0.9 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nurselil7

Reaction score
Hey everyone just wanted to know other people's opinion....

Just a little about myself: I am a single child raised by two parents who did have any education at all. I come from a Hispanic background. My love for medicine started from a young age. I was always inclined to the sciences and always seemed to succeed well in those classes. In high school I developed a high interest in biology and decided I wanted biology to be my college major. However, because of my background I had no one to look up to and since my grades were good in high school I guess no one thought I needed guidance. Honestly neither did I. My high school teacher for biology suggested medical school. Long story short I entered college with high hopes and instead I was consumed by the social life college brought. A social life that I did not have in high school because I was shy, had low self-esteem and strict parents. So consequently I never went to class, didn't care for anything else but my social life. A lot of things happened during that time.My gpa by the end of sophmore year of college dropped to 0.9 gpa and I was suspended from the school.

Four years later went by. During that time I had worked as a CNA for about 2-3 years. Then obtained my LPN license and started to work as a nurse. By then I was 24 and I was much more mature. I had a goal in mind that I wanted to return to my college and finish what I had started (so to speak). So applied for readmission and I was accepted back into the same college I was kicked out of. In less than about 3 years I obtained my BS in Biology and obtained straight A's since the return. I took some graduate courses as well. I also conducted some research for one semester. I took the MCAT and got a 520. During these years I did a lot of community service in clinical areas mostly translating English to Spanish for patients and doctors. I have worked and still work closely with doctors. I have shadowed physicians, PA's and NP's. And honestly the physician route seems much more appealing to me for so many reasons. I am 27 years old now. I am mature now and my choice to become a physician is based on my experiences. I think I would be happy settling for NP or PA but I feel as though I would be doing just that: "settling". If there is a tiny chance for a MD or DO degree, I want to take it. Regardless, I wanted to know if I should even attempt to apply for a special master's program for medical school. My plan now would be to obtain my RN by completing a program my college has for students who already have a bachelor's degree. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
What is your gpa now? Both cumulative and science

@Goro has a list (and has suggested in other posts) schools that reward reinvention. Quite sure yours is one hell of a come back story. Way to kick some ass on the MCAT!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your gpa now? Both cumulative and science

hey its around 3.2 for both, but that's taking into account some of the horrible grades I got before. Like I said after my 4 year break from school I received a 4.0. Also, i received an A in the 2 graduate science courses I was able to take. But my school doesn't have grade forgiveness and those grades from the beginning are still calculated in my gpa.

With a 520 MCAT and a 3.2 and a solid upward trend, you're solid. Apply broadly. Tell a compelling story with your essays. Careful you apply before your MCAT expires. Congrats and good luck!

Reactions: 9 users
Table A-23 of applicant data from the AAMC lists percentage of applicants in specific GPA and MCAT ranges that received a single acceptance. The most recent table shows that 57.8% applicants, w/ a cGPA between 3.20 and 3.39 and an MCAT score >517, were accepted to at least one school. So the odds are definitely with you! Given your healthcare experience, recent academic performance, and MCAT score, adcoms at med schools can clearly see you're ready. If you apply strategically to the right schools (other members of this site have better knowledge in that regard) then you'll do amazing! Good luck. :)

Reactions: 3 users

Just a little about myself: I am a single child raised by two parents who did have any education at all. I come from a Hispanic background. My love for medicine started from a young age. I was always inclined to the sciences and always seemed to succeed well in those classes. In high school I developed a high interest in biology and decided I wanted biology to be my college major. However, because of my background I had no one to look up to and since my grades were good in high school I guess no one thought I needed guidance. Honestly neither did I. My high school teacher for biology suggested medical school. Long story short I entered college with high hopes and instead I was consumed by the social life college brought. A social life that I did not have in high school because I was shy, had low self-esteem and strict parents. So consequently I never went to class, didn't care for anything else but my social life. A lot of things happened during that time.My gpa by the end of sophmore year of college dropped to 0.9 gpa and I was suspended from the school.

Four years later went by. During that time I had worked as a CNA for about 2-3 years. Then obtained my LPN license and started to work as a nurse. By then I was 24 and I was much more mature. I had a goal in mind that I wanted to return to my college and finish what I had started (so to speak). So applied for readmission and I was accepted back into the same college I was kicked out of. In less than about 3 years I obtained my BS in Biology and obtained straight A's since the return. I took some graduate courses as well. I also conducted some research for one semester. I took the MCAT and got a 520. During these years I did a lot of community service in clinical areas mostly translating English to Spanish for patients and doctors. I have worked and still work closely with doctors. I have shadowed physicians, PA's and NP's. And honestly the physician route seems much more appealing to me for so many reasons. I am 27 years old now. I am mature now and my choice to become a physician is based on my experiences. I think I would be happy settling for NP or PA but I feel as though I would be doing just that: "settling". If there is a tiny chance for a MD or DO degree, I want to take it. Regardless, I wanted to know if I should even attempt to apply for a special master's program for medical school. My plan now would be to obtain my RN by completing a program my college has for students who already have a bachelor's degree. Any thoughts?
I suggest the following:
NYU
UCSF
Duke
Columbia
Case
Your state schools
Tufts
BU
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Wayne State
Tulane
Wake
U Miami
EVMS
Loyola
SLU
Albany
Drexel
Netter
Any DO school

Reactions: 4 users
If you have a 3.2 with a very strong upward trend and a 520 MCAT, you are on better footing than I was when I applied. I think you have done enough to show that you are not the same student that earned a 0.9. My freshman GPA was also sub-1.0. A few years of 4.0 coursework and an MCAT slightly lower than your's was enough to convince some places to give me a chance.

Apply to the list Goro posted. Consider adding
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Rush (if you have mucho volunteer hours)
Temple (same as Rush)
Nova (new MD)
and any other new MD schools this year.

You are golden for any DO school.

Congrats on the impressive comeback. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Reactions: 2 users
i still don't understand how its humanly possible to score a 520+ on the MCAT. Getting a PhD in astrophysics at MIT sounds much, much, much easier.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i still don't understand how its humanly possible to score a 520+ on the MCAT. Getting a PhD in astrophysics at MIT sounds much, much, much easier.
I studied for a few months. I mean hours and hours of studying and determination. I practiced a lot and I used a lot of the tutoring at my college. Trust it was not easy at all but I was so determined. I already messed up once in my life and I wasn't going to let that happen again

Reactions: 11 users
I'd add SUNY Upstate to your list as they also reward reinvention (they rewarded mine, for sure). Definitely agree you should apply broadly. The fee assistance program through AAMC should help. Sounds like you have a bright future ahead of you, good luck!

I mean, yeah it’s tough, but OP is a nurse, so... ;)

Congrats on your great score! Keep us updated!

Reactions: 2 users
I studied for a few months. I mean hours and hours of studying and determination. I practiced a lot and I used a lot of the tutoring at my college. Trust it was not easy at all but I was so determined. I already messed up once in my life and I wasn't going to let that happen again

I commend your perseverance. Fantastic job.

I'm glad I don't work in a union state

So many parallels between your story and mine! Comforting to see how confident people are in your chances. Please keep me posted on how things go for you and Good Luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
I'd add Michigan. Michigan values life experience.

So many parallels between your story and mine! Comforting to see how confident people are in your chances. Please keep me posted on how things go for you and Good Luck!!

same here.....WOW! thanks M1i and OP for this thread and reply post...gives me hope seeing other people..im currently trying to go back and finish my bachelor's within the next year