Here we go again: The third cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to story? Now I'm getting nervous, even though I don't think that would happen to me, but still, what if they have just one off day.

I would link to story but I don't want to put the professor's identity out there. You could probably find it on google though if you're a good researcher.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
lol. eligibility restriction #1 on HMS secondary:
"Candidates are considered for admission a maximum of two application cycles. Applications from individuals who have already made two previous application attempts will be rejected. Incomplete application attempts count towards the two time maximum."

....how about them apples?

"Candidates are considered for admission a maximum of two application cycles. Applications from individuals who have already made two previous application attempts will be rejected. Incomplete application attempts count towards the two time maximum."

Well, there is still Mayo. :thumbup: I hate Boston anyway.

Beat me to it!

Always second best...

And I repeat: I have learned that maybe Harvard isn't my only choice. It would have been nice, but any top 10 or 15 will do.

You kidding me? 10-15 will not give you an adequate education. Only the TOP will do.

As much as I love this thread, I stopped reading after OP quoted Chumbawumba!!!!

obvioustroll.jpg

Looking forward to it! Are you also going to retake the MCAT and get a 45? You gotta make sure those top schools see that you've improved your application so they'll have to take you.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread has made me so entertained and frustrated. OP obviously your drive to be a doctor is overshadowed by your drive to "be the top" which is ridiculous because anyone who gets into a US MD school is "in the top." OP apply broadly and this time don't turn down an acceptance because you think you are "better"

Also good looks on whoever posted the thing abt Harvard and how many times you can apply you beat me too it

Yes, you should be very good at filling out AMCAS by now.

One of my family friends turned down an acceptance their first cycle during my first postbac year in 2005 (from morehouse actually) because they thought they could do better with high stats (actually higher than the OPs, I think they had ~4.0 and high 30s but applied really late, like September). They had 3 failed cycles (their last one was on my app cycle) and I think he's been doing research to try to improve his app for a couple years; I'm finishing med school in 3 days; if he'd taken that first acceptance he could have almost finished an internal med residency by now instead of being a premed. Turning down acceptances completely f-s you for future cycles.

Congrats man!! That's a HUGE deal!! Where are you headed next if you don't mind me asking?

Looking forward to it! Are you also going to retake the MCAT and get a 45? You gotta make sure those top schools see that you've improved your application so they'll have to take you.

I might have to retake since my MCAT is expiring at a lot of schools. It depends.

This thread has made me so entertained and frustrated. OP obviously your drive to be a doctor is overshadowed by your drive to "be the top" which is ridiculous because anyone who gets into a US MD school is "in the top." OP apply broadly and this time don't turn down an acceptance because you think you are "better"

Also good looks on whoever posted the thing abt Harvard and how many times you can apply you beat me too it

I don't want to be JUST a doctor though. I'm going to be a doctor that graduated top of one of the most prestigious schools in the world.

I thought there were no Rs in Hahvahd.

Well considering there won't be any I's in Harvard either, it's somewhat of a moot point, eh?

As much as I love this thread, I stopped reading after OP quoted Chumbawumba!!!!

obvioustroll.jpg

May I ask what your beef with Chumbawumba is? Also, way to contribute to thread...then again most people haven't anyway. :thumbdown:

You could probably find it on google though if you're a good researcher.

tumblr_m1cpgy5z5k1rsstf3o2_400.jpg

http://www.independent.com/news/2009/mar/03/ucsb-prof-victimized-yet-again/?print

"I don't want to be JUST a doctor though. I'm going to be a doctor that graduated top of one of the most prestigious schools in the world."

Exactly my point. You care more about the prestige than the profession, which is looking for caring clinicians. I don't know you so I can't say anything about your personality except based on what you post here, but if this drive for prestige above anything comes off during an interview or on a secondary, even with numbers like yours you will not be considered. After having an extremely successful cycle myself I can tell you schools want to see a caring person with a drive to help others and a profound interest in medicine. Not simply a flashy prestigious title.

....LEAVEEEEEE BRITTTNAAAAYYYY ALOOONEEEEEEEE!!!!... :cry::cry::cry::cry:

A very entertaining read indeed. Good luck to the OP, but if he really wants to get into a med school this upcoming cycle, he'd better not let that attitude of his shine through in his application or interviews. A little humility goes a long way.

May I ask what your beef with Chumbawumba is? Also, way to contribute to thread...then again most people haven't anyway. :thumbdown:

No beef with Chumbawumba, but rather that somebody who supposedly has such an inflated sense of his own intellect would ever use their lyrics as a point of argument. You's be trollin.

Sorry if I'm disappointing all you guys who are hoping OP is for real. :(

OP, I fully believe that your application is as flawless as you say it is in reference to your stats and aspects of it outside of the numbers. So it is obvious that your arrogance and superiority complex are your issue. You mentioned you are personable and would be surprised if someone disliked you...considering the comments you've made, it is obvious you are a narcissist. Of course people dislike you, but you are so in love with yourself that you would never be able to tell. You claim people are jealous of you and looked down upon someone who got into 7 schools including Vanderbilt. Are you really that dumb to not understand why you keep getting rejected? I hope the best for you at Harvard...oh wait. Lol.

I appreciate the kind words, but with stats like yours I'd say you probably got into low-mid tier schools. Obviously numbers aren't everything, but I have good ECs too.

Does anyone know about being "black-balled" for turning down the acceptance?

Sorry I missed this, but let me just say that even the blind squirrel finds a nut eventually...

Troll alert. Maybe just try coming off as something besides an arrogant pre-med and someone will accept you.

Last edited:
Troll alert. Maybe just try coming off as something besides an arrogant pre-med and someone will accept you.

this is why i hate SDN trolls... they are much more skillful and inconspicuous compared to the average muppet.

OP, I fully believe that your application is as flawless as you say it is in reference to your stats and aspects of it outside of the numbers. So it is obvious that your arrogance and superiority complex are your issue. You mentioned you are personable and would be surprised if someone disliked you...considering the comments you've made, it is obvious you are a narcissist. Of course people dislike you, but you are so in love with yourself that you would never be able to tell. You claim people are jealous of you and looked down upon someone who got into 7 schools including Vanderbilt. Are you really that dumb to not understand why you keep getting rejected? I hope the best for you at Harvard...oh wait. Lol.

I don't know where you people are getting this from. Maybe the internet doesn't convey my tone very well, but I am extremely well liked by all my peers and supervisors. You guys need to chill with the ad hominem.

I hear Ross is the Harvard of the Carribean.

Underhanded insults will get you nowhere in life.

A nice way to spend time at a rest stop on the way, though

is that 100 clinical hours your ONLY exposure to the medical field? no research/etc? I didn't read thoroughly through every response bc Im lazy so Im sorry if someone already said this. but it's my understanding that any top 20's are research heavy, not to mention schools like Harvard have the whole "family-legacy" thing going on.

and the fact that you thought 20 secondaries was too much? you gotta do what you gotta do. buckle down, write the essays, and get off your high horse. this a holistic review process, there's way more things adcoms look for than high stats.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there somewhere on AMCAS where you have to report any previous med school acceptances? Or is that just matriculations?

Anyway, if the schools you're applying to somehow know that you had been accepted in the past and turned it down to re-apply, that is most likely why you have experienced failure this cycle and may continue to have a hard time gaining admission in the future.

Either way, a good lesson for other pre-meds out there. Good luck if this is a real post. The Chumbawumba qoute is suspicious.

It could be your arrogance and sense of entitlement that is holding you back. I bet it came through in interviews.

:thumbup:

The whole original post is just dripping with arrogance and superiority. I definitely believe that the OP's attitude came through in the interviews. And seriously calling 3.6/33 mediocre? Isn't a 33 around the 85-90th percentile? That's pretty good to me.

I don't want to be JUST a doctor though. I'm going to be a doctor that graduated top of one of the most prestigious schools in the world.

From this I gather that you were probably not very enthusiastic at the "not" top 20 schools you interviewed at because they weren't Harvard. I guarantee that this attitude was picked up on by interviewers. "Less" prestigious schools seek out the applicants that aren't truly considering going to school there.

I don't know where you people are getting this from. Maybe the internet doesn't convey my tone very well, but I am extremely well liked by all my peers and supervisors. You guys need to chill with the ad hominem.

Are you 100% positive that you are well liked? I've seen a lot of people act like they like someone and bad mouth them when they aren't around. Can you be sure that people take to you as you perceive. Maybe you should have a "Truth Moment" with some of your peers and supervisors to help you evaluate your personality.

I'm not going to insult you because so many have done it already and that's not really my personality. You convey tone in writing just as you do in speech (MCAT VR, you know this), and your tone comes off as ARROGANT, EGOTISTICAL, and with a SUPERIORITY COMPLEX. Even if you don't mean it to be that way, you may have to re-evaluate because it does. I understand that you want to be the best you can be at a place you deem to be the best. We all do! At the end of the day, what do you care more about? Being a good doctor or attending a prestigious institution. You can move more blocks after you have completed residency to be the best doctor than attending a Top 10-15 institution. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people from all top schools that are at the bottom of their class. And guess what? They don't amount to be anymore than someone who attended a state school in the top 25% of their class. It's the work you put in it that matters. Name only goes so far.

As for what someone else mentioned, maybe you don't have enough research under your belt. I do wish you the best and hope you get in the next time around. Also, have you thought about the reality if you are never accepted again? What is your Plan B? Good luck to you!

Go ND.

Seriously though, this is a nightmare scenario for pre-meds with similar stats applying. This is an exception to the norm.
He got accepted. That's not a nightmare scenario.

You bakers are all toasting in a roll bread.

Wow, that's seriously messed up. How did he know that it was this professor?

Now that I re-re the news story, it sounds like the student broke into his office to obtain a copy. Somebody posted a link to the story up above.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0nyOyrprIs[/YOUTUBE]

Now that I re-re the news story, it sounds like the student broke into his office to obtain a copy. Somebody posted a link to the story up above.

Even though this student was obviously a complete nut job, I don't feel bad for professor dick head at all. Why not just refuse to write the letter? Why go out of your way to ruin a student's future? I really can't think of how you could be bigger jerk...

And OP what are you going to do if you get rejected again? Honestly, I don't see you getting an acceptance at top 20 when it is your 3rd time applying. Why not actually apply broadly and take an acceptance if you get one?

I love this moment so much I want to have sex with it and raise a family of little baby moments.

"UCSB's campus was put on high alert for a few days, though it was presumed that Shamsian would not show, as he was studying medicine in Guadalajara, Mexico, at the time"

:laugh:

Dear OP,

thank you for such an entertaining thread. Not only did I get a few laughs, but I have also regained faith in the admissions process. I see that they are selective for a reason.

Sincerely, Xenops

Why do people want to go to Harvard? Just watch that PBS documentary and look how terrible the lives of those guys turned out, haha.

Dear OP,

thank you for such an entertaining thread. Not only did I get a few laughs, but I have also regained faith in the admissions process. I see that they are selective for a reason.

Sincerely, Xenops

But he was accepted at a school, so technically it wasn't effective as you say.

And am I the only one who thinks that professor is a huge Dbag for purposely ruining that kid's future? I can't think of a lower thing for someone to do...

But he was accepted at a school, so technically it wasn't effective as you say.

And am I the only one who thinks that professor is a huge Dbag for purposely ruining that kid's future? I can't think of a lower thing for someone to do...
Ruining the future of a person who would threaten your life and report you falsely for sex crimes? In addition to all the other things that professor saw/experienced that made him write that type of letter in the first place? Nope, I am quite glad he kept that student out of US medicine, personally.

Ruining the future of a person who would threaten your life and report you falsely for sex crimes? In addition to all the other things that professor saw/experienced that made him write that type of letter in the first place? Nope, I am quite glad he kept that student out of US medicine, personally.

The threatening and other stuff was done after the fact, there are no reports of the student doing anything before he wrote the bad LOR. Im assuming the prof just didn't like him. I'm not saying that the student in question is a great person (he's obviously a nut job), but to say you will write someone a letter of rec and to knowingly destroy their future is just ****ing low. This is professor is not a victim, honestly I think he deserves worse. Power-hungry loser...

Status
Not open for further replies.