1/2 of all docs would 'do it again'? Is it all worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinemydear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a simple question for all you nontrads who have been through it - is it all worth it?

Medicine seems that it will be challenging, rewarding, and so, so interesting. However, I'm disheartened with some stats I've heard that only 1/2 of doctors today would 'do it all over' if they could.

I have a very rosy view of medicine, especially having been on the other side, and seeing the ins and outs of a very different type of job in marketing / business development.

I'm 29, and I'd like to know what sorts of sacrifices you have given up in order to fulfill this dream? I'm willing to sacrifice a lot, but I'd like to know, was it worth it? If it was not, why? Would you choose something else?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
From the wise DrMidlife:

No one here can tell you what you want to be when you grow up. In fact, if you have to ask the question, then the answer, at least for right now, at least for you, is a resounding no. This could be because you have decided subconsciously that medicine isn't worth it for yourself, or it could be because you haven't done enough due diligence to figure out the answer. If it's the latter, I suggest that you spend some time in a health care setting shadowing/volunteering/working so that you can gain some practical experience with the system and see what it's like working in it. This will help you decide whether medicine is worth it for YOU.

See also: post #3 in http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nontrads-that-made-it-to-medical-school-or-are-already-physicians-is-it-worth-it.1178947/

Reactions: 1 user
You have to remember that 1/2 of people would / wouldn't do it AGAIN. Doing it for the first time is different. Im not sure if I would do it again but I would do it the first time. I don't entirely agree with goro but respect his point. Being older in life you should be thinking more logically and less "passionately" about a big investment of time / effort imo. I don't think shadowing really offers much insight to the realities of medicine.

Everyones sacrifices are different. My sacrifice was mainly freedom in where I live. I broke up with my girlfriend because my path was much more linear, structured and less "free" than hers. She made a little money and had more freedom with her life while I am putting that on hold for later. She went to weddings of friends, trips with friends, wanted to go on vacations, etc that I couldn't always do because of exams / etc. Not to mention 4 years of being financially dependent on loans / parents / etc. She had to follow me and my dream.

Other friends have more time for family / etc but everyones happiness is different. Many classmates of mine are having kids in residency / etc. To each his own

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From the wise DrMidlife:

No one here can tell you what you want to be when you grow up. In fact, if you have to ask the question, then the answer, at least for right now, at least for you, is a resounding no. This could be because you have decided subconsciously that medicine isn't worth it for yourself, or it could be because you haven't done enough due diligence to figure out the answer. If it's the latter, I suggest that you spend some time in a health care setting shadowing/volunteering/working so that you can gain some practical experience with the system and see what it's like working in it. This will help you decide whether medicine is worth it for YOU.

See also: post #3 in http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nontrads-that-made-it-to-medical-school-or-are-already-physicians-is-it-worth-it.1178947/

I'm not asking anyone what I want to be when I grow up.. I think you're missing the point. I'm embarking on this journey and seeking some insight as to other people's experiences. Most people going into medicine see it through rose-colored glasses. Looking for a healthy dose of reality / insight as to other people's experiences, who have been through it, as I haven't.

You have to remember that 1/2 of people would / wouldn't do it AGAIN. Doing it for the first time is different. Im not sure if I would do it again but I would do it the first time. I don't entirely agree with goro but respect his point. Being older in life you should be thinking more logically and less "passionately" about a big investment of time / effort imo. I don't think shadowing really offers much insight to the realities of medicine.

Everyones sacrifices are different. My sacrifice was mainly freedom in where I live. I broke up with my girlfriend because my path was much more linear, structured and less "free" than hers. She made a little money and had more freedom with her life while I am putting that on hold for later. She went to weddings of friends, trips with friends, wanted to go on vacations, etc that I couldn't always do because of exams / etc. Not to mention 4 years of being financially dependent on loans / parents / etc. She had to follow me and my dream.

Other friends have more time for family / etc but everyones happiness is different. Many classmates of mine are having kids in residency / etc. To each his own

Totally agree with you on the more logically and less passionately part. You're right everyone's sacrifices are different, and I probably won't know until I go through it. Hope to have kids in residency also!! We'll see.

I'm not asking anyone what I want to be when I grow up.. I think you're missing the point. I'm embarking on this journey and seeking some insight as to other people's experiences. Most people going into medicine see it through rose-colored glasses. Looking for a healthy dose of reality / insight as to other people's experiences, who have been through it, as I haven't.
YOU are missing HIS point, which is that no one else can tell you if going into medicine is "worth it" for YOU. Whether *I* would do it again is a moot point. I don't have to do it again, and I couldn't do it again even if I wanted to. Plus, whether or not *I* would do it again has no bearing on whether YOU should do it. You are clearly already aware that going to medical school will require a great deal of sacrifice in terms of time, effort, and treasure. You are also clearly aware that are a lot of downsides of the career. So the question is, do you love medicine enough to want to do it in spite of all the significant sacrifices and downsides? Only you can answer that question. If you don't know yet, then you need to start getting some clinical experience (shadowing, volunteering, and/or work experience) to help you decide.

I have a simple question for all you nontrads who have been through it - is it all worth it?

As a fellow non-trad about to board the ship (starting med school in August), I like this question. I'd love to hear from non-trads who are on the other side of training. How do other non-trads feel after they have been through it all? Would you go back and make the same decision? What were your regrets and how did you overcome those?

I'm disheartened with some stats I've heard that only 1/2 of doctors today would 'do it all over' if they could.

Although I hear these stats all the time as evidence that medicine is a beast of a career, as a scientist I wonder what the control group is for these stats? I've seen many studies that say over half of all Americans are "unhappy" with their chosen career. (ie: Most Americans Are Unhappy At Work)

Maybe the stats for physicians are actually better in terms of job satisfaction than the general public.

The "would you do it again" data never gets qualified by "did you ever have a job and pay your own rent before you were in residency?" In other words I agree that medicine job satisfaction isn't unique. Except that it takes so much time and money to get to the job. Compare it to astronaut job satisfaction.

I'm a big fat career changer and I love what I get to do clinically. No regrets in giving up one professional skill set for another.

That said, what I had to do to get this far (residency) was completely unreasonable and foolish in terms of time, money, geography, relationships, life balance, lost opportunities, likelihood of ever retiring, etc.

Nothing I prioritized as a premed ended up being relevant at all, other than the nonspecific ambition to practice medicine. Not even with 20+ years extra life experience compared to the normal premeds. For instance I spent extra time and money to be an MD vs. a DO and that was a big mistake. (There were a whole lot fewer new/religious/for-profit DO schools then - no regrets about missing out on that.)

My strongest regret is believing as a premed that I'd do so well academically that I'd have limitless choices. Academic success in med school is everything. For everybody. Half the class is in the bottom half of the class. I am painfully overqualified to advise low GPA premeds not to do medicine. If I would have known as a premed where I'd land (primary care) I wouldn't have doggedly kept at it.

tl;dr: I love what I get to do. I don't recommend going through what I had to go through to get to do it.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 5 users
YOU are missing HIS point, which is that no one else can tell you if going into medicine is "worth it" for YOU. Whether *I* would do it again is a moot point. I don't have to do it again, and I couldn't do it again even if I wanted to. Plus, whether or not *I* would do it again has no bearing on whether YOU should do it. You are clearly already aware that going to medical school will require a great deal of sacrifice in terms of time, effort, and treasure. You are also clearly aware that are a lot of downsides of the career. So the question is, do you love medicine enough to want to do it in spite of all the significant sacrifices and downsides? Only you can answer that question. If you don't know yet, then you need to start getting some clinical experience (shadowing, volunteering, and/or work experience) to help you decide.

I appreciate the input, but I think you both are missing the entire point of this question/thread. Obviously I'm not you and you're not me. I'm not looking for you to tell me if it's worth it for me. I'm looking for insight / other nontrads experiences and stories, how everything has gone throughout the journey, and if at the end, if the journey and sacrifices has been worth it for them, and if they would do it again.

The "would you do it again" data never gets qualified by "did you ever have a job and pay your own rent before you were in residency?" In other words I agree that medicine job satisfaction isn't unique. Except that it takes so much time and money to get to the job. Compare it to astronaut job satisfaction.

I'm a big fat career changer and I love what I get to do clinically. No regrets in giving up one professional skill set for another.

That said, what I had to do to get this far (residency) was completely unreasonable and foolish in terms of time, money, geography, relationships, life balance, lost opportunities, likelihood of ever retiring, etc.

Nothing I prioritized as a premed ended up being relevant at all, other than the nonspecific ambition to practice medicine. Not even with 20+ years extra life experience compared to the normal premeds. For instance I spent extra time and money to be an MD vs. a DO and that was a big mistake. (There were a whole lot fewer new/religious/for-profit DO schools then - no regrets about missing out on that.)

My strongest regret is believing as a premed that I'd do so well academically that I'd have limitless choices. Academic success in med school is everything. For everybody. Half the class is in the bottom half of the class. I am painfully overqualified to advise low GPA premeds not to do medicine. If I would have known as a premed where I'd land (primary care) I wouldn't have doggedly kept at it.

tl;dr: I love what I get to do. I don't recommend going through what I had to go through to get to do it.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks so much for your input. I was debating the same thing as well - MD / DO, and if should I wait more time to make myself more competitive is my biggest thing with making that decision, but I think I'd be just as happy with DO in the long run. I hope to do EM one day (that may very well change), but if I go the DO route, I know it's tougher to match into tough specialties, or so I hear.

I'd like to see the 50% stat compared to that of the general population. I think a rate of 50% happy they consciously pursued their path and willing to do it again is pretty damn good. 99% of office drones would pick a different profession immediately, if it didn't mean disrupting their families and living situations. That 50% of doctors like their jobs enough that they'd be willing to slog through 8-10 years of heck to do it again sounds pretty good to me.

I appreciate the input, but I think you both are missing the entire point of this question/thread. Obviously I'm not you and you're not me. I'm not looking for you to tell me if it's worth it for me. I'm looking for insight / other nontrads experiences and stories, how everything has gone throughout the journey, and if at the end, if the journey and sacrifices has been worth it for them, and if they would do it again.
It's harder than you think it's going to be, with higher highs and lower lows. Knowing in advance what residency in particular is like, I would not want to go through training again, but there's no question that being an attending is a very different (and much better) experience than being a resident. If you ask me whether I'd do it again, it depends on the time of the day and the phase of the moon and whether I woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning. In other words, I can't give an acontextual answer to that question because it's not acontextual. There is no universal "worth it." And even if there were, as I tried to explain, my answer to this acontextual question (or anyone else's) tells you absolutely nothing that you need or want to know about what you should do. You're not asking the right question here.

You said before that you currently have a rosy view about medicine. Well, the first thing on your agenda then should be to replace that rosy view with a more realistic view of the pros and cons of the career. If you still love medicine despite the downsides, then med school may indeed be "worth it" in your case. There are plenty of docs out there who love working as physicians. If you decide the price is too steep, and many other people feel that way very strongly, then your conclusion will be that it is not "worth it." Everyone has to come to their own conclusion about this.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dr Michael Debakey lived to be 99 and worked until the day he died. You have to do something in life so why not choose something for which you have passion? So trite but so true: age is but a number.
You can be a Debakey MD or be a persona non grata, MD. That's all on you.

I could have graduated with my MD 2 years ago but I postponed it to pick up an MBA because I saw the landscape for what it is: business. There are so many friggin opportunities out there that it is staggering. The adage applies: if you build it they will come.

I've got offers coming at me left and right from various sectors in clinical, academic and business settings. My marketability is astronomical compared to my previous life of 9 years clinical setting, and 11 years in biotech industry making a 6 figure income. All worth it. No regrets. none.

Medicine seems that it will be challenging, rewarding, and so, so interesting. However, I'm disheartened with some stats I've heard that only 1/2 of doctors today would 'do it all over' if they could.

half of marriages end up in divorce. Does that stop people from getting married?
God if only they stopped getting married and fixed themselves first! Same applies to aspiring physicians.

I have a very rosy view of medicine, especially having been on the other side, and seeing the ins and outs of a very different type of job in marketing / business development.

Others have stated the obvious: until you get in the trenches, you won't know so why are you wasting time on these boards asking questions that only you can answer by getting your hands dirty?

Quit your job, take the Pre-Med courses and prepare for the MCAT, take a job at a hospital as a janitor during the graveyard shift, get to know people and if you like the environment, start introducing yourself to people in the hospital in the clinical setting. You say you have a rosey picture of medicine. It will fade fast or become more colorful once you taste medicine.

"Taste and see!" it is very applicable here.

There's nothing like having a patient grab your throat with his hands as you are transferring him from an ER stretcher and onto an OR table, preparing him for emergency surgery due to an MVA while DUI. I will never forget the rush, the thrill and the fear...all at once. Or have blood splash all over your OR room and duck because a hose bust on a pump. Nothing can replicate the fear of death after having a dirty needle stick. Talk about panic...in the days before PCR viral load tests. HIV meds are not fun but I can tell HIV positive patients now that I get a sense of what those meds do to them. It totally changed my attitude towards AIDS patients and HIV patients. Business was fun and working a room was a blast. But they pale compared to turning off a heart lung bypass pump machine as instructed by a CT surgeon, that is keeping a pediatric patient alive, and the quietly sobbing in the hallway (with the surgeon) away from the family.

You can't get those "highs" in business. I got paid really well, more than most primary care physicians, and yet....I wanted the MD. I'm damn glad I am where I am.

It just doesn't get any better than this.

I'm 29, and I'd like to know what sorts of sacrifices you have given up in order to fulfill this dream? I'm willing to sacrifice a lot, but I'd like to know, was it worth it? If it was not, why? Would you choose something else?

The Catholic Church won't let people like me be priests so it's medicine. I have asked my pastor if there is a chance I might be allowed to be a Deacon one day but Pope Francis is still mulling that over. My husband is all for it.

Never lose kindness and politeness. You'd be surprised how far you can get with people of influence by just being kind and engaging. Some examples of where being un-kind yet having an MD cost Residents/Attendings dearly:

I've seen Residents arrested, taken out of the hospital and thrown into a police car, then see their mug shot on TV. I witnessed a PD get into a fist fight with a Resident, both were kicked out, but the PD was hired a month later at the higher paying hospital for more money, where as the Resident was SOL. I've seen Attendings fired from hospitals where they were once "king" (in their minds) and reduced to slime mold at a no name hospital. I've seen US Marshalls show up at a private clinic and arrest everyone, and eventually see the physicians names (plural) published in the local paper ....not in a good way. Or the former surgical resident, turned Chief Surgical Resident, turned Surgical Oncology Fellow, turned Surgical Oncologist Attending, thoroughly alienate an entire conference room full of senior, experienced, important Surgical Oncology Attendings during Tumor Boards in his first few months of employment, and become persona non grata in less than 1 hour's time. I had known this person as a surgical resident and watched with pride as he moved up the chain. After the tumor board meeting where he was excoriated, I told him: "congratulations, you have successfully become the Attending you hated when you were a Resident" and I walked away. His life was miserable at his cancer center by his own hand. He didn't last a year.

Don't feel sorry for any of the physicians who are "miserable" or have "regrets". Do you feel sorry for half of the marriages who end up in divorce? We all choose our own paths.

There are good physicians. There are bad physicians. Choose your path.

Reactions: 2 users
This seemed relevant to the discussion:

"In a 2015 survey conducted by Mercer, 42 percent of those who say the essentially love their jobs are looking to leave. That figure actually happens to be slightly higher than the percentage of unsatisfied workers – 37% – who say they are looking to leave."
Why Do What You Love Is Terrible Career Advice

Thank you very much to all of those who have shared their perspectives, and to all of those who may do so in the future.

@DrMidlife : Do you have any insight, based on your academic experiences in medical school, regarding what you might have done differently to make the academic success you were hoping for more likely?

Basically, if you had followed a schedule like the one below, as outlined by @operaman; presuming that you were not doing it already; do you think it would have made a difference for you?

Or, more generally, do you think following such a schedule could have made a positive, significant difference for other medical students in your situation?

Ultimately, though, if everyone did this, we would still have half the class in the bottom half, so this may not be doing much for the academic arms race of medical school class rank.

Thanks, in advance, for your consideration and potential insight. I have always appreciated your contributions to SDN.

[Help...
I've tutored a lot of people and frequently get asked by our dean's office to work with underclassmen who are repeating/remediating. What I've found to be universally true for all the people I've worked with who aren't performing at the level they'd like to be:

They aren't working nearly hard enough. Not even close.

Now, you aren't failing at this point so you're doing something right, but I would be willing to bet any amount of money that you aren't putting in 25% of the effort you should be. Most people I work with who are failing (even just barely failing) have no concept of just how hard you have to work and how consistently you have to work that hard.

So here's a rough schedule for typical class days:

6am: wake up, shower, eat breakfast
6:30am: arrive at library
6:30am-8am: Work through any Anki or Firecracker cards you have due; repeat pre-reading for any especially tough lectures
8am-12pm: Classes. Go to them. Take notes. Use paper. No non-class internet/texting/email during this period
12-1:00: lunch
1:00-3:00: rewatch every lecture from that morning at 2x speed
3:00-3:15: break
3:15-5:15: Make anki cards for any memorizeable factoids from that day's lectures; read supplementary sources/textbooks
5:15-6:00: dinner
6pm-8pm: Read other sources/watch videos covering any topics from that day (pathoma, Kaplan, firecracker, robbins, etc)
8pm-9:30: pre-read all of tomorrow's lectures; finish any due anki cards
9:30-10:30pm: Relax
10:30: lights out

Repeat.

For weekends, take 1/2 a day off; review past week's material and preview Monday's lectures with the rest of the time (10-12 hours one day; 4-6 hours on the other)

Do that for this next block and see how you do.

Last edited:
Do you have any insight, based on your academic experiences in medical school, regarding what you might have done differently to make the academic success you were hoping for more likely?
Extremely challenging question, in that the list of responses I can distinctly tell I'm having include: insulted, defensive, cynical, eye rolling, intention-to-help, overgeneralizing, rationalizing, multiple cycles of guilt/shame/regret alternating with accomplishment/overachievement/so glad it's over, mental review of my CV just since I started med school which was 3-4 times longer than my average classmate, inventory of the specialties/locations I could have kept on my differential with a better Step 1, review of how completely arbitrary it seemed when Step 1 scores started being sort of public knowledge like "really? HE only got a 215?" or "of course that dickhead got a 260" or the visceral liquefaction of "did you hear she didn't pass?" because that fear has been chewing on your spleen for 2 years waking you up at night maybe making you lose hair in clumps or at least vomit a fair bit, and how then the derm-obsessed guy quietly changed to psych and that peds guy with the unironic bow tie is suddenly going ENT. Some people who never went to class killed Step 1. Some people who never went to class didn't come back third year. Yes there's absolutely a correlation between those who had impeccable discipline and their Step 1 scores. And there are a whole lot of arbitrary outcomes. (Don't even get me started on the arbitrary shock and awe of match day.)

The insulting part is "well if you just worked harder,..." As an obsessive collector of study strategies, I can tell you I never got any advice I could use that had the word "just" in it. Every person in my class could have worked harder. Maybe 90% of us were utterly committed to do whatever it took to be in the 15% who get AOA. Maybe 75% of my class worked themselves into a mental or physical disorder, at least temporarily.

Operaman's advice is good. If you are able to apply operaman's advice right now, while you're taking the prereqs, and you're able to use that structure to get killer scores on multiple exams, then congrats! You found what is going to work for you! What a relief! Thank goodness you got out of the habit of caring about the internet. You won't have to flop around like a flounder in the first couple months of med school. (gif of exhausted fish mouth goes here)

Or. Your survival might depend on prioritizing exercise above all else. It might depend on being able to regularly get out of town. It might depend on your personality and/or your ability to get in with a good crowd. It might depend on you discovering your magical life balance thing, maybe running marathons, maybe running a free clinic, that costs you exam points but gets you through. It might depend on you finding the right counselor and/or antidepressant and/or off-label "study aid" soon enough. It might depend on your finances, your ability to avoid a **** roommate, your allergies. Your ability to not poison your own well.

I think people have heard the five pancakes thing. In med school you have to eat 5 pancakes every day, whether you want pancakes or not, whether you're hungry or not. If you skip a day you have to eat 10. Then 15. Then 20. But there's more to it. In med school you have to constantly pick yourself and your fork back up off the floor where you landed when the pancakes hit you with a shovel, and you have to get back at those pancakes that are just as likely to eat you as you are to eat them. 5 a day. For years.

I have no idea if any of that will be useful. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 3 users
50X PANCAKES

lvchappelle28n.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I have no idea if any of that will be useful. Best of luck to you.

Thank you for sharing the perspective, @DrMidlife . I did find it very useful, although I certainly did not intend to upset you, and I apologize for apparently triggering the series of reactions that you described.

You have made, and continue to make, SDN an incredible resource, and I sincerely thank you for all the time and effort that you have invested here.

I believe medicine is very fortunate to have you, and I hope that you find the experience as fulfilling as possible, despite the many challenges that the career pathway can present.

Best wishes, as always, in everything that you're up to, and I hope that you're having an excellent day.

Thanks!

I'm halfway through training. I just graduated from an MD school and have four years of residency ahead of me. Reflecting back on the past handful of years I will say that I have had moments of both extremes. Burnout is real and it hits most of us for the first time (if it didn't hit in pre-med) in medical school. I definitely went through a phase where I wasn't sure if I was continuing because the debt I had built up was absolutely un-payable if I didn't do finish and ultimately practice medicine or if I really did want to do it. I've had phases where I'm almost breathless with how excited I am to be doing this. The breathless excitement happened a lot more toward the beginning of medical school than the end.

I think that a big reason that a lot of doctors aren't as satisfied as doctors previously may have been is that there is a lot of non-medical nonsense that has to be done in order to do the part of medicine that most doctors genuinely love. The documentation and paperwork can get oppressive. I actually just saw an article yesterday about how the number of physician owned practices are in decline. More and more often doctors are finding out that autonomous practice is financially unsustainable (for a swath of reasons that is a discussion for another day) and more and more physicians are finding themselves as employees of large organizations or hospitals or members of groups so large that their individual voice is not as heard as it once was. In a profession that not terribly long ago was full of autonomous practitioners, this can be hard for a lot of people to accept and make peace with.

Right now I'm genuinely glad that I decided to go down this path. I know that residency is going to be a grind, especially this first year that I'm kicking off in four short weeks, but I think that going into it fully aware of the challenges will blunt it to some degree. I was very wide-eyed and idealistic when I started medical school. It was the things that I didn't really expect that were the most difficult to power through. One of the biggest surprises was how much anxiety goes into the residency application process. I remember as a pre-med being so sure that if I could just get into medical school, it was all downhill from there (Ha!!). I don't deal super well with uncertainty and loss of control so playing the waiting game and going through the "online dating" of the residency match was exhausting. It's different from medical school application in a lot of ways but it's similar in a lot of ways as well.

As far as sacrifices I've had to go through...to be perfectly honest, the biggest challenges I had during medical school were relatively unrelated to medical school and it was mostly that my personal life and the chaos of that at the time bled over into my studies. Being really drained emotionally and mentally from other things (among other things I got a divorce and ended up a single parent with sole custody during my third year of medical school) made it really hard to focus on school as much as I may have wanted. Don't get me wrong - medical school itself was a beast. I'm not trying to make it sound like I breezed through. It's just that my personal challenges were bigger and often had to take precedence.

TL;DR - most recent grads I know have gone through some version of this roller coaster. I know some people that quit along the way too after discovering that it wasn't worth it. There are a lot of great things about medicine but there are a lot of frustrating things too. I totally agree with the advise to try to get a less rosy picture of medicine. If you have shadowing opportunities, make sure to ask the physicians that you shadow what it is that they do not like about medicine. Ask about paperwork or documentation that they have to do. If they're private practice, ask about billing headaches. If they're academic, ask about research challenges or what sort of extra teaching type stuff they have to do on top of other responsibilities. Ask about how much of their work they have to do from home after they call it a day in the office or hospital. I'd bet that almost every one of them will have something to say about something on that list. For some people the extra bs makes it not worth it. For others it's just part of the job they signed up for and it's fine. Neither is the "right" answer. But getting a real sense of the less exciting and glamorous parts of medicine is something I'd recommend to any pre-med, even those who think they are SURE that this is what they want to do.

My first preclinical year so far has sucked the joy out of medicine. I have gotten more pessimistic and critical about everything. Hopefully, things will get better from here. Nowadays, I just want to toss a plate of salad of any PhD lecturer. I really do enjoy lectures from our clinicians.

My first preclinical year so far has sucked the joy out of medicine. I have gotten more pessimistic and critical about everything. Hopefully, things will get better from here. Nowadays, I just want to toss a plate of salad of any PhD lecturer. I really do enjoy lectures from our clinicians.

I struggled through the preclinical years. I'm not very good at sitting in lecture and so much of what we were learning, especially that first year seemed so removed from actual patients. I made a point of doing some sort of volunteering in our student clinics, shadowing in our trauma bay, or something else where I got to interact with actual patients to keep me motivated. Third year is so much better! Harder in a lot of ways but you at least feel like you're maybe doing what you set out to do. Keep your head up!

Non trad resident here who's coming into the final stretch of this transitional decade. Would I do it again? Absolutely. Sacrifices? Almost none. At least none that spring to mind. I don't mean to paint some hyper-idyllic picture of medicine -'I've definitely watched it tear people apart - but my personal experience has been truly wonderful.

Maybe that's because I really love the work. I loved the work back in Med school. I love it now as a resident. The day to day routine hard work of taking care of sick human beings. Of pouring over books and papers. I love the transcendent moments too, the thrilling life saving ones, but those are merely the punctuation marks for some lovely run on sentences. Like many things in life, happiness is deeply tied to expectations. Like actors who live only for the applause and acclaim and burn out when they find that to be a minuscule fraction of the job, so do physicians with similarly misplaced expectations.

I used to be better at pulling out inspiring stories from the trenches but truly moving and inspiring moments keep coming so fast that they almost become a blur. I was an artist before medicine and have approached this whole thing with that same artistic mindset. Someone quoted my basic study schedule above as an extreme example, but to me it's just how I've spent my life - I just subbed one art for another a few years ago.

Now when I find myself in transcendently powerful moments there is no curtain that comes down and the actors don't always get up off the floor and take a bow. It's like being an artist without a net. There are some devastating moments as well. Personally I find tragedy that affects children to be especially gut wrenching. You definitely need to have healthy ways to process these moments, sometimes rather quickly.

I don't know the magic recipe for happiness in medicine, but I have a hunch that realistic expectations and healthy coping mechanisms are in there. A love for the work, for the journey itself, is probably part of it too.

Thanks!

Finishing 1st of med school myself, and just a few comments. At 33, newly married, one of the older ones on campus, and with a "weak" science background: this year was brutal, but extremely rewarding. Would I choose to do it "AGAIN"? Probably not. Would I chose to go through it a "first time" again (not repeat the experience a second time, but do it again a first time), heck yes.

No one can tell you what you want, what you're willing to go through, how hard you're willing to work, and what you're willing to give up to get there. That's in your heart alone. This is a decision only you can make, and life only you can assign a value to.

It seems like a lot of professions dislike their own profession eh. I wonder what the underlying psychology is behind this...

I am looking forward to sharing my feedback. I enjoy reading how others reflect on their experiences.

Thanks so much for your input. I was debating the same thing as well - MD / DO, and if should I wait more time to make myself more competitive is my biggest thing with making that decision, but I think I'd be just as happy with DO in the long run. I hope to do EM one day (that may very well change), but if I go the DO route, I know it's tougher to match into tough specialties, or so I hear.
Yes!
I struggled with this so much too! I read your comment and the one by Dr. Midlife. Thanks for sharing.
My own insecurities bother me. I'm learning to really love my TCOM acceptance. Onward, to victory.