DO for Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kanika

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating from a bachelors degree in biology (cell and molecular) from a Canadian University and have yet to write the mcat. I have to repeat my prereqs for a DO school since first few years of my degree were horrible. I have a few questions;
1. Is it tougher for Canadians to get into an American DO school? (is the gpa and mcat requirements higher?)
2. Are there schools that won't accept Canadians?
3. Would the gpa replacement of a course still apply if I redid my prereqs from a college rather than a university?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm graduating from a bachelors degree in biology (cell and molecular) from a Canadian University and have yet to write the mcat. I have to repeat my prereqs for a DO school since first few years of my degree were horrible. I have a few questions;
1. Is it tougher for Canadians to get into an American DO school? (is the gpa and mcat requirements higher?)
3. Would the gpa replacement of a course still apply if I redid my prereqs from a college rather than a university?

thanks

Depends what school. Some Canadian schools are completely unknown to admission committees which makes it harder. UBC, UofT, and Queens seem to be the only well known ones from what i have heard online. Its more opinion based, but i read on SDN somewhere that your chances are better if someone from your school has already been accepted to their school, thus they have something to compare to. It makes sense as far as im concerned.

In general also it is harder for us to apply. Americans are lucky as hell cuz they get "in state" opportunities should their state have a medical school (MD or DO) and the stats are quite a bit lower for this (not trying to offend anyone, its true). Depending on the DO school, we are either placed as Out of State or Foreign

2) 19 DO schools accept Canadians. Thats a **** load of opportunity when u consider the # of MD schools in Canada and the stats needed.

3) Doesnt matter as long as the courses are similar. The course descriptions will have to be similar from the repeat course and the original at a different school. Someone can correct me on this if im wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
Some Canadian schools are completely unknown to admission committees which makes it harder. UBC, UofT, and Queens seem to be the only well known ones from what i have heard online.

Just to put in my two-cents: the most well known Canadian university, at least in my experience, is McGill. I've had this identical conversation with several Canadians on multiple occasions, and the all always say the same thing: 'why is it that all Americans have only heard of McGill?'. I've always heard McGill described as 'Canada's Harvard,' and while the Canadians I've met have felt otherwise, this is the reputation McGill has in the US

Just to put in my two-cents: the most well known Canadian university, at least in my experience, is McGill. I've had this identical conversation with several Canadians on multiple occasions, and the all always say the same thing: 'why is it that all Americans have only heard of McGill?'. I've always heard McGill described as 'Canada's Harvard,' and while the Canadians I've met have felt otherwise, this is the reputation McGill has in the US

+1:thumbup:. I haven't met a single graduate that truly enjoyed their time at McGill, that is, had a pleasurable experience regardless of cGPA. Nevertheless, its reputation preceeds it, even down south. It is what it is-a glamour school.

What??? Really? Wow im surprised Americans have heard of McGill, it definitely is not the harvard of Canada. I know that people at that school are told that though and believe it

Definitely good though that another school is known in the US

What??? Really? Wow im surprised Americans have heard of McGill, it definitely is not the harvard of Canada. I know that people at that school are told that though and believe it

Definitely good though that another school is known in the US

Unfortunately, McGill IS actually the Harvard of Canada...there was a big press hoopla a couple of years back when reps from Harvard came to McGill to bestow ( me-->:rolleyes:) this title. What a load of crap! :thumbdown:

Unfortunately, McGill IS actually the Harvard of Canada...there was a big press hoopla a couple of years back when reps from Harvard came to McGill to bestow ( me-->:rolleyes:) this title. What a load of crap! :thumbdown:

lol thats absolutely ridiculous. In what way does it compare to harvard? It definitely isnt the hardest stat wise to get into in Canada. UofT had that title for past few, and UBC just took (for this application cycle for high school). Do they have some mad amount of spending on research or something i havent heard of? I always thought UofT had the most.

The only way i can see it being like harvard is apparently it is very old school (thus looking like an Ivy League school), which is actually pretty sweet. Did you go to McGill? Im not in any way dissing McGill ,its a good school. But so are the other top few of which are definitely on par with McGill

I feel like there is this constant spoon feeding of bull **** at the top few Canadian schools (at all, not just McGill). My friend at Queens tells me that his profs till him to add 10% to his grade (artificially) to match what his grade would be at other schools:rolleyes:.It will be nice to get away, if we get into a US school

thanks

1. i don't think the requirements are necessary higher, but it would be generally tougher. Just as if you are applying internationally to any schools.

2. Probably ones that are way more in-state orientated. Obviously if the school only prefers in-state, out-"state' is already hard to get in, not to mention international students. Best way to figure out is to check the CIB downloaded from the aoa.org website.

3. yeah that rules applys to all courses. But if you want to make sure, can always just e-mail the schools you are interested in.

I don't know what's the debat above about whether Mcgill is harvard or ubc or uoft. All i know is that Western/COMP definitely heard of UofT, since me and another UofTer is attending this Fall :D!

All the best, if any questions about application process, can always PM me :)

When I was at my AZCOM interview, I remember meeting a current student who was from Canada. So they accept them, if that helps :thumbup: I have no clue if they had higher stats though.

Not to mention UofT is lucky cuz u guys have a 4.0 GPA scale. I dont know what McGill's situation is? Getting transcripts "converted" is stupid, a waste of time, and a waste of money lol they act like Canada is in the middle east

Not to mention UofT is lucky cuz u guys have a 4.0 GPA scale. I dont know what McGill's situation is? Getting transcripts "converted" is stupid, a waste of time, and a waste of money lol they act like Canada is in the middle east

Hehe...I hear you brother. If I remember correctly, UBC has a messed up grading scale (or is that UCalgary:confused:). I know AMCAS has an equivalency table for all canadian uni GPA scales-I think AACOMAS should take a few pointers. Anyway, I went to CEGEP in Quebec (equivalent to U1 undergrad) and I need to "convert" my grades as you stated so aptly. The process is going to set me back 200 bones (I chose Silny and Associates b/c its the cheapest).

And, yah, I went to McGill-the most unimpressive years of my life. Come to think of it, I was very impressed by the difficulty of the exams and obnoxious/vile nature of most of the students. Unforgettable indeed, lol.

Hehe...I hear you brother. If I remember correctly, UBC has a messed up grading scale (or is that UCalgary:confused:).

ucalgary is on a 4.0 scale. lucky enough for me.

OP go here: http://osteopathic.ca/documents.htm

This has a list of all DO that will take canadians. they haven't updated the list yet but i don't think LMU takes internationals anymore plus a few new schools like VCOM-CC, COMP-lebanon take internationals.

Members don't see this ad :)

This has a list of all DO that will take canadians. they haven't updated the list yet but i don't think LMU takes internationals anymore plus a few new schools like VCOM-CC, COMP-lebanon take internationals.

Confirmed about LMU. Emailed them last week- "no canadians".

so which school out west (or west of central) has a GPA scale on 9?

McGill has a 4.0 GPA system too

Hehe...I hear you brother. If I remember correctly, UBC has a messed up grading scale (or is that UCalgary:confused:). I know AMCAS has an equivalency table for all canadian uni GPA scales-I think AACOMAS should take a few pointers. Anyway, I went to CEGEP in Quebec (equivalent to U1 undergrad) and I need to "convert" my grades as you stated so aptly. The process is going to set me back 200 bones (I chose Silny and Associates b/c its the cheapest).

And, yah, I went to McGill-the most unimpressive years of my life. Come to think of it, I was very impressed by the difficulty of the exams and obnoxious/vile nature of most of the students. Unforgettable indeed, lol.

I'm in the same boat as you (CEGEP-McGill), Can't you apply for a transcript exemption? I sent my transcript in, but also requested a transcript exemption since it's basically a "Grade 13" program.

dam i got ripped off at UBC lol

We have letter grades and %....but no 4.0 on transcript.

ManUnderFire: $200!!! Wtf thats a huge rip-off!! Did you already send them? If so how long did it take to convert??

I finish my course tomorrow (final) and hopefully my mark will be in the next few days so i can send transcripts off asap. I hope conversion doesnt take more than 2 weeks:(

Sorry guys a bit off topic here but since there are many canadians here in this thread. I talked to the pcom admissions office and i found out about this weird requirement for canadians/internationals:

here it is:

Good Afternoon,

We welcome applicants from Canada; however, you will want to have your credentials evaluated by a service such as WES (World Education Services) so that we have the equivalent of semester hours. When you have your credentials evaluated, the evaluation should be sent to AACOMAS.

For your letters, you may send as many as you'd like. For your Dean's letter, we suggest presenting your resume to him and perhaps discussing your goals and such in your meeting.

Thank you,

Admissions

PCOM Office of Admissions
4170 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131
(215) 871-6700
(215) 871-6719 fax

So for PCOM it seems like it doesn't matter if you uni is on a 4.0 or 9 or percentage scale.....they like a WES evaluation or something along that line. This is now sorta ******ed cuz my school is already of a 4.0 scale and i didnt have to do the evaluation but now it looks like i might have to get it done. OMG!! first the spring grades rule! now the WES evaluation! I have had my application done since February with all letter but haven't been able to submit it since i had already registered for this spring class before the CIB came out.......someone just kill me now!

dam Jaywalk,

that sucks. Its still the same for me i have to get them converted regardless. This whole sit down with the dean thing is just ******ed. Do you guys not think this is the most ridiculous thing u have ever heard? WHAT DEAN HAS THE TIME TO SIT DOWN ONE ON ONE WITH AN UNDERGRAD TO DISCUSS THEIR RESUME????!!!

Is this the norm in the US or something? I dunno about ur schools, but if i went to the Dean of Science at UBC and asked him to meet me to discuss my resume so he can write me a letter....he would politely tell me to go to hell, he has better things to do

dam Jaywalk,

that sucks. Its still the same for me i have to get them converted regardless. This whole sit down with the dean thing is just ******ed. Do you guys not think this is the most ridiculous thing u have ever heard? WHAT DEAN HAS THE TIME TO SIT DOWN ONE ON ONE WITH AN UNDERGRAD TO DISCUSS THEIR RESUME????!!!

Is this the norm in the US or something? I dunno about ur schools, but if i went to the Dean of Science at UBC and asked him to meet me to discuss my resume so he can write me a letter....he would politely tell me to go to hell, he has better things to do

took me 2 tries with his secretary and then another 2 with him, along with getting down on my two knees to get that dam letter that will probably say so and so graduated from our uni and wants to be part of your medical school.

Also, can anyone confirm that Lecom takes canadians?? I've emailed them twice to no avail in replies. SOmeone was telling me that they'll only take canadians that have permanent residency status in the US. Now, please please please tell me i am wrong and the person who told me this is sorely mis-informed

LECOM:

I hope to god they take Canadians, its one of my top choices. Based on CIB and the AACOMAS website they should. You know that document u download from the site that says which schools will accept us? It was on that, so i hope that still stands

took me 2 tries with his secretary and then another 2 with him, along with getting down on my two knees to get that dam letter that will probably say so and so graduated from our uni and wants to be part of your medical school.

Also, can anyone confirm that Lecom takes canadians?? I've emailed them twice to no avail in replies. SOmeone was telling me that they'll only take canadians that have permanent residency status in the US. Now, please please please tell me i am wrong and the person who told me this is sorely mis-informed

Yes, LECOM takes Canadians but you need a reference letter from DO. Speaking of that, has anyone had any luck finding a DO in Ontario?

I read on these forums that AZCOM and CCOM require you to write the TOEFL because you are considered an international. (I crossed them off my list because the only reason I am applying to DO school is because my verbal score doesn't make the cutoffs)

LECOM:

I hope to god they take Canadians, its one of my top choices. Based on CIB and the AACOMAS website they should. You know that document u download from the site that says which schools will accept us? It was on that, so i hope that still stands

well i was under that impression too bro. But umm this is coming from a DO that i know/shadowed. While i updated him on my application journey so far. He told me that i should double check with lecom. He said that lecom will not ask you this question till after the secondaries are submitted to them. I was pretty sure on lecom taking canadians, and yess its one of my top 3 choices as well. But his comment put some doubts in my mind. I hope that was just the case some years ago and they probably have changed that policy. :xf:

I'm in the same boat as you (CEGEP-McGill), Can't you apply for a transcript exemption? I sent my transcript in, but also requested a transcript exemption since it's basically a "Grade 13" program.

Exemption? First time hearing about it...although, it seems to have a negative connotation :eek:.

So, basically, the adcom's see my transcript and that I've completed the required courses but they do not take into consideration my grades? :confused:

dam i got ripped off at UBC lol

We have letter grades and %....but no 4.0 on transcript.

ManUnderFire: $200!!! Wtf thats a huge rip-off!! Did you already send them? If so how long did it take to convert??

I finish my course tomorrow (final) and hopefully my mark will be in the next few days so i can send transcripts off asap. I hope conversion doesnt take more than 2 weeks:(

That's another thing...why don't all uni's in Canada use one system :mad:! As if the education you get at one major uni with a med school is SO much different from the one you get at another. Anyway, back to eval process:

$130 US for evaluation
$10 for CEGEP transcripts
~$20 for shipping transcripts
$80 to get eval sent to yourself to enter info into AACOMAS
~240 bones (I stand corrected)

The evaluation alone TAKES TWO WEEKS. Add in the time to send your OFFICIAL transcripts (from registrar's office) and the time it takes the evaluation company to send the material back to you and you're looking at a month. I'm at stage 1 currently: sent my materials to Josef Silny & Associates. I'll let you dudes know how it goes.

Last edited:
dam Jaywalk,

It seems like a lot of things are whack in the states...I remember reading about someone volunteering in the OR and 'helping' do up a few sutures :wow:
Never in a Canadian hospital!

In order to meet the Dean of Science at McGill to discuss MY plans, I would have to hold the vice-dean hostage :laugh:

The US...definitely a land of opportunity IMHO.

I was trying to fill out LECOM Bradenton's secondary application which requires a SSN, but we have a SIN in Canada so I gave them a call.

They told me they dont accept Canadians...but the CIB says non us citizens or temporary residents are eligible!

I asked if she was sure, she said she was the admissions coordinator and that the Erie campus takes Canadians.

"so I shouldnt bother filling out the secondary?" - me
"probably not" - her

I was trying to fill out LECOM Bradenton's secondary application which requires a SSN, but we have a SIN in Canada so I gave them a call.

They told me they dont accept Canadians...but the CIB says non us citizens or temporary residents are eligible!

I asked if she was sure, she said she was the admissions coordinator and that the Erie campus takes Canadians.

"probably not" - her

Fudge :(

So LECOM-B is out. What about lecom at erie raz? Did you fill theirs out?

But it says on the CIB they accept international! Man!

Lake Erie requires a SSN as well, i called them and they said to call back in 15 minutes so they can figure it out.

Fudge :(

So LECOM-B is out. What about lecom at erie raz? Did you fill theirs out?

But it says on the CIB they accept international! Man!

Lake Erie requires a SSN as well, i called them and they said to call back in 15 minutes so they can figure it out.

OMG, seriously if you are not going to take internationals just put it in the CIB. At least this way someone won't lose their application and secondary money to a school that doesn't want internationals in the first place.

But i seriously hope its just the bradenton campus that does this :xf: not the erie

OMG, seriously if you are not going to take internationals just put it in the CIB. At least this way someone won't lose their application and secondary money to a school that doesn't want internationals in the first place.

But i seriously hope its just the bradenton campus that does this :xf: not the erie

So they said just to put in 0's for the SSN ...but when it comes to pay, need to send in a cheque because the online form requires a zipcode in the credit card information.

Canada FTL

edit: the above is for Lecom Erie

So they said just to put in 0's for the SSN ...but when it comes to pay, need to send in a cheque because the online form requires a zipcode in the credit card information.

Canada FTL

edit: the above is for Lecom Erie

Nice!! so at least we can apply to the erie branch. But from what i understand from your post, we can't pay online but have to send in a cheque?

what is Canada FTL?

Nice!! so at least we can apply to the erie branch. But from what i understand from your post, we can't pay online but have to send in a cheque?

what is Canada FTL?

Ya you cant pay online because the credit card form asks for your zip code, you cant put in a postal code. You also cant put in a 00000 zip code because then your credit card wont go through.

Im gonna send in a cheque tmrw, expresspost it so it gets there mid week. My reference letters arent done yet, but we dont need to send those until we get an interview.

for CCOM we need to show we have funds in a US bank I believe

"probably not" - her

dam it! lol Florida would have been money! NSU?

Can some of you call tomorrow and see what the person says just to make sure, just in case this person was making a mistake about not taking Canadians.

This was from their email:
The Office of Admissions is available to assist you throughout the admissions process. You may contact the Office of Admissions at (941) 756-0690 Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.

Just ask for admissions and you get forwarded.

Thanks

Can some of you call tomorrow and see what the person says just to make sure, just in case this person was making a mistake about not taking Canadians.

This was from their email:
The Office of Admissions is available to assist you throughout the admissions process. You may contact the Office of Admissions at (941) 756-0690 Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.

Just ask for admissions and you get forwarded.

Thanks

i'll do it. Is this for erie or bradenton?

for CCOM we need to show we have funds in a US bank I believe

Not only ccom but azcom and a few other i can't recall rite now. So to all canadians who are applying. Start looking into loans and stuff as well. Make sure you have a decent credit score so at least you can get one loan from one of the banks. I'm gonna have to get my dad as a co-signer if i want another loan. One 150000CDN$ loan is not going to cut it. I need two loans like that.

and if i have to transfer both of those to a US bank.....aha the interest i'll accumulate will be through the roof. 300000@5%/year = 15000$ a year of interest alone :eek: it will probably end up being more than that cuz the interest will keep piling up on the principal

gl to all us canucks

Bradenton was the info i pasted. Erie takes canadians.

Thanks

We can do it guys! If we can win gold...oops! did i say on an american forum:p

but seriously good luck guys we need it, look already at how much harder the app is for us then americans. We are jumping through hoops

It seems like a lot of things are whack in the states...I remember reading about someone volunteering in the OR and 'helping' do up a few sutures :wow:
Never in a Canadian hospital!

In order to meet the Dean of Science at McGill to discuss MY plans, I would have to hold the vice-dean hostage :laugh:

The US...definitely a land of opportunity IMHO.

Yay Canadians! I've been waiting for this thread for a long time :)

Anyways, on the matter of the letter from the Dean.. I thought it was ridiculous too.. but I called PCOM and they said that I can substitute the letter with a counsellor from our faculty. The letter just needs to say that I'm in good standing at the University. That's about it.

As for the schools that accept Canadians.. I first found the schools listed on the Canadian Osteopathic Association website but they are out of date. So I called to confirm with each school and I can post the list of confirmed schools accepting Canadians if you like. I've done alot of research about DOs and its such a great profession. They should really have these schools in Canada.

Cheers

Yay Canadians! I've been waiting for this thread for a long time :)

Anyways, on the matter of the letter from the Dean.. I thought it was ridiculous too.. but I called PCOM and they said that I can substitute the letter with a counsellor from our faculty. The letter just needs to say that I'm in good standing at the University. That's about it.

As for the schools that accept Canadians.. I first found the schools listed on the Canadian Osteopathic Association website but they are out of date. So I called to confirm with each school and I can post the list of confirmed schools accepting Canadians if you like. I've done alot of research about DOs and its such a great profession. They should really have these schools in Canada.

Cheers

Welcome aboard CanV. Please do post anything thing useful that you have found out. The canadian list is out dated at the website and we have been trying to make an updated list in the previous posts. If you have info to share, i'm sure we'd all appreciate it

gl.

+1 on that list even though i have already sent my primaries.

Thanks

I emailed Midwestern (Arizona/Chicago) and they said Canucks can submit a letter from an osteopath (licensed in OMT only) in lieu of the osteopathic physician letter requirement.

Me:
I am having difficulty finding an osteopathic physician in my area to shadow/write me a letter of recommendation. Many osteopaths (licensed to practice manipulative therapy only) work in my area-would they be able to write me a letter in order to fulfill the requirement of submitting a letter from an osteopathic physician?

Midwestern Admin:
Thank you for your interest in Midwestern University. Yes, a letter of recommendation from an Osteopath that practices OMM will be accepted. If you have any additional questions please let me know.

Regards,

Kerry Mortenson, M.A.Ed.
Assistant Director of Admissions
Midwestern University

Dunno if this simplifies anybody's life, but I figure there are more osteopaths around than osteopathic physicians.

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do...I throw up."-my take on the World's Most Interesting Man quote.

Great thread.
As an important note, I remember calling CCOM last year and they require international students (and yes canucks are that too) to complete at least one year of post secondary education in the states before matriculation and the TOEFL(I don't know why). I don't know if this has changed as they were looking into revising it, but make sure before you apply.

Good Luck

Also in terms of schools that don't mind Canadians at all, I think they are COMP, UNE and Touro NY. MSU is open to Canadians (if you are willing to pay 70 grand a year for tuition, and Nova if you apply really early). They seem to have a few Canadians each year. The rest may have like 1 or 2 sporadically but are not as favorable as these from my experience.

Hope that helps

Also in terms of schools that don't mind Canadians at all, I think they are COMP, UNE and Touro NY. MSU is open to Canadians (if you are willing to pay 70 grand a year for tuition, and Nova if you apply really early). They seem to have a few Canadians each year. The rest may have like 1 or 2 sporadically but are not as favorable as these from my experience.

Hope that helps

You mean PCOM :laugh:. I checked for a COMP in the CIB and only found PCOM.