05/01/09 MCAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bowlin123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wrote the 05/01/09 MCAT. I thought the biological sciences section is extremely difficult and the other two sections were fair. I think there were 3 passages and many discrete questions on OCHEM. I used to get 10's or above on this section but I would be happy with a 10 on the section for today's exam

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, Holy ****, 6 or 7 orgo sections, I generally do well on orgo, but the first section with the different genes took too much time up. I ran out of time. Kinda sucks. I thought I would at least finished okay. Looks like I am going to have to take it again in June

i totally agree about the bio section. PS and verbal were ok (though I had to rush a bit at the end of verbal) but bio felt really hard, and didn't test alot of the things i expected. hopefully if we all feel this way the curve will be generous...

I completely feel the same way about the bio. I was getting generally above 10s on my practice tests (TPR and aamc) but this bio totally blew me out of the water...hopefully everyone feels this way and it is curved up right?

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely agree with the bio.. I thought I was home free after writing and then BAM BS hits me in the face. That genes passage was wtf. I don't even think you needed any BS for it.. it felt like a verbal passage.

P.S....Not bad..Guessed on quite a few...Honestly, I expected more "text book" types of questions, (hess' law, stoich, rate laws, etc)...I didn't like the format....(different from my ExamKracker books; which I studied)...

V.S....Almost ran out of time....I thought this would be my strongest section until I realized that I was on question 19 with 20 minutes left :laugh:......I had to stop reading ALL the passages and skim them instead...(ExamKracker told me not to skim though :laugh:)......I'm a pretty fast reader, but I just didn't feel as if there was enough time to think of a logical answer within the allotted time :mad:

Writing Sample....Easiest section for me!!....Too bad it hardly carries any weight:(

lol.....B.S today was not as I had expected....I felt so rushed, that I managed to finish a whopping 30 secs. early...

so I'm a little worried about this test...it seems like a lot of people didn't take it...so i don't know if would harm the curve...

PS section/ I thought was completely fair...any stoichiometric questions I left at the end and as expected I ran out of time so i randomly guest on like 5 or 6 questions...but this section was so much better than the 3/28/09 which i voided

VR section/ my weakest section so it just felt the same as any practice test i took...but i though it wasn't complicated...fair i guess

WR section/ whatever...but honestly the topic was amazing and i just wanted to write more...i never felt so focused on this section before..so it was just great

BS section/ my goodness...i never run out of time on this section, but apparently i did today...so much orgo...wow like 3 passages...i expected only 1...we def. need a curve on this section...

Good luck everyone!:xf:

What do you mean about not many people taking the test and that harming the curve?

I am honestly just glad that I am not going nuts... I could have sworn I was ready for this thing, but then the bio completely freaked me out - I am relieved I am not the only one that had this experience!

I feel that on a lot of the practice tests BS was a lot more reading comp than outside knowldege and they give you a lot of info in the passage. The consesus I've heard is that the recent MCATs are moving even more towards this. What this the case on the May 1st BS?

omg bs was tough. That passage about the different genes made my brain blow out my ears...and don't get me started in the orgo...

PS. I thought this was easy (finished with ~2-3 min spare) except for 1 circuit passage that got unnecessarily complicated in my head. I got 2 questions wrong for sure unfortunately =(

Verbal. (finished with ~3 minutes) I could NOT focus on the first two paragraphs so I did the really inefficient read questions look through passage for the answer. Rest of the passages weren't too bad though. After re-visiting the first two at the end, I realized those paragraphs weren't hard either, I just have an inability to focus.

WS. Really easy prompts imo.

BS. (finished with ~6 minutes) Okay, biology is probably my best section, but wtf. This section was so hard. There were 3 orgo passages (I suck at orgo). Did anyone else think the questions were really long in these passages? I had to re-read most of them a bunch.

Overall --> I would be happy if I hadn't made a few stupid mistakes but the test seemed fair. I think bio will work out with a curve...

3 orgo passages? holy crap! looks like AAMC finally is going back to showing us that orgo IS an integral part of the test. all the tests before this one in the past year or so definitely had 1-2 orgo passages max.

I'm glad to hear there's more orgo, though! the orgo passages are free points dude...what were the orgo topics?

3 orgo passages? holy crap! looks like AAMC finally is going back to showing us that orgo IS an integral part of the test. all the tests before this one in the past year or so definitely had 1-2 orgo passages max.

I'm glad to hear there's more orgo, though! the orgo passages are free points dude...what were the orgo topics?

I don't remember them now, but I believe:

1) Nucleophilic substitution
2) weird ketol resonance passage
3) I don't remember..

I suck at orgo and didn't study it much so that was no good. The real problem I think was that they each had like 4 mechanisms that you had to look over and wotnot. Like all the passages it was just long and confusing...

My take:

PS: not too bad but I did NOT manage my time well. I ran out of time and had to guess on about 6 questions...dunno how this happened bc I've never run out of time in this section before. :((((

VS: about like I expected. All the passages were long IMO. Not too hard though. There was a passage in love that I couldnt concentrate on.

WS: easy

BS: whiskey tango foxtrot. This is my best section normally but I felt like I got owned.

Overall impression= probable retake due to guessing so much in PS. TOtal bummer.

Members don't see this ad :)
My take:

PS: not too bad but I did NOT manage my time well. I ran out of time and had to guess on about 6 questions...dunno how this happened bc I've never run out of time in this section before. :((((

VS: about like I expected. All the passages were long IMO. Not too hard though. There was a passage in love that I couldnt concentrate on.

WS: easy

BS: whiskey tango foxtrot. This is my best section normally but I felt like I got owned.

Overall impression= probable retake due to guessing so much in PS. TOtal bummer.

Yep. What the hell was up with that passage and its random unreadability.

Here is what I think about the test (in reverse order):

Biological Sciences: I might have taken 35-40 full lengths in the past 5 months, and I have NEVER seen that many experiment passages on one Bio section, in any medium (TPR, EC, Barron's, even frickin AAMC). NEVER. It must have taken me twelve minutes to get past the first experimental passage. The good news - I took my time with it and I THINK I got all but one. The bad news - if that is the "traditional" experimental one (which I think, if they still do that with one of the passages, it HAS to be) then all of that effort was for nothing. There was an experimental passage on menstruation that was much easier that I didn't finish thanks to the first passage. The level of understanding that it takes to answer qualitative questions regarding those knockout mice would have taken a MASTERS level research student an hour - let alone undergrads. Despite that, I thought the Orgo was alot but fair. There was just not enough time to do more than two full mechanism analyses, but I got to them (though missed the NMR question, I think). Why so many experiments? To be honest, I think I did ok, but you never quite know.

Verbal - The first two passages were a blur. I don't even know if I remember either of them. The MCAT is NOT the place to try new speed reading methods, and I learned that quickly after the first passage. The subject matter seemed an easy enough read, but the questions were RIDICULOUS for the first passage. How do you make hard questions for an easy passage? I had a nice rhythm during Passages 3-7.5 but had to guess on the last two. As always, Verbal is a wash - my range could literally be anywhere from 11 to a 6 lol. SDN actually made me more anxious than I thought I would be, so I guess I should have just stuck to what works for me (which I did after the debacle of the first two passages). I guess we'll see.

Physical Sci - I don't remember most of the passages, which I think is a good thing. If one sticks out, that meant it was extremely hard. I don't actually remember using more than two BASIC physics formulas, and none of the motion stuff (besides harmonic, though I think most of those were all qualitative). One weird Galileo passage that had nothing to do with gravity, which slayed me. Didn't agree with the answer to one of the questions regarding light, even after I worked it out (at least I think I deduced the answer- after the section was over, of course). Another random comparison of v and a, but I think I just thought through that one. The physics stuff was minimal, and I think that is a good thing since you don't use Physics in medical school except for the blood pressure/flow stuff in Physiology. To be honest, I don't know what to expect from this section. I felt horrible after I did it (which may have played into the beginning of Verbal) but afterwards I feel good about it. Oh yeah - WTF is "precipitation dissociation"?

In conclusion, I think that this test could have been ALOT more difficult. Not to say I did exceptionally well, but the Phys section was not as bad as I anticipated it was going to be. Believe me, I was ready for ANYTHING - I had heard/read too many horror stories. The experiment-ridden Bio section was tough, but all of the questions were straightforward (except for the knockout mice, which in my humble opinion, is the worst passage I have EVER encountered before). I don't know if there is an actual curve, and I am not sure if they still do the experimental additions. Can anyone confirm this? All in all, I'm hoping for the best.

wow, that sounds like a nightmare BS section! i guess it was great for that minority of premeds that are killer at ochem....

BS was definitely the hardest section to me.
-the gene passage dealing with RCG (you know the one)
-3 orgo passages
-menstruation passage
-capillary passage
-can't remember the last one
VR would be the next hardest simply because it's verbal.
-first passage I had was about love....
-some passage to do with volcanoes and a missing city or something
-after that i think i had a copywrite/patent passage
-got back into the feel of it for the pulse jet passage
PS was alot simpler than I was hoping.
-first passage was the pendulum/double pendulum one which was a nice easy start for my MCAT day.

hopefully I made better than an 8 in verbal so I don't have to retake again. I didn't remember seeing a thread for today so I was actually contemplating making one during my MCAT. I just hope I didn't write it into my WS without knowing it.

Haha I came here to ask what the sections were because I can't remember if I skipped a passage on bio or not. Good to hear that I wasn't the only one who had time issues.

I remember all the bio ones, and the acetylene one and the allyl chloride one... what was the third orgo one?

IMO the test wasn't as bad as I thought besides running out of time on the BS section. ****, the VR section even gave me relationship advice, my girl's gonna love hearing that!

EDIT: Oh yeah! The ringed molecule that opens up when you react it with a nucleophile... right? Is that the third? Wow my brain is fried right now.

Last edited:
First impressions of the exam...

1. PS - Contrary to most of the opinions on here I struggled with the PS...I think I let test anxiety get to me for the first half of that section...grrr. Though, the only passage that's vivid in my mind is the first...maybe that's a good thing. Please tell me someone else is beating themselves up over getting an extremely obvious question wrong! Misery needs company!

2. Verbal - Strong recovery with verbal. I thought the passages were at least somewhat interesting. I'm so glad there wasn't a hard core philosophy passage...I either fall asleep or re-read those passages twice! Nice ending with the clouds...that's my background.

3. BS - I really did want to hurt someone while I read that mouse passage...I couldn't keep my mind from wandering away from the worst topic ever! I was spent by the time orgo hit with the last two passages. Thankfully a lot of the questions didn't pertain too much to the experiment, but, rather, to prior to background knowledge.

I'm thinking the PS section is going to be my lowest...simply because most of you guys seemed to have felt pretty good about this section...and I feel like poo. But, I guess we won't know for sure 'till June 2nd!

seriously, FML

wtf is up with the 3 questions per passage!!!

that knockout mice passage still got me tripping!

and LOVE sucks!!!!

PS: easier than I expected- more in line with AAMC practice exams.. tho there were a lot of calculations involved.. Also, I hated that freaking heater circuit question!! but other than that I thought PS was fair overall.
VS: this was the hardest section for me- YEA what was up with that passage on LOVE? MAn. I almost fell asleep reading that passage.. also, hated that passage on clouds and copyright/patent.. I don't feel good about VR at all....
WS: to be honest, i hated the topics given. never thought about these topics until today and that was bad- didn't use real examples as well..damnit
BS: tough tough. hated that RCG passage OH my. and since when mcat has 3 orgo passages?? this is insane. but overall i must say BS was alright- well i wrote 3/28 exam and that was just insanely hard compared to today's mcat but we had a really generous curveee (but i bombed on VR so retook). I don't think that's gonna happen this time tho- since most of you found the test to be somewhat doablee-

wow, almighty, i just tried to upmod you for saying FML. I spend too much time on reddit.

Wow...BS was tough today. WTF was with that mouse passage? I would've done just as well if it was written in Russian. I skipped it thinking I would save it until the end but there was a butt-load of o-chem too...Arghhh! I thought there was supposed to be less o-chem on the MCAT now? WTF? AHHHHH!

so I'm a little worried about this test...it seems like a lot of people didn't take it...so i don't know if would harm the curve...

Good luck everyone!:xf:

Just to let you guys know. The curve is pre set before you take the test. Meaning that it doesnt matter how many people took the test that day you will be fine. You are not really graded against each other as a traditional curve in a normal undergrad class. Hope you all did well, I had a few friends take the test today and they didnt seem to think iit was too hard! Hope that means good news for everyone.

i had 7 passages for each section...

I don't know there wasn't a thread for the may 1st exam and so i immediately assumed that many were taking it on the 2nd instead of the 1st...(i guess it was just me and freeking out the day before the exam...) that's why i thought the curve will not be good if so little people take it...

i guess we'll find out how it goes when we get our scores...

oh please, everyone, it wasn't the hardest MCAT ever. go read past MCAT threads. everyone says the samething..."OMG THAT WAS SO HARD THERE'S GOING TO BE A HUGE CURVE DON'T WORRY" or "I WAS SCORING 40S ON MY PRACTICE TESTS BUT I'LL BE HAPPY IF I GET A 30 ON THAT"

you'll get your scores back in a month and get around your practice AAMC average. the end. take the month off and don't comeback to the MCAT forum till then.

in other news, I'm rdy to rape my MCAT tomorrow!!!!1

i just read your post elijah05...yea i honestly though they curved it like our undergrad classes...thanks for the clarification!

I took the march 28th mcat and ended up voiding because I guessed on most of the questions. That test was nothing like the practice AAMC. Took today's test and felt way better about it although the bs was pretty challenging. IMO the march 28th test was ridiculously more difficult than todays test. Go check out that forum. Just be glad we didn't get that test today.

oh please, everyone, it wasn't the hardest MCAT ever. go read past MCAT threads. everyone says the samething..."OMG THAT WAS SO HARD THERE'S GOING TO BE A HUGE CURVE DON'T WORRY" or "I WAS SCORING 40S ON MY PRACTICE TESTS BUT I'LL BE HAPPY IF I GET A 30 ON THAT"

you'll get your scores back in a month and get around your practice AAMC average. the end. take the month off and don't comeback to the MCAT forum till then.

in other news, I'm rdy to rape my MCAT tomorrow!!!!1

just allow us to vent, dude.

I took the march 28th mcat and ended up voiding because I guessed on most of the questions. That test was nothing like the practice AAMC. Took today's test and felt way better about it although the bs was pretty challenging. IMO the march 28th test was ridiculously more difficult than todays test. Go check out that forum. Just be glad we didn't get that test today.

whatever dude, the March 28th test was not any harder than today's. That was simply your first real MCAT so you freaked out and succumbed to pressure. This time you went in with the attitude "been there, done that" so it was cake.

OUCH :eek:...I understand where you're coming from...I guessed on quite a few aswell, but I sure as hell wasn't about to void it, be out of $225, spend another $225, & 5-hour Friday morning taking it again!!

The thing that I find amazing about reading comments after each MCAT administration is the surprise people show that Organic Chemistry REALLY IS covered on the test! I know that the AAMC seems to be steering more toward Genetics now, but really, isn't Organic SUPPOSED to be covered as much as Bio/Chem/Physics? I'm not saying I agree that it SHOULD be, and I definitely feel the pain some are going through by having "surprises" on test day, but the test does say "Biological Sciences" and not "Biology I/II."

My personal opinion (which really doesn't matter) would be, just to make this whole thing more "fair" for those that have more insight into one subject over another, that the MCAT should not deviate from one exam to the next on the number of questions from each subject represented. Covering different sections within a subject, sure, but really, going from 2-3 Organic to 1/2 of your exam depending on your testing date and "misleading" examinees? There has got to be a better way.

I was personally a little ticked that the 4/18 didn't cover more Organic, but that's just my $.02. For someone who appreciates Physics and Organic, just to find Chemistry and Genetics, it really seems like a crap shoot in this regard.

(stepping down from soapbox...)

Congratulations to everyone that finished! I hope you all reach your goals!

thank God, i am not the only one who thought Bio section was hard. Is there anyway to figure out how many people actually took the exam today?? and yea in Official MCAT guide, it says curve is pre-determine but Kaplan told me something completely different. obviously "official" counts.

Anyways its over now, i m getting my application ready and as soon as colleges start their application process i am applying.

good luck everyone, i hope we all get double digit number.

Rockebooster.. you are not gonna rape shiiit.
You're gonnna get bud raped so hard you'll be screaming for a week!!!!
what the hell are you doing on this tread anyways trying to throw your two cents in when you havent even taken the test yet??

Gosh! EVERYONE thought the PS was easy!!! I'm going to CRY because I had only 8 minutes left with TWO passages to go :scared: .. In addition, I hate pendulum :mad:. I was so :mad: at myself; the fact that I totally lost track of time made me want to void the test. I expect a low score on this section :(

The VR was not so bad, but I ran out of time (as I always do on VR) --> guessed on the last passage.

The BS: I think it's not too bad except that killer passage.

The Verbal prompts were harder than I expected: I couldn't think of specific examples to back up

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever dude, the March 28th test was not any harder than today's. That was simply your first real MCAT so you freaked out and succumbed to pressure. This time you went in with the attitude "been there, done that" so it was cake.

I disagree...I took the MCAT in July 2008 then took it again on March 28 and voided my scores...then I took it today...Today's test was more similar to the practice AAMC tests...the PS section on the March test was much much more difficult...I had like 30 marked questions and ran out of time and couldn't answer like the last 2 passages...it was a really really bad test...but today's was fair..

Wow. I know I don't post on this site much but I'm not sure what to think.

P.S - started out easy for me but as the passages went on, i lost some of my confidence. I feel like i guessed on a large number but maybe that's just my post-anxiety.

V.R - the section i was most worried about... I loved it. I thought it was so easy. I was hoping for some social science type passages and I was really happy with the ones that were given.

W.S - I also thought the two prompts were pretty simple. Although my girlfriend hates that I watch CNN and MSNBC all the time, it helped on the politics prompt :p

B.S - That was pretty freakin' tough.

All I can say is that we're done for now and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my back. Taking 18 credits plus research plus MCAT is the worst idea ever. At this point, we should all be proud that we even took this test. I'm proud of myself and i've learned to cope with the fact that i did bad enough to the point that i'll have to retake it.

Good luck getting the score you hope for!

All i want to say is Congrats you are done!...Look on the bright side, you guys can start working on your apps that open May 5 and by God's grace you all did fine.

i think in general people do better than they thought they did. hopefully we all will come out on top in 29 days!

im trying not to post exam analyze and look up answers to questions that i can remember to see if i chose the right one...a month of self-post game analysis is too much!

Took the exam, thought it went pretty well.

I guess we'll see what happens when we get the scores back though hmmm?

PS - Finished with about 15 minutes left over to re-check through my marked questions... thought this was a pretty good showing.

VR was definitely the most difficult aspect of this exam, this is the only section I needed to severely improve... As usual, no idea how this went??

BS - Finished with about 20 minutes to spare(Except the difficult genetics passage). It took me about 15 minutes to map it out and be sure of my answers... This was NOT an easy passage. The OChem was sweet, I was super happy about all the OChem!

Whew, I am glad to be done with that test! The P.S. section seemed easier than the practice, and the writing prompts were okay, but I did not like the verbal! Did anyone get the meteorology passage? I spent most my time trying to figure out what they were talking about! The bio was ridiculous, I will forever hate mice because of it!!

Thanks to the VS on this MCAT, I will never fall in love....should I care for myself or the desires of others???haha

So... yeah I took this 5/1 as well. Reading through the comments here are making me feel a bit better. I nearly voided my scores due to the BS section. So here are my thoughts

PS- much harder than practice aamc's... but I thought I did pretty well. I have always finished the practices with 10-15min to spare, but I barely finished this one.

Verbal- meh. I've usually don't do very well on it... usually scoring around a 9. Felt pretty much the same as on the practice ones. I felt like I did a good ammount of guessing on the first two passages.

WS- I wrote great essays. Really liked the topics.

BS-okay. So yeah. I haven't heard anyone else bitch about this passage yet which is making me feel bad...

the MENSTRUATION passage. That just completely kicked my ass. When I did my studying of this topic I sorta skimmed over it and didn't really understand it as I thought AAMC wouldn't put it on since I get the sense that females will have a better just of what hormones correspond to what.... anyway I was clearly wrong. I tried to figure out everything that was going on just from the passage, but it seemed too complicated for me to figure out from the passage alone. Anyway, I ended up guessing on ALL of those questions. I've never had this happen to me during a BS section... so i'm really worried.
OChem was pretty hard... but I think I did alright there.
The Genetics passage was crazy. I had to leave that passage and come back at the end and write things out carefully. I realized right at the end I might have made a mistake... and that lead me to realize that I either got all of none of those questions right. So we'll see.... Jebus. I've never done so poorly on BS. Normally scoring ~12 on them. I'm praying for a 10, probably won't happen.

ugh.... I really don't want to retake the mcat.

That was my third time and unfortunately also the last time taking MCAT this year (I voided the last two 3/28 and 4/18). Hopefully, I did well and I did finish the entire test without having to make random guesses due to not having enough time.
Physics: I really wish that heater/refridgerator circuit passage should only be experimental and felt that I guess on many questions for that particular one. Other than that, the I feel extremely confident.
Verbal: This is the first time, whether real or practice, I was able to finish the entire section with minimal guessing.
WS: BS :) didn't worry a lot about this section. I might as well just sleep through this part and get ready for BS.
BS: Like I have said before, a 10 would be extremely generous on their part. Again, I don't really know since I guessed on so many hard questions. Since Like many people have mentioned earlier, the curves are pre-determined. I am pretty sure they offer really generous curve for having such a difficult,unprecidented, section. On the plus side, I finish the entire exam with only about 5 minutes left, normally with 15-20 minutes :oops: and made numerous guesses on Ochem and experimental passages.
Overall: wait and see. this could either propell me to a medical school or break me and have me seek for something else instead, D.O, phD, clinical research, etc.