$1,400 Stimulus and $3,000 incr Child Tax Credit -- Should I work less?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love these threads.

So many off the wall topics
Machete seems like a good way to get yourself killed.

Stick to pepper spray.

If you have to defend yourself from a mob, you need rifles/shotguns with large magazines. Preferably a friend or three. Some real training better than any of it.

Might want to look up the LA riots.

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t just look at the incremental revenue that a person receives working vs unemployment, you also need to consider potential costs for them to return to work that they may not have when unemployed. Getting used to spending a lot of time with young kids vs. now also having to pay for childcare so you can work... transportation costs, people that have moved since the start of the pandemic, finding a new job altogether because your previous employer may not be around or staffing to the same levels yet....

I don’t want people to want to stay unemployed. There 100% are and will be people that continue to think that is, in their opinion, the best path forward for them, regardless of what you or I think. The goal should be to minimize that group. Financial offsets to remain unemployed doesn’t really help the cause to get them working again...

That is a fair point, but generally a lower income worker is getting state subsidies/tax write-offs for daycare, so cutting out daycare cost doesn't mean more money in their pocket. However, with schools closed, parents who previously depended on schools for childcare, may suddenly have to pay for babysitters, which means they suddenly are making less than unemployment even if they get the same salary.

Walmart can afford to pay poverty wages

One of the reasons they can, is because the government is subsidizing them. If their employees were starving and homeless and sick (because they weren't getting food stamps/WIC, rent subsidies, state subsidized medical insurance or medicare).....well then suddenly Walmart probably would be paying more to their employees then what they currently are.

For whoever thinks inflation is not real:

I went to 5 guys last night and bought 1 double cheeseburger, 1 children’s cheeseburger, and 1 large fries (no drink or extras). Cost was 23 dollars.

I don’t care what kind of fancy charts I am shown or calculations which are skewed to hide reality - inflation is very real and it’s going to continue to get worse. In my opinion...

So very true.....girls don't eat much, but boys, and 3 of mine are teenagers.....our food bill has easily went up at least $100/week. Admittedly we could be shopping sales, eating out less, and buying cheaper if we had to.....I'm just saying buying the same stuff we were before, our food bill has went up that much.

Reactions: 1 user
One of the reasons they can, is because the government is subsidizing them. If their employees were starving and homeless and sick (because they weren't getting food stamps/WIC, rent subsidies, state subsidized medical insurance or medicare).....well then suddenly Walmart probably would be paying more to their employees then what they currently are.

Walmart is all about that EBT clientele

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread has veered very far off the initial topic of economic issues.
The thread will stay open for now if you can stay on topic, thanks for abiding by TOS rules.

Walmart started offering $1000 "sign-on" bonuses for certified techs ($500 for non-certified techs) (min 6 months of employment or subject to recoupment) independent of FT/PT/temp status.

Fortunately it is retroactive to Feb 2 so any new hires before March 19 don't feel like they are cheated.

As for current techs who got a max of $600 in Feb, LOL

Why work when you can just collect dat stimuli