2010-2011 University of South Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who has applied been invited for an interview yet? I recently submitted my secondary and was wondering how long the wait is before they give you a decision regarding an interview. Anyone who has been invited care to share their stats?

I was invited for an interview via email Friday. The email stated that most interview dates in September are still open and I haven't scheduled a date yet. I think they are just beginning the interview process. I submitted AMCAS early June and was complete mid-July. I have no idea how they prioritize interview invites, but I am in-state, applied early and have decent stats.

There is some pretty good info from "slants" in last year's school specific thread on the process.

Good luck! I hope you have a successful application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, Econ2MD, I also went from Economics to pursuing a career in medicine. Are you non-trad or just an Econ major?

Also, Econ2MD, I also went from Economics to pursuing a career in medicine. Are you non-trad or just an Econ major?
Nontrad about a decade out of undergrad. I interviewed last week, and I think it went well. It sounds like I won't know anything until mid-November at the earliest. They admit a few applicants each month and a majority are accepted in mid-March. They do not over-admit, and there are 46 net MD only spots available this year. They form a ranked waitlist (from what I understand) of 30 applicants, and have pulled as few as ten and as many as 28 off the waitlist to fill the class.

I cannot stress to you how important the whole "strong ties to the state" policy is. If you live and work in SD and plan on staying permanently and practicing here, I'd suggest highlighting that. Maybe send Jill Christopherson an email and drive the point home. Or call or stop by and introduce yourself. Their main emphasis is training physicians to meet SD's healthcare needs, and the state funds the school to this end. The more you can sell yourself as genuinely committed to the state the better your chances will be.
Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions, as I am not a prolific poster on the forum and sometimes the SD school-specific thread is easily buried.
Good luck!

Did anyone get an email today saying that their application was reviewed at the November admissions committee meeting and that you would be getting a letter later this week?

Did anyone get an email today saying that their application was reviewed at the November admissions committee meeting and that you would be getting a letter later this week?

Yes, I received a similar email today as well. When did you interview? Are you an SD resident?

Yes, I received a similar email today as well. When did you interview? Are you an SD resident?

I interviewed October 26th. I thought that only people who were accepted would receive letters this week. I am a pseudo-SD resident (work and live here) but still technically a Minnesotan. How about yourself? When did you interview?

I interviewed October 26th. I thought that only people who were accepted would receive letters this week. I am a pseudo-SD resident (work and live here) but still technically a Minnesotan. How about yourself? When did you interview?

I interviewed on October 13th. Further, I am an SD resident. During my interview session I was also told that acceptances were sent in this manner. Congrats to the both of us!

I interviewed on October 13th. Further, I am an SD resident. During my interview session I was also told that acceptances were sent in this manner. Congrats to the both of us!

Nice!

Last edited:
Econ2MD, exactly how long have you been out of undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to those who received acceptance letters after the November meeting. I know I was absolutely thrilled to receive "the good email." :horns:

Does anyone out there know if there is a specific computer requirement?
Thanks

Thanks

no. i go to USD now. there's a SLIGHT problem in the fact that you can't run a couple random programs on a mac. half of my class (the class of 2014) has macs, and none of us have had a problem yet. you do need to HAVE a laptop though, i'd say.

Thanks

Hey Reo, there is no laptop requirement. I wouldn't say that you need a laptop. I am a 3rd year at this school, and did not use a laptop at all yet. Just a desktop computer.

I would recommend a PDA though (like an ipod touch) for the clinical years.

Got the official acceptance letter in the mail today!

Congrats FlankerDoc.

As the multiple medical school acceptances start rolling in, you're really going to need to consider what things make a medical school great.

I am currently an MS3 and when I was at your stage, I was a bit cocky after my acceptance. I walked into the Dean's office and asked him, "After I get my acceptances elsewhere, why should I come to USD?" Yeah it wasn't my most humble moment.

He told me this and now every time I see a pre-med applicant I tell them the same thing and I feel it's completely true and a significantly downplayed part of the program.

The truth is, everyone knows the first two years of medical school prepare you for the USMLE Step 1 exam. That's all those two years are really for, and does it make a difference if you are sitting in a classroom all day at USD or a big name Ivy league school. Maybe, or maybe not.

However, where this program really shines, is the clinical years. We are working directly with attendings. No fellows, senior residents, junior residents, or interns snatching up valuable clinical experiences. I personally have first assisted in over 200 surgeries and have delivered about 12 babies. And by delivered I mean literally caught them. And we are expected to do 20 before the end of our third year. This is only my experience in the third year, I can't wait for my MS4 year.

Ask any other third year medical student in the country how many babies they have delivered or how many surgeries they have first assisted on. You'll find our clinical experience is hard to beat. Residencies programs know this, we have a proven track record that is reaffirmed by our match statistics year after year.

I had an opportunity to tell this to one of the applicants that Jill was showing around the other day. I think I caught him off guard a bit.

Just something to think about when choosing a medical school. ;)

Good luck everyone! :xf:

Congrats FlankerDoc.

As the multiple medical school acceptances start rolling in, you're really going to need to consider what things make a medical school great.

I am currently an MS3 and when I was at your stage, I was a bit cocky after my acceptance. I walked into the Dean's office and asked him, "After I get my acceptances elsewhere, why should I come to USD?" Yeah it wasn't my most humble moment.

He told me this and now every time I see a pre-med applicant I tell them the same thing and I feel it's completely true and a significantly downplayed part of the program.

The truth is, everyone knows the first two years of medical school prepare you for the USMLE Step 1 exam. That's all those two years are really for, and does it make a difference if you are sitting in a classroom all day at USD or a big name Ivy league school. Maybe, or maybe not.

However, where this program really shines, is the clinical years. We are working directly with attendings. No fellows, senior residents, junior residents, or interns snatching up valuable clinical experiences. I personally have first assisted in over 200 surgeries and have delivered about 12 babies. And by delivered I mean literally caught them. And we are expected to do 20 before the end of our third year. This is only my experience in the third year, I can't wait for my MS4 year.

Ask any other third year medical student in the country how many babies they have delivered or how many surgeries they have first assisted on. You'll find our clinical experience is hard to beat. Residencies programs know this, we have a proven track record that is reaffirmed by our match statistics year after year.

I had an opportunity to tell this to one of the applicants that Jill was showing around the other day. I think I caught him off guard a bit.

Just something to think about when choosing a medical school. ;)

Good luck everyone! :xf:

Thanks for all the great advice! Other people have commented on the great clinical experiences but it helps to hear it from someone currently in their clinical years.

I just got an acceptance letter from the U this week! I was shocked, as I failed to make the alternate list with last year's application. I'm a Med Lab Scientist with Sanford Medical Center who is a MN transplant and did undergrad at SDSU.

I'm excited by the offer, but I still have some thinking to do on what school is the best fit for me. The DO program at Des Moines University made a really good impression and had great simulation labs.

So, maybe see some of you this fall! :)

Anybody attending 2nd Look Day this Saturday?

Yes, I am going to the 2nd look extravaganza.

Woah, pretty sure you jumped a couple excitement levels there! :D

What time does it start? I must have deleted the email a while back when I didn't think I'd be able to get out of work...:smack:

Woah, pretty sure you jumped a couple excitement levels there! :D

What time does it start? I must have deleted the email a while back when I didn't think I'd be able to get out of work...:smack:

Enthusiasm can be a beneficial trait!
Check-in is 10:45.

We have what I am assuming to be the most boring SDN thread. However I am excited for our social lives to end and for school to begin.

Someone needs to step up to the plate and make a SSOM Class of 2015 Facebook group.

Someone needs to step up to the plate and make a SSOM Class of 2015 Facebook group.

Already been done! You need to be added to the group in order to join. Didn't Jill send you the link? Maybe you haven't been accepted yet...JK!wouldn't that suck? You can't matriculate until it’s facebook official. hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.