DICK VET c/o 2014 & 15

Started by flyhi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is Yvonne still in the office or should we be directing all questions to Geraldine? I sent an e-mail to Yvonne last night, but realized she may be out of the office already.



Chii Chan, I did too. My profile on Facebook proudly announces "Dick Vet class of 2014!"

👍
 
I would guess that she has had that baby or is very close to doing so. Just to be safe, I would address my emails to Geraldine.
 
Is Yvonne still in the office or should we be directing all questions to Geraldine? I sent an e-mail to Yvonne last night, but realized she may be out of the office already.





👍

Yvonne told me she is going on maternity leave on April. However, I still think you should email everything to Geraldine if she is covering for Yvonne during her maternity leave.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Two British clients stopped me in the parking lot the other day and asked me with much blushing WHY the school was called the Dick vet. I explained about William Dick and they were much relieved to hear of him. So yes, it does have a negative connotation here as well, but you have to embrace the name. 🙂 The Weegies WILL call us Dick Vets, so you have to loudly own it first. Gives them no ammunition. 😉

Congrats guys, you're gonna love it. Well, most of it. Don't stress the flat-hunting, and don't rush to commit to living with people before you know them. Spending the first five weeks in pollock is a great way to meet your class and learn the city. I've been privately renting since then, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Uni Accomodations is expensive and annoying to deal with by all accounts. My year will be moving out of the city in early/mid July, so watch your school e-mail accounts when you get them for available housing/"garage" sale notices.

Technology: A few people used laptops in lectures, but not regularly. There is wireless in the refectory and half the old building study areas (not lecture theaters) not sure about the new one (it's supposed to be thoroughly modern and in use by this fall). There is a computer room for student use in the small animal hospital and I imagine the new building will have many more and there are computers dotted around the small and large animal hospitals. I've found my ipod touch to be super useful for keeping up with e-mails on the wifi at school. A Laptop or desktop for studying at home is pretty essential as most of the notes are available on line as PowerPoints or PDFs, there are lots of computer assisted learning programs you don't want to have to go to the computer lab to use, and there are a couple of papers and presentations you have to make over the years.

The Mexican food here is pretty apalling, however it's made me a better cook, and yes we do have lupe pintos, and Costco (home of Skippys). A lot of the things we missed most when we got here have cropped up on Sainsbury's shelves over the years (Betty Crocker cake mix and Bisquick!) so the world is shrinking.

I highly recommend Haggis, neeps and tatties when you get the chance and be on the lookout for deep fried mars bars. Hard to find these days, but totally worth it.

Cheers!
 
You're gonna be hard pressed to find anything hispanic over here... I've been here since Sept 08 and I still can't find black beans!!

PJ, have you tried a big Sainsbury's? I mean, I know Glasgow is like a different universe and all 🙂D 😉) but I can get black beans in the larger Sainsbury's in Edinburgh. If there isn't one close, try their delivery service! The black beans are the boxed variety, no salt added, but they're black beans!

Can't help you on the poblanos - haven't been able to find those either.

Long live Lupe Pinto's!
 
My year will be moving out of the city in early/mid July, so watch your school e-mail accounts when you get them for available housing/"garage" sale notices.
Cheers!

Do you have any idea when we will get school e-mail accounts? Do we have to be unconditional firm? I'll be making my way across the pond on July 20th and would love to find a flat to rent instead of doing Uni Housing, which is sounding to be very spendy, and especially with the cost of B&B's for a week for my mom and I while we visit before term starts, it was outrageous!!! Renting a flat would be much cheaper and I would have a place to stash all my luggage instead of having to haul it around the highlands with me when I go up north for a visit after I arrive

Any-who....happy spring break!
 
Woot Woot! I am so happy that so many of us are in the 5 year program! I was afraid I'd be one of the few older students amongst the sea of youngins.

I'll be turning 27 in Oct so you definately won't be the oldest.

Well, I must say my next big concern is where to live. Besides getting past the whole 1500 deposit and getting the financial guarantee finished.

Anyone else not wanting to live on campus? I was thinking about doing Pollock halls for the first five weeks (maybe) and then getting a flat with some fellow Dick Vets afterward. What is everyone else thinking? I wanted to try and get a place in June/July so I had somewhere to dump my stuff when I arrive on the 20th of July and my Mom and close friend can stay with me, but I hear you have to have a bank account to get an apartment and an address to get a bank account hahaha.

Anyone else?

I plan on getting my own place, I don't want to live in residence. I didn't really enjoy it in college so I don't plan on doing it again. Plus I am bringing one of my birds with me so I can't do it anyway.

Are there any other Canadians going? or am I going to be the only one. At least I know there are a few Americans going so i'll be able to understand some people. 🙄
 
Hey Medic9 nice to have you on here!!!
I'm an Alaskan (northern neighbor 😉) and one other Alaskan is going so you certainly won't be alone, and there seems to be quite a few really great lower 48'ers going as well so it should be a fantastic group!
 
Hey Medic9 nice to have you on here!!!
I'm an Alaskan (northern neighbor 😉) and one other Alaskan is going so you certainly won't be alone, and there seems to be quite a few really great lower 48'ers going as well so it should be a fantastic group!

Thanks, i'm really excited. I feel like there is so little time before I go but at the same time so much time.

So much to do before hand!
 
PJ, have you tried a big Sainsbury's? I mean, I know Glasgow is like a different universe and all 🙂D 😉) but I can get black beans in the larger Sainsbury's in Edinburgh. If there isn't one close, try their delivery service! The black beans are the boxed variety, no salt added, but they're black beans!

Can't help you on the poblanos - haven't been able to find those either.

Long live Lupe Pinto's!

I'll have to check it out.... gotta admit, never looked for beans in a box before. I'm so used to buying it in a can. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to find them.🙄 Thanks for the info!! 😀 👍
 
psjlg2, I can't remember when i got my account, but it might not be until you matriculate. I'll keep my eyes open and if several start cropping up I'll PM you for your e-mail address. I expect it'll be May/June time. (Nudge me if I forget)

Oh and best thing about britain? The four-week-long Spring breaks. 😉 Sadly only two weeks in final year, but enjoy the other 3 or 4.
 
psjlg2, I can't remember when i got my account, but it might not be until you matriculate. I'll keep my eyes open and if several start cropping up I'll PM you for your e-mail address. I expect it'll be May/June time. (Nudge me if I forget)

Oh and best thing about britain? The four-week-long Spring breaks. 😉 Sadly only two weeks in final year, but enjoy the other 3 or 4.
🙂 Thanks for joining us on here! I might be messaging you if I have questions...

Spring break is 4 weeks long???? Wow. Well, I guess I really will go back home (hopefully for at least for a week) during Christmas break since I know I'll have plenty of time to get my EMS done during spring break! How long is Christmas break? All I know January 2nd is a holiday.
 
Christmas is usually 3 weeks. Many of your holidays will be filled with farm or clinical Experience which can be done either in Britain or your homeland. Except lambing. I highly recommend expecting to do that here your first Easter.
 
Costco (home of Skippys)

Scotvet - thanks for all of the great info! while you had tons of great info, the above is the absolute most important 😀

I will rent a private flat and want the best location in order to get home to let the pups out in a most convenient way during any breaks.....so city or somewhere like Roslin? i understand classes for us may not be out at EB until next year?? Location of my flat/house is of most importance to me.

thanks again!
 
From what I understand Edinburgh is actually a rather small city, so anywhere you get within the 'core' of it will be within a 10 - 20 minute walk of anywhere else that you need to be.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to ask if anyone else received their acceptance package from Edinburgh yet? HopefulAG got her package March 1st and its been a week and half since that post and I still did not receive anything. Is anyone else having the same problem?
 
I got a pack, but that was ages ago....February? Unless this is something different, I got a pack with info on EMS, the Financial Guarantee, how to pay be credit card.....some other shenanigans.

Is that helpful? Were you a late applicant? Or did I not get a packet myself!!!? I am conditional until I graduate in may......
 
Hi guys! I'm coming to visit Dick Vet during my spring break, March 30-April 7. I know this is technically during your university break/lambing season, but will any current students be around the city for a few days? I spoke to Yvonne and she's coordinating a tour of the school for me and I'd love to meet up with some of you if possible...

Thanks!
~Daniella
 
I should have know my Sallie Mae app. was going to be useless. I could apply to Wells Fargo, but I don't know if I should or not. It is a tough call, either I hold out like everyone else at the moment (I wonder how many people are in this class) and or try to find some kind of private lender or bank like Wells Fargo. Has anyone else put in an app. to other places? This is very frustrating, I wish this wasn't happening to us, but no use in complaining.
 
I've no idea but on the subject of technology (more specifically plugs), I saw some voltage converters (120v to whatever they use over there) at Best Buy the other day for about $20. Likely can find it cheaper online though.
A bit of an aside, but you don't need a voltage converter for a laptop or most mass market electronics, because most cables have a voltage converter already in that box part that's in the middle of the cord or even in the device itself. Companies dont want to make a different product for every region, so they just make them work in all of the regions with just a plug change - this is why your laptop cable is in two parts usually - they just ship different plug shapes with wherever the computer is being shipped off to.

Check your device and it should have a CE written somewhere on it, along with the standard UL that means it was tested by the Underwriters Laboratory so it's safe to use in the US. The CE means it conforms to european union standards (Conformité Européenne if you really want to know) - anything with this written on it, you can just change the plug shape with a cheapo changer you can get at any travel store (will be maybe $1 or so) and it will be fine anywhere in basically any european country you're likely to ever visit. The electrical device should also have something about accepting 110-220V AC input, but really all it needs is the CE mark and you're good to go with just a plug shape changer for most laptops, video cameras, digital cameras, etc.

:the more you know:
 
Last edited:
If you have a car Roslin or Loanhead are great places to start looking. All teaching is meant to be out at Bush once the new building is in use. Currently it's still in scaffolding but they are still saying Fall '10 for it's opening. The admins might can tell you if there will still be any lectures at the central campus. It'll be cheaper and easier to find pet accom out of the city. I live right on the edge of town at Kaimes crossroads. I can catch a bus into Easter Bush easily (10-15 min. Depending on traffic) but it takes me an hour to walk all the way into town (say the meadows). You can also get a bus to Bush from the morningside section of town. More later, I'm due in trot-up!
 
sorry, that last was to der2002. Forgot to quote message in reply.

The first response was to FlyHi. When you're looking at flats try google mapping them and think about how you plan to travel. Edinburgh is very much not flat. I can walk to town in an hour, but I've never tried walking back. There's one of those long, low grade killer hills between here and there! There are two girls in my year who run to Bush every morning rain or shine from Morningside, but the general consensus is that they're nutters. Several people bike. Lots of people bus or drive. The university is looking into improving bus links between Bush and town. A lot of people like to start out living in town near the meadows for social reasons. You will definitely pay more to be in town, and parking can be a bit difficult I've heard. If you're super keen on doing the logistical math, the bus company is lothianbuses.co.uk
 
Thanks ScotVet for your valuable information! I'll keep all your tips and advice in mind!! Much appreciated!👍
 
ScotVet, what about people without cars? Is it easy enough to rent a car for, say, a weekend trip up to the highlands or something?
 
ScotVet, what about people without cars? Is it easy enough to rent a car for, say, a weekend trip up to the highlands or something?


I'd say that's fairly simple. One guy in my class did some weekend trip up to Inverness of something a while ago. Just be careful driving on the left side of the road!
 
ScotVet, what about people without cars? Is it easy enough to rent a car for, say, a weekend trip up to the highlands or something?
Several of my friends have done it. Be sure to specify automatic if necessary. Manual is default here. If you plan to get a car after moving here then you need a UK license but your US license is valid up to a year here for tourist purposes. Canadians can just trade their license for a UK one butUS drivers must start from scratch.
 
I'd say that's fairly simple. One guy in my class did some weekend trip up to Inverness of something a while ago. Just be careful driving on the left side of the road!
Haha, yes! I've done ok when I've been there in the past, the roundabouts are the only thing that get me confused. I've got friends up in Helmsdale that I'd like to be able to go see!

Several of my friends have done it. Be sure to specify automatic if necessary. Manual is default here. If you plan to get a car after moving here then you need a UK license but your US license is valid up to a year here for tourist purposes. Canadians can just trade their license for a UK one butUS drivers must start from scratch.
Good to know. Do US drivers have to take a driving test, etc, to get a license there? Is it the same process as in the US, or similar?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha, yes! I've done ok when I've been there in the past, the roundabouts are the only thing that get me confused. I've got friends up in Helmsdale that I'd like to be able to go see!


Good to know. Do US drivers have to take a driving test, etc, to get a license there? Is it the same process as in the US, or similar?
A written theory and hazard perception test then a practical driving test. Similar to my state. If you're looking into getting a car keep in mind tax, MOT, petrol and parking add up quickly.
 
Yeah, that must be why, DogTyred. I got my student mentor e-mail this morning! 🙂

Someone named Jennifer Quinn.

What qualifications do they use to match us up again? The e-mail didn't say much.
 
I haven't paid my deposit and still got assigned a mentor, who knows?

Her name is Nicole I think I'll e-mail her in a bit and introduce myself.
 
Yeah, that must be why, DogTyred. I got my student mentor e-mail this morning! 🙂

Someone named Jennifer Quinn.

What qualifications do they use to match us up again? The e-mail didn't say much.

Thanks Chii Chan, I sent my deposit in today. This is exciting news because I was getting tired of nothing really happening lately.
 
Thanks Chii Chan, I sent my deposit in today. This is exciting news because I was getting tired of nothing really happening lately.
Hopefully the exchange rate doesn't screw you over! I sent in my deposit Monday and it showed up on my credit card today. It only went up USD $4 from Monday. Not too bad. 🙂

However, I didn't know about the foreign exchange charge/fee Chase dings you with. In the long run, $67 isn't much, but it still sucks. At least I got mileage for my deposit!!!
 
Hey guys, what's the situation with filing taxes in the US when you're going to school over there? How does it all work? Thanks.
 
Hey everyone, Chii Chan made a helpful suggestion about checking my spam when I was sad that I didn't get my mentor email. She's the best! There it was.🙂 So, if you haven't gotten yours, look there. However, if you're not in the GEP, it may not be there yet. Sorry SoBeVet.
 
I am checking my email by euclid, but I have yet to receive a mentor, am I looking in the right place or is there another email account I have yet to find. Also has anyone started their student visa's yet or we still not allowed to do that until May 1st?
 
I am trying to find my email account and EEVEC account. I need a matriculation number, but all I have is my username number for EUCLID and UCAS number. I have a feeling the EUCLID is not my email accoutn and I am trying to figure out where I can make an account and how to set up my EEVEC. Anyone have any idea how to do this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My student mentor's name was emailed to me at my personal email account, the one I included in my VMCAS application.

As for receiving a University of Edinburgh email address and EEVEC account, I believe you need an "unconditional firm" acceptance first (as opposed to the temporary "conditional" acceptance). Not sure whether or not that applies to you, but it might be the reason why we haven't received any further info about it.
 
I just got into the unconditional acceptance on Tuesday, but I have yet to receive any information about setting up a an email account or EEVEC so I sent something to the Help Desk at Edinburgh, I did just get my mentor on my gmail account, so I am happy about that. I am still trying to get used to all these new things.
 
Yeah, that must be why, DogTyred. I got my student mentor e-mail this morning! 🙂

Someone named Jennifer Quinn.

What qualifications do they use to match us up again? The e-mail didn't say much.

Jennifer is an SDNer! She is a first year GEP from NY, i believe. I still haven't gotten my mentor and i paid my deposit last year :laugh:. 5 yr program, though.
 
Jennifer is an SDNer! She is a first year GEP from NY, i believe. I still haven't gotten my mentor and i paid my deposit last year :laugh:. 5 yr program, though.
Cool! Thanks for the info! 🙂

I still have to contact her. I'm not entirely sure what to say or that I have any questions right now that she could answer.

Hopefully you get your mentor soon!!
 
Does anyone know what vaccinations we need to have, and when we have to have them done by? I know we need rabies, but do we need to be done with the series before we enter in the fall?