M.D./D.M.D. Dual Degree Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psupredental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone new of any dental schools that offer a medical degree and a dental degree (usually six year program). I know Nova Southeastern and Case Western do. Any others?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, can anyone think of a place in the workforce, maybe in a hospital setting, for a dual degree graduate like that? I was interested in Case's program as well but I don't see much use for the dual degree besides oral surgery, really. I mean, as a practicing dentist or as an MD (either way) I don't think the extra degree is going to help you make any more $ than you would as a single degree practicing in that respective field. Or am I completely wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone new of any dental schools that offer a medical degree and a dental degree (usually six year program). I know Nova Southeastern and Case Western do. Any others?

Thanks

Doesn't nova offer the DO degree, not the MD?

Dr. Supre Dental, DMD, DO would be so weird. Who would do this?

Then, why would anybody take an advantage of this? Hmmmph, any opinion?

Isn't the intent for a more rural practice where someone with minimal access to healthcare could have their dentistry and general health checked in the same visit? I recall that being in the mission statement when it first was announced.

Isn't the intent for a more rural practice where someone with minimal access to healthcare could have their dentistry and general health checked in the same visit? I recall that being in the mission statement when it first was announced.

Ahhh, I see but the program seems to be attractive for future oral surgeons lol. BTW, Isn't that the argument for mid-level providers as well?

No this route is not the future for OMFS or GP's

Nova gives the DO, not the MD degree.

It is suppose to be for practicing in rural areas where there are access to care problems. You can see the doctor and the dentist in one stop shopping.

Although I am sure it would be cool to have both dergrees, I don't see how you can be the best doctor or dentist you can be if you're constantly trying to do both.

The exception brought up to that is being a dual degree OMFS. OMFS is different because dual degree OMFS have pretty much the same scope of practice as single degree OMFS (but that's another topic which is actually going on in the dental residency forum right now)

Yeah it is for rural practice. This is what Case told me when I talked with them about it last year. Heres the thing. If you want to be an awesome dentist become a dentist. If you want to be an awesome physician be come a physician . Trying to become both in 5 years may not make you very expert in either. IMHO

Are the DMD/MD, DMD/DO graduates required to complete Family practice residency similar to their MD counterparts?

The schools who offer those doctor+dentist degress say they want primary care doctors to work in low-doctor populated areas and be able to handle any primary care situation.

My opinion about these programs is that they are designed for those who... Really love dentistry but also have large eggos to fullfil (hance the doctor degree)...

Ahhh, I see but the program seems to be attractive for future oral surgeons lol. BTW, Isn't that the argument for mid-level providers as well?

If you're planning on OMFS,this program doesn't help you at all.

DMD/MD Path to OMFS - 5 years DMD/MD + 1 year internship to license MD+ 4 years OMFS = 10 years

Regular path - 4 years dental school + 6 years OMFS/MD = 10 years

No difference!

OMFS I guess is a one way passage to acquire an MD, its worth a shot 'coz you can acquire instantly a Medical degree and instant Specialization in OMFS.. Its not a bad thing at all.. :)

It seems interesting to be able to practice both but would be difficult. But out of curiousity, can you choose to practice what you want, in other words do with it what you wish either practice as an MD or DMD? Would you be able to compete for a residency (and have the same chance as those with only MD degrees from other universities) and take only the MD road after, or choose a dental speciality and only take the DMD road? Anyone know?

if you want md do md. if you want dmd/dds do dmd/dds. almost none of us are going to become omfs (like we expect) so it's unwise to put all your eggs in the oral surgery basket.

best of luck