DO for Canadians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump:D

Members don't see this ad.

dam it! lol Florida would have been money! NSU?

A little late to answer this ....but my roommate from last year was from Calgary. We have two or three canadians in our class.

So yes NSU takes 'em.

IamAriDO

A little late to answer this ....but my roommate from last year was from Calgary. We have two or three canadians in our class.

So yes NSU takes 'em.

IamAriDO
How do you like Nova?

How are you guys paying for it? I heard that the max amount we can get in loans in Canada is $150,000. Is this true? If so, where did you get the rest of the money from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I love Nova
However with regard to the loan situation I will have to ask him. I am a US citizen so its all fed loans (with ******ed high interest rates) for me. I'll ask around the specifics. I do know that it was no problem for him. He has a line of credit from the Canadian government and then has the rest via a private bank. Both rates are lower than what I have through my loans.

IamAriDO

Hello other fellow Canadians! I had my transcripts done by Educational Credential Evaluators and I wasn't given credits for my Lab courses so I ended up 1 credit short on Physics, Organic and inorganic chem. They did a good job converting my grades even though my first two years was on the 9 point scale then it switches over to the 4.0 scale (im from the University of Alberta). For people who got their transcripts done through WES, were you given credits for your lab work? Thanks.

Just confirming that Nova (NSUCOM) requires a WES evaluation.

So these schools require WES evals:

PCOM
NSUCOM (send WES to school and AACOMAS)
WUHS-COMP

When do these schools require these evaluations (before submitting primary, after acceptance, etc...)? I am going to submit my primary very soon. :scared:

good question..:confused:..Dunno exactly; never bothered asking. I would presume when submitting the primaries b/c these evals concern your transcripts which are used to calculate sGPA, cGPA and non-sciGPA. I can't see how useful they would be to AACOMAS or the schools mentioned above if they were only submitted with secondaries or thereafter. But of course, that is just my hunch. Anyone with factual evidence, please speak up!

When do these schools require these evaluations (before submitting primary, after acceptance, etc...)? I am going to submit my primary very soon. :scared:
If your school grades on a 4.0 scale and whatnot then the schools don't necessarily need them before you submit your primary but they need it before they will consider your application

Just confirming that Nova (NSUCOM) requires a WES evaluation.

So these schools require WES evals:

PCOM
NSUCOM (send WES to school and AACOMAS)
WUHS-COMP

Hey do you still need wes if you attended a school in canada but are not canadian?? How long does it take to fill out this WES? Are you supposed to ask your canadian school to send your official transcript to this WES agency and they send it on to NSU and aacomas?

Hey do you still need wes if you attended a school in canada but are not canadian?? How long does it take to fill out this WES? Are you supposed to ask your canadian school to send your official transcript to this WES agency and they send it on to NSU and aacomas?
Yes, needing the WES is based on where you went to school and not your citizenship. Yep, ask your school to send your transcripts to WES and then you tell WES where to send the evalution (so to Nova and AACOMAS). And you also need to have your transcripts sent to AACOMAS by your school in addition to WES.

Yes, needing the WES is based on where you went to school and not your citizenship. Yep, ask your school to send your transcripts to WES and then you tell WES where to send the evalution (so to Nova and AACOMAS). And you also need to have your transcripts sent to AACOMAS by your school in addition to WES.

nicely done, superfish.

Is getting your transcripts from WES a new policy? I searched these forums and people in the previous years never bring this up...

****! I have to get WES to send one to NOVA?!

I need your guys advice. So I went to college and UBC. Both of these transcripts have been received at WES (they are currently reviewing). I only sent them to WES cuz UBC doesnt do 4.0 scale. I am currently taking a distance ed course through TRU and they have a 4.0 scale. ANyway, i already paid $252 to have transcripts converted. I cant apply to Nova without having my OCHEM 2 retake i assume (first time i got a C-) since NOVA requires a C or higher in all pre-reqs

It will cost a **** load more i assume to get WES to send to NOVA

What do u think i should do?

Members don't see this ad :)
****! I have to get WES to send one to NOVA?!

I need your guys advice. So I went to college and UBC. Both of these transcripts have been received at WES (they are currently reviewing). I only sent them to WES cuz UBC doesnt do 4.0 scale. I am currently taking a distance ed course through TRU and they have a 4.0 scale. ANyway, i already paid $252 to have transcripts converted. I cant apply to Nova without having my OCHEM 2 retake i assume (first time i got a C-) since NOVA requires a C or higher in all pre-reqs

It will cost a **** load more i assume to get WES to send to NOVA

What do u think i should do?
On Nova's webite it says that all pre-reqs must be completed before matriculation and not before application. I really hope this is true because I haven't done OCHEM 2 yet. So if this is true, why not send what transcripts are already being evaluated by WES (it costs 60$ I think to send it if you didn't ask for it to be sent when you filled out the WES application) and then if you get accepted and would like to attend Nova, then you can pay for an additional WES evaluation for your distance course and OCHEM re-take. Oh and you still need the WES for Nova even if you're on a 4.0 scale so you'd have to get another WES evaluation at somepoint I guess for the courses you're taking now.

Thanks SuperFish!

So whats the word guys and gals?? Any Canadians got interview invites yet? How many of you guys are on secondaries?

Thank you. Do I need to send to WES for any other DO or MD schools? I am also applying to MD schools and to the following DO: nycom, umdnj, western, iowa, azcom.

Thank you. Do I need to send to WES for any other DO or MD schools? I am also applying to MD schools and to the following DO: nycom, umdnj, western, iowa, azcom.

I don't think NYCOM accepts Canadians. Check cib!

i listed the schools that accept Canadians on page 2 if you'd like to lokk that over. It's in bold.

Guys, I need a little advice: I'm retaking OCHEM 2 right now and the summer course will end on Aug 5. I have not taken my MCAT yet, which is scheduled in Sept. But by the time the MCAT score is released to AACOMAS, my chance of actually getting into a DO school are slim. It's all about timing with rolling admissions as you all know. So then should I bother to send in my application is year? I'm planning on applying to 10 schools. Considering the 10 secondaries and 10 times the fees it's quite a daunting task.

If I don't apply this year, I could retake the MCAT in January, etc. Take on a job to pay off my OSAP loan and apply in June 2011 right when apps open.

I already came back for a year to do a post-bacc. So if I don't apply now, I'll use up two more years... by then I'll only be starting med school at 25... being the oldest daughter has its pressures. I don't want my parents to continue to working for too long... they had me late and now apparently I "should've" already gotten in somewhere since last year.

i listed the schools that accept Canadians on page 2 if you'd like to lokk that over. It's in bold.

Guys, I need a little advice: I'm retaking OCHEM 2 right now and the summer course will end on Aug 5. I have not taken my MCAT yet, which is scheduled in Sept. But by the time the MCAT score is released to AACOMAS, my chance of actually getting into a DO school are slim. It's all about timing with rolling admissions as you all know. So then should I bother to send in my application is year? I'm planning on applying to 10 schools. Considering the 10 secondaries and 10 times the fees it's quite a daunting task.

If I don't apply this year, I could retake the MCAT in January, etc. Take on a job to pay off my OSAP loan and apply in June 2011 right when apps open.

I already came back for a year to do a post-bacc. So if I don't apply now, I'll use up two more years... by then I'll only be starting med school at 25... being the oldest daughter has its pressures. I don't want my parents to continue to working for too long... they had me late and now apparently I "should've" already gotten in somewhere since last year.
Honestly, if I were in your position I would apply this year. You can have your secondaries completed before your MCAT score is released, so your application will be completed beginning of October when your score comes out. Yes its later than ideal but I still think you could get accepted. I've heard DO schools move a bit slower than MD schools so being complete in October still might be okay. There are always people who apply late and get in. But one of the main reasons why I also think you should apply is that apparently DO schools will accept you into the next year's class if this year's class is already full. I know you don't really want to wait another year, but at least if you found out this year that you would be going in 2012, it would take a lot off your mind and give you plently of time to do whatever you want.

To my knowledge, Nova is the only school that requires you to send the WES directly to them. MD schools don't require a WES.

Honestly, if I were in your position I would apply this year. You can have your secondaries completed before your MCAT score is released, so your application will be completed beginning of October when your score comes out. Yes its later than ideal but I still think you could get accepted. I've heard DO schools move a bit slower than MD schools so being complete in October still might be okay. There are always people who apply late and get in. But one of the main reasons why I also think you should apply is that apparently DO schools will accept you into the next year's class if this year's class is already full. I know you don't really want to wait another year, but at least if you found out this year that you would be going in 2012, it would take a lot off your mind and give you plently of time to do whatever you want.

Maybe perhaps I should I cut my list down to maybe 4-5... That way I won't have to write so many secondaries. What do you think about that idea instead? I didn't know that they accept students for the year after as well. Without my MCAT marks I don't really know how to gauge how much confidence I can have for my application you know?

Hey CanV,

I think it might also depend on your non-MCAT stats. How's your GPA and EC's? Personally, I wouldn't apply this cycle until I know I have that solid MCAT score--especially if my GPA is on the down side.

I guess, yeah...DO schools may process slower than MD schools but I would rather have everything set and ready, apply to many schools, and hopefully get an acceptance in my first and only try. If especially my stats aren't too competitive, I would probably want to take advantage of anything that's out there--including applying super early.

Let's say that you ended up applying with surprisingly low MCAT scores and was rejected to all schools. How will you "significantly" improve your applications for the next cycle, since you will most likely be applying to limited amount of same schools again (plus more) as an international student?

That's just what I would do.

I am curious like Quester. I think it all depends on your gpa. WHat is your GPA??? If you have a low gpa (and not "low" like the Canadian pre-med gunners in our classes say), i mean like 3.3 or less....then apply next year early. However, even if you had a between a 3.0-3.3, if you got a 30+ on your MCAT i should say apply this year

These kinds of stats are things I have picked up on other threads through reading SDN over the last 2 years.

CanV,

Also what year are you in?? Or have you graded?

I've graduated twice with two undergrads. I guess the first one is considered the Ungrad and the second is considered the Post-Bacc. [I'm turning 23 on August :)]

Undergrad 3.2
Post-Bacc 3.56
AACOMAS gpa 3.3
MCAT tbd

I'm definitely an underdog but I think my EC's are decent. 5 years with a dental office, 1.5 years with a medical office, (includes chronic pain doc, chiro, cardiologist, general surgeon), 6 months at a pharmacy, shadowing with a DO/MD/DDS/OD/pharmacist, volunteer/intern/president of a Canadian non-profit organization 5 years, hospital volunteer (palliative & emerg), lab volunteer, photography club exec, cultural club exec/volunteer, and I don't know if I would call myself a cyclist but I love cycling (Other on/off positions: Canadian Cancer Society & Heart & Stroke Foundation volunteer/participant, Habitat for Humanity volunteer).

I just know that I want this so bad.

Last edited:
As a fellow Canadian who has gone through the process of applying and interviewing at DO schools, I thought I would share some advice. My stats were 3.9ish GPA 28 MCAT (low verbal scores) lots of ecs, research. That being said, make sure you really want to go this route that you shadow a DO and learn about manipulative medicine which is the staple of the profession and makes it distinct from MD, asides the holistic approach and that you want to stay in the States for a while, as it will be very difficult (despite what Carms states) to return home directly. If so then you are good to go.

Some things to consider
The CIB is misleading as there are several schools that are definately not friendly towards Canadians, regardless of your numbers. In my experience and in talking to others, as a Canadian with solid number, you will have a chance to interview at Western, Touro Harlem, Michagan State (high tuition though) and KCOM (if you apply early and know alot of about DO). UNE also considers taking one or two Canadians per year so apply early and be competitive and you may have a shot. Nova and PCOM really are a really long shot these days, I have never heard of a Canadian being admitted because both schools are really really competitive even for domestic applicants in the USA, but who knows. LMU has stopped taking Canadians, AZCOM/CCOM require you to have some education in the states, TCOM is separate and likes state residents alot. KCUMB and LECOM don't really take Canadians to avoid problems like visa issues and other issues that cud arise in the future from int'l students and prefer domestic applicants. Pikeville also states that they give strong preference to residents from the region.

Anyways just wanted to help out and feel free to PM me with an questions.

Well this makes me sad:( considering my stats are on par with US students accepted to DO. Hopefully my strong last 60 credits and good MCAT will make up for it:)

Did you get accepted anywhere??

As a fellow Canadian who has gone through the process of applying and interviewing at DO schools, I thought I would share some advice. My stats were 3.9ish GPA 28 MCAT (low verbal scores) lots of ecs, research. That being said, make sure you really want to go this route that you shadow a DO and learn about manipulative medicine which is the staple of the profession and makes it distinct from MD, asides the holistic approach and that you want to stay in the States for a while, as it will be very difficult (despite what Carms states) to return home directly. If so then you are good to go.

Some things to consider
The CIB is misleading as there are several schools that are definately not friendly towards Canadians, regardless of your numbers. In my experience and in talking to others, as a Canadian with solid number, you will have a chance to interview at Western, Touro Harlem, Michagan State (high tuition though) and KCOM (if you apply early and know alot of about DO). UNE also considers taking one or two Canadians per year so apply early and be competitive and you may have a shot. Nova and PCOM really are a really long shot these days, I have never heard of a Canadian being admitted because both schools are really really competitive even for domestic applicants in the USA, but who knows. LMU has stopped taking Canadians, AZCOM/CCOM require you to have some education in the states, TCOM is separate and likes state residents alot. KCUMB and LECOM don't really take Canadians to avoid problems like visa issues and other issues that cud arise in the future from int'l students and prefer domestic applicants. Pikeville also states that they give strong preference to residents from the region.

Some things to consider

thanks. Great Input.

Any idea how friendly DMU-COM is to Canadians?

Did you get your transcripts evaluated by WES

Thanks SuperFish!

So whats the word guys and gals?? Any Canadians got interview invites yet? How many of you guys are on secondaries?

I submitted the primary of July 15. When should I expect to receive secondaries from LECOM, DMUCOM, LMUCOM, PCOM?

Just to add, at least during my year of interview. ATSU-SOMA seems to be canadian friendly as well.

I submitted the primary of July 15. When should I expect to receive secondaries from LECOM, DMUCOM, LMUCOM, PCOM?

Last time I read on other threads.... LECOM secondaries come out pretty fast.... im not sure about the others though. I dont think DMU, LMU or PCOM starts interviewing for a while so secondaries arent given out as fast

Can someone correct me if im wrong?

Also, LMU doesnt accept Canadians any more:(

Got rejected from Pacific Northwest and WVSOM for being Canadian boo!

Do these two schools accept canadians anyway?

I dont think Pacific was even in the CIB. I think I saw on their website that they prefer people from a specific area but I am not sure if I saw anything that said they dont take internationals so I applied anyways.

-Rejection email said they dont take internationals

WVSOM said internationals "considered" in the CIB

- rejection email said that a green card is needed. I replied saying I will have a student visa when I do my masters next year but she said WVSOM hasnt got a system in place to deal with I-20's/ student visas like other schools.

I dont think Pacific was even in the CIB. I think I saw on their website that they prefer people from a specific area but I am not sure if I saw anything that said they dont take internationals so I applied anyways.

-Rejection email said they dont take internationals

WVSOM said internationals "considered" in the CIB

- rejection email said that a green card is needed. I replied saying I will have a student visa when I do my masters next year but she said WVSOM hasnt got a system in place to deal with I-20's/ student visas like other schools.

So are you applying to DO anyway just in case u get in? Where are u doing ur masters and in what? If you dont mind me asking

So are you applying to DO anyway just in case u get in? Where are u doing ur masters and in what? If you dont mind me asking

Sorry I meant doing my masters this year (starting in September)

Masters of Science in nutritional science, doing it at Columbia. It should take around 10-11 months to do (supposed to be 12 months but you can front load the thesis hours)

Sorry I meant doing my masters this year (starting in September)

Masters of Science in nutritional science, doing it at Columbia. It should take around 10-11 months to do (supposed to be 12 months but you can front load the thesis hours)

how much $$$? I'm looking for programs like this one. One year max/with or without thesis :). Preferably in Canada. Any suggestions? Anybody?

how much $$$? I'm looking for programs like this one. One year max/with or without thesis :). Preferably in Canada. Any suggestions? Anybody?

Probably quite expensive, depending on the city. Why are you guys wanting to do masters? Don't you just wanna get into med asap?

Probably quite expensive, depending on the city. Why are you guys wanting to do masters? Don't you just wanna get into med asap?

exactly. 2-3 yr Post-Bac vs 1 yr Master's...the latter is shorter and carries more prestige being all 'graduate' and stuff.

Look into "SMP" programs. They are brilliant. Its my backup if I dont get in by January into DO. They are one year programs where many of your classes are taken with med students. If you get above certain GPA at certain schools, you automatically get an interview. There is a ton of other interesting facts if you look into it. Some of the programs have like a 80% acceptance rate after into med (DO or MD).

Look into "SMP" programs. They are brilliant. Its my backup if I dont get in by January into DO. They are one year programs where many of your classes are taken with med students. If you get above certain GPA at certain schools, you automatically get an interview. There is a ton of other interesting facts if you look into it. Some of the programs have like a 80% acceptance rate after into med (DO or MD).

i can't seem to find any SMP's for Ontario Universities....

i filled out my aacomas application, it doesnt show mcmaster university as one of the accredit (*) schools. Weird. I checked the other canadian universities, there was only like 3 on the list. Does anyone know what bearing this plays on the application process?

Queen's has a one year health policy Master's. Some school's have one year M.A.'s.

i filled out my aacomas application, it doesnt show mcmaster university as one of the accredit (*) schools....

Hey! I'm from MAC too! :) Just wanted to say hi... what year are you in? I haven't found any other students at mac who are looking into the DO route.