Here we go again: The third cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

legolaasMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here I sit with May 15th looming, and with only wait lists to my name yet again, my hope is quickly dwindling. I was in this position last year too, and to be frank: it sucks. What is even more frustrating is that you guys might consider me a "no brainer" applicant with a LizzyM score of 76 (39 MCAT, 3.74 cGPA), with over 200 hours of various volunteer work (about 100 of which is clinical).

My first application was done in haste with a great deal of overconfidence. Coming off of a 39 MCAT and with a really high GPA, I figured I would be a shoe-in for my state school, so I applied there and Harvard, because hey why not dream? :rolleyes: Come February, I had been to my state school interview, but hadn't heard anything back from Harvard. In retrospect it isn't a HUGE surprise, but at the time I was fairly angry that someone in the 99th percentile would be overlooked by any program at all. In the coming weeks I was accepted to my state school, and in a hot-headed decision, I withdrew the acceptance to take another crack at the ivy league. I really, really did not want to settle for a state school with my credentials. It was the worst decision of my life.

This past year I came in more determined than ever, and I had found SDN -- a secret weapon rife with tons of great information. I figured there would be no way that history would here repeat itself. Unfortunately for me, I ended up being overly anal and applying later than I should have (mid-June) and to only about twenty schools. This time around, the real killer was the secondaries. Applying to 15 schools was way too overwhelming. There were some schools that wanted me to write 2 or 3, 500 or so word essays...and THEN charge me 80 bucks for them to even look at it! Anyway, I got most of the secondaries done before their cutoffs, and in the coming weeks and months I was furious as I only heard back from 3 schools that weren't even top 20s. I attended the interviews anyways though, and became continually more furious with each wait list I received. According to the MSAR, I was at or above their 90th percentile for MCAT :mad:

So here I am...3 waitlists and about as many weeks before I'm going to have to start re-applying AGAIN. I think by now I have a good idea on what to do, so I'm not at all soliciting advice. Take this story though as a testament of how competitive medical school applications are now. Schools can afford to toss seemingly jaw-dropping applicants to the curb on a whim. So to all you pre-meds about to buck up and apply to medical school -- get ready for a wild ride, and don't be too upset if you don't get in this year, especially if you have mediocre stats like 33/3.6...I'm sure if you have good enough ECs, you'll see some interviews. :laugh:

Edit: First post, be gentle!

Members don't see this ad.

So here I sit with May 15th looming, and with only wait lists to my name yet again, my hope is quickly dwindling. I was in this position last year too, and to be frank: it sucks. What is even more frustrating is that you guys might consider me a "no brainer" applicant with a LizzyM score of 76 (39 MCAT, 3.74 cGPA), with over 200 hours of various volunteer work (about 100 of which is clinical).

My first application was done in haste with a great deal of overconfidence. Coming off of a 39 MCAT and with a really high GPA, I figured I would be a shoe-in for my state school, so I applied there and Harvard, because hey why not dream? :rolleyes: Come February, I had been to my state school interview, but hadn't heard anything back from Harvard. In retrospect it isn't a HUGE surprise, but at the time I was fairly angry that someone in the 99th percentile would be overlooked by any program at all. In the coming weeks I was accepted to my state school, and in a hot-headed decision, I withdrew the acceptance to take another crack at the ivy league. I really, really did not want to settle for a state school with my credentials. It was the worst decision of my life.

This past year I came in more determined than ever, and I had found SDN -- a secret weapon rife with tons of great information. I figured there would be no way that history would here repeat itself. Unfortunately for me, I ended up being overly anal and applying FAR later than I should have (mid-June) and to only about twenty schools. This time around, the real killer was the secondaries. Applying to 15 schools was way too overwhelming. There were some schools that wanted me to write 2 or 3, 500 or so word essays...and THEN charge me 80 bucks for them to even look at it! Anyway, I got most of the secondaries done before their cutoffs, and in the coming weeks and months I was furious as I only heard back from 3 schools that weren't even top 20s. I attended the interviews anyways though, and became continually more furious with each wait list I received. According to the MSAR, I was at or above their 90th percentile for MCAT :mad:

So here I am...3 waitlists and about as many weeks before I'm going to have to start re-applying AGAIN. I think by now I have a good idea on what to do, so I'm not at all soliciting advice. Take this story though as a testament of how competitive medical school applications are now. Schools can afford to toss seemingly jaw-dropping applicants to the curb on a whim. So to all you pre-meds about to buck up and apply to medical school -- get ready for a wild ride, and don't be too upset if you don't get in this year, especially if you have mediocre stats like 33/3.6...I'm sure if you have good enough ECs, you'll see some interviews. :laugh:

Dear god. I wonder if you've been blackballed for turning down an acceptance...? Or if you interview poorly.

Mid-june is not late.... and 20 schools should have been fine unless you just applied to the top 19 schools + state school.

Goodluck, don't forget a couple of DO schools!

In the coming weeks I was accepted to my state school, and in a hot-headed decision, I withdrew the acceptance to take another crack at the ivy league. I really, really did not want to settle for a state school with my credentials.

[...]

Take this story though as a testament of how competitive medical school applications are now.

That's not the lesson I would draw from your story. You are a competitive applicant for whom the process would have been easy with a little more rational thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the coming weeks I was accepted to my state school, and in a hot-headed decision, I withdrew the acceptance to take another crack at the ivy league. I really, really did not want to settle for a state school with my credentials.

Seriously?? It's cocky pre-meds like you that make me hate the full-blown narcissism that is medical school. :mad:

Can't say I feel sorry for you, bro.

It could be your arrogance and sense of entitlement that is holding you back. I bet it came through in interviews.

Go ND.

Seriously though, this is a nightmare scenario for pre-meds with similar stats applying. This is an exception to the norm.

Seriously?? It's cocky pre-meds like you that make me hate the idea of medical school. :mad:

really?

You'll be around people like that (I'm sure I'll have a god-complex so get ready :laugh:) the rest of your career... Buck up! they aren't that bad in real life

Dear god. I wonder if you've been blackballed for turning down an acceptance...? Or if you interview poorly.

Mid-june is not late.... and 20 schools should have been fine unless you just applied to the top 19 schools + state school.

You're right I edited it to reflect it not being WAY too late, but its still a lot later than you really should get your primary in. After like June 4th, you start having to wait weeks to get reviewed and that obliterates your chances.

Wait, do people really get blackballed? Why would they waste the chance to get someone with an otherwise fantastic application just because I wanted to see how high I could go??

There were some schools that wanted me to write 2 or 3, 500 or so word essays...and THEN charge me 80 bucks for them to even look at it! Anyway, I got most of the secondaries done before their cutoffs...

What schools did you apply to where you had to write so much? :confused: Duke?

Only most of them? So is that more than half? With everything you do, you're decreasing your chances.

Good luck. You'll need it.

The entitlement doesn't help, but assuming you've been knocked down a couple pegs, here's some advice. It seems like getting overwhelmed with your secondaries is what hurt you the most. This time around you'll know what to expect. Try taking a look at the thread that has most of the secondary essays now so you could get a head start.

I hope June isn't late. I plan on applying after my summer classes end at the end of June. I just am in that middle road between 3.6 and 3.7 and the closer to 3.7 the better. Hoping that's a good idea.

Seriously?? It's cocky pre-meds like you that make me hate the full-blown narcissism that is medical school. :mad:

Wow, way to jump to conclusions. That's a really good quality for doctors to have I hear :rolleyes:

This past year I came in more determined than ever, and I had found SDN -- a secret weapon rife with tons of great information. I figured there would be no way that history would here repeat itself. Unfortunately for me, I ended up being overly anal and applying later than I should have (mid-June) and to only about twenty schools. This time around, the real killer was the secondaries. Applying to 15 schools was way too overwhelming. There were some schools that wanted me to write 2 or 3, 500 or so word essays...and THEN charge me 80 bucks for them to even look at it! Anyway, I got most of the secondaries done before their cutoffs, and in the coming weeks and months I was furious as I only heard back from 3 schools that weren't even top 20s. I attended the interviews anyways though, and became continually more furious with each wait list I received. According to the MSAR, I was at or above their 90th percentile for MCAT :mad:

:|

Members don't see this ad :)
You are the Biggest troll in the history of the internet.

right after the dude who wants to be black because he is Egyptian

oh, and the happy chinese girl

and the kid who said he beat his girlfriend

and the kid who said he made out with his premed advisor

and there were a couple other ones a few years back...

oh yeah I'm forgetting about the kid who was a varsity athlete with a 4.0 and 40 who was worried Harvard might not want him because he wasn't the captain of the team

some real gems on this website

That's a bit harsh - why do you say he's a troll? He just seems like your normal run-of-the-mill cocky premed.

Wow, way to jump to conclusions. That's a really good quality for doctors to have I hear :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm not the one who turned down my one acceptance only to reapply and be rejected all over again. But let's not point fingers.

The kid who said he was Egyptian and wanted to check the African American block had a legit point. Egypt is in Africa. Don't like it? So sorry, change the descriptions.

I hope June isn't late. I plan on applying after my summer classes end at the end of June. I just am in that middle road between 3.6 and 3.7 and the closer to 3.7 the better. Hoping that's a good idea.

It probably wouldn't be the end of the world, but you should get it in there as soon as you can.

That's what she said. :p

You are the Biggest troll in the history of the internet.

...wait, you're serious... it seems like anyone with outside-the-norm stories get written off as trolls. Why is this story so implausible to you?

I'm definitely not trying to inflame anyone, but maybe someone will be better off for having learned about my struggles.

The kid who said he was Egyptian and wanted to check the African American block had a legit point. Egypt is in Africa. Don't like it? So sorry, change the descriptions.

Yeah, I agree but he created like 5 posts about it. And he bumped his stupid thread every time it was about to die out. I would have just checked it off and never said a word about it. Many kids do this every year.

It probably wouldn't be the end of the world, but you should get it in there as soon as you can.

That's what she said. :p

...wait, you're serious... it seems like anyone with outside-the-norm stories get written off as trolls. Why is this story so implausible to you?

I'm definitely not trying to inflame anyone, but maybe someone will be better off for having learned about my struggles.

Slow and steady wins the race. In so many ways.

The only pitfall you will face is that getting verified takes a while (maybe 6 weeks or so by then)... and few secondaries will come before that (if any).

If you won't be getting a huge boost, then I'd recommend not waiting until late june unless you have a nice middle tier state school to bank on.

Going from a 3.60-3.62 isn't a big deal.... Calculate it out to make sure the wait is worth it

Hey, I'm not the one who turned down my one acceptance only to reapply and be rejected all over again. But let's not point fingers.

You can correct naivité, but you cannot correct arrogance. GL in your medical career.

The only pitfall you will face is that getting verified takes a while (maybe 6 weeks or so by then)... and few secondaries will come before that (if any).

If you won't be getting a huge boost, then I'd recommend not waiting until late june unless you have a nice middle tier state school to bank on.

Going from a 3.60-3.62 isn't a big deal.... Calculate it out to make sure the wait is worth it
I'm more like 3.63 and the classes would move me to 3.65. Although my sciGPA is at a 3.67 and it would only move to a 3.69. (assuming all A's)

This seems too frivolous actually.

My secondaries probably wouldn't come until after my MCAT anyways which won't be coming back until July 21st at the earliest. Sigh. SDN always makes me feel behind.

While I do feel bad for you, I'll have to side with everyone and say that there was probably something wrong with the interview.

Do med schools know if you turned down an acceptance?

That's a bit harsh - why do you say he's a troll? He just seems like your normal run-of-the-mill cocky premed.

Wow, cocky AND run-of-the-mill? Clearly you're new to this. I'm just confident, there is a difference.

Submitting in mid- or late-June is NOT late. You'll be verified in mid-July to early-August. During this verification process, you can pre-write most of your secondaries and have them ready to go when you're finally verified. For reference: I submitted in mid/late-June and filled in the secondaries as soon as I was verified. I had the option of interviewing early on in the interview season at most of the schools that invited me to interview. If you've got a competitive application, June isn't late. The problem with the OP is that he submitted his secondaries (and hence was considered 'complete') presumably right "before the cutoffs" of the schools. His declining his first acceptance may have also played a role (or maybe his LORs, ECs, writing and/or interview performance were lacking and that his stats got him his acceptance at his state school).

Edit: Since your classes end at the end of June, when will you know your final grade and when will AMCAS receive your most up-to-date transcripts? These two factors might end up delaying your verification by an extra few weeks. I don't think your application will be considered too late if it is competitive; but you definitely won't be considered early either. How big of a GPA boost are we talking about here?

Last edited:
I think medical schools don't like it when you withdraw from a school that you applied, interviewed, and got accepted in so that you can reapply the following year. How are they assured that you wouldn't do the same thing to them? This might be why you're having such a difficult time

Wow, cocky AND run-of-the-mill? Clearly you're new to this. I'm just confident, there is a difference.

Apparently your confidence may have been misplaced. One of the two of us got into medical school in one cycle.

Raise your hand if it's you.

So to all you pre-meds about to buck up and apply to medical school -- get ready for a wild ride, and don't be too upset if you don't get in this year, especially if you have mediocre stats like 33/3.6!

Your post is useful in the sense that it illustrates the fact that medical school admissions are competitive and can seem arbitrary at times but your post also implies that it's only about an applicant's test scores and GPA. I have less than a 33 on my MCAT (which you define as mediocre in your post) and am a first time applicant with 7 acceptances and 1 waitlist. Test scores/GPA are obviously important but there are so many more factors at play in this process. The biggest things I learned from this application cycle is that this whole process is unpredictable and very humbling, to be grateful for every interview/acceptance you are offered, and to apply to schools you would be happy to attend (so that when you do get an acceptance, you are excited instead of turning it down).
Just my 2 cents. I hope you do end up getting off a waitlist this cycle itself, but if not then good luck next cycle.

There's a difference between confidence and arrogance. You appear to be the latter. That shows when you have to tell schools that you have previously been accepted to a medical school, but you felt you were too good for them and are reapplying. Huge red flag.

Apparently your confidence may have been misplaced. One of the two of us got into medical school in one cycle.

read his story. He was accepted to state school - turned it down - reapplied - fruitless season. So technically he could raise his hand.

Oh snap Mr. Lewis...oh snap

Your post is useful in the sense that it illustrates the fact that medical school admissions are competitive and can seem arbitrary at times but your post also implies that it's only about an applicant's test scores and GPA. I have less than a 33 on my MCAT (which you define as mediocre in your post) and am a first time applicant with 7 acceptances and 1 waitlist. Test scores/GPA are obviously important but there are so many more factors at play in this process. The biggest things I learned from this application cycle is that this whole process is unpredictable and very humbling, to be grateful for every interview/acceptance you are offered, and to apply to schools you would be happy to attend (so that when you do get an acceptance, you are excited instead of turning it down).
Just my 2 cents. I hope you do end up getting off a waitlist this cycle itself, but if not then good luck next cycle.

I appreciate the kind words, but with stats like yours I'd say you probably got into low-mid tier schools. Obviously numbers aren't everything, but I have good ECs too.

Does anyone know about being "black-balled" for turning down the acceptance?

Sorry I missed this, but let me just say that even the blind squirrel finds a nut eventually...

You can correct naivité, but you cannot correct arrogance. GL in your medical career.

Hey, I'm not the only one who said you must have had some sense of entitlement that transferred over in your application. Pardon me for expressing my opinion; if you're so offended by criticism, maybe you shouldn't have posted your unfortunate story on an anonymous forum. Now you're just acting like a Legol-ass.

read his story. He was accepted to state school - turned it down - reapplied - fruitless season.

Immaterial. He is still searching, and he has succeeded in nothing but burning his bridges.

At least he was kind enough to post about it so that other people may read and not emulate his example.

I applied to 40, returned just under 30 secondaries. You can actually re use a lot of stuff after secondary #4 or so.

It could be your arrogance and sense of entitlement that is holding you back. I bet it came through in interviews.

This x1000.

Well, you did turn down an acceptance because you flt the state school was beneath you. If that's not textbook arrogance, I don't know what is.

Lol, good luck in yours, bro.

I applied to 40, returned just under 30 secondaries. You can actually re use a lot of stuff after secondary #4 or so.

Excellent point. I'd stretch that to secondary #7 or 8, but let's not quibble on semantics. The point is, OP should have been able to save himself some time with the secondaries so that it's not too much of a stretch to get them all in far before the deadlines.

I appreciate the kind words, but with stats like yours I'd say you probably got into low-mid tier schools. Obviously numbers aren't everything, but I have good ECs too.

I don't think schools like UW-Madison, Emory, Vanderbilt, or University of Minnesota (as examples of schools I got into) are "low-mid tier schools," as you state. Saying "with stats like yours" just further reinforces my point that you are all about the stats and are making assumptions about applicants/schools based only on stats. What have you been doing during these application cycles to improve your application?

why would you be confident after two failed cycles?

I'm confident that with my accomplishments, I'll get where I want to be -- THE TOP! To quote one of my favorite songs: "I get knocked down, but I get up again. You neva' gonna keep me down."

Remember it.

Hey, I'm not the only one who said you must have had some sense of entitlement that transferred over in your application. Pardon me for expressing my opinion; if you're so offended by criticism, maybe you shouldn't have posted your unfortunate story on an anonymous forum. Now you're just acting like a Legol-ass.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to you informed opinion. No one is entitled to ignornace."

I don't think schools like UW-Madison, Emory, Vanderbilt, or University of Minnesota (as examples of schools I got into) are "low-mid tier schools," as you state. Saying "with stats like yours" just further reinforces my point that you are all about the stats and are making assumptions about applicants/schools based only on stats. What have you been doing during these application cycles to improve your application?

Your reasoning makes me think your verbal section was the one that kept you down. Congrats on your acceptances though, I'm sure they saw something.

Sorry I missed this, but let me just say that even the blind squirrel finds a nut eventually...

You're still awfully cocky for someone getting ready to apply their 3rd time. I'm not sure the lesson has sunk in for you yet.

Your reasoning makes me think your verbal section was the one that kept you down. Congrats on your acceptances though, I'm sure they saw something.

Nope, definitely not. What are you doing to do when you come up empty this cycle?

What's the record for most reapps?

Your motivation for medicine seems to be a bit blurry based on your decision to withdraw from your initial acceptance. Is it prestige you chase?

Does anyone know about being "black-balled" for turning down the acceptance?

Is there any doubt why you didn't get in? You's a jerk bra. But seriously, why the hate?

I'm confident that with my accomplishments, I'll get where I want to be -- THE TOP! To quote one of my favorite songs: "I get knocked down, but I get up again. You neva' gonna keep me down." [/I]

Yeah, right. Top ten after a third cycle. Pardon me while I hold my breath.

With this attitude, you'll either be at the top doctor with malpractice suits or the top person asking for welfare assistance

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to you informed opinion. No one is entitled to ignornace."

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Whatever, bro. I'm done trying to reason with you. Hey, if this cycle doesn't work out for you, maybe you should try nursing. I bet you'll go far.

Status
Not open for further replies.