2023-2024 Medical University of South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Medical University of South Carolina

1. Please discuss your primary interest in attending the Medical University of South Carolina. (2000 characters)

2. We desire to train students and physicians to work with the diverse patients of our state and nation. Please share any important aspects of your background, identity, and/or experiences that have impacted your ability to relate to and work with diverse communities and patient populations. (3000 characters)

3. For re-applicants- If you are a re-applicant, please describe what you have done since last applying (i.e. your activities, involvement, preparedness, etc.) to strengthen your candidacy for medical school. (2000 characters)

4. For out-of-state applicants- If you are not a legal resident of South Carolina, please describe in detail your strong Close Ties to South Carolina. Close Ties are defined as: (1) Having lived in SC for multiple years, (2) Parents who currently live full-time in SC, (3) Completed the majority of your education in SC (i.e. enrolled in or graduate of an undergraduate and/or graduate degree from a South Carolina institution), (4) and/or Currently living in and/or working in South Carolina. (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@chilly_md
IS received, here are the prompts:

Please discuss your primary interest in attending the Medical University of South Carolina. (2000 characters)

We desire to train students and physicians to work with the diverse patients of our state and nation. Please share any important aspects of your background, identity, and/or experiences that have impacted your ability to relate to and work with diverse communities and patient populations. (3000 characters)

For re-applicants- If you are a re-applicant, please describe what you have done since last applying (i.e. your activities, involvement, preparedness, etc.) to strengthen your candidacy for medical school. (2000 characters)

For out-of-state applicants- If you are not a legal resident of South Carolina, please describe in detail your strong Close Ties to South Carolina. Close Ties are defined as: (1) Having lived in SC for multiple years, (2) Parents who currently live full-time in SC, (3) Completed the majority of your education in SC (i.e. enrolled in or graduate of an undergraduate and/or graduate degree from a South Carolina institution), (4) and/or Currently living in and/or working in South Carolina. (3000 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary four days ago and still no confirmation email - anyone else not get one?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received the MSTP secondary? Will it be emailed?

I'm lowkey nervous that I didn't have to submit a fee or anything, has anyone spoken with the admissions office about this and received an answer yet?

I'm lowkey nervous that I didn't have to submit a fee or anything, has anyone spoken with the admissions office about this and received an answer yet?
Admissions said that what has been sent out so far is not the secondary - they are just supplemental questions. They said that after further screening, the secondary will be sent out and the fee will be paid then.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they still planning to send out secondary? lollll my last one, really wanna get it done with

on their website they wrote:
  • Due to a recent Supreme Court decision our supplemental application to the program, is currently under revision and review. Please revisit our website in August for an update to this section as your MSTP application will serve as the secondary application for both the Doctor of Medicine program and for the MSTP. No additional application is required to be considered for both programs. However, if you would like to also be considered for the MD only program, you must notify us of this intention.
so it seems they still plan to send out some type of secondary

• Due to a recent Supreme Court decision our supplemental application to the program, is currently under revision and review. Please revisit our website in August for an update to this section as your MSTP application will serve as the secondary application for both the Doctor of Medicine program and for the MSTP. No additional application is required to be considered for both programs. However, if you would like to also be considered for the MD only program, you must notify us of this intention.
their wording is so confusing :(

their wording is so confusing :(
I called earlier today and they said the same thing to me. They said to expect it within this week or the next week though so fingers crossed

The actual secondary right? Not a supplemental application
It is a weird supplemental application basically asking you to pay the 95$. After paying for it, then you will receive directions to basically tell you fill out your actual secondary in a PDF and send it to an email address.

It is a weird supplemental application basically asking you to pay the 95$. After paying for it, then you will receive directions to basically tell you fill out your actual secondary in a PDF and send it to an email address.
The MD only secondary (which I received today) isn't like this. The MD only one has a portal for you to basically re-enter details easily found in your primary app in their secondary app and pay the 95$, no essays.

Did anyone get a confirmation email that the application is complete/under review? I got a the submitted email w a link to check the portal but it just shows the primary and secondary received

Have any non-MTSP applicants heard or received anything after submitting the supplemental questions? I submitted my supplemental questions on 7/28 and still haven't heard anything?

Have any non-MTSP applicants heard or received anything after submitting the supplemental questions? I submitted my supplemental questions on 7/28 and still haven't heard anything?
I submitted the supplemental questions and the secondary app with the $95 fee, but I didn't get any sort of under review/complete email. Just a link to a portal that doesn't really have much info

How long after submitting the supplemental questions are people receiving the secondary with the $95 fee? I submitted the supplemental questions but have not heard back about the actual secondary yet.

How long after submitting the supplemental questions are people receiving the secondary with the $95 fee? I submitted the supplemental questions but have not heard back about the actual secondary yet.
I got the secondary 8/17, I believe I submitted the supplemental questions a couple days after receiving them.

I got the supplemental questions on 7/25, received the secondary and fee on 8/17

Last edited:
I'm OOS born in SC and lived there, I submitted my supplemental questions, but haven't received secondary. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Did anyone OOS MCAT <512 get a secondary? Worried I got pre-secondary ~softly~ rejected (I work at MUSC actually but haven't changed state residency)

still waiting on a secondary after the first set of essays! I submitted 8/17. anyone else been waiting for a long time?

Reactions: 2 users
in-state RD II received! submitted the secondary on aug 23rd, LM 77, trad

In state RD II!

Submitted secondary on 8/6. Non traditional, with Lizzy M score of 63.

According to their website, MUSC does three interviews? Two are during the interview day, but the third isn't. Does anyone know what the third interview is like?

still waiting on a secondary after the first set of essays! I submitted 8/17. anyone else been waiting for a long time?
I sent mine in a few days later… still haven’t received secondary. Confused as well since I applied last cycle, interviewed, and got waitlisted

According to their website, MUSC does three interviews? Two are during the interview day, but the third isn't. Does anyone know what the third interview is like?
A few days before interview day they will give you contact information for a 3rd person and you will have to coordinate with them to interview on your own time

Did anyone OOS MCAT <512 get a secondary? Worried I got pre-secondary ~softly~ rejected (I work at MUSC actually but haven't changed state residency)
On the portal it says they review OOS applications in Nov&Dec for interviews in the spring. So OOS secondaries will prob go out later than IS ones from my understanding

Has anyone who has an interview this upcoming Friday (9/29) gotten an email with additional information about the interview day? I thought we were supposed to get an email 5 days prior to the interview (yesterday).

I have not received anything about interview day yet either, wondering if I should send an email about it

Just reread my II email and it said something about a zoom link at the bottom but there’s nothing there. Did anyone’s else email include a zoom link?

Just reread my II email and it said something about a zoom link at the bottom but there’s nothing there. Did anyone’s else email include a zoom link?
Nope, I scheduled mine for next Friday but didn’t get a confirmation and haven’t been sent more info