Dental School: iPAD or Surface Tablet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsteotomyOMFS17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,
I want to get a tablet for dental school... I'm just wondering, which one do you think is more beneficial: iPAD or Surface tablet? (and why?) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about the same thing since most material is powerpoint or pdf. I was thinking more surface since it is more powerful (core i5) and not Apple. I have just started my research on these two products so I have much to learn and guess it would really come down do which has the better apps for note taking and recording. I was curious about hard drive space and what people think is enough.

I was also looking at something like the lenovo yoga as well...

From what I've read, it seems like some people get the iPAD because not only can it run powerpoint etc, but also it has a lot of really good free study and clinical apps (all dental specific). But it seems like the Surface is superior in most other ways...so I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same dilemma just a few months ago. I ended up going with an iPad. The reason I chose an iPad is simply because there are more apps. I am sure the Surface is great and all, but I felt like is was a little more risky. I am sure the Surface would be great too though. The Surface was also a lot more expensive than the iPad I was looking at.

Anyways, I love my iPad, and you won't be disappointed if you buy one.

For any touchy device, you should look at its ecosystem. I like Surface Pro a lot but like many people pointed out, it does not have many apps yet. I think it is way too early to buy any Win8 tablet device unless you only like to run PC program.

saying windows doesnt have apps is ridiculous. what do you think people have been running on their desktops since, idk, the 90's?

the surface pro (which is the i5 device mentioned earlier) is comparable more to a macbook air. it's not in the same category as an ipad. the surface RT (not mentioned ITT) is what you would compare to an ipad, and the ipad is the better bet due to the whole ecosystem thing.

tablets like the ipad or the nexus are great for consuming. if all you will do is consume on this device, get the ipad. if you'd like a full powered laptop (read: any .exe file will work on it) that can also be used for consumption whenever you want, get the surface pro or any other core ix device that comes out in the coming year. it really depends on your specific needs for the device.

i will say, with an ipad you also most likely need a laptop or desktop that you keep at home. the surface pro combines those two so that you need one device.

saying windows doesnt have apps is ridiculous. what do you think people have been running on their desktops since, idk, the 90's?

the surface pro (which is the i5 device mentioned earlier) is comparable more to a macbook air. it's not in the same category as an ipad. the surface RT (not mentioned ITT) is what you would compare to an ipad, and the ipad is the better bet due to the whole ecosystem thing.

tablets like the ipad or the nexus are great for consuming. if all you will do is consume on this device, get the ipad. if you'd like a full powered laptop (read: any .exe file will work on it) that can also be used for consumption whenever you want, get the surface pro or any other core ix device that comes out in the coming year. it really depends on your specific needs for the device.

i will say, with an ipad you also most likely need a laptop or desktop that you keep at home. the surface pro combines those two so that you need one device.

I am not saying PC does not have "programs" (Office/Photoshop/whatever)... that is why I say if you want to run PC program (so-called .exe file type) then buy Win8 devices. But of course, Win8 App store sure has way less apps compared to iOS/Android...

of course, and i mentioned that.

comparing a full computer operating system to a mobile one is the issue, as they perform different functions. as i said, depends on what OP wants to do with the device

of course, and i mentioned that.

comparing a full computer operating system to a mobile one is the issue, as they perform different functions. as i said, depends on what OP wants to do with the device

Well, I do have a pretty new laptop (Dell), so it sounds like maybe iPAD is the way to go then, huh?

iPad is a far more mature product with the most apps from developers. iPad no doubt.

iPad with notability is how I'm keeping my notes organized.

There has been some negative reviews Surface Pro's battery life. Are you okay with it dying after 3.5 hours of usage?

iPad with notability is how I'm keeping my notes organized.

There has been some negative reviews Surface Pro's battery life. Are you okay with it dying after 3.5 hours of usage?

What do you mainly use to write a note with notability? Do you use a stylus pen or physical keyboard(not the one in iPad)? I felt the responding time with stylus pen maybe slow.

Neither...

Get a Samsung ATIV 500T if you want to be around the 600 price range. It's an atom based win 8 tablet with Wacom digitizer (i.e a real stylus). Unless you're going to be doing heavy duty stuff Atom dual core is sufficient and it will get you ipad like battery life (8 hours +). Also this isn't Win RT or iOS which are handicapped, crappy OS' that don't offer half the functionality of a proper operating system. Also Office 2013's One note is definitely the best note taking program and with the stylus you can sketch stuff, write or type, record lectures and sync them with notes etc.

If you want something with more battery life get the Asus Vivotab 11.6" and the keyboard dock for 15+ hours.

If you know you need performance, any of the i5 tablets would do. I am currently using a HP 2740p which is an older gen tablet PC with a full voltage i5 (not LV like the newer tablets). These older ones with capacitive touch and styluses are like super powered Surface Pro tablets. Of course with the older ones you won't have the really slim form factor or the ridiculous battery life (mine gets 4-5 hours tops). Of course One Note works with all Win 8 tablets and even older tablet PCs.

EDIT: There is plenty more to be said, but I'd rather not type out an essay. If you have any specific questions about any of the points above feel free to PM me. As someone really into technology there is a lot more to elaborate upon if only you're interested.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget that iPad's can't connect to USBs, just something to keep in mind.

If you're going to lean to the surface make sure it's the PRO. You will not be tethered to any app markets, since it is the full windows 8 OS. Unlike Ipad or the surface RT which are confined to their own app stores, ($$$)

And also, Microsoft Onenote is an amazing program for notetaking/note organizing. I can pull up any powerpoints from any semester by clicking 3 buttons while in the program.

If you're going to lean to the surface make sure it's the PRO. You will not be tethered to any app markets, since it is the full windows 8 OS. Unlike Ipad or the surface RT which are confined to their own app stores, ($$$)

And also, Microsoft Onenote is an amazing program for notetaking/note organizing. I can pull up any powerpoints from any semester by clicking 3 buttons while in the program.

One Note 2013 is even better with a stylus because it has palm rejection and more accurate handwriting to text, as well as touch based gestures for scrolling and zooming. Basically you have an extremely advanced sketchpad with the ability to record sound and sync it to your notes, regardless of whether they are typed or written. And you can make the necessary drawings etc. with the stylus if your computer has an active digitizer.

100% with you on ditching iOS and Win RT. Mac OSX and Win 7/8 are worthwhile OSs but these mobile operating systems are too crippled for one's primary device.

I have had an Ipad 2 for a couple years now and have used it extensively... i have written a couple reviews on it, so i will just copy and paste it here. There are some things to think about, if you haven't used one for school before. Some of the pricing and app info might be old, but still useful.

There are a few limitations to consider, that i was unaware of before i got mine:

You simply can't type effectively on the iPad... you can type fast and efficiently. However, you have to hold your wrists in this weird position... so you get tired after 10-15 minutes of solid typing. If you take notes by typing, you will need to invest in a wireless keyboard.

If you plan on taking notes by hand.... you must know that the stylus is "finger like" so the tip is round, thick and rubbery, so if you have crappy handwriting like me, it makes it very difficult. It is also very sensitive to touch, so if the palm of your hand rests on the screen, it will mess up what you are doing. So you also need to buy some type of wrist guard, to prevent this, or hold your hand in a tiresome position while writing.

Also, no USB port. So the only way i have found to transfer things between devices is either emailing as a pdf to self or through dropbox... so that can kind of be a pain in the ***** sometimes. I did recently switch all my devices to apple, so i can now use cloud which is helpful.

You also have to consider the ipad screen is considerably smaller than a laptop. So if the professor packs a lot of notes in on one slide, you will constantly be having to zoom in and out, pretty annoying.

Furthermore, processing and surfing on the internet is just simply slower vs a laptop. Even on the exact same internet connection at my house... i will pull stuff up almost twice as fast (or more) on my laptop.

If you do decide to go with it... here are a few suggestions to make your life easier:

I have and continue to spend money on apps to make it school savvy. Here is a list of apps that i have found useful, with price and description:
-Atomic Browser, $1, tabbed internet browsing
-Puffin Browser, $1, allows viewing of flash videos
-Microsoft Quick Office, $15, edit and create word, excel, and pp docs
-GoodReader $3 and Noterize $4, edit and annotate PDF docs, both have different features that i like. GoodReader has a very good doc organizing features.
-UPAD, $5, best note taking app out there (and i bought 4), can write, type, record 30 min of audio per file, and then email it to yourself as PDF. ***Key feature - you can write very large in the tab, it then shrinks it down to regular paper level.
-Keynote, $10, best app for pp docs, much better at editing, and overall more user friendly.
-Dropbox, free, this is the best way i have found to toggle documents between primary computer and ipad.
-istudiez pro, $3 (i think), basically it is a calendar app meant for keeping track of school assignments, grades, etc. Very useful if used properly.

Overall, it is a fun toy and tool. But now my wife uses it solely. I have found it much more effective having the pp on my macbook. I type notes there and then keep hand notes on lined paper old school style. To make it effective for me, i had to buy a wireless keyboard... and then it was hard to toggle between the pp, notes app, and internet browser. It was also as nearly as big as my laptop w/ the keyboard... so i switched back to laptop.

Luckily i won the iPad from work, because knowing what i know now, i would not have spent $500 on one. It is simply not as efficient as my laptop and therefore is of no use for me at school.

what about the lenovo yoga - its also a tablet convertible

One Note 2013 is even better with a stylus because it has palm rejection and more accurate handwriting to text, as well as touch based gestures for scrolling and zooming. Basically you have an extremely advanced sketchpad with the ability to record sound and sync it to your notes, regardless of whether they are typed or written. And you can make the necessary drawings etc. with the stylus if your computer has an active digitizer.

100% with you on ditching iOS and Win RT. Mac OSX and Win 7/8 are worthwhile OSs but these mobile operating systems are too crippled for one's primary device.

I think WACOM digitizer and palm rejection features are the two important features to think about when taking notes on your tablet (especially if you want to handwrite on your PDF slides).

With an Ipad, you'll mostly underline and highlight. You'll want to keep writing to minimum as you'll have a hard time writing legibly on it imo.

I'm also in the market for a tablet. I'll probably wait until school starts. Talk to some upper classmen and see what they use.

I think WACOM digitizer and palm rejection features are the two important features to think about when taking notes on your tablet (especially if you want to handwrite on your PDF slides).

With an Ipad, you'll mostly underline and highlight. You'll want to keep writing to minimum as you'll have a hard time writing legibly on it imo.

I'm also in the market for a tablet. I'll probably wait until school starts. Talk to some upper classmen and see what they use.

What if you wanted a tablet MAINLY for note taking during lectures/reviewing notes? What tablet would you guys recommend? I plan on using my laptop outside of lecture. The WACOM digitizer and palm rejection features would be super nice for me since I'm the type of person who prefers to write my notes out on my powerpoints during every lecture (seems to reinforce the material better for me, at least). I don't think the ipad would be right for me. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I think I'm going to go with the surface pro even though it is twice the price but it saves me from buying a new portable computer. The OS, power and USB are really appealing in addition to everything else mentioned. I'm a microsoft/pc guy anyways so I want to stay with windows since it is where I am most comfortable and efficient.

I'm a notebook writer as well so I would like something designed for that.

i'm going to invest in those expensive five star notebooks with some of them pilot gel pens. screw technology.

BookFactory >>>>> Five Star. Go hardcover or go home.

I think I'm going to go with the surface pro even though it is twice the price but it saves me from buying a new portable computer. The OS, power and USB are really appealing in addition to everything else mentioned. I'm a microsoft/pc guy anyways so I want to stay with windows since it is where I am most comfortable and efficient.

I'm a notebook writer as well so I would like something designed for that.

Better make sure you sit near an outlet everyday in lecture because I heard the battery life sucks.

i'm going to invest in those expensive five star notebooks with some of them pilot gel pens. screw technology.

Agreed.

I stare at a screen long enough already. I don't need a new toy to increase the rate my vision is deteriorating.

Going old fashion is the way to go. Actual textbooks (none of that pdf or whatever format file types), real pens/pencils (no stylus) and real notebooks.

I used to have an Ipad (returned it) and had some of my books on it. Annoying as heck to study from. Nothing beats the feel and utility of real physical pages (though kindle is okay for leisure reading only).

I would too but my hand writing is terrible and I have a hard time reading what I wrote after a fast lecture lol.

ive always hated rushing in the morning printing out slides - and i think being able to write on a screen would really simplify things, and lighten my backpack - and make my notes easier to share

What if you wanted a tablet MAINLY for note taking during lectures/reviewing notes? What tablet would you guys recommend? I plan on using my laptop outside of lecture. The WACOM digitizer and palm rejection features would be super nice for me since I'm the type of person who prefers to write my notes out on my powerpoints during every lecture (seems to reinforce the material better for me, at least). I don't think the ipad would be right for me. Any suggestions?

Well you can't do something like this on an iPad. You can make small edits or highlight stuff, but you can't make detailed notes etc. If you want to handwrite notes or make intricate diagrams, you can use One Note or MS Journal. You can print the docs into one note or Journal and once it is in one note, you can do pretty much everything you can on paper.

To all the pen and paper people, I can respect you sticking to the tried and tested tools. For careless people like me though, the gadgets lets me not worry about organizing my notes. Adding a lecture recording synced up with notes is really helpful too which just can't be achieved on paper unless you use a Light Scribe pen and its special notebooks. Still, to each his own.

EDIT: The Lenovo Yoga and similar hybrids have existed for MANY MANY years though they are a more chunky in appearance. They are nice devices but remember than most of these i5 tablets have ~4 hours of battery life.

Surface Pro with no doubt.
Surface Pro costs you some money of course, BUT, it's a full functioning PC tablet.
You can run microsoft words, excels, powerpoints, etc.
Anything you can on your desktop, you can on surface pro.
I know IPad might seem like more mature product, but I disagree.
In real life, I can't count how many times I begged for a fully functioning tablet PC like the surface pro .

the yoga does not have a digitizer, so any stylus you use would be the same one you would use on an ipad (also no palm rejection). also the yoga 13 has some major fan issues, where the fan is always on or making a loud noise.

there is a tablet coming out called "helix" by lenovo. with the keyboard dock it's supposed to have 10 hrs. if it comes out before fall, you might consider that one over the surface pro (if the pro doesnt have a battery extender by then)

There are apps like Notability for the iPad that have hand/palm blocker so when you write with a stylus it only picks up the stylus.

I was watching some reviews on notability and it seems so cumbersome.

I would say about 20-30% of our class has iPads, so for the sheer amount of advice on apps, sharing of Kindle book promo codes, etc, go with the iPad. That way you know everything will work the same.

I imagine it's the same way at every school

Get the surface pro. I have been using the it for a couple weeks and note taking has changed forever. I do not even carry my notebooks anymore.

You probably can get Onenote 2013 for free as a university student. The battery for taking notes can last from at least 4.5 to 6hrs depending on the brightness setting. If you have a galaxy Note phone, the stylus on the Note is a better stylus to use for taking note on the surface as compared with the Wacom stock stylus because it is smaller, allowing a smaller distance from the tip of the pen to the screen. $1000 is worth it for dental school.

The recovery partition can also be removed (~8GB).

I cannot take notes with the iPad and I completely stopped using my laptop when I bought the surface.

Remember one important point, do not consider anything that does not have a good digitizer and response time for taking note.

iPad, Apple is growing every day and the more people have them the easier it is to share info like codes, app help etc

My vote is for iPad. It is the only thing I use to take notes and I love it!

I know you will probably chuckle at my question, but please enlighten me :D

What is the surface pro? It sounds like a laptop that can be navigated by touching the screen.

I wasn't planning to get a tablet for school, but this thread made me consider it. I was hoping to maybe get a mac air because I hate heavy backpacks. I want to get all e-books and take notes the old fashioned way.