0-6 schools, which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hilak

Reaction score
Hi all!

I recently got accepted to several schools that has a program like 0-6 or at least like an early assurance program. I know that this field has been over saturated, and unemployed pharmacists are everywhere but I have always wanted to become a pharmacist. So pls help me out.

For now I got accepted to MCPHS, University of Rhode Island, and University at Buffalo. Since I am an out-of-state, I have only a few ideas of how these schools are like. I researched a lot about them but didn't help me fully. So if you have any ideas about the cities and surroundings, just let me know !

Members don't see this ad.

Most people should still pursue a bachelors so as to cover pre-reqs for alternate paths in case something doesn't pan out as seen many times on here in specific regions.

That said, the only major factor with regional accreditation is "cost." Compare all tuition and cost of living. Some people think 1k - 2k annual difference isn't much, but I assure you that compounded interest adds up. From start to finish in a 0-6 program, add up all the cost by making an excel sheet of every school, looking up the cost of living index for each location, and of course tuition and transportation (with student insurance).

If you want specific culture details of each school, go to the Pharmacy School-Specific Discussions and look for each program in the search box. If you cannot find something recent, create a thread as many pre-pharms do look and answer to many of these programs on a daily basis.

Hi all!

I recently got accepted to several schools that has a program like 0-6 or at least like an early assurance program. I know that this field has been over saturated, and unemployed pharmacists are everywhere but I have always wanted to become a pharmacist. So pls help me out.

For now I got accepted to MCPHS, University of Rhode Island, and University at Buffalo. Since I am an out-of-state, I have only a few ideas of how these schools are like. I researched a lot about them but didn't help me fully. So if you have any ideas about the cities and surroundings, just let me know !
Since you're so eager to go on a career suicide I would just go with the program that graduates you the earliest (whichever one is a 5 year program).

The earlier you graduate, the earlier you will figure out for yourself firsthand in the unemployment line that your career is over before it even started, but more importantly the more time you'll have to figure out how to career pivot before that doesn't become an option anymore (due to age).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know that this field has been over saturated, and unemployed pharmacists are everywhere but I have always wanted to become a pharmacist.

Why?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
None of those schools are good because you're out-of-state. It's worth it to get into your own state school because it'll definitely save you $$$.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all!

No one can stop you from becoming a pharmacist. The job market couldn’t possibly be any worse than it is now. You’re going to need a back up plan once you’re done with school.

No one can stop you from becoming a pharmacist. The job market couldn’t possibly be any worse than it is now. You’re going to need a back up plan once you’re done with school.

Actually it can get worse, it gets worse every year, and will definitely be worse in 4 years when there's 60,000 more pharmDs. Everyone's 401k is taking a hit so no old pharmacists will retire anytime soon.

The job market couldn’t possibly be any worse than it is now.

Just a day after you posted this, it got worse. CVS announced it's cutting hours AGAIN.

One guy's store went from 120 pharmacist hours in 2018 to 87 pharmacist hours in 2020. Crazy!

• Wow
Just a day after you posted this, it got worse. CVS announced it's cutting hours AGAIN.

One guy's store went from 120 pharmacist hours in 2018 to 87 pharmacist hours in 2020. Crazy!

Your posts aged very well. Not in a good way.

Hi all!

I'd recommend choosing the school that focuses more heavily on the setting or path you'd like to work in. For example, if you want to dive into a clinical specialty then going to one that has a high residency match rate.

MCPHS in Boston you won't need a car unless you get screwed on rotations

Hi all!

Hey just wondering how long after your interview with Buffalo did they send you an offer? Also, if you've accepted ay of your offers, are the other schools aware of your acceptace?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to your local community college and major in nursing. You will be many times better off

Go to your local community college and major in nursing. You will be many times better off
Not everyone is compatible with the daily laborious tasks that nurses have to do, but yeah being a nurse is much better than being a pharmacist at the moment.

I would personally choose computer programming. It offers high pay, great job security, relatively little schooling/debt, and a cushy lifestyle that includes the ability to work from home.

OP has disappeared. I asked him the most basic question (why pharmacy) and he never responded.

OP has disappeared. I asked him the most basic question (why pharmacy) and he never responded.
He did respond, his disappearance from this pre-pharm subforum is his answer to you, good lad.

I would personally choose computer programming. It offers high pay, great job security, relatively little schooling/debt, and a cushy lifestyle that includes the ability to work from home.
You don’t need a degree for CS also. OP could study using treehouse at 200 dollars per month. And people get computer jobs from tree house academy. It’s a self taught online class for computer programming. That’s cheaper than boot camp and definitely PharmD

You don’t need a degree for CS also. OP could study using treehouse at 200 dollars per month. And people get computer jobs from tree house academy. It’s a self taught online class for computer programming. That’s cheaper than boot camp and definitely PharmD

CS degree with same amount of debt will get you 50k$ a year in my area.... pharmacy is above 110k$... If you work two years in pharmacy...its the same as working 4 years in the so called "programming jobs", and CS people are much more saturated with H1B's...good luck competing with people outside of the country- at least with pharmacy, you are only competing with people inside the country for a higher pay.

CS degree with same amount of debt will get you 50k$ a year in my area.... pharmacy is above 110k$... If you work two years in pharmacy...its the same as working 4 years in the so called "programming jobs", and CS people are much more saturated with H1B's...good luck competing with people outside of the country- at least with pharmacy, you are only competing with people inside the country for a higher pay.

What CS degree has the same amount of debt as pharmacy degree? How many job openings are there for these 110k pharmacist jobs? Care to post any? There are many unemployed pharmacists here looking for work.

They have stopped hiring H1Bs due to Trump’s policies. H1Bs are getting laid off. They want American graduates. It is not saturated. Saturated happened 10 years ago. Market for CS is correcting itself. CS has a 20% job growth. Actually, every industry you are competing with people outside of country. Even in medicine, you are competing with people outside of the country, but there is still a shortage of doctors.

One more person to refuse to precept or hire for me it sounds like.

They have stopped hiring H1Bs due to Trump’s policies. H1Bs are getting laid off. They want American graduates. It is not saturated. Saturated happened 10 years ago. Market for CS is correcting itself. CS has a 20% job growth. Actually, every industry you are competing with people outside of country. Even in medicine, you are competing with people outside of the country, but there is still a shortage of doctors.

Not really in the international levels... Most of the med/pharmacy schools dont even take international students..

Not really in the international levels... Most of the med/pharmacy schools dont even take international students..
Another stat on computer science is software development and automation or machine learning jobs is expected to grow 50%. Operation or maintaining software is 22% growth. Still way higher than pharmacy. Most medical residency programs do take international students. International students outnumber even USDO residents. Pharmacy schools do take international students, but most of them attend the school to complete a Ph.D. Tech companies are not hiring H1Bs anymore. In fact many companies are laying them off.