1 month prep enough for NBDE Part 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SmileBlueJay

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a D3 foreign dental student. I just finished my finals and am now on summer break until September so I plan on taking NBDE Part 1 late August or beginning of September (yeah rip, no break for me).

My first question is should I even attempt it if I only have a month? I would like to pass it on my first attempt.
My plan is to watch "Pass the Dental boards" videos first then use dental deck/first aid (please recommend which is better as I probably won't have enough time for both?) along with mastery app. On the last week, I plan to work on past RQ files/ASDA released exams.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

Thank you all in advance!!
 
I'm a D3 foreign dental student. I just finished my finals and am now on summer break until September so I plan on taking NBDE Part 1 late August or beginning of September (yeah rip, no break for me).

My first question is should I even attempt it if I only have a month? I would like to pass it on my first attempt.
My plan is to watch "Pass the Dental boards" videos first then use dental deck/first aid (please recommend which is better as I probably won't have enough time for both?) along with mastery app. On the last week, I plan to work on past RQ files/ASDA released exams.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

Thank you all in advance!!

A week is sufficient unless it got a lot harder recently. Back when there was scoring, decks were enough to get a 95 with a week of studying.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A week is sufficient unless it got a lot harder recently. Back when there was scoring, decks were enough to get a 95 with a week of studying.
Okay thank you because on mastery app, they said the recommended time to study for NBDE 1 is 2 months and for international dentists it's 5 months so I wasn't sure if I can make it in 1 month
 
I just took the exam. I studied for two weeks.

I thought it was really hard and that i failed miserably. I passed. If i had studied for another week I think would have lost my mind. A month is way too long and two months is just nuts.

My friends and I studied different times: 6 days, 2 months. 2 weeks, 3 weeks. we all felt the same afterwards and we have all passed so far.

If i had to take the exam again, i would use the decks. I relied fully on the app which is why there was so much on my exam that I never studied during my review.

I do not recommend the first aid book if you're crunched for time. spend more time practicing, less time studying. There is just way too much on the exam to worry about a full review.
 
Last edited: