US offerings (inc. BBQ sauces) but they tend to be expensive - but probably cheaper than having it mailed from the states. :)
Good luck... hope you enjoy Edinburgh!

Flyhi! Where have you been? I haven't received any information about visas just yet. I'm still conditional though.

PJLovin, thanks for the information. I've been wondering about Hispanic food. I would miss it terribly.

No, and from talking to Geraldine it doesn't sound like we will until they sort out the FAFSA stuff with Congress.

GEPs can't apply for their VISA until May/June anyways since you can't do it any sooner than 3 months (but no less than 6 weeks, I think) before the term starts. So even GEPs have time since most things can't be done until May/June anyways.

I don't think I've received any VISA information. I have an unconditional offer (still need the money so I can get the unconditional firm though). Hopefully I can get my other job back for a couple months so I can pay this and the flight fee soon.

I don't think I've received any VISA information. I have an unconditional offer (still need the money so I can get the unconditional firm though). Hopefully I can get my other job back for a couple months so I can pay this and the flight fee soon.

Note that I have no firm answer on this, however I did ask Geraldine if we could defer the deposit til later when we get our FAFSA funds as it'll be subtracted from our tuition any how. She said she'd 'get back to me, have to make a query first' on that, which may be a no, but at least it's not an outright no.

Note that I have no firm answer on this, however I did ask Geraldine if we could defer the deposit til later when we get our FAFSA funds as it'll be subtracted from our tuition any how. She said she'd 'get back to me, have to make a query first' on that, which may be a no, but at least it's not an outright no.
Please, please let us know the answer when you get one!! I asked for my job back today and we'll see if I can get rehired for 3-4 months. Contemplating asking my parents for the money until I can get the loan, but I've really never asked for money before and don't intend to start. If I can get the $2300 deposit (approximately based on exchange rate) to be taken out when I "have" money, then I'll purchase the plane seat. The plane ticket price has literally doubled since I last checked. Ugh. Anyone suggest a good site I haven't looked up that may be cheaper? (I'm avoiding all Dublin layover flights.) I've been doing awesome on avoiding credit card debt so far and don't want to start.

Oh, and Hopeful, are you still weighing out your options? Or are you set on Edinburgh?

Boy, I don't know Chii Chan. Coming from Alaska I was able to get a plane ticket for $750 on Condor. I'm not sure if Condor operates where you're coming from. Check it out on the Condor web site or look into Priceline. I used Priceline. Hope that helps.

Please, please let us know the answer when you get one!! I asked for my job back today and we'll see if I can get rehired for 3-4 months. Contemplating asking my parents for the money until I can get the loan, but I've really never asked for money before and don't intend to start. If I can get the $2300 deposit (approximately based on exchange rate) to be taken out when I "have" money, then I'll purchase the plane seat. The plane ticket price has literally doubled since I last checked. Ugh. Anyone suggest a good site I haven't looked up that may be cheaper? (I'm avoiding all Dublin layover flights.) I've been doing awesome on avoiding credit card debt so far and don't want to start.

studentuniverse.com has always served me well?

Oh, and Hopeful, are you still weighing out your options? Or are you set on Edinburgh?

Actually I think A&M is in the lead now. Repayment of the Edinburgh loan in 10 years means a monthly payment of ~$3,000, which leaves little left to actually live on, and I don't have the benefit of a spouse with additional income. May have to settle for studying abroad, or perhaps doing a residency over there.

studentuniverse.com has always served me well?
Thank you!!! They are the cheapest I've found yet! I'm not ready to book yet since I'm unsure on the cat situation. Is anyone doing Uni accommodation for the 5 weeks and looking for a flat? I might do this, but that means leaving poor Cheeto behind and having someone ship him over when I can have a cat. He can technically leave the country August 6th. (What great timing, right?) I'll leave 1 day earlier if I'm not taking him, otherwise I'll just push it on the 6th.

Does anyone know if they are tech friendly? If I'm going to ask for money from my parents, I want a tablet pc for school purposes only (no music, no stumble add-on to firefox, etc.). Do they have easy access to outlets or do they post a lot of notes online (.ppts, PDFs, etc.)?

I've no idea but on the subject of technology (more specifically plugs), I saw some voltage converters (120v to whatever they use over there) at Best Buy the other day for about $20. Likely can find it cheaper online though.

I don't understand how everyone is ok with the name of this school.

It literally kept me from even considering it as an option.

I don't need everyone to like me, but I definitely don't want to be known as a
"dick vet."

"dick vet."

R u serious? The founder of the vet school is named William Dick plus having the name Dick in your forename or surname is pretty common in the UK and doesn't have as much of the other phallic meaning as it does in the US. For not considering Edin or w/e school as an option just b/c the school is named after its founder is pretty shallow to me. I'm sorry but thats why everyone is ok with "Dick Vet". We arent being immature and representing the phallic symbol, we are representing the founder of our school. My apologies that our founder didn't have a better last name *sarcasm*

I don't know why but that just ticked me off.

"dick vet."

Oh that is absolutely ridiculous and several shades of immature. :sendoff:

SoBeVet, it ticks me off too.

*Rallies up a horde of angry Scots and charges @Pennvet :smuggrin::slap:*

"FOR WILLIAMMMM!!!!!!"

Followed by a charming little bag piper. Woot!

I hope this was a joke! Although I do think it's a little funny/ironic that my top two schools are called the Royal Dick College of vet studies and the Cummings School of vet med.

SoBe and Run....you both made me blow my wine out of my nose.........owwwwch...burn baby burn.

DogTyred- HERE i am :)

Pennvet is a typically WeeBee, or whatever you call dem guys :scared:

"dick vet."
Seriously? I'm so happy to be going to U of E next year one of my facebook posts was literally "going to be a Dick Vet".

You guys are crackin' me up! I think the name Dick Vet was a huge plus for me, personally.

Glad to see you Flyhi.

psjlg2, shouldn't you be studying for the biochem test? (hehe) I know I should. I'm sick of it.

Chii Chan, I did too. My profile on Facebook proudly announces "Dick Vet class of 2014!"

Last edited: