1 semester of bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoosier77

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok..so my undergrad does not require students who have taken biology in high school to take the first semester of general biology. However, as we all know, med schools require 2 semesters of it. Will other bio courses such as cell bio, molecular bio, genetics, etc. fulfill this requirement or should I take the Bio I just to be safe? (I will be a biochem major of that makes any difference)

Members don't see this ad.

Take upper level bio courses. I'm sure your biochem requirements will fulfill the med school bio requirements.

I'm pretty sure you will have to take it again in college. For one, you said that your college doesn't require you to take Bio I if you had it in high school, but did you get AP/IB credit for it? If not, you definitely have to retake it. Even so, med schools would probably want you to do most of your science pre-reqs at the university level (with labs).

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I did not take AP or anything, just basic high school biology. The biochem major at my school doesn't require Bio I, since it does not count toward the major. My advisor insisted that I skip Bio I and jump straight into Bio II in the fall then take Cell Bio in the spring.

EDIT: She told me to take molecular bio in the spring not cell bio, sorry

No, I did not take AP or anything, just basic high school biology. The biochem major at my school doesn't require Bio I, since it does not count toward the major. My advisor insisted that I skip Bio I and jump straight into Bio II in the fall then take Cell Bio in the spring.

there are some schools where Gen Bios 1 and 2 are combined in 1 semester (UNC Chapel Hill)... in ur college's case, gen bio 1 is actually introductory bio (and thus doesn't count towards any major).. and gen bio 2 is the combination of the majors bio 1 & 2 at othe U's..

so, it'll be fine for u to just take gen bio 2 and than upper level bio's

The smart money would be on taking Bio I. I don't see how you would gain by not taking it. It's a foundation course and if you do find it easy then it's going to be a great way to start out college with a guaranteed "A."