2012-2013 University of Hawaii Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Hawai'i and not applying to this school. Just a head's up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from kentucky and not applying to th is school

is there a secondary fee on top of the $150 processing fee?

thanks for the reply. how much is the secondary fee?

So Im applying to this school and I found this on another thread regarding how the screening process works, does anyone know if this is still correct?

"The way it works is this:

They award points for each of the 3 parts of the MCAT, 2 for 11+, 1 for 9-10, and also points for GPA, 2 for GPA higher than 3.8 1 for 3.6-3.8. The same standards apply to the sGPA. If you have volunteer EC in medicine they give you 2 more points.

If you get 16 points or more you get an interview.

3 interviews, 2 with docs, NOT AFFILIATED WITH SCHOOL, they give you contact info you call them and set up your own interview appointments at their offices, which are not on campus. Last interview is exit interview with dean of admissions where he explains everything.

Interviewers write up report and recommend acceptance or not. Someone from the admissions committee is assigned to your file, presents it to the entire committee.

Each committee member, votes 1-10 on your file, with 10 being the best. They average your votes and then order them.

Top 6 OOS get in. If your average vote score is 9+ then they will let you know immediately, ie december, if not and you still get in then April, (Hawaii is non rolling admissions)."

I'm also curious about the point system that has been around in past jabsom threads. Do they still use the point system? And are there other things they look for like gpa trend or research?

did you guys received secondary from this school yet?

im not sure if i did or not, but i did get an email that says they confirmed my 150 dollar application fee and had to fill out an application with two essays and listing my prerequisites, but it never did say supplemental application.

has anyone received the secondary yet? if so, would you mind posting the prompts and word limits? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
im not sure if i did or not, but i did get an email that says they confirmed my 150 dollar application fee and had to fill out an application with two essays and listing my prerequisites, but it never did say supplemental application.

yesss that's the supplemental application :) it's in pdf format, there is not a word limit given but each essay answer is about 3/4 of a page in length. After receiving this package in an email there is a 2 week deadline (it'll say this on your pdf so don't hold off on it). I snail-mailed mine, you can email some parts (the essays) but they require a signature on the course completion page... which I guess can be scanned and sent!
Happy Secondary Writing :)

Describe succinctly the important experience(s) in your life which began the process
that motivated you to enter the career of medicine. (Please Type)

Please explain why you are applying to the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School
of Medicine. (Please Type)

Hey thanks for the reply! so the questions asks to describe the important experience that "began the process", so it seems like they want us to discuss the experience in our lives that started our interest in medicine... does that sound right?

Hey thanks for the reply! so the questions asks to describe the important experience that "began the process", so it seems like they want us to discuss the experience in our lives that started our interest in medicine... does that sound right?

yup, i just sent mines in via mail. i actually had to really think about this question because I didn't want overlap with my personal statement. anyone know when UH starts handing on interview invites? my gpa is well below average, so not sure if i will get one but gotta keep the faith lol

It's too bad this is one of my top schools. UH is a pain to apply to.

Does anyone know if we can just email the secondary back? And if so, what address?

I'm not too confident in snail mail...

Interview invite today via email!

Does anyone know if UH still uses the point system to screen? If so then do you know what the point system is? I've seen previous threads pf it but they all seem different so I'm looking for the current breakdown. By the way I'm not talking about the kamaaina residency screen but the other point system where they give you points for mcat, gpa, ec's etc.

If anyone knows what the point system is then I'd really like to know. I am instate but I'm not sure about the other stuff.

Interview Invite :)! So excited (international student), never thought I would see this opportunity!

Hey, what was the turnaround time between the time you sent in the secondary packet and the interview invite? I sen't my packet in on the 18th via snail mail from the east coast, so im anticipating it getting there by the 25th at the latest. thanks for any info everybody and good luck!

Hey, what was the turnaround time between the time you sent in the secondary packet and the interview invite? I sen't my packet in on the 18th via snail mail from the east coast, so im anticipating it getting there by the 25th at the latest. thanks for any info everybody and good luck!

Hey I sent my packet in on the 18th of July via snail mail (also from the East Coast... err not quite but Toronto-ish), I Fed-Ex'd it though so it was there on the 19th of July... I received my interview invite on August 9th :)... so almost 3 weeks until turn-around!

I hope that helps! The staff and students have been very supportive and helpful as well, so you should definitely email them if you have questions!

good luck, maybe I'll catch you on the island :D!

Hey I sent my packet in on the 18th of July via snail mail (also from the East Coast... err not quite but Toronto-ish), I Fed-Ex'd it though so it was there on the 19th of July... I received my interview invite on August 9th :)... so almost 3 weeks until turn-around!

I hope that helps! The staff and students have been very supportive and helpful as well, so you should definitely email them if you have questions!

good luck, maybe I'll catch you on the island :D!

Thanks for the response--it was super helpful. I'm definitely going to email the office in a couple of days to make sure they get it. When is your interview scheduled for--if you dont mind me asking? I am super tempted to fly back to Hawaii (if I get an interview) at the earliest possible date, but financially it would make sense to wait for my Christmas break if there is an interview date in that window. Your plans/thoughts? Flights to Hawai'i are ridiculously expensive, and I'm hoping the Hawaiian Air direct from NYC isn't too crazy cause I do hate the California/Texas/Chicago layovers. Anyway, good luck with your interview!

Ah I totally feel the same way regarding the Xmas break being the cheapest/most convenient to my current academic schedule. This is quoted from the email "Two Interviewers are assigned to you from the pool of JABSOM Interviewers. Please contact the interviewers directly to schedule your interviews. The interviewers will offer you days/times within their own scheduling constraints. "

So to be honest, I don't believe we really have a choice by scheduling interviews... the next best date would probably be Canadian or American Thanksgiving for me! I will definitely let you know when my interviews are set in stone; I am really excited for this opportunity and about the PBL that they teach!

Also, I was planning on taking a bus to Cincinnati and flying out of there, I think it's only around 700$ round-trip!

Hey all,

I have a quick question that I've been trying to figure out based on previous years. If it's been answered already please forgive me.

So I know the U of Hawaii system is based on points correct? Do they use the point system to screen people for secondaries, or do they use the point system after they go over both the primary and the secondary in order to determine if they want to interview you? I ask mainly because I am OOS and I'm really trying to figure out if I should bother with a secondary if I dont have a shot at earning an interview.

Thanks

I am curious what exactly the point system is.

Hey all,

I have a quick question that I've been trying to figure out based on previous years. If it's been answered already please forgive me.

So I know the U of Hawaii system is based on points correct? Do they use the point system to screen people for secondaries, or do they use the point system after they go over both the primary and the secondary in order to determine if they want to interview you? I ask mainly because I am OOS and I'm really trying to figure out if I should bother with a secondary if I dont have a shot at earning an interview.

Thanks

Both. They outline the process on their website - go the admissions section and you'll see it there.

So one of my interviewers hasn't responded to my e-mail or voicemail in over a week. Should I just keep waiting or contact the admissions office?

So one of my interviewers hasn't responded to my e-mail or voicemail in over a week. Should I just keep waiting or contact the admissions office?

This happened to me too - they seem to take their time in answering correspondence. But they eventually got to me around two weeks afterward.

I was really busy this summer and I neglected checking my junk email for about 2.5 weeks.
Checked it today and I have an email from Hawaii stating that they had emailed me previously for the $150 application fee (before secondary screening). I checked throughout my email and COULD NOT find it! I'm not sure what happened and it's really freaking me out now. The email said that if I did not pay the fee by Sep 11, then I'd be rejected....

I was verified around late July so I'm guessing the first email (that i could not find) was sent around then.

Since I had not heard from the school (or so I thought), I figured that they had screened me out due to my lower MCAT and being OOS....I accepted that sadly and I really should have called the school or checked on my status....but I was busy and yes, I regret just assuming I had been rejected.

So my question is: should I pay the $150 application fee for the SMALL chance of receiving a secondary? or just accept the rejection?

I think I will be considered OOS. I'm not a Hawaii resident now, but I lived there for 10+ years and I still consider it my true home and I DO hope to move back there in the future.

So, guys...is my chance so small that I shouldn't bother with the $150? 4.0/28Q

I was really busy this summer and I neglected checking my junk email for about 2.5 weeks.
Checked it today and I have an email from Hawaii stating that they had emailed me previously for the $150 application fee (before secondary screening). I checked throughout my email and COULD NOT find it! I'm not sure what happened and it's really freaking me out now. The email said that if I did not pay the fee by Sep 11, then I'd be rejected....

I was verified around late July so I'm guessing the first email (that i could not find) was sent around then.

Since I had not heard from the school (or so I thought), I figured that they had screened me out due to my lower MCAT and being OOS....I accepted that sadly and I really should have called the school or checked on my status....but I was busy and yes, I regret just assuming I had been rejected.

So my question is: should I pay the $150 application fee for the SMALL chance of receiving a secondary? or just accept the rejection?

I think I will be considered OOS. I'm not a Hawaii resident now, but I lived there for 10+ years and I still consider it my true home and I DO hope to move back there in the future.

So, guys...is my chance so small that I shouldn't bother with the $150? 4.0/28Q

they accept around 6 OOS'ers every year...and 58 IS applicants. The odds are slim but if you have the money, why not apply? If you have that tie to Hawaii that may help and you should mention it somewhere, unless it is already indicated on your app. they like the OOS'ers who generally have some sort of tie to Hawaii as they are looking for physicians to stay on the islands to practice.

Cinamin, thanks!

after thinking throughout the day.... i'd rather have a rejection than not having tried.

I absolutely love Hawaii. I moved right before high school for parent's job, but think about going back.

Spirit of Aloha!! ...and dang, I miss the convenient spam musubi snacks everywhere :p

anyone have any comments about imi hoala..i know you have to be"disadvtantaged". However other then that how do they evaluate you. I saw the info on the website but its not too specific on how the evalutation process is carried out.

So Im applying to this school and I found this on another thread regarding how the screening process works, does anyone know if this is still correct?

"The way it works is this:

They award points for each of the 3 parts of the MCAT, 2 for 11+, 1 for 9-10, and also points for GPA, 2 for GPA higher than 3.8 1 for 3.6-3.8. The same standards apply to the sGPA. If you have volunteer EC in medicine they give you 2 more points.

If you get 16 points or more you get an interview.

3 interviews, 2 with docs, NOT AFFILIATED WITH SCHOOL, they give you contact info you call them and set up your own interview appointments at their offices, which are not on campus. Last interview is exit interview with dean of admissions where he explains everything.

Interviewers write up report and recommend acceptance or not. Someone from the admissions committee is assigned to your file, presents it to the entire committee.

Each committee member, votes 1-10 on your file, with 10 being the best. They average your votes and then order them.

Top 6 OOS get in. If your average vote score is 9+ then they will let you know immediately, ie december, if not and you still get in then April, (Hawaii is non rolling admissions)."

I am from Hawaii and I can give you what I got from the system. I think this is pretty much right but I heard different from the associate dean though about the GPA and EC.

The cGPA is given 4 points if the applicant is above a 3.8 (the sGPA is also the same way).

If your last 3 semesters are above a 3.5 you get 1 point

The MCAT is exactly the way you stated it.

ECs are worth 1 point (unless they changed this because the amount of points need has increased in the last few years before it was 14 now it is 16 for OOS).

Research is 1 point

Having an M.S. is 1 point and a PhD is 2 points

Publishing is 1 point

Honor and awards is 2 points

Legacy is 1 point (have family who are JABSOM affiliates)

There are also "hawaii points" given to people with ties to hawaii. If you have enough of these points then you have instate status (8 points to gain an interview instead of 16). This is all I know and I think there might be more info.

Good luck to you all, I will be only applying next year though.

anyone have any comments about imi hoala..i know you have to be"disadvtantaged". However other then that how do they evaluate you. I saw the info on the website but its not too specific on how the evalutation process is carried out.

I myself don't know either but don't think it is only for islanders. If you have strong ties to Hawaii, then you have a chance. You'd be surprise how many non-stellar applicants get into imi ho'ola. Just apply and see what happens and you maybe surprised.

I'm supposed to have an interview on Wednesday (10/3), but my interviewer hasn't confirmed the time of the interview yet (just given me a range of times). I've emailed him twice, and don't have his phone number...any suggestions as to what I should do??

I'm supposed to have an interview on Wednesday (10/3), but my interviewer hasn't confirmed the time of the interview yet (just given me a range of times). I've emailed him twice, and don't have his phone number...any suggestions as to what I should do??

Hey I'm interviewing 10/08 if you're sticking around and wanted to meet up!

call the office tomorrow and they should help you asap.. esp if you are flying down there!

I am from Hawaii and I can give you what I got from the system. I think this is pretty much right but I heard different from the associate dean though about the GPA and EC.

The cGPA is given 4 points if the applicant is above a 3.8 (the sGPA is also the same way).

If your last 3 semesters are above a 3.5 you get 1 point

The MCAT is exactly the way you stated it.

ECs are worth 1 point (unless they changed this because the amount of points need has increased in the last few years before it was 14 now it is 16 for OOS).

Research is 1 point

Having an M.S. is 1 point and a PhD is 2 points

Publishing is 1 point

Honor and awards is 2 points

Legacy is 1 point (have family who are JABSOM affiliates)

There are also "hawaii points" given to people with ties to hawaii. If you have enough of these points then you have instate status (8 points to gain an interview instead of 16). This is all I know and I think there might be more info.

Good luck to you all, I will be only applying next year though.

i don't know how to include the other part you quoted but they also add points for the writing section... I know bc I was given my breakdown last year.

Hey I'm interviewing 10/08 if you're sticking around and wanted to meet up!

Yeah, I'm home for the year, so just PM me! My work schedule is kinda crazy, but if you're here the weekend before, I'm slightly less busy on weekends.

call the office tomorrow and they should help you asap.. esp if you are flying down there!

Thanks for the advice! I actually emailed him one more time this morning (3 emails total), and he responded about an hour ago. I must seem so neurotic...haha

[OUOTE] Thanks for the advice! I actually emailed him one more time this morning (3 emails total), and he responded about an hour ago. I must seem so neurotic...haha[/QUOTE]

lol I emailed someone a couple times too i'm sure it's fine! :) g'luck

Yeah, I'm home for the year, so just PM me! My work schedule is kinda crazy, but if you're here the weekend before, I'm slightly less busy on weekends.

I'm glad you got everything figured out with the interviewer! I fly in Friday night and am staying the weekend and then headed back home right in time for midterms!

I am so excited for this interview, honestly, dream school! But I'm OOS (err out of country).

I know it says we are allowed to wear an Aloha shirt and slacks to interview if we want. I am not this bold and will be going with the traditional suit and tie. However, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to wear an Aloha patterned tie. Has anyone who has interviewed seen anyone doing this? Thanks!

i can't imagine that being a good look but if you can pull it off and 2 friends approve, go for it..

Status
Not open for further replies.