2011-2112 IM Interview FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couple Qs for the vets:

1. When should we start booking flights, especially if southwest doesn't fly there?

2. Money saving tips?

3. Packing tips?

4. When to worry if we did not get an interview listed above?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who have gotten interviews, congrats! Quick question, I just sent in my app so I don't expect interviews right away but did you guys have your transcript sent in at the time of your eras submission or are you getting interviews based on eras app alone?

Question regarding the timing of interviews. As I understand, virtually all interviews happen in Nov, Dec, Jan - unfortunately, I have rotations scheduled all throughout these months including an IM Sub-I in December, so I'm trying to figure out how best to go to as many interviews as I can without missing too many days of work.

1) Should I jump on an October interview if it's offered? (Are these very common? I was just offered one, but I was already missing several days of that rotation due to a personal reason and I didn't want to take another day off, so I scheduled that on Nov 2nd causing me to miss the day on my next rotation.)

2) Are any of the months of the interview season more densely packed than others or are all interviews pretty much evenly conducted throughout Nov/Dec/Jan?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question regarding the timing of interviews. As I understand, virtually all interviews happen in Nov, Dec, Jan - unfortunately, I have rotations scheduled all throughout these months including an IM Sub-I in December, so I'm trying to figure out how best to go to as many interviews as I can without missing too many days of work.

1) Should I jump on an October interview if it's offered? (Are these very common? I was just offered one, but I was already missing several days of that rotation due to a personal reason and I didn't want to take another day off, so I scheduled that on Nov 2nd causing me to miss the day on my next rotation.)

2) Are any of the months of the interview season more densely packed than others or are all interviews pretty much evenly conducted throughout Nov/Dec/Jan?

Our institution provided us with the results of a survey of last years students as to when the interviews were conducted.

Here is the data for those going into IM:

Prior to 10/24: 3
10/24-29: 0
10/31-05: 9
11/07-12: 13
11/14-19: 37
11/21-26: 22
11/28-12/3: 36
12/5-10: 26
12/12-17: 27
12/19-24: 7
12/26-31: 0
1/2-7: 15
1/9-14: 14
1/16-21: 10
1/23-28: 4
after 1/30: 0

Hope that helps.

Our institution provided us with the results of a survey of last years students as to when the interviews were conducted.

Hope that helps.

Hey, thanks - that does help! Looks like mid-Nov to mid-Dec is the heaviest for your institution. Good to know!

Apologies to Gutonc - I did kind of feel like that post was out of place. An FAQ thread seems far more appropriate as I imagine a ton of questions on the horizon.

Hey, thanks - that does help! Looks like mid-Nov to mid-Dec is the heaviest for your institution. Good to know!

Apologies to Gutonc - I did kind of feel like that post was out of place. An FAQ thread seems far more appropriate as I imagine a ton of questions on the horizon.

Glad this helps, just to clarify, these numbers are when our students had interviews elsewhere, not when our IM department conducted their interviews. Not sure if that matters.

Hope that helps.

This more or less jives with my personal experience. 1 or 2 in early November, Most (12-14, I honestly don't remember anymore) between Txgiving and Xmas, a couple more in January, one in February (I needed to have an interview for both IM and Hem/Onc on the same trip and the first week of Feb was the only time they did both).

Not sure if this is the right thread but to any ladies out there.. in terms of interview wear, is only a traditional pantsuit/ suit and skirt set appropriate? For example I am thinking of wearing a knee length black dress (very conservative, high neckline) with a black suit jacket. Is this considered too casual?

For those of you who have gotten interviews, congrats! Quick question, I just sent in my app so I don't expect interviews right away but did you guys have your transcript sent in at the time of your eras submission or are you getting interviews based on eras app alone?

I second this question! Anyone who can answer? And congrats on your interviews!!

Caribbean student
Step 1: 235/99
Step 2: 236/99
GPA: 4.0 and all High Honors in rotations
Class Rank: #1
1 Publication, 1 more in progress
Strong LoRs.
2 Medical School awards for academic performance.

Applied to 78 programs total; 72 university and 5 university affiliated-community, and 1 community programs

Should I be worried that I haven't heard back from any programs except Loyola (rejection) ?
I've seen that quite a few people have already received IVs to places I have also applied to.
Am I freaking out over nothing?

1) Assuming you put in a decent amt of safety programs, don't jump on too many interviews early in the season. A lot of programs will only offer after the dean's letter comes out. I ended up scheduling a lot of safeties early on (4 in late oct/early nov) prior to the dean's letter. I ended up losing interest in a lot of programs and even canceled 2 interviews because I wasted my energy on a bunch of safeties.

2) December/Jan will be the dense months

Not sure if this is the right thread but to any ladies out there.. in terms of interview wear, is only a traditional pantsuit/ suit and skirt set appropriate? For example I am thinking of wearing a knee length black dress (very conservative, high neckline) with a black suit jacket. Is this considered too casual?

I think a dress would be approriate but if in doubt, go more formal.

Couple Qs for the vets:

1. When should we start booking flights, especially if southwest doesn't fly there?

2. Money saving tips?

3. Packing tips?

4. When to worry if we did not get an interview listed above?

1) Book flights when you know you are going on the interview. You'll probably save some money if you can book early.

2) Pick the cheaper hotels. Go to the dinner for free food.

3) Put stuff in a suitcase. Get a good suit bag, it will save you from having to repress your suit.

4) Worry if you don't get an invite 2 weeks after your dean's letter comes out. That said, a few programs will take a while to get back to you.

Caribbean student
Step 1: 235/99
Step 2: 236/99
GPA: 4.0 and all High Honors in rotations
Class Rank: #1
1 Publication, 1 more in progress
Strong LoRs.
2 Medical School awards for academic performance.

Applied to 78 programs total; 72 university and 5 university affiliated-community, and 1 community programs

Should I be worried that I haven't heard back from any programs except Loyola (rejection) ?
I've seen that quite a few people have already received IVs to places I have also applied to.
Am I freaking out over nothing?

If programs are already offering interviews and you applied at the same time, you may not be getting an invite.

Your stats are pretty solid so you should match somewhere... maybe just not your top choice. 78 applications is pretty broad.

1) Book flights when you know you are going on the interview. You'll probably save some money if you can book early.

2) Pick the cheaper hotels. Go to the dinner for free food.

3) Put stuff in a suitcase. Get a good suit bag, it will save you from having to repress your suit.

4) Worry if you don't get an invite 2 weeks after your dean's letter comes out. That said, a few programs will take a while to get back to you.

Thanks for the info. I am scheduling every interview I get (safety or not) until the big hitters respond. I think I will hold off on any travel plans until the first week of Nov (unless I can book southwest :) )

Any recommendations on a carry on garment bag?? The one I have now definitely needs to be checked.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm planning on buying a dress as well. Pantsuits make me feel like i'm in a straightjacket. I don't think you can go wrong with a well tailored dress. So far, finding a matching suit jacket has proven to be problematic.. that and getting interviews.

What kinds of questions were you guys asked during your interviews? Does anyone have a good list of sample questions?

What kinds of questions were you guys asked during your interviews? Does anyone have a good list of sample questions?

Why internal medicine?

Are you interested in fellowship?

Are you interested in acdemics?

You should have a solid well thought answer to these three questions at minimum.

Anything in your application that might be odd or possible "red flag" have answer thought out when they ask you about that as well.

If you list a hobby or interest (easy things to talk about in an interview) actually make sure you know something about it.

I'm planning on buying a dress as well. Pantsuits make me feel like i'm in a straightjacket. I don't think you can go wrong with a well tailored dress. So far, finding a matching suit jacket has proven to be problematic.. that and getting interviews.

Yeah pantsuits make me feel ridiculous too. In last year 's interview thread things didn't seem to start picking up until late sept-October so I wouldn't worry yet!

Now to find a good low heel...Im always in flats but heels seem to be more 'professional'

I also suggest to any of the students I work with this time of the year, find one non-fiction book that you think looks good and read it - maybe something on economics, or politics, or science. Make sure it's interesting, and if they ask you if you've read anything good lately (and it comes up more often than you might think), you can talk intelligently about a new book you read.

(If you say you like reading journals, no one will believe you.)

Yeah pantsuits make me feel ridiculous too. In last year 's interview thread things didn't seem to start picking up until late sept-October so I wouldn't worry yet!

Now to find a good low heel...Im always in flats but heels seem to be more 'professional'

I always thought that low heels looked good at interviews.

The pant suit is kind of industry standard, but that might be a good reason to go with a dress. The same way most guys will show up in a black suit - boring - try something different.

The same way most guys will show up in a black suit - boring - try something different.

I've heard that everyone is told that everyone wears black, so go with blue, then everyone ends up wearing blue. Having not been to the interviews, I don't know what exactly is the case. Any suggestions, I have not yet bought a suit to replace my 10 year old JC Penny one and thought I should before interviews.

For med school I only did 3 interviews. First one I just wore a nice shirt, second a dress shirt but no tie, the third I broke out the suit. I got accepted to all 3, but I don't think I want to do something quite that different this time around.

Last edited:
I've heard that everyone is told that everyone wears black, so go with blue, then everyone ends up wearing blue. Having not been to the interviews, I don't know what exactly is the case. Any suggestions, I have not yet bought a suit to replace my 10 year old JC Penny one and thought I should before interviews.

For med school I only did 3 interviews. First one I just wore a nice shirt, second a dress shirt but no tie, the third I broke out the suit. I got accepted to all 3, but I don't think I want to do something quite that different this time around.

Forget black, forget dark blue, go gray. At least I did :D

Thanks for the info. I am scheduling every interview I get (safety or not) until the big hitters respond. I think I will hold off on any travel plans until the first week of Nov (unless I can book southwest :) )

Any recommendations on a carry on garment bag?? The one I have now definitely needs to be checked.

You're probably gonna have to check it (although I often was able to fit it in the overhead bin). Folding up a garment bag will probably wrinkle your suit and then what's the point? Airlines used to have a closet where you could hang up coats but no longer (I think I just dated myself).

Why internal medicine?

Are you interested in fellowship?

Are you interested in acdemics?

I got asked those 3 questions at every single interview.

I also got asked about my hobbies at almost every interview.

If you did research, definitely know the pub/ideas inside and out. Also read up on the background topics again. It is a good idea to know more background info than the interviewer will so that you sound smart (duh).

The pant suit is kind of industry standard, but that might be a good reason to go with a dress. The same way most guys will show up in a black suit - boring - try something different.

I completely agree. I decided to do just this for my interviews and it worked out great for me. I actually found my interview suit online. Here it is:

ZootSuit.jpg

You might think a middle eastern person looks weird in a purple zoot suit but you'd be surprised how many people commented on it. It was a conversation starter. I originally was going to wear this one:

draft_lens18451060module152948788photo_1315064293aladdin.jpg

I really felt this one highlighted the "diversity" that I brought to the table but in the end decided on the first one.

NOTE: if you take my advice, your results may vary (and you probably won't match).

I completely agree. I decided to do just this for my interviews and it worked out great for me. I actually found my interview suit online. Here it is:

ZootSuit.jpg

You might think a middle eastern person looks weird in a purple zoot suit but you'd be surprised how many people commented on it. It was a conversation starter. I originally was going to wear this one:

draft_lens18451060module152948788photo_1315064293aladdin.jpg

I really felt this one highlighted the "diversity" that I brought to the table but in the end decided on the first one.

NOTE: if you take my advice, your results may vary (and you probably won't match).

:lame:

This reminds me.. there was a guy in my year who as a third year med student used to wear a full-on grey suit ( and carry a briefcase) to hospital. Needless to say he wasn't well liked by the other med students. He once got followed around the hospital by an unsuspecting group of med students who thought he was the attending :laugh:

I sent in my app on Labor Day. 7 of the schools I applied to have already been offering out interviews to other applicants, and since I don't know that much about the process, I am kinda worried. My transcript got uploaded early last week and all of my letters were in by Weds of last week. Like many other people, my Dean's letter will not be in until late Oct/early Nov. I am definitely not the best applicant out there with respect to Step, standing in class, etc. I would classify myself as average, but I do attend a well-respected medical school.

My questions:

1) When should I assume that rejection is on the horizon from schools that are already offering interviews?

2) Should I assume that the schools already offering interviews do not require the Dean's letter to give out interviews?

Any words of encouragement, advice, wisdom, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I sent in my app on Labor Day. 7 of the schools I applied to have already been offering out interviews to other applicants, and since I don't know that much about the process, I am kinda worried. My transcript got uploaded early last week and all of my letters were in by Weds of last week. Like many other people, my Dean's letter will not be in until late Oct/early Nov. I am definitely not the best applicant out there with respect to Step, standing in class, etc. I would classify myself as average, but I do attend a well-respected medical school.

My questions:

1) When should I assume that rejection is on the horizon from schools that are already offering interviews?

2) Should I assume that the schools already offering interviews do not require the Dean's letter to give out interviews?

Any words of encouragement, advice, wisdom, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks!

1) If you don't hear back a few weeks after the dean's letter.

2) No. On the board last year there were a lot of people who got interviews to schools I applied to before the dean's letter came out. I was freaking out as well. When the dean's letter came out the interview invites started pouring in. I ended up matching to my #1

I will be traveling to Florida and Pennsylvania for interviews in Nov and Dec. is it appropriate to call up the other programs I applied to in these states and mention that I'm going to be in the area if they want to interview me? Or would that be considered presumptuous?

I will be traveling to Florida and Pennsylvania for interviews in Nov and Dec. is it appropriate to call up the other programs I applied to in these states and mention that I'm going to be in the area if they want to interview me? Or would that be considered presumptuous?

Don't do that.

Don't do that.

EDIT: Don't do that yet.

Once the MSPE has gone out (and you give programs a couple of days to finish reviewing apps...Nov 1 is a Tuesday so waiting until the following Monday would be good), if you still haven't heard from places in the neighborhood then, it doesn't hurt to contact the PC and say that you'll be in town and hoping to get a chance to interview at their program. The worst that can happen is they say "no," which they were going to say anyway regardless of whether you called them or not.

But calling them in mid-September is in fact very presumptuous.

Once the MSPE has gone out (and you give programs a couple of days to finish reviewing apps...Nov 1 is a Tuesday so waiting until the following Monday would be good), if you still haven't heard from places in the neighborhood then, it doesn't hurt to contact the PC and say that you'll be in town and hoping to get a chance to interview at their program. The worst that can happen is they say "no," which they were going to say anyway regardless of whether you called them or not.

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to call them before I dish out money for flights etc but early November sounds reasonable.

I'm dreading the release of MSPE as my class rank is atrocious and I feel it's only going to hurt me. I'm an IMG so I really hope they focus more on my usmle scores than the MSPE.

What things are we expected to take with us to the interviews... CV, score transcripts, ecfmg certificate, etc? I know these things are all on file with Eras but is there anything in particular they ask for when they see you in person?

What things are we expected to take with us to the interviews... CV, score transcripts, ecfmg certificate, etc? I know these things are all on file with Eras but is there anything in particular they ask for when they see you in person?

I brought my CV to every interview last year and never once needed it. If it makes you feel better to bring those things with you, fine, but you won't need it. Everyone who's interviewing you either has a copy of your application or is intentionally blinded.

Can we create an X vs Y thread for this year (i.e. I want to go into HemeOnc and I am borderline between Dartmouth and Brown)?

Any thoughts on Cleveland Clinic? People at my school who interviewed there last year were not as impressed as they thought they would be (due to the amount of IMGs and Osteopathic students and perceptions of them being malignant). However, when I look at their match list, it seems pretty darn impressive. I'm curios to see if anyone has any new insight. I read some of the old threads, but am hoping for some fresh info. Thanks!

One of the problems people often talk about with cleveland clinic is that it is very fellow run. You are not given the same kind of autonomy as other programs.

One of the problems people often talk about with cleveland clinic is that it is very fellow run. You are not given the same kind of autonomy as other programs.

I'm trying to think of a polite way of bringing this up when interviewing. People at my school who interviewed last year liked Case>Cleveland for the reason you mentioned. I have just had a secret crush on the clinic since undergrad :D

Any great websites for interview prep?

thanks DVN, will try to find it in library this weekend.

Any thoughts on Cleveland Clinic? People at my school who interviewed there last year were not as impressed as they thought they would be (due to the amount of IMGs and Osteopathic students and perceptions of them being malignant). However, when I look at their match list, it seems pretty darn impressive. I'm curios to see if anyone has any new insight. I read some of the old threads, but am hoping for some fresh info. Thanks!

Take it from someone with personal experience, it's a specialty driven hospital. CCF doesn't make money and get its glory from general training programs - specialties are where they focus the most. Therefore, they have crappy general internal med, general peds and general surgery programs. When you interview there, don't be fooled by the glitz and insanely pure white walls. Good luck and hope this helps. If you need more info, you can PM me.

1) If you don't hear back a few weeks after the dean's letter.

2) No. On the board last year there were a lot of people who got interviews to schools I applied to before the dean's letter came out. I was freaking out as well. When the dean's letter came out the interview invites started pouring in. I ended up matching to my #1

Does anyone know what it is exactly about the Dean's letter that makes or breaks the decision to invite an applicant? Presumably, most of us have sent in LORs from our MS4 AI month as well as other LOR from people we worked with clinically, they already have our grades/scores...

I've been told many programs do indeed wait until early/mid november before even giving out invites to a number of people who end up matching at the program...but you still recommend contacting them a week into november?

Take it from someone with personal experience, it's a specialty driven hospital. CCF doesn't make money and get its glory from general training programs - specialties are where they focus the most. Therefore, they have crappy general internal med, general peds and general surgery programs. When you interview there, don't be fooled by the glitz and insanely pure white walls. Good luck and hope this helps. If you need more info, you can PM me.

Once interview time roles around I think I will definitely need to speak to you. The allure of CCF name and the match list are enticing. Nevertheless, I need a solid training program. Thanks for the post.

Does anyone know what it is exactly about the Dean's letter that makes or breaks the decision to invite an applicant? Presumably, most of us have sent in LORs from our MS4 AI month as well as other LOR from people we worked with clinically, they already have our grades/scores...

I think there are a few reasons:

1. The application is typically complete at this point, they get a better picture of the applicant.

2. Deans letter breaks down where you stand in your first 2 years, your 3rd year, and overall in your class.

3. It is a nice summary of the applicant.

4. They like making us wait :smuggrin:

I've been told many programs do indeed wait until early/mid november before even giving out invites to a number of people who end up matching at the program...but you still recommend contacting them a week into november?

Oy vey! A little common sense can go a long way in this process.

If, by mid-November (define that as you will), you haven't gotten an interview from Program X, and you see by looking at the interview thread on this forum that Program X has given out a bunch of interviews already then, go ahead and contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.