Bachelor's Degree: Which Dental schools "DO NOT" require them to be accepted??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bachelor's Degree: Which Dental schools "DO NOT" require them for a student to be accepted?

I know if you have one you are considered more highly over those do not.

**** Please save your opinions on this topic, Just list any dental schools that do not require a Bachelor's degree-- if you know of any ****

I know UoP does not require it

Members don't see this ad.

Kentucky does not require it, but gives preference in scheduling interviews to those that have their bachelors. I feel like it's similar in most other schools that I have looked at.

I was wondering the same thing last year. Out of all the schools I was considering, the only school that did require a bach degree was harvard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing last year. Out of all the schools I was considering, the only school that did require a bach degree was harvard.

Harvard and Howard must get confused one for the other a lot- kind of like identical twins. Harvard, however, is not among the few schools that do require a B degree which would include Howard, Boston, NC and UI.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602095

Harvard and Howard must get confused one for the other a lot- kind of like identical twins. Harvard, however, is not among the few schools that do require a B degree which would include Howard, Boston, NC and UI.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602095

I'm not confusing Harvard with Howard...:confused:

This is from the HSDM website:
All applicants are required to have at least a bachelor's degree in order to apply for the DMD program.

I'm not confusing Harvard with Howard...:confused:

This is from the HSDM website:

With over 1K applicants for 35 spots it is conceivable that Harvard could settle for nothing less than an M.S. or a Ph.D. However, the information in the 2010/2009 does not indicate a B.S. as a requirement and their website appears to beat around the bush.

Does uic require a bachelors? On their website it has conflicting information

With over 1K applicants for 35 spots it is conceivable that Harvard could settle for nothing less than an M.S. or a Ph.D. However, the information in the 2010/2009 does not indicate a B.S. as a requirement and their website appears to beat around the bush.

If you go to their website and click on Admissions Requirements, the very first sentence is "All applicants are required to have at least a bachelor's degree in order to apply for the DMD program."

So, I think it's beaten right into the bush.

UIC requires a minimum of 3 years.

The 2008 entering class of UIC had 61 with a bachelor degree, 19 with a master degree, and 0 with anything less than a bachelors.

Hey,
I have a friend who just graduated from dental school. When he applied, he chose schools that didn't explicitly require a bachelor's degree, because he was going to be about 12 credits shy of his degree in microbiology. When he was accepted (to 3 schools), they each told him that in order to matriculate, he HAD to have a degree. That spring semester he ended up taking 27 undergrad credits... I've never seen a kid multitask as much as he did!

I actually spoke with Ann Shorrock (who no longer is in admissions) and Dr. Pendleton and I was told that UIC does require a BA/BS. This wasn't a requirement three years ago, but it is now a requirement and it is on their website.

http://dentistry.uic.edu/depts/admissions/dds/requirements.cfm?m=2&o=2

I think the trend is going to more schools making a BA/BS a requirement like BioChem.

Howard changed their requirement about four years ago and people (albeit a few) were admitted with just the 3+ years.

Hope this helps

Hey,
I have a friend who just graduated from dental school. When he applied, he chose schools that didn't explicitly require a bachelor's degree, because he was going to be about 12 credits shy of his degree in microbiology. When he was accepted (to 3 schools), they each told him that in order to matriculate, he HAD to have a degree. That spring semester he ended up taking 27 undergrad credits... I've never seen a kid multitask as much as he did!

Whoa! How is that even possible!?!? I couldn't fathom taking that many classes!! The most I ever did was 21 and I was at school everyday for like eight hours!!! I hope that all of those classes weren't in the sciences.

Whoa! How is that even possible!?!? I couldn't fathom taking that many classes!! The most I ever did was 21 and I was at school everyday for like eight hours!!! I hope that all of those classes weren't in the sciences.

It was seriously unbelievable. we had like 12 credits of upper division micro classes, and he set up an arrangement with our micro professors and our school so that he didn't have to attend the micro classes, just receive notes and take tests at scheduled times. He also got approval from the university to be enrolled in classes that overlapped (with respect to time). For instance, he had comm 101 at the same time that we had pathogenic microbiology.

What a smart cookie! He obviously proved that he could handle all of that... I mean honestly I was an engineering major in undergrad and my toughest semester included one science without a lab. That kid is going to ace dental school and literally be able to handle anything that comes his way!!

I hope we end up at the same place, I would recruit him to be in my study group.

If you go to their website and click on Admissions Requirements, the very first sentence is "All applicants are required to have at least a bachelor's degree in order to apply for the DMD program."
So, I think it's beaten right into the bush.

The first sentence may be "beaten right into the bush", but the second appears to be beating around the bush but if it makes you happy.... The 2010 ADEA Guide does not specify the bacc requirement. Maybe Harvard never got to it or...

"All applicants are required to have at least a bachelor's degree in order to apply for the DMD program. Applications will be considered for students completing their final year of an undergraduate degree." Candidates are required to take the following courses as a prerequisite

UIC requires a minimum of 3 years.

The 2008 entering class of UIC had 61 with a bachelor degree, 19 with a master degree, and 0 with anything less than a bachelors.

Under Preparation for UIC a baccalaureate is listed as required in the 2010 ADEA Guide.

Tufts rounds out the list.

The first sentence may be "beaten right into the bush", but the second appears to be beating around the bush but if it makes you happy.... The 2010 ADEA Guide does not specify the bacc requirement. Maybe Harvard never got to it or...

"All applicants are required to have at least a bachelor's degree in order to apply for the DMD program. Applications will be considered for students completing their final year of an undergraduate degree." Candidates are required to take the following courses as a prerequisite

Well, it's just semantics now. Obviously this means that you can apply after your junior year and before your senior year of college, which is quite common to do. With the first sentence, it's understood that it's conditional upon the completion of the bachelor's degree. I took the OP's original question to ask if you could go to a school without completion of the bachelor's degree, because some schools do not.

Well, it's just semantics now. Obviously this means that you can apply after your junior year and before your senior year of college, which is quite common to do. With the first sentence, it's understood that it's conditional upon the completion of the bachelor's degree. I took the OP's original question to ask if you could go to a school without completion of the bachelor's degree, because some schools do not.

Nice of you to interpret the meaning of "in order to apply".