why do we have AA for grad school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems kinda pointless if we have it in undergrad that should be enough.

Just couldn't help myself from chiming in. I mean does an african american guy that got into harvard with affirmative action really need another affirmative action program to get into hopkins medical school?? If this program was worthwhile at all just having it in undergrad would be enough.

On a side note, I work with a few africans that immigrated here, and I am very impressed with them. They speak great english probably even better than most people that grew up here, and one of them has recieved 3 masters degrees since he has been in america.

Members don't see this ad.

These threads are all so painful (on both sides).

I think we should lower USMLE I, II, & III, and Board Certification standards for AA qualified individuals in the same spirit of lower graduate school standards. Why should we stop at entrance to medical school?

Of course, AA status is purely based on skin color and ethnicity because there should be no differntial based on socioeconomic background. Equal is equal, right?

(...must resist further AA posting....must turn away from the computer...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by geldrop
On a side note, I work with a few africans that immigrated here, and I am very impressed with them. They speak great english probably even better than most people that grew up here, and one of them has recieved 3 masters degrees since he has been in america.

With all due respect, what is the purpose of mentioning this? They are African, not African-American. The English they are taught, just like the English taught to many foreigners, is proper English. It's not laden with slang and colloquialisms that pervade native English.

Anther point that needs addressing is the 3 degrees. Yeah, he values education to the point that he'll be a lifelong student and end up a professor someday. Isn't it about time for him to put at least one of those degrees to good use in the workforce?

It may not have been your intention, but you make it sound like it is out of the ordinary for foreigners (particularly Africans) to be intellectually exceptional.

Affirmative action threads need to be dropped. We can all argue points that are near and dear to our hearts, but when we do, we fail to acknowledge the bigger picture--that AA is necessary for the time being.

Originally posted by Marooned
...we fail to acknowledge the bigger picture--that AA is necessary for the time being.

BS --- what is necessary is that individuals take personal responsibility and accountability for where you are in life. Don't like where you are, work your butt off to change it. PERFORM. Challenges that don't kill you will make you stronger & wiser.

AA is politically correct and collects votes from those that benefit. No different than prescription drug benefits and AARP.

Originally posted by OrthoFixation
BS --- what is necessary is that individuals take personal responsibility and accountability for where you are in life. Don't like where you are, work your butt off to change it. PERFORM. Challenges that don't kill you will make you stronger & wiser.

AA is politically correct and collects votes from those that benefit. No different than prescription drug benefits and AARP.

Since you're the foremost authority on American race relations policy, I must humbly bow before you as you so rudely shoot down my opinion. However, you should know that there are issues here that you have (quite obviously) no idea about.

I now must devote my energies to resist trying to explain them, for they would merely fall on deaf ears.

Originally posted by hightrump
"Affirmative action threads need to be dropped"

Feeling guilty?

Not at all. I have nothing to feel guilty about. My position is this . . . AA incites so much emotion in people who argue either side that a discussion board hardly seems like the appropriate venue in which to bring about anything useful.

the guy with the 3 degrees does work, for a fortune 500 company... I was just pointing out it seems like all the people from africa that come here can do well with or without AA... Its like AA is only needed for American ones... maybe that just relates to socionomic conditions and perhaps just the pop culture around us..

Originally posted by Marooned
Since you're the foremost authority on American race relations policy, I must humbly bow before you as you so rudely shoot down my opinion. However, you should know that there are issues here that you have (quite obviously) no idea about.

I now must devote my energies to resist trying to explain them, for they would merely fall on deaf ears.

I don't claim to be an AA expert therefore your flattery is unnecessary although appreciated (j/k).;)

Lets go back a few years. All people wanted when this country was founded was an opportunity to suceed. Now we have an entitlement oriented society and all anybody wants is what they think they are owed.

I for one am greatful for the opportunity to attend and borrow the expenses associated with the process. A century ago, that wouldn't have been possible. Only people with rich parents could become doctors.

We can all point to something that has made our journey more difficult. I just disagree with tilting the system in favor of any group(s).

Keep AA at undergrad level for 10 more years, then abolish it. But no AA at graduate levels. You still have the opportunity! Earn your place.

I don't get it, I though Alcoholics Anonymous was a good program. I don't agree with the fact that they are forced to accept at least 10% sober people though. I mean, shouldn't the drunk (I'm sorry, lets be PC here, chemically challenged) that has proved himself the most (history, DWI's, car accidents and accidental deaths, spousel abuse, credit history, employment history, beri beri ...) get into the program. We have to draw the line somewhere guys!

Personally I like chocolate chip cookies much more than peanut butter or raisin ones...;)

I'll share my preference for ice cream later, when more appropriate.:D

I cannot get enough of that new 50 cent song P.I.M.P........its under my skin...

btw i think africans in america may do well because they are a non random sampling of africans, they are the bad asses who were smart enough not to live in a desert...everytime i see those starving etheopians i wanna scream "YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! GET OUT OF THERE!"

Also, frontin' by pharell......very micheal jackson

Most foreigners speak better english. Thats because they actually learn it. Heck, I learned more about the english language by taking spanish.

Originally posted by hightrump
...everytime i see those starving etheopians i wanna scream "YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! GET OUT OF THERE!"

Boy that brings back memories...tragic loss of Sam K. Gone with other greats way too early (Belushi, SRV, Hendrix, ...)